MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DallasMaverick - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 06:55 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: They probably are, it's just that Sefko's word carries weight because he's literally employed by the Mavs. We've seen several sources confirm Campazzo is the guy so that's probably the truth but for Sefko to so clearly state something in this article only to be entirely wrong would make me lose all respect for him. Like why are you even here if you can get basic facts correct, Eddie? You can't even give him the benefit of the doubt in his wording or anything, he plainly states that Wright is getting the last roster spot.

Can't see them keeping both Campazzo and Wright.  Too similar.

So either Wright is signed to a two-way, or Campazzo reports are untrue. Or, I suppose, someone else is being cut.  But that doesn't make much sense economically.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 07:24 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Can't see them keeping both Campazzo and Wright.  Too similar.

So either Wright is signed to a two-way, or Campazzo reports are untrue. Or, I suppose, someone else is being cut.  But that doesn't make much sense economically.

Maybe the big trade is finally happening lmfaooooooo

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Tyler - 10-12-2022

I think the safe bet right now is that Sefko jumped the gun on who gets the 15th spot and who gets the last 2-way deal. We'll see.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 07:54 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Maybe the big trade is finally happening lmfaooooooo

If you trade Campazzo for almost anyone, that player is almost guaranteed to be bigger.  Big trade and Mark Cuban redeemed!

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - omahen - 10-13-2022

(10-12-2022, 11:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Man, I hate it.  I am going to be depressed by our freaking two way spots again.  I know it is small beans, but I always feel like we don't really care about them.    Both Bingham and Gueye are intriguing guys I would like to see developed in the G-league for a year, but neither are legit two way guys at this stage in my opinion.  I think Wright is a solid player and could be emergency insurance.   Although, if we bring in Campazzo I am not sure keeping Wright around is the best use of a two way slot.   The Mavs were slow after the draft where there were some very intriguing undrafted guys who were picked up quickly.

IMO, your two way spots should be a system.  One guy should be one year away from competing for a roster spot and the other guy is more of a long range developmental guy (two years).   Then next year the long range guy moves up to the front of the line.   Sure, you are always looking to upgrade, but the vision for these guys should be to work with them and try to reach certain thresholds during the year.   They are all long shots but some teams have developed real players through their G-league.  They are also cheap labor.

I agree. Miami is a stellar example, regularly developing rotation guys from nowhere

(14) Shams Charania on Twitter: "The Miami Heat are signing guard Dru Smith to a two-way NBA contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Smith, in his second season in the Heat system, had a 15-point preseason performance on Monday and makes the team's roster out of camp." / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-13-2022

(10-12-2022, 08:05 PM)Tyler Wrote: I think the safe bet right now is that Sefko jumped the gun on who gets the 15th spot and who gets the last 2-way deal. We'll see.

That, or they just turned the page on Campazzo and chose Wright instead. 

Either way, I just hope they add an emergency PG. They could sign @"fifteenth" to fill that spot and it would be an improvement over nothing.

EDIT: Just saw in the other thread that Campazzo's deal seems official. Yeah, I think Brad just got this one wrong. Or, maybe he's assuming the "about to cut Dorsey" rumors are true?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-13-2022

(10-12-2022, 08:05 PM)Tyler Wrote: I think the safe bet right now is that Sefko jumped the gun on who gets the 15th spot and who gets the last 2-way deal. We'll see.

I think technically (and temporarily) Sefko is correct.  Wright is our 15th man...right now.  But, Dallas has a few days still to make that decision.  If we sign Campazzo, Wright is either the two-way or let go just like the other four.  If today was the final day to get rosters to 15, this would all matter, but it isn’t and there is still time to be flexible.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-13-2022

Is there any chance Wright will be a 2-way? I don't fully grasp the rules for eligibility.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ItsGoTime - 10-13-2022

(10-13-2022, 09:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is there any chance Wright will be a 2-way? I don't fully grasp the rules for eligibility.
This was my immediate thought when both were reported as being signed. Facu, I think, has to be an actual roster spot. Wright, I assume, would be the last 2-way.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - mvossman - 10-13-2022

(10-13-2022, 10:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This was my immediate thought when both were reported as being signed. Facu, I think, has to be an actual roster spot. Wright, I assume, would be the last 2-way.

A little strange if they sign both as they are such similar players for an emergency role.  Maybe the thought is to see if Wright turns into something eventually but go with the vet (and Luka's buddy) for this season.

It never made sense to sign Dorsey to a 2 way given how much money he is giving up.  I don't remember if it was Gump or Dan who suggested the plan was to move Dorsey to the 15th spot if he played out in camp, but now they are going to sign Facu to that spot and maybe Wright to Dorsey's 2 way spot.

Facu was actually a productive NBA player 2 seasons ago and is not that old.  To be honest for the role we are offering (emergency 3rd point guard/cheerleader) he is probably about the best you could hope for.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-14-2022

(10-09-2022, 07:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:
JM---------/CW--------------------/JM------/MK-------/
DS--------------/MK----------------/DS-----------------/
RB------------/TH------------------/RB-----------------/
JH------------/SD--------------------/LD----------------/
LD----------------------/JG-----------/TH---------------/

The above is what happened in the last pre season game.  Don’t know if the first half tonight will be the normal rotation, but below is a stab at what it will be during the regular season now that we know Dinwiddie is starting (the graph is designed to depict a half of basketball).  One of the things I’m interested to see is whether Luka continues to play the entire first/third quarter.  If he comes out earlier, it is easier to get Dinwiddie more rest so that he can close (kind of like Maxi did last week).  My presumption is Josh will get all of the Hardy minutes (maybe not tonight though).  

If we consider Josh an on-ball defender (which is how they have been using him), then one of DFS and Maxi is in at all times and one of Reggie and Josh is in at all times.  Also, Wood does get a few sneaky minutes at the five with Luka as lineups are transitioning both in and out in the first/third or second/fourth.  Otherwise, his minutes are with Maxi.  What might change this up is if Wood closes halves instead of Dinwiddie.  Then Luka can play the entire first quarter because Wood (like Maxi) can go out quickly enough in the second/fourth to come back in for the final 3-4 minutes of each half.

JM__________CW__________    __________JM____MK______
DS______________MK______    ________DS______________
RB______________JG______     __________RB____________
SD__________TH__________    ________________SD______
LD_________________SD___    ________LD______________

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Hypermav - 10-14-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1580937951089164288?s=20&t=5uMUG1JH2W1xXoaafRshqA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Hypermav - 10-14-2022

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1580939920180322304?s=20&t=uUIOAg7mansH6lHz6VURxw

Just don't let Powell in that meeting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - dirkfansince1998 - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 11:36 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Just don't let Powell in that meeting.

You want to exclude the NBPA player representative and one of the three members of the leadership council?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ItsGoTime - 10-14-2022

From a coaching staff meeting? Yes!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-14-2022

I'd rather Dwight be a coach than a player.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-14-2022

Well Kemba is being waived.  Would you prefer him or Campazzo?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - SleepingHero - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 12:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Well Kemba is being waived.  Would you prefer him or Campazzo?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1580954915949551616

I'd honestly like both. 1 to fill the Burke role, the other for injury insurance. No way we can create a roster spot for both though. I think at this point with Kemba's knee's and his 2nd buyout in 3 years, I'd rather have Campazzo.

(10-14-2022, 12:06 PM)cow Wrote: I'd rather Dwight be a coach than a player.

I 100% believe Powell will be the Mavs in some front office/coaching capacity sooner than later. Only a matter of time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-14-2022

I don't think we'll sign Kemba but he still gives you a dimension of scoring that no one on the team can give save for Luka.  He had a 44 point game last year.  I get all the health and defensive liability concerns.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-14-2022

(10-14-2022, 12:34 PM)cow Wrote: I don't think we'll sign Kemba but ....

"No" to Kemba. "No" to Dragic." I get the impression that Kidd's fingerprints are all over these decisions.

Apparently NEITHER was thought by the Mavs to be a satisfactory solution, and isn't the common denominator that neither can play much defense anymore? Then I notice how Kidd demands defense, with it being the calling card to get minutes on his team. 

It feels like Kidd is vetoing players from being signed, because they don't fit what he's trying to build. And OTOH, "Yes" to having guys like Ntilikina and Green, who we don't like so much because of their offensive limitations, but who are pretty helpful defenders. And Campazzo, perhaps being added despite his lack of size and offensive limits, but considered to be a pesky defender.