MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ItsGoTime - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 09:56 AM)mvossman Wrote: Any one of Conley, Clarkson or Hayward would make this team significantly better and more protected against Luka/Din injury.  Its just hard for me to see them pulling that trigger without sending Timmy out from a minutes standpoint.  Don't think Utah wants Timmy, so we need to get a third team involved for those two guys (no idea what Charlotte wants).  The idea may be to make one of these deals prior to TDL after raising Timmy (and maybe Green's) value.  Personally, I think that is another reason to bring Din off the bench and start Tim, who is a better fit with McGee and needs to be showcased if possible.
For sure I agree with this. It’s so obviously what would make us better, kinda like the getting Tobias Harris was at the beginning of the offseason. If Hayward is the defender still that KL was claiming, it allows for us to possibly run with Wood at the C a lot more than I anticipated (without the need for SD to be out there). The problem with a TDL deal is I’m not sure either team is looking for a better player, assuming the goal is to tank. So THJ improving his value is for the benefit of anotger team in trade.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - omahen - 10-12-2022

I think it is obvious Mavs didn't find a good trade and the plan is to try to boost value of THJ and than address the need for third ballhandler (not necesarily a PG) in the summer. 

The only thing I think they might do this season is trade Powell with some minor sweeteners. Or perhaps the plan is to sign him for BaE level contract next season and use as a third string center. I doubt any team would offer him more. Dumping Bertans for less money is also something I can see they will look for, but will have trouble finding.

I think there will be two general directions next season:
1) Upgrade the second guard spot with an "all-in" kind of move (basically THJ minutes and some SD minutes)
2) stay under the tax

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - mvossman - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 12:45 AM)F Gump Wrote: I don't disagree with the idea that they should done what was needed to get P3, but that's in an ideal world where they can do whatever they want. Sadly, the NBA doesn't work that way.

After Dragic, I'm not sure where an available answer was that they didn't take. And if he wasn't good enough (and if that's what Kidd thinks, maybe he isn't), then signing him would have been pointless anyhow. OTOH, if they hadn't done the homework to know that Dragic was a no-go, until he was the only option left, that's on them.

But does that take us back even earlier, where signing Brunson was a HAVE TO, that they didn't make happen? FWIW, I still think their big need at this point is that 3rd Playmaker, and that he's more important to what they are building than is generally realized. Not sure who he is, or how they get him, but if I'm plotting a future big move, I think that is likely to be as much or more of a difference-maker to them than a wing. (As much as I hate to admit it, I think Brunson was that guy -- and in a few years, Mavs fans may be wish-wondering if they can get JB for 3 picks and some good players and more).

I don't think Brunson is the guy.  What they desperately need is an offensive creator that is also a plus defender.  Ideally a wing or somebody with the size of a wing.  Then you are checking all of the boxes this team needs.  That is the player you send all of your picks for.  Somebody like Jaylen Brown or SGA or Siakam.  I think that is what they are angling for.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - omahen - 10-12-2022

(14) Grant Afseth on Twitter: "According to @Eurohoopsnet: The #Mavs are "seriously thinking of releasing" Tyler Dorsey, who is currently signed to a two-way contract. More from @dalton_trigg on @MavericksDB ⬇️ https://t.co/uLHYC1TtOc" / Twitter

How about going after someone who is still young and could develop? I mean for 2-way contract, not regular roster spot

(14) Keith Smith on Twitter: "Someone should claim Theo Maledon off waivers. There's a player in there. Spurs make sense, because they have very, very little at point guard right now." / Twitter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Kammrath - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 10:46 AM)mvossman Wrote: Somebody like Jaylen Brown or SGA or Siakam.  I think that is what they are angling for.

YES, YES, YES.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Kammrath - 10-12-2022

I would totally love Maledon. I agree with Keith Smith, he is an NBA player, just need to unearth that and develop it. Loved him predraft.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 10:38 AM)omahen Wrote: I think it is obvious Mavs didn't find a good trade and the plan is to try to boost value of THJ and than address the need for third ballhandler (not necesarily a PG) in the summer. 

The only thing I think they might do this season is trade Powell with some minor sweeteners. Or perhaps the plan is to sign him for BaE level contract next season and use as a third string center. I doubt any team would offer him more. Dumping Bertans for less money is also something I can see they will look for, but will have trouble finding.

I think there will be two general directions next season:
1) Upgrade the second guard spot with an "all-in" kind of move (basically THJ minutes and some SD minutes)
2) stay under the tax

I agree.   I also hope eventually they get a bigger third creator and use Hardaway plus picks and other to make it happen.   I expect Hardaway is here all year if I had to bet though.   

He is not available and there are not many of him, but I mentioned a few weeks ago a guy like Paul George here would be ideal.   So while George may not be available that is the type of player who would be perfect.  It would really make this team a beast.  Having a bigger wing who can create, play off ball, and guard would really bring things together.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-12-2022

Man, I hate it.  I am going to be depressed by our freaking two way spots again.  I know it is small beans, but I always feel like we don't really care about them.    Both Bingham and Gueye are intriguing guys I would like to see developed in the G-league for a year, but neither are legit two way guys at this stage in my opinion.  I think Wright is a solid player and could be emergency insurance.   Although, if we bring in Campazzo I am not sure keeping Wright around is the best use of a two way slot.   The Mavs were slow after the draft where there were some very intriguing undrafted guys who were picked up quickly.

IMO, your two way spots should be a system.  One guy should be one year away from competing for a roster spot and the other guy is more of a long range developmental guy (two years).   Then next year the long range guy moves up to the front of the line.   Sure, you are always looking to upgrade, but the vision for these guys should be to work with them and try to reach certain thresholds during the year.   They are all long shots but some teams have developed real players through their G-league.  They are also cheap labor.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 12:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Mike Conley sitting available the midst of the UTA tankapalooza makes no sense why we aren't trying our hardest to grab him. Bojan didn't fetch a first and Conley's contract is worse.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9523d8b4558c410bf8666...y.gif&ct=g]

Until I KNOW that the Mavs can't get either Conley or Clarkson, that will continue to be my hope.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Hypermav - 10-12-2022

Suns trying to get Clarkson for Crowder, I do not want the Suns to have Clarkson.  I doubt Ainge will do that.

(10-12-2022, 12:11 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Suns trying to get Clarkson for Crowder, I do not want the Suns to have Clarkson.  I doubt Ainge will do that.

The suns would need to throw in a first right?   And the Jazz wouldn't have any interest in Crowder.  Either a three way or they tell him to sit at home until the deadline, I would think.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 12:20 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: The suns would need to throw in a first right?   And the Jazz wouldn't have any interest in Crowder.  Either a three way or they tell him to sit at home until the deadline, I would think.

Crowder is expiring.  Ainge probably wants a first for Clarkson but he can opt out of his contract this year and is due for a hefty pay raise.  I could see a contender offering a first if they have the matching salary.  The Suns fit that description perfectly.  They appear to own all their picks.  Ainge could probably flip Crowder at the TDL for a SRP.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 08:10 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not much meat in this article and I think Dorsey will be someone who will be difficult to evaluate in these games.   But the question is if he is no where near earning real minutes on the team, is it the best option to keep a 26 year old on a two way?

https://basketnews.com/news-179192-tyler-dorsey-reportedly-might-be-cut-from-dallas-mavericks-roster.html

This would tend to back up the idea that Dorsey’s two way was a back-door NBA contract.  Keep him with the club for his max days (earning non-taxable NBA salary rather than two-way salary).  Then, when the days are up, convert him to the 15th spot and pay tax only on the portion of the year he’s on the actual 15 man roster (Credit:F Gump).

However, if Campazzo fills the 15th spot, the back door strategy no longer works.  With no easy path to an actual NBA contract, it is good agent relations (Wasserman) to let Dorsey go back to Europe or look for something similar with another NBA team.

With all that said, how damn long does it take to sign Campazzo?  Feels like we are trying to goad someone into making a roster decision with someone we want more.  

1. Dallas is among 9 teams interested in Campazzo
2. Dallas to maybe sign Campazzo in the next 48 hours
3. Dallas and Campazzo edging closer

Hell, what’s next?  Campazzo has a pen in his hand.  Campazzo is closely scrutinizing the terms of a (standard) deal with Dallas.  I’m not all that thrilled about this specific name.  Anyone at this point is a JAG 12th/13th man.  Sign me up for a JAG with some upside vs. the 5’ 10” veteran.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 12:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9523d8b4558c410bf8666...y.gif&ct=g]

Until I KNOW that the Mavs can't get either Conley or Clarkson, that will continue to be my hope.

If you want Conley, you need to find a 3rd party who is interested in THJ and has expiring contracts.  

If Utah wants a FRP for Clarkson, Mavs aren't going to do that.  We could offer three SRPs.  Did you know that we only have three SRPs through 2029?

(10-12-2022, 02:05 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Sign me up for a JAG with some upside vs. the 5’ 10” veteran.

[Image: clapping-lets-go.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Hypermav - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 02:05 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This would tend to back up the idea that Dorsey’s two way was a back-door NBA contract.  Keep him with the club for his max days (earning non-taxable NBA salary rather than two-way salary).  Then, when the days are up, convert him to the 15th spot and pay tax only on the portion of the year he’s on the actual 15 man roster (Credit:F Gump).

However, if Campazzo fills the 15th spot, the back door strategy no longer works.  With no easy path to an actual NBA contract, it is good agent relations (Wasserman) to let Dorsey go back to Europe or look for something similar with another NBA team.

With all that said, how damn long does it take to sign Campazzo?  Feels like we are trying to goad someone into making a roster decision with someone we want more.  

1. Dallas is among 9 teams interested in Campazzo
2. Dallas to maybe sign Campazzo in the next 48 hours
3. Dallas and Campazzo edging closer

Hell, what’s next?  Campazzo has a pen in his hand.  Campazzo is closely scrutinizing the terms of a (standard) deal with Dallas.  I’m not all that thrilled about this specific name.  Anyone at this point is a JAG 12th/13th man.  Sign me up for a JAG with some upside vs. the 5’ 10” veteran.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - SamStetz - 10-12-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1580284371118215168

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 02:05 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: With all that said, how damn long does it take to sign Campazzo?  Feels like we are trying to goad someone into making a roster decision with someone we want more.  

Wow, a great thought that hadn’t dawned on me. Very interesting.

(10-12-2022, 03:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow, a great thought that hadn’t dawned on me. Very interesting.

All we need now is Campazzo's best friend to go on Dallas radio to tease us and then Jokic to post a picture of his apartment barricaded by a chair.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - dirkfansince1998 - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 03:08 PM)cow Wrote: All we need now is Campazzo's best friend to go on Dallas radio to tease us and then Jokic to post a picture of his apartment barricaded by a chair.

https://basketnews.com/news-174951-facundo-campazzo-jokic-was-the-only-nuggets-player-who-knew-me.html

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - dirkfansince1998 - 10-12-2022

Wow...I didn´t know how bad his numbers were last season.

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1484747209635553284?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1484747328774803457%7Ctwgr%5Ec0a69e96a0eff2d7bf452f7d35fa005579ebd940%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2159379start%3D20

https://twitter.com/NBABlackburn/status/1485321382233657347?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1485321382233657347%7Ctwgr%5E4cc49ac5344853e05ae6e0032dd5b6d0abf2bf2d%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2159379start%3D60

Even Jokic wasn´t able to turn him into a net positive...