MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 10-11-2022

Campazzo is fine enough, compared to what’s out there. He can run an offense and brings good energy. Like Sefant said, he looked better 2 years ago on a better team. I still don’t understand No Dragic. Only explanation, to me, is that they thought they had something else lined up and then, lo and behold…whole lotta nada. Classic Cuban.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DallasMaverick - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 08:58 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: My issue isn’t with Compazzo. He’s probably the best available PG right now.

The issue is either 1 of 2 things…

1. They thought that the 3rd ball handler wasn’t an issue until now.
2. They failed to think in the first place.

Either way it’s incompetence. If I can see that the Mavs have no ball handling depth from my couch, then what excuse do Nico, Kidd, Cuban, etc. have?

After watching Wright, they must have decided they didn't trust him.  Seems like a similar player to Campazzo, but with less experience.

And they decided that Burke wasn't a good enough distributor to be the 3rd PG.

So they executed their plan - see who's available for the minimum, who will be happy with minimal minutes and contribute to team culture.

No objections.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 09:49 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: No objections.

There will be after Dinwiddie sprains his ankle.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 07:30 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: He’s like Barea with worse shooting, no pick and roll skills, and a lack of finishing ability.  So yeah…

On the other hand, he is a pesky defender. Not gifted, athletically, but unafraid to play dirty.

I think they could’ve done worse as a Burke replacement.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 08:58 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: My issue isn’t with Compazzo. He’s probably the best available PG right now.

Either way it’s incompetence. If I can see that the Mavs have no ball handling depth from my couch, then what excuse do Nico, Kidd, Cuban, etc. have?

I think there's been a 3rd - and more likely- scenario that has emerged, from the things that have transpired (and some hints from various reports over the summer) ...

3. When the summer started, the Mavs knew what had worked for them. They planned to continue to have 3 Playmakers to rotate (Luka, Brunson, SD). Then when Brunson went awry, they expected to find a different guy instead to be Playmaker 3. Dragic was their backup plan all along to be Playmaker 3, if they couldn't land someone better via trade. They couldn't. So Dragic it would be.

BUT THEN -- the Staff all went to Europe to see Luka play Euroball, where they all also watched GD play a lot and saw what level he's at now, and Kidd said "He's not what I want or need, because he can't defend anymore. If you sign him, I'm giving most of those minutes to Franky, Green, someone else, and Dragic will be my insurance policy if someone is out." They know they have to shoot straight with Dragic (ie, his agent, since it's also the agent for Luka), and when they tell him about GD being viewed as Playmaker 4 (ie, the Burke role, the insurance policy), then Dragic isn't interested in the job anymore.

Kidd doesn't want him. They can't BS the situation. Bye bye GD.

Are they suddenly changing course with Campazzo? IMO not at all - he is saying yes to accepting the job of Playmaker 4.

What about P 3 (the guy to rotate with Luka-SD, to get regular minutes and be a key part of the rotation)? Right now, it looks like he's not on the roster. Either he emerges from development, or they find a trade at some point, or they change course on their strategy and make do without a P 3. In that regard, Brunson is very likely to end up being missed badly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - mvossman - 10-11-2022

The answer is simple.  They saw a need for an emergency 3rd point guard, but not somebody to get regular minutes.  I would much rather have Dragic in this position, but they were not going to play him ahead of Timmy (who needs the minutes, especially if they are going to trade him) or the kids for development.  They were honest with Dragic in this regard and he chose an option where he apparently will get a shot at more minutes.

This is an emergency backup player.  The reality is that if either Luka or Din are unavailable for the playoffs, we are screwed.  There was no good avenue to avoid that with the current roster situation.  The long term solution is probably to send out Timmy for somebody that could run the offense in a pinch, possibly as early as the TDL.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Jym - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 11:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: In that regard, Brunson is very likely to end up being missed badly.

and sadly he got such a reasonable contract
I'd pick Brunson over Tyler Herro if I had to give one of them a 4 year 130 mil contract

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-11-2022

Guys what I am saying is: 

After seeing the benefits of 3 creators last year and loosing one of them, they should have addressed it. That would have been my #1 priority. I also realize I see the game differently than most of you lol.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - mvossman - 10-12-2022

(10-11-2022, 11:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think there's been a 3rd - and more likely- scenario that has emerged, from the things that have transpired (and some hints from various reports over the summer) ...

3. When the summer started, the Mavs knew what had worked for them. They planned to continue to have 3 Playmakers to rotate (Luka, Brunson, SD). Then when Brunson went awry, they expected to find a different guy instead to be Playmaker 3. Dragic was their backup plan all along to be Playmaker 3, if they couldn't land someone better via trade. They couldn't. So Dragic it would be.

BUT THEN -- the Staff all went to Europe to see Luka play Euroball, where they all also watched GD play a lot and saw what level he's at now, and Kidd said "He's not what I want or need, because he can't defend anymore. If you sign him, I'm giving most of those minutes to Franky, Green, someone else, and Dragic will be my insurance policy if someone is out." They know they have to shoot straight with Dragic (ie, his agent, since it's also the agent for Luka), and when they tell him about GD being viewed as Playmaker 4 (ie, the Burke role, the insurance policy), then Dragic isn't interested in the job anymore.

Kidd doesn't want him. They can't BS the situation. Bye bye GD.

Are they suddenly changing course with Campazzo? IMO not at all - he is saying yes to accepting the job of Playmaker 4.

What about P 3 (the guy to rotate with Luka-SD, to get regular minutes and be a key part of the rotation)? Right now, it looks like he's not on the roster. Either he emerges from development, or they find a trade at some point, or they change course on their strategy and make do without a P 3. In that regard, Brunson is very likely to end up being missed badly.

There was no reasonable route to P 3 with their limited assets, especially after they sent the first for Wood.  Don't know if they knew Brunson was gone when they made that trade, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Seems like Timmy has been the plan for third guard for some time.

The only legit option I can think of would have been Rubio for the tax MLE, but I don't know if he would have been interested and you would be dealing with a minutes crunch.

As I mentioned above, it seems like the only reasonable route to that P 3 player you are talking about is to send out Timmy and his minutes.  In an ideal world, that player is also a plus defender and Luka's batman (basically the player we send all of picks for).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-12-2022

I don't disagree with the idea that they should done what was needed to get P3, but that's in an ideal world where they can do whatever they want. Sadly, the NBA doesn't work that way.

After Dragic, I'm not sure where an available answer was that they didn't take. And if he wasn't good enough (and if that's what Kidd thinks, maybe he isn't), then signing him would have been pointless anyhow. OTOH, if they hadn't done the homework to know that Dragic was a no-go, until he was the only option left, that's on them.

But does that take us back even earlier, where signing Brunson was a HAVE TO, that they didn't make happen? FWIW, I still think their big need at this point is that 3rd Playmaker, and that he's more important to what they are building than is generally realized. Not sure who he is, or how they get him, but if I'm plotting a future big move, I think that is likely to be as much or more of a difference-maker to them than a wing. (As much as I hate to admit it, I think Brunson was that guy -- and in a few years, Mavs fans may be wish-wondering if they can get JB for 3 picks and some good players and more).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - SleepingHero - 10-12-2022

Mike Conley sitting available the midst of the UTA tankapalooza makes no sense why we aren't trying our hardest to grab him. Bojan didn't fetch a first and Conley's contract is worse.

He's a solid shooter and playmaker. His defense leaves a lot but Brunson wasn't a stalwart anyways. 

My only trade that sort of makes sense revolves around sending Powell and either Frank/Green to UTA, Timmy to the Nets and the Mavs get back Joe Harris and Conley. Trade is off by 300k but I think that's a rounding error.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 12:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Mike Conley sitting available the midst of the UTA tankapalooza makes no sense why we aren't trying our hardest to grab him. Bojan didn't fetch a first and Conley's contract is worse.

He's a solid shooter and playmaker. His defense leaves a lot but Brunson wasn't a stalwart anyways. 

My only trade that sort of makes sense revolves around sending Powell and either Frank/Green to UTA, Timmy to the Nets and the Mavs get back Joe Harris and Conley. Trade is off by 300k but I think that's a rounding error.

Conley would be great. Who knows what Ainge is asking for... 

I'm a Kemba fan for a limited minutes guy who could step up and provide offense when Luka and Dinwiddie are out. The news on him is all you have to do to get him is offer a contract and Detroit will buy him out.

I also fail to see how Dragic couldn't get 20ish min per game with us. He will prove to still be a quality player with Lonzo out.

I'm praying for our fookin 2nd round pick to save us at this point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 12:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Mike Conley sitting available the midst of the UTA tankapalooza makes no sense why we aren't trying our hardest to grab him. Bojan didn't fetch a first and Conley's contract is worse.

I would think Conley is super-available. Without a pick. Just send UT some expiring junk, and take him.

But the 2-year contract for Conley may be a deal-killer. He seems to be on his last legs. May not even be useful for the first year, it's hard to say.

And I don't see a trade match. Mavs don't have enough expiring contracts for UT. (I can't see BKN having any interest in that 3-way.)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - SleepingHero - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 01:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: I would think Conley is super-available. Without a pick. Just send UT some expiring junk, and take him.

But the 2-year contract for Conley may be a deal-killer. He seems to be on his last legs. May not even be useful for the first year, it's hard to say.

And I don't see a trade match. Mavs don't have enough expiring contracts for UT. (I can't see BKN having any interest in that 3-way.)

In such a trade UTA gets 2 expirings (and I'd assume cash) which I think is more than enough for them.

The only rationale I have for the Nets is that Harris has been destroyed by injuries the last couple of years and is getting on in age. He's a knockdown shooter but can't necessarily defend well. He's also 31. Timmy is younger, a more dynamic scorer, and is on a descending contract. It's close enough in my head that the Nets *could* be interested. They're hurting for depth too. 

I just don't see a contending team with enough expiring's AND a role where Conley makes sense other than Dallas. Even if Conley declines he's way way better than any one else available.

(10-12-2022, 01:11 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I'm a Kemba fan for a limited minutes guy who could step up and provide offense when Luka and Dinwiddie are out. The news on him is all you have to do to get him is offer a contract and Detroit will buy him out.

I also fail to see how Dragic couldn't get 20ish min per game with us. He will prove to still be a quality player with Lonzo out.

My biggest problem with Kemba is his knees. He's on his 2nd contract buyout in 2 years. Thats enough to tell me the writing is on the wall and his NBA career is effectively done at this point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 01:26 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: My biggest problem with Kemba is his knees. He's on his 2nd contract buyout in 2 years. Thats enough to tell me the writing is on the wall and his NBA career is effectively done at this point.

Ice those puppies up and give him some pain killers, we only need him for like 20 games.

(10-12-2022, 01:26 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: 1 In such a trade UTA gets 2 expirings (and I'd assume cash) which I think is more than enough for them.

2 The only rationale I have for the Nets is that Harris has been destroyed by injuries the last couple of years and is getting on in age. He's a knockdown shooter but can't necessarily defend well. He's also 31. Timmy is younger, a more dynamic scorer, and is on a descending contract. It's close enough in my head that the Nets *could* be interested. They're hurting for depth too. 

3 I just don't see a contending team with enough expiring's AND a role where Conley makes sense other than Dallas. Even if Conley declines he's way way better than any one else available.

I think you missed my point completely. My basic issue is Mavs can't really cobble together what UT wants, while also meeting NBA rules.

I don't think UT demands are high. Likely just "matching salary, that's mostly expiring or very short term." But Conley's contract is too big so that the Mavs just don't have a fit to offer UT.

1 You mention cash. That makes no sense. It's not how NBA trades work, for the team taking on a bigger financial burden to also send cash to the team who gets the MUCH smaller financial obligations. Just taking Conley off his books would make Ainge elated imo.
2 I don't see BKN being interested in any way. I left them out of the evaluation of viability, since I don't see why they'd play.
3 The argument that there are no other teams interested, again, that's not my point that the Mavs would be unable to outbid competitors. My point is that they don't have the match.

Powell + ______ (Green or Franky) would be more than desirable swap in UT's eyes, I think, but that pkg, for Conley in return, is far short of satisfying NBA rules. And to some, Green is also significantly excess value for such a deal, where all that's desired is expiring junk.

There's one side issue, that could also be an obstacle to such a deal, which is the sizable salary increase for the Mavs, which would bloat Cuban's tax obligation. I think that's an issue to him, even if we don't evaluate in those terms, in light of how much he would pay vs how much (or how little) of a diff he might perceive Conley could make.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ItsGoTime - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 02:50 AM)F Gump Wrote: I think you missed my point completely. My basic issue is Mavs can't really cobble together what UT wants, while also meeting NBA rules.

I don't think UT demands are high. Likely just "matching salary, that's mostly expiring or very short term." But Conley's contract is too big so that the Mavs just don't have a fit to offer UT.

1 You mention cash. That makes no sense. It's not how NBA trades work, for the team taking on a bigger financial burden to also send cash to the team who gets the MUCH smaller financial obligations. Just taking Conley off his books would make Ainge elated imo.
2 I don't see BKN being interested in any way. I left them out of the evaluation of viability, since I don't see why they'd play.
3 The argument that there are no other teams interested, again, that's not my point that the Mavs would be unable to outbid competitors. My point is that they don't have the match.

Powell + ______ (Green or Franky) would be more than desirable swap in UT's eyes, I think, but that pkg, for Conley in return, is far short of satisfying NBA rules. And to some, Green is also significantly excess value for such a deal, where all that's desired is expiring junk.

There's one side issue, that could also be an obstacle to such a deal, which is the sizable salary increase for the Mavs, which would bloat Cuban's tax obligation. I think that's an issue to him, even if we don't evaluate in those terms, in light of how much he would pay vs how much (or how little) of a diff he might perceive Conley could make.
This is why Clarkson is the play with Utah. Powell and Green/Frank for him. 

In other news, Jordan is looking to cut salary too. We have a way to make that happen. Powell, Bertans and Green/Frank for Hayward gives them lots of relief and players to help them tank. Gives us a wing AND playmaker at the same time. If Jordan wants more savings we can throw in a THJ for Rozier swap. Gives us more guard playmaking and slightly better defense. This seems like the more likely route to go instead of dealing with Ainge’s mind.

We then have Hayward fresh from a playoff run (hopefully, as long as he doesn’t have another season ending injury in the first 5 games of the season…) as an expiring contract with a full compliment of FRPs to dangle for OKC’s SGA in the offseason. After that we have any leftover picks and pick swaps and either Rozier or Dinwiddie for OG Anunoby. Just let the monkey do it, it’s that simple!

Hayward would shine here guaranteed. If healthy of course.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-12-2022

Not much meat in this article and I think Dorsey will be someone who will be difficult to evaluate in these games.   But the question is if he is no where near earning real minutes on the team, is it the best option to keep a 26 year old on a two way?

https://basketnews.com/news-179192-tyler-dorsey-reportedly-might-be-cut-from-dallas-mavericks-roster.html

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - mvossman - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 05:27 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This is why Clarkson is the play with Utah. Powell and Green/Frank for him. 

In other news, Jordan is looking to cut salary too. We have a way to make that happen. Powell, Bertans and Green/Frank for Hayward gives them lots of relief and players to help them tank. Gives us a wing AND playmaker at the same time. If Jordan wants more savings we can throw in a THJ for Rozier swap. Gives us more guard playmaking and slightly better defense. This seems like the more likely route to go instead of dealing with Ainge’s mind.

We then have Hayward fresh from a playoff run (hopefully, as long as he doesn’t have another season ending injury in the first 5 games of the season…) as an expiring contract with a full compliment of FRPs to dangle for OKC’s SGA in the offseason. After that we have any leftover picks and pick swaps and either Rozier or Dinwiddie for OG Anunoby. Just let the monkey do it, it’s that simple!

Any one of Conley, Clarkson or Hayward would make this team significantly better and more protected against Luka/Din injury.  Its just hard for me to see them pulling that trigger without sending Timmy out from a minutes standpoint.  Don't think Utah wants Timmy, so we need to get a third team involved for those two guys (no idea what Charlotte wants).  The idea may be to make one of these deals prior to TDL after raising Timmy (and maybe Green's) value.  Personally, I think that is another reason to bring Din off the bench and start Tim, who is a better fit with McGee and needs to be showcased if possible.