MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-11-2022

Sort of weird this has been reported that mavs were evaluating signing him and now they may sign him In 48 hours.  Maybe the latest report isn’t the most reputable source.  It sort of feels like the Mavs could be trying to get commitment from someone else?

Regardless, mavs have an open spot and if they have determined Frank can’t be a reliable third point, they really need to sign someone.  Right now, we would be really in trouble if one of our guards miss time.  We may be ok if one gets serious foul trouble in a game.  But might as well get someone who could fill in when needed.

Campazzo is best playing fast paced.  I would be fine with anyone who likes playing fast.  I wouldn’t towel wave his signing, but wouldn’t hate it.  Would just view it as a minimum insurance move.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 04:28 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Campazzo sucks.  That is all.

[Image: donthurtme-baby.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-11-2022

The Mavericks have officially admitted their blunder that my 69 IQ way easily able to spot in advance. Mark sell me the team for $5 immediately.

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1579980574479245312?s=46&t=bFXLcG2cj5pAtmL5hTvX_A

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Jmaciscool - 10-11-2022

I'm not super familiar with Campazzo's game, how does he compare to Dragic?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 06:55 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I'm not super familiar with Campazzo's game, how does he compare to Dragic?

See StrandedOnBeauboisHill’s post above. He does do fancy passes though!!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Jmaciscool - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 06:58 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: See StrandedOnBeauboisHill’s post above. He does do fancy passes though!!!

Wonder what StrandedOnCampazzoHill thinks about it

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - RoyTarpleysGhost - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 06:55 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I'm not super familiar with Campazzo's game, how does he compare to Dragic?

He’s like Barea with worse shooting, no pick and roll skills, and a lack of finishing ability.  So yeah…

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-11-2022

IMO He's on a par with Burke, a veteran guy who can fill in for an emergency, but won't be a major contributor.

If signed, likely to just be a deep backup (necessary for games when Luka or SD are unavailable) while in most games they will instead use available minutes to try to develop Franky, Green, Hardy, Dorsey into being able to fill the 3rd-PG/playmaker/offense creator role (if that's possible). Although, to make sure he's going to be ready when needed, they might put him in that group too even when Luka-SD are both at full speed.

Was a Euro veteran, came late to NBA, Mavs had interest at that time but he chose DEN (who offered BAE size contract, not minimum). Had a regular rotation spot in DEN (about 20 mpg) but spared it up. He's small (with corresponding defensive limitations), not a very good shooter, but he can run an offense with very low TO's.

You'd like to sign him non-guaranteed, in case one of the projects pans out, or in case something better comes along. That might or might not interest him, but that feels like what he's worth. But I'm guessing it will be a guaranteed one-year minimum if they sign him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/campafa01.html

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - SwisherPrice - 10-11-2022

I'll take Campazzo...better than nothing. They need a PG who has actually played the position, even if it's just for insurance. Campazzo had good shooting numbers in 2020-21 but not as good last season. 

Also played with Luka at Real Madrid so there is familiarity there. Worst-case, he will be Luka's locker room guy like Boban and Salah Mejiri were

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-11-2022

I prefer Kemba but if he were a possibility, we would be talking about him right now.
I also prefer the other 2-way to be a PG, maybe the Mavs could find someone better than Wright in the scrap heap.

But Campazzo isn't a bad idea. If you expect him to play 15 minutes a night, sure, there's a problem -- but he wouldn't. 
He wouldn't play in the play-offs for more than 5 minutes a game.
If he ever sees the court though, you'd know either of the PGs are hurt or in foul trouble.

Campazzo is short, can't shoot, defensive liability -- I get that.
But tell me someone available who's qualified to be the 3rd PG and more importantly a realistic get, at this point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - LifeAquatic - 10-11-2022

[Image: aVOSkIC.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - sterlingmallory - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 07:58 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I prefer Kemba but if he were a possibility, we would be talking about him right now.
I also prefer the other 2-way to be a PG, maybe the Mavs could find someone better than Wright in the scrap heap.

But Campazzo isn't a bad idea. If you expect him to play 15 minutes a night, sure, there's a problem -- but he wouldn't. 
If he ever sees the court though, you'd know either of the PGs are hurt or in foul trouble.

But tell me someone available who's qualified to be the 3rd PG and more importantly a realistic get, at this point.

The problem is, all it takes is one rolled ankle by Luka or Dinwiddie and suddenly we are in fact relying on Campazzo to play 15-20 mpg for the next 2-4 weeks. Can we survive that in an extremely tight West?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 07:58 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I prefer Kemba but if he were a possibility, we would be talking about him right now.

Good points.

About Kemba, there's a weirdness in the situation on that one. The educated speculation has been that DET and Kemba agreed on a buyout number, that was based on Kemba lining up a team to sign him (which would allow him to take less from DET and then get it back on the new deal). And then he couldn't find a team. So maybe the Mavs simply aren't interested.

Yet DET has 15 other guaranteed deals, so someone has to go. Might DET keep him as a trade-filler chip, but send him home, like the Dragic-TOR situation a year ago where the buyout never happened?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 08:08 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The problem is, all it takes is one rolled ankle by Luka or Dinwiddie and suddenly we are in fact relying on Campazzo to play 15-20 mpg for the next 2-4 weeks. Can we survive that in an extremely tight West?

Question still remains, who is available who is better than Campazzo?

And if either Luka or Dinwiddie misses a month, you'd need someone close to Brunson for that task. Maybe a guy like Clarkson too. But we all know the story with Brunson and guys around here do not want Clarkson because he'd be a rental.

I'm not thrilled with Campazzo, but I guess no one else is out there and the Mavs can't find takers for DP, THJ, Bertans to upgrade the PG slot.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ballsrchr - 10-11-2022

I'm ok with Compazzo.

"How does he compare with Dragic?"  I would take Dragic over Compazzo...but...it's been rumored--for the last 14 years or so (it seems) that the Mavs were going to sign Dragic.  The Dragic wishing well always came up dry.  

So...let's try the Compazzo merry-go-round.  I, in fact, think he would be better than most third, or fourth, back up point guards.  From what I've seen of him Compazzo is tough, a good ball handler,  a good passer, a very pesky defensive player, and generally makes good decisions.

Yeah, yeah...he's short.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-11-2022

Campazzo is probably okay as insurance but it really makes you wonder why the couldn't figure out a way to give Dragic consistent minutes on a team that really could use an additional ball handler/creator which seemed to be the sticking point with him wanting to come here.  And maybe it wasn't just Carlisle and Donnie who loved tiny point guards.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - sefant - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 08:08 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The problem is, all it takes is one rolled ankle by Luka or Dinwiddie and suddenly we are in fact relying on Campazzo to play 15-20 mpg for the next 2-4 weeks. Can we survive that in an extremely tight West?

[Image: facu.png]

His 1st season looking pretty good. I mean the Nuggets starters very looking weak last season, the bench was prolly a big mess throughout the season. Our bench looks miles ahead compared to the trash Denver had.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360199

Random game last season. Bench looks nearly more like a g-league team.

My issue isn’t with Compazzo. He’s probably the best available PG right now.

The issue is either 1 of 2 things…

1. They thought that the 3rd ball handler wasn’t an issue until now.
2. They failed to think in the first place.

Either way it’s incompetence. If I can see that the Mavs have no ball handling depth from my couch, then what excuse do Nico, Kidd, Cuban, etc. have?

Is my Tyreke Evans dream dead?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - RoyTarpleysGhost - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 08:58 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: My issue isn’t with Compazzo. He’s probably the best available PG right now.

The issue is either 1 of 2 things…

1. They thought that the 3rd ball handler wasn’t an issue until now.
2. They failed to think in the first place.

Either way it’s incompetence. If I can see that the Mavs have no ball handling depth from my couch, then what excuse do Nico, Kidd, Cuban, etc. have?

Cuban is broke. 

They didn’t have the resources to spend on a third ball handler.