MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Kammrath - 10-10-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1579543080193388547

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Kammrath - 10-10-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1579528372262432777

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1579530234659229698

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - doozer - 10-10-2022

(10-09-2022, 08:10 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Let's talk through the third ball handler thing for a moment.

The hue and cry for a third ball handler started in the summer of 21.  Brunson was a bench player and failed playoff participant at that point. 

Actually, the talk during the summer of 21 ALWAYS was about adding a SECOND ballhandler, as none believed at that point that Brunson could fill this role. While it indeed was a pleasant and successful luxury to have Luka, Brunson, and SD, there was always an understanding that it would be difficult to commit as much money to those three players instead of other positions. Didn't SD even decline to look for a permanent house in the area as he wasn't sure he would last the summer? I'm pretty sure if Brunson had stayed, SD would have been on the trade market.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Jason Terry - 10-10-2022

(10-10-2022, 05:06 PM)doozer Wrote: Actually, the talk during the summer of 21 ALWAYS was about adding a SECOND ballhandler, as none believed at that point that Brunson could fill this role. While it indeed was a pleasant and successful luxury to have Luka, Brunson, and SD, there was always an understanding that it would be difficult to commit as much money to those three players instead of other positions. Didn't SD even decline to look for a permanent house in the area as he wasn't sure he would last the summer? I'm pretty sure if Brunson had stayed, SD would have been on the trade market.
Agree with this. SD would be on his way out if Brunson stayed. It’s too much of the cap going to one position. We aren’t playing all 3 together when it matters so we only really need 2/3. The real hole thats there with only 2 is non-Luka bench scoring. Wood is the guy to replace that. I think he can get his own on that end if you just let him ISO. Stagger the Dinwiddie minutes to cover the non-Luka minutes. And boom problem solved 

So to me it’s a wash mostly with THJ and Wood in and Brunson out. Why i think we’ll be just as good if not better than last year is: Javale McGee. Lol I’m serious. The glaring weakness that was exposed was rebounding and rim protection. McGee immediately helps those issues. It’s a safe bet for incremental improvement

We’re a safe top 6 seed. 2nd round exit most likely. Wild card ceiling raisers: Wood, Dinwiddie, Green. Luka having an MVP season makes us dark horse contenders if it all falls right

Lots of reasons to be happy. Let’s go mavs

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-10-2022

The team has improved compared to last season's team. And I'm saying this despite losing Brunson.
The key this season is Wood.
If he plays his usual game (no defense, offensive numbers same as with the Rockets), then the Mavs are fighting for the 7th and 8th seeds.
But if Wood goes all-in, I'm looking at WCF.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-10-2022

(10-10-2022, 02:52 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You're right my bad. 

Luka
DFS
Wood
Mcgee
Powell

is better.

Well, any lineup with the great DFS in it is reasonably ok in my book.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-10-2022

(10-10-2022, 10:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, any lineup with the great DFS in it is reasonably ok in my book.

There is a reason I've always liked you.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-11-2022

More of this Josh!   In the attached video Link right after the McGee Dunk there is a missed shot, and Josh gets the rebounds and goes with it.  I would love to see him do this more.

Also some nice McGee dunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlPL-wvAe1M

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - mvossman - 10-11-2022

(10-10-2022, 09:42 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This has always been the best  most obvious lineup and I still don't know why Kidd wants to toy with Wood off the bench to overcomplicate the rotation for no reason.

Don't think their best lineup includes McGee in it.  Their best lineup is probably Maxi/Wood/Dorian/Luka/Din.  That is the lineup they will most likely finish games with, especially in the playoffs.  There might be an argument for swapping Bullock in for Din if defense is the priority.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - mvossman - 10-11-2022

(10-08-2022, 03:32 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1578843112109010944?s=20&t=bnOOO2Ymt5t5ql-aKCRGrQ

Iztok is my favorite Mavs writer and I agree with just about everything he says, but I have to disagree here.  We have two bigs that can play defense and neither can play big minutes.  Every minute they play together is another minute we play with a gaping whole in the front court.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-11-2022

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/1579854961210720259

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - SleepingHero - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 10:40 AM)mvossman Wrote: Don't think their best lineup includes McGee in it.  Their best lineup is probably Maxi/Wood/Dorian/Luka/Din.  That is the lineup they will most likely finish games with, especially in the playoffs.  There might be an argument for swapping Bullock in for Din if defense is the priority.

I wasn't very clear in my initial post when I made it but what I originally meant that the Luka/Bullock/DFS/Wood/McGee to me is their best starting lineup given that Kidd wants McGee to start. Just makes the rotations cleaner and plays to Dinwiddie's strengths to coming off the bench. 

I agree your closing lineup is probably the best overall lineup and that Bullock/Din are the ones to swap should the situation arise.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 12:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wasn't very clear in my initial post when I made it but what I originally meant that the Luka/Bullock/DFS/Wood/McGee to me is their best starting lineup given that Kidd wants McGee to start. Just makes the rotations cleaner and plays to Dinwiddie's strengths to coming off the bench. 

I agree your closing lineup is probably the best overall lineup and that Bullock/Din are the ones to swap should the situation arise.

McGee starting, and SD starting, is not an either-or. It's what Kidd has been planning since early July.

I don't think Kidd is as enthusiastic about Wood starting as others here, in light of Wood's seeming lack of interest in playing any defense. That mindset must change.

Stat fromCato regarding Hardaway-  Hardaway converted 44 percent of three where defenders were  more than 6 feet away(second on the team).   Unfortunately his contested three point percentage plummeted below 30%.   In addition, his two point conversion rated dropped five points from the year prior.

I want Hardaway to be aggressive.   I want him to be in the Clarkson/Poole role of a guy who gets buckets when he is in the game.   The issue last year is he wasn't efficient or good enough to take the number of tough shots he takes.   Can he improve to the year before?   This part of his game needs to get better and he also needs to be better on defense.  

I think most of us see him as an odd fitting part with the current roster, but if he can improve his play he can at least be a valuable contributor until a move presents itself.   If he plays like he did last year, it will continue to be a weird fit.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Tyler - 10-11-2022

Campazzo to sign in the next 48 hours?

https://twitter.com/6toHombreLATAM/status/1579873502559375360

(10-11-2022, 12:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wasn't very clear in my initial post when I made it but what I originally meant that the Luka/Bullock/DFS/Wood/McGee to me is their best starting lineup given that Kidd wants McGee to start. Just makes the rotations cleaner and plays to Dinwiddie's strengths to coming off the bench. 

Agree on Din making more sense coming off the bench.  You need him to lead the second unit and I like him better in a 5 out offense than one predicated on P&R.  You can make the argument that the best time for him to be off the court is when McGee is on.

As for playing Wood with McGee, it seems like there is a lot of overlap with what they provide.  They our only two bigs who can rebound well and they both are/can be P&R finishers.  I think it makes more sense to have one of them on the court as much as possible, and with McGee's low minutes that means there likely would not be any overlap (I feel the same way with McGee and Maxi regarding rim protection).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - RoyTarpleysGhost - 10-11-2022

After watching Frank and Green in preseason, the Mavs are interested in Campazzo.  I still cannot believe they fumbled needing a third ball handler that badly. Not buying the excuses from the usual people.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-11-2022

(10-11-2022, 03:49 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: After watching Frank and Green in preseason, the Mavs are interested in Campazzo.  I still cannot believe they fumbled needing a third ball handler that badly. Not buying the excuses from the usual people.

At least they’re doing something about it, finally.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 10-11-2022

Campazzo sucks.  That is all.