MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - cow - 10-08-2022

(10-08-2022, 04:58 PM)Hypermav Wrote: That second unit will be really good if THJ doesn't take all the shots.

I hope he takes all of the shots when we play against the team we've traded him to.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-08-2022

Surprising.

So if THJ and Spencer aren't starting, does that make Dallas have the highest priced bench of all time?   Hardaway, Spencer, Bertans, Wood, Powell, Kleber are all 10 plus million.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ItsGoTime - 10-08-2022

(10-08-2022, 06:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Surprising.

So if THJ and Spencer aren't starting, does that make Dallas have the highest priced bench of all time?   Hardaway, Spencer, Bertans, Wood, Powell, Kleber are all 10 plus million.
As well as more expensive than the starters.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - IamDougieFresh - 10-08-2022

Luka - Hardy - Bullock - DFS - Wood
Spencer - Green - THJ - Maxi - McGee

This is the way.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - F Gump - 10-09-2022

I have to wonder if Kidd said one thing, and people are taking it a different way than he was saying. And, then trying hard to figure out who fills an "opening" in the starting lineup that doesn't even exist at this point.

Yes, I follow the fact that well-respected media onlookers are running with that same theme, and I understand why the conversation is what it is.

Yes, "who starts" is in some ways more of a name game, than anything else, designating who plays the first minute but not who is your best set of 5

Yes, they started a rookie on Friday in preseason next to Luka, not SD. Maybe they are looking for a different mix already.

But Kidd said "Right now we are looking at Spencer running that (second) group..." -- which does not say "SD is not in the starting lineup." It only says that when Luka exits, and starters are sitting, SD will be the one providing leadership on the floor. And while SD will be on the floor with that other group, there are somewhere between 14 and 18 minutes of overlap, that Luka and SD will be playing together. It's not 2-platoon.

I'm very much in a wait-and-see mode on this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-09-2022

Putting this in the Mavs News thread since its original home (Preseason Game-2 thread) will soon be long gone:

Here is an attempt at graphically laying out the rotation from the Orlando game to the closest 30 seconds.  It allows you to see the overlap between Luka and Dinwiddie and how the big minutes played out (with about 1:30 of Wood as lone big).  It was a fairly basic 9 man rotation except Hardy and Green shared what would normally be one spot.  It was also fairly platooned with the exception of the McGee cameo appearance in the second quarter for about 3 minutes and Luka staying on with the second unit until the end of the first quarter (which is common for him).

Given the reporting about Wood, Maxi, Hardaway and Dinwiddie coming off the bench, Green (and his D) almost has to be the one who joins that group once Luka sits.  To me, the question is whether Green also gets the six minutes to start the half that Hardy got or whether Hardy gets to retain those minutes.  My guess is that it is Green on opening night, but the situation is fluid.  Of course, this plan is based on the reporting of a couple of guys who I don't know.  Just two games into the pre-season we've seen reporting about lineups be wrong.

JM---------/CW--------------------/JM------/MK-------/
DS--------------/MK----------------/DS-----------------/
RB------------/TH------------------/RB-----------------/
JH------------/SD--------------------/LD----------------/
LD----------------------/JG-----------/TH---------------/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 07:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Putting this in the Mavs News thread since its original home (Preseason Game-2 thread) will soon be long gone:

Here is an attempt at graphically laying out the rotation from the Orlando game to the closest 30 seconds.  It allows you to see the overlap between Luka and Dinwiddie and how the big minutes played out (with about 1:30 of Wood as lone big).  It was a fairly basic 9 man rotation except Hardy and Green shared what would normally be one spot.  It was also fairly platooned with the exception of the McGee cameo appearance in the second quarter for about 3 minutes and Luka staying on with the second unit until the end of the first quarter (which is common for him).

Given the reporting about Wood, Maxi, Hardaway and Dinwiddie coming off the bench, Green (and his D) almost has to be the one who joins that group once Luka sits.  To me, the question is whether Green also gets the six minutes to start the half that Hardy got or whether Hardy gets to retain those minutes.  My guess is that it is Green on opening night, but the situation is fluid.  Of course, this plan is based on the reporting of a couple of guys who I don't know.  Just two games into the pre-season we've seen reporting about lineups be wrong.

JM---------/CW--------------------/JM------/MK-------/
DS--------------/MK----------------/DS-----------------/
RB------------/TH------------------/RB-----------------/
JH------------/SD--------------------/LD----------------/
LD----------------------/JG-----------/TH---------------/

It is an interesting thought process and depending on how the wind is blowing my opinion tends to change.   So, maybe that means there is no great option?  I tend agree that it will be fluid and I also tend to prefer Green, at this point.   This is year 3 for him and a big year for him.   I really don't want him to be left with table scraps with minutes.   Give him consistent minutes and see what he does with it.  If it doesn't work out, then you have your answer on him.   I understand ball creation would be an issue, but I think he is a better option than Hardy at this point, I think.   I can also think Hardaway as the starter, but I am not sure that is being considered.

I was thinking that Luka likes to start games getting going.  He typically is not a guy who gets everyone involved by scoring 3 points in the first quarter (hint...I would personally like to see this more though--sort of Chris Paul-ish).   So if you start Dinwiddie next to Luka, Dinwiddie may go 5 minutes to start the game and get 1-2 shots.   Is that the best way to utilize Din to start the game?

This summer, one of the Mavs guys mentioned Mavs had hopes for Dorsey.  I thought that was strange.  Maybe they had hopes he would win this spot?  That doesn't appear to be the case now.   On a side note, if Jaden did start and had 10 minutes to play, I shudder to think how many shots he would get up in those 10 minutes Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-09-2022

(10-08-2022, 04:18 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I agree with this but the problem is we get the most out of Luka when Dinwiddie is with him playing the second role. This is why everyone has been screaming for a third ball handler because then you can still let Dinwiddie run the second unit AND he would have someone else out there as a secondary playmaker with him the way he is for Luka with the starters AND Luka would have a release valve when he’s getting doubled.

Let's talk through the third ball handler thing for a moment.

The hue and cry for a third ball handler started in the summer of 21.  Brunson was a bench player and failed playoff participant at that point.  There is a narrative that this team started really playing when we added Dinwiddie (third ball handler), but the turn-around actually came the last game of December (Dinwiddie didn't get traded here until February 12th).  Dallas was 17-5 between 12/31 and the last game before the trade on 2/10.  That is a 77% winning percentage over a quarter of the season BEFORE we got our third ball handler.

So, what happened around 12/31?  Well, THJ, Bullock and Maxi all returned from six game absences.  KP went out and missed 13 of those 22 games.  Brunson's minutes picked up.  Green had his mini break-out getting 15 or more minutes in 15 of those 22 games.  With KP out, Dorian started playing a lot more at the four.  None of that involved a third ball handler.  We think that guy is the key because we kept winning 76% of our regular season games from mid-February on.

The narrative continued among fans this summer.  But, one of the inferences that can be made from the reports regarding Dragic (small role offered about once every 4-5 games) is the team doesn't think it needs that third guy.  If there was a role to be had, Dragic would be here.  The team apparently thinks it needs more rebounding and rim protection than was provided by Powell and another scorer in the front court.   It quickly filled those slots and made no effort to acquire a third ball handler that we know of.  In fact, the only thing we know is they told a good ball handler they don't have a role for him.  

I'd probably prefer that our injury protection at the position was better than it is.  But, if we were to have the level of guy most here want, Green and Hardy would never see the light of day.  As I've said before, the team's O-Rating when Josh got 20 minutes or more was 125.6 and the D-Rating was 109.1.  Josh hit 42% of his 3's in those 20 games.  Josh seems to be one of those guys who plays better as his minutes increase.  I suspect I'm not the only one who knows this which is why I think he's getting 18-20 minutes a game this season (and is probably starting if Dinwiddie comes off the bench).  I'm not worried about teams doubling Luka because we don't have another point guard on the floor.  He's got the best vision in the business.  I suspect Green, Bullock, DFS and McGee can competently score on the three remaining defenders.

(10-09-2022, 07:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was thinking that Luka likes to start games getting going.  He typically is not a guy who gets everyone involved by scoring 3 points in the first quarter (hint...I would personally like to see this more though--sort of Chris Paul-ish).   So if you start Dinwiddie next to Luka, Dinwiddie may go 5 minutes to start the game and get 1-2 shots.   Is that the best way to utilize Din to start the game?

I think this is a good point.  What is the best use of Dinwiddie?  You are probably correct that he’s being wasted during those first six minutes next to Luka.

I will say that I’d rather have him closing halves over Hardaway (who closed the second half Friday).  It would be nice to have another more competent creator closing things out when defenses stiffen.  Of course, that job (closing with Maxi, DFS, Bullock and Luka) might not go to a guard at all.  It could be Wood.

Another term we may all need to add to our lexicon is ‘point-of-attack’ defender.  In much the same way we need either Luka or SD on the floor at all times, it kind of feels like Dallas wants one of Bullock or Green hounding the primary ball handler.  There was a period of time when Dorian, Bullock and Green all checked out and Maxi was the only plus defender in the lineup.  I wonder if they will clean that up a little.  The group that was left (Wood, Maxi, THJ, Dinwiddie and Luka) will probably have an O-Rating over 130.  But, they might also have a D-Rating over 130 and give up as many as they score.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - SamStetz - 10-09-2022

https://encestando.es/campazzo-debe-decidir-en-las-proximas-horas-entre-las-propuestas-nba-el-fenerbahce-o-iniciar-la-negociacion-con-el-real-madrid/

Nine NBA teams were interested in Facundo Campazzo last month and the Dallas Mavericks have been targeting the Argentinian guard for weeks. Also, two teams from the Eastern Conference could make an offer. – via Encestando

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - omahen - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 08:10 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Let's talk through the third ball handler thing for a moment.

While I agree with some of the points, I think you are wrong in a couple. 

You stated a specific window from last season. Important fact, which should not be neglected - both Brunson and Luka were available through the whole stretch. Certainly an important factor for the good result. 

Unlike fans, Mavs reportedly didn't consider Dragic as good anymore (personally I don't agree). Specifically Kidd thought he doesn't have anything left in the tank. So not signing him doesn't mean Mavs think there is no need. It turns out as posted a bit later in this thread, Mavs might be targeting a different player for the role all along. 

As for injury protection, I don't believe any of Green, FN or Hardy is capable of running a team offense. Neither is Wood. You are posting plus Green minutes, but those minutes were not with him as primary offense initiator. Greens minutes actually increased after the all star break, but of course THJ was out. 

As last season, I would continue to argue that the odd fit on this team is THJ, because he is not good enough defender to play in five out offense that would contend and not good enough from the dribble to support other types of offense. They can be decent team with him, but not contender. Unfortunately the contract situation will be forcing the Mavs to play THJ while they should be playing someone who can efficiently put it on the floor they don't have (Brunson would be much better) and give remaining minutes to Green and FN. I am not saying THJ is a bad player. He could be excellent in the right situation. But I think Mavs need a different type of player in his role.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Kammrath - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 08:10 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Let's talk through the third ball handler thing for a moment.

The hue and cry for a third ball handler started in the summer of 21.  Brunson was a bench player and failed playoff participant at that point.  There is a narrative that this team started really playing when we added Dinwiddie (third ball handler), but the turn-around actually came the last game of December (Dinwiddie didn't get traded here until February 12th).  Dallas was 17-5 between 12/31 and the last game before the trade on 2/10.  That is a 77% winning percentage over a quarter of the season BEFORE we got our third ball handler.

So, what happened around 12/31?  Well, THJ, Bullock and Maxi all returned from six game absences.  KP went out and missed 13 of those 22 games.  Brunson's minutes picked up.  Green had his mini break-out getting 15 or more minutes in 15 of those 22 games.  With KP out, Dorian started playing a lot more at the four.  None of that involved a third ball handler.  We think that guy is the key because we kept winning 76% of our regular season games from mid-February on.

The narrative continued among fans this summer.  But, one of the inferences that can be made from the reports regarding Dragic (small role offered about once every 4-5 games) is the team doesn't think it needs that third guy.  If there was a role to be had, Dragic would be here.  The team apparently thinks it needs more rebounding and rim protection than was provided by Powell and another scorer in the front court.   It quickly filled those slots and made no effort to acquire a third ball handler that we know of.  In fact, the only thing we know is they told a good ball handler they don't have a role for him.  

I'd probably prefer that our injury protection at the position was better than it is.  But, if we were to have the level of guy most here want, Green and Hardy would never see the light of day.  As I've said before, the team's O-Rating when Josh got 20 minutes or more was 125.6 and the D-Rating was 109.1.  Josh hit 42% of his 3's in those 20 games.  Josh seems to be one of those guys who plays better as his minutes increase.  I suspect I'm not the only one who knows this which is why I think he's getting 18-20 minutes a game this season (and is probably starting if Dinwiddie comes off the bench).  I'm not worried about teams doubling Luka because we don't have another point guard on the floor.  He's got the best vision in the business.  I suspect Green, Bullock, DFS and McGee can competently score on the three remaining defenders.

[Image: amen-anchorman.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Jym - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 08:10 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'd probably prefer that our injury protection at the position was better than it is.  But, if we were to have the level of guy most here want, Green and Hardy would never see the light of day. 

Yeah I feel like people have Cuban brain going on
We absolutely have to develop some young talent even if it means we lose a few games here and there

It'll be fine. All the other teams out there do it because in the long run it actually wins you more games and/or gives you tradable assets

(10-09-2022, 12:27 PM)omahen Wrote: You stated a specific window from last season. Important fact, which should not be neglected - both Brunson and Luka were available through the whole stretch. Certainly an important factor for the good result.

No argument there.  But, I’m not saying we don’t need two PG’s.  I’m saying the calls that Dallas has to have a third ball handler and getting one was the reason we started winning may not be accurate.  An anchor to that argument is the winning started before the third one showed up.  In fact, basically the same winning percentage the 22 games before the trade with only two ball handlers as the 25 games after the trade with three. 

It turns out as posted a bit later in this thread, Mavs might be targeting a different player for the role all along. 

As for injury protection, I don't believe any of Green, FN or Hardy is capable of running a team offense. Neither is Wood. You are posting plus Green minutes, but those minutes were not with him as primary offense initiator. Greens minutes actually increased after the all star break, but of course THJ was out. 

We don’t have any idea if that is an agent throwing Dallas into the mix to pump up interest or a legitimate story.  Regardless, would Campazzo bump Josh from his minutes?  I don’t think so.  If not, Campazzo is not the “third ball handler”.  He’s the minimum wage third string PG to be used only in case of injury.  I never said Green or FN or Hardy can be our third ball handler (a role I define as a rotation player).  I said if the rotation is done in a certain way, we don’t have to have a third ball handler in our top 9 rotation players when everyone is healthy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - juanc - 10-09-2022

Am I the only one who sees this year as some kind of "transition" year for the Mavs?
- Yes, the Mavs were in the WCF last year, but I think that every single one of us saw, that this team still has long ways to to go until they are real contenders. There still were some big holes/flaws that need to be fixed before this team can make the next step(and get the one ring to rule them all!)

Why am I mentioning the word transition year?
 First of all, after the 2023 draft, the Mavs will have all the picks to trade, and the first real opportunity, after the KP trade, to add a real second star next to Luka. The dream here would be if the Mavs could somehow land a Shai, Brown, Ingram, Bam,...
I think that there are better teams in the west than the Mavs(Dubs and Clippers), yes we have Luka, but both those teams have star power and depth. Why not use this year as a development year for the young guys. Not only is it good that Green and Hardy get better with more playing time, but also their value goes up if they show some progress.

And yes we lost Brunson, but THJ is back, we got Wood and also the Great JaVale Big Grin
The most important thing IMO is that we haven't lost any defense in the ofseason. We still have Reggie, God King, Maxi, Green/Frank, and also, McGee. Defense still is the most important thing when it come to building a team around Luka and we only got better on that side of the floor.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - ItsGoTime - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 02:12 PM)juanc Wrote: Am I the only one who sees this year as some kind of "transition" year for the Mavs?
- Yes, the Mavs were in the WCF last year, but I think that every single one of us saw, that this team still has long ways to to go until they are real contenders. There still were some big holes/flaws that need to be fixed before this team can make the next step(and get the one ring to rule them all!)

Why am I mentioning the word transition year?
 First of all, after the 2023 draft, the Mavs will have all the picks to trade, and the first real opportunity, after the KP trade, to add a real second star next to Luka. The dream here would be if the Mavs could somehow land a Shai, Brown, Ingram, Bam,...
I think that there are better teams in the west than the Mavs(Dubs and Clippers), yes we have Luka, but both those teams have star power and depth. Why not use this year as a development year for the young guys. Not only is it good that Green and Hardy get better with more playing time, but also their value goes up if they show some progress.

And yes we lost Brunson, but THJ is back, we got Wood and also the Great JaVale Big Grin
The most important thing IMO is that we haven't lost any defense in the ofseason. We still have Reggie, God King, Maxi, Green/Frank, and also, McGee. Defense still is the most important thing when it come to building a team around Luka and we only got better on that side of the floor.
I don’t think of it as a transitional year in the sense that they will test things out more than appropriate, but in the sense that it’s more of a wait it out year and see what kinds of players work with Luka, sure. Not just the young guys either, but see if a decent big man ball handler will find his way with Luka sense. Also, test out all types of SGs next to Luka too. In the end though, Kidd will stop with experiments and focus in on the group that will take us the furthest. Around the end of Dec or beginning of Jan is when we’ll slow down the experiments and hunker down on the playoff rotation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - omahen - 10-09-2022

(11) Marc Stein on Twitter: "Dallas continues to weigh signing PG Facu Campazzo, league sources say, but no firm decision has been made. Campazzo has said since leaving Denver that staying in the NBA is his hope. @webEncestando reports he has EuroLeague interest from Fenerbahce and former team Real Madrid." / Twitter

(11) Marc Stein on Twitter: "The Mavs came into camp hoping to leave open one roster spot and give players under contract first crack at PG minutes unclaimed by Luka Doncic and Spencer Dinwiddie. With the regular season closing in, Dallas could still elect to bring in Campazzo or another vet as a third PG." / Twitter

I do believe Mavs were not looking to add a playmaking guard/wing (we can call him a ballhandler if we want) to the current roster, as there are not enough minutes to go around. In a current situation, a back-up PG in case of emergency should be a goal and a player like Campazzo (or some of us thought Dragic) makes a lot of sense. Especially with an open roster spot. 

However, I don't agree this is because they don't think that is a need but simply because of the personel they have - they couldn't find a good deal for THJ (or even SD). It remains to be seen if Mavs can contend with two weak defenders (Luka and Wood), however I am certain, they can't contend with another weak defender (THJ) playing heavy minutes. Not even mentioning Dinwiddie and Bertans both on heavy contracts and with at least SD (another weak defender) playing serious minutes. Just too many weak defenders to construct a serious defense. The only way I could see THJ on this team is if they go for an elite two way big, lets say Anthony Davis type. Than perhaps THJ would fit with Luka, DFS and Bullock in the line-up. 

I also don't think replacing THJ with another one dimensional 3-D wing would make Mavs a contender. I firmly believe they need more players capable of doing something with the ball when Luka creates space for them. If they don't think another ballhandler is a need, I don't agree until they prove differently. The offense would be just too static with basically constant Luka-Wood PnR or PnP and three static shooters next to them. Also, Mavs basically have only three good rotational D players in DFS, Bullock and Maxi with the hope Green can develop in the fourth one (and a bit slimmer hope FN can become one). I do expect Wood to be an excellent fit offensively. Everything we thought KP would be. The season will show if they can cover for him defensively. What can Mavs do, if the experiment fails or Wood walks in the summer?  And what if simultanously Green can't develop into fourth D guy? Mavs are betting a lot on some things to happen that may just as easily fail. In that case, there will be huge holes to fill next season.

With clock ticking. And whole league knows clock is ticking for the Mavs. Louder with every season and prices going up with every season because of that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - KillerLeft - 10-09-2022

Finally, a good rumor!

Would love Campazzo!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 14 - Chicagojk - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 08:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Finally, a good rumor!

Would love Campazzo!

I spent a lot of time watching his overseas highlights a few years ago.  They were really fun.   He never made his mark in Denver for a pretty smart front office.  Plus he is very small.   But as a 15th man, sure.   There are probably 10 guys I would be fine with.  I would prefer some over the others.  

It would seem like the Mavs would not be thrilled with Frank's audition for the role.  I don't know how you could say otherwise.  I think most were surprised they thought he would be insurance as a point guard.   Frank may have certain NBA skills but I don't think he is going to be a guy to run an offense, I don't think.