MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Chicagojk - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 01:22 AM)cow Wrote: I would think having Pinson on the rosters limits the amount of guys you'd want that don't have upside.  Pinson can also be used in case of emergency and he's got a really nice bball IQ.  Everyone else on the end of the bench should probably be guys that have upside or athletic traits that could be developed.

Yeah, I am not saying it is my preferred solution, but I think it is a little trickier situation than it appears on the surface.

I do think the Mavs really need a reliable third ball handler.    But the minutes are really tight.    I have been saying since June that if the Mavs still have hopes for Josh Green that he needs to get consistent minutes in year 3.  It does him no good if he goes back to sitting on the bench all game in year 3.   So you have to factor in some minutes for Josh....if the Mavs still think he can develop into a quality NBA player.   Hardaway is good (not very good last year prior to injury though) and he is much closer to a 30 minute a game player, than a 20 minute a game player.   Moving forward, I think the easiest solution is to move Hardaway for a better fitting part.  But I don't expect that move to present itself anytime soon.   

So is it better to bring in a vet who probably is going to expect playing time or go down the hope and pray & bandaid solution for the short term?   I would probably prefer the vet angle, but it is not a clean fit on that role & playing time with the roster as is.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-30-2022

(09-29-2022, 05:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Honestly, just that - starting Hardaway, Ntilikina or even Green over Dinwiddie and enabling a higher percentage of Dinwiddie's minutes to be on-ball, playing downhill, would make me more comfortable.

If someone moves Spencer to the bench, I suspect it will be Wood.  So, McGee, Wood, DFS, Bullock and Luka.

I finally got to listen to a little of the Media day coverage and two things I heard that stood out to me were Kidd saying the starter’s he’s named are starters for now.  I also heard Wood say/infer he expects to be extended or sign as a FA at starter level pay.

It makes some sense to have the continuity of what worked in the playoffs (with a better version of Powell in McGee and SD as the Brunson replacement).  But, I suspect Wood will be one of our best five players and will finish games with Maxi.  As I outlined yesterday, I think there are only about 12 minutes of Luka/Dinwiddie overlap if one of them is to be on the court at all times.  If so, I’d rather that overlap occur at the end of the second and fourth than the beginning of the first/third.  So, the closing lineup for each half would be Maxi/Wood/DFS/SD and Luka

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - michaeltex - 09-30-2022

(09-29-2022, 01:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't really think they need to spend assets to get a decent 3rd point guard.  They probably could have had Dragic if they pushed for it.  They could probably have Kemba right now if they wanted.  

I realize Kidd knows way more about basketball (and particularly PG play) than I do, but I still have to seriously question what looks to be his contention that Grank is a better option at PG than Dragic or Kemba.
I get the desire for a proven 3rd PG, but the MBT obviously doesn't want to impact future flexibility by making a multi-year commitment. 

We also lament here about the Mavs past inability to develop talent (RC was notoriously impatient with youngsters). If Kidd and his staff think there are developmental potential, I'm OK with giving Frank and Green some room to grow. I'm also interested in seeing what Dorsey brings. By December, this may be a non-issue.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - ItsGoTime - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 09:03 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I get the desire for a proven 3rd PG, but the MBT obviously doesn't want to impact future flexibility by making a multi-year commitment. 

We also lament here about the Mavs past inability to develop talent (RC was notoriously impatient with youngsters). If Kidd and his staff think there are developmental potential, I'm OK with giving Frank and Green some room to grow. I'm also interested in seeing what Dorsey brings. By December, this may be a non-issue.
Absolutely, and on the flip side, if it is an issue, there is plenty of time to remedy it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - HoosierDaddyKid - 09-30-2022

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1575577378251677696?cxt=HHwWgICprePRyd0rAAAA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Scott41theMavs - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 09:27 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1575577378251677696?cxt=HHwWgICprePRyd0rAAAA

I would rage about them reneging on their supposed desire for another wing, but then again, it's probably more that 1) Phoenix won't take our trash, and/or 2) the Mavs are too stupid to part with Powell.

(09-30-2022, 08:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I also heard Wood say/infer he expects to be extended or sign as a FA at starter level pay.

If the Mavs successfully extend Wood for $20 mil/year or less, 1) it will be a minor miracle, and 2) I will give them credit. Of course, it's then on Kidd to make sure Wood doesn't become the problem he has been at his other stops.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - KillerLeft - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 08:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, McGee, Wood, DFS, Bullock and Luka.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but:

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493b9bnmrri75axkp3yxvey...w.gif&ct=g]

(09-30-2022, 08:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: As I outlined yesterday, I think there are only about 12 minutes of Luka/Dinwiddie overlap if one of them is to be on the court at all times.  If so, I’d rather that overlap occur at the end of the second and fourth than the beginning of the first/third.  So, the closing lineup for each half would be Maxi/Wood/DFS/SD and Luka

Same page on this, for sure.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - omahen - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 08:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think there are only about 12 minutes of Luka/Dinwiddie overlap

This is true. Although experience from last season showed how much easier it is to play when there is more than one player on the floor that is capable to efficiently do more than shoot an open jumper. I am not really convinced Wood can do much more than just finish the pass out of PnR or PnP. 

Biggest Mavs problem will be, when one of Luka or SD will be out, which we can expect to happen 10-15 games in a season for each, mostly not at same time. So 20-30 games where there will be a huge need for another facilitator for roughly 15 minutes. I am in the club that doesn't believe any of the players on the team is capable to lead an efficient offense without Luka and SD. This is a role where an experienced PG like Dragic could help, but reportedly didn't want to be limited to such limited role. We will see, how it will work.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - IamDougieFresh - 09-30-2022

I'm watching Mavs practice right now and I'm here to tell you Josh Green has arrived.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - IamDougieFresh - 09-30-2022

He's splashing 3s when open and driving aggressively and well when he is not.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Scott41theMavs - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 11:49 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I'm watching Mavs practice right now and I'm here to tell you Josh Green has arrived.

Wouldn't that be awesome...

More 3rd ball handler concerns... Luka was easily able to lock up Frank.

Luka has been the worst player at practice since I started watching lol

Also funny that Tim is an afterthought on this board when he is going to play 25+ minutes per game.

If you guys can, you should watch this live practice. It's awesome.

Here is the link

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Chicagojk - 09-30-2022

I just turned it on.  Wow...I didn't know they would have that much access.  HOpefully it is something I can watch from start later on.

The ball movement is spectacular for camp just starting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - KillerLeft - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 12:04 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: If you guys can, you should watch this live practice. It's awesome.

Here is the link

Dude this is so badass. Thanks for the heads up.

(09-30-2022, 12:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Dude this is so badass. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem baby

this camera angle and access makes you aware how fast the game is.

I'm also 100% sold on J Kidd now.

RC would let Kidd draw up plays in the huddle??? Wow.