MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - F Gump - 09-28-2022

Dorsey's situation makes me think it's probably a good window into seeing how the Mavs FO thinks and acts, and how manipulative they are trying to be in what they say about what's going on.

The Mavs have been trying to sell us on how wonderful it is to have the "flexibility" of an open slot. But that's just selling us on air. (The real advantage is to have talent, not the open space that might somehow become talent later on, maybe, if only, somehow). There's no flexibility truly gained -- filling that slot with a minimum salary wouldn't prevent changing direction later and using it on someone else - it just keeps from costing Cuban a few dollars if they goof up.

So when they say it that way, I tend to question if they even truly have a 15th slot open. Maybe Dorsey is signed to fill that 15th slot, and they are trying to skirt the tax rules in how they pay him, as follows:
1 Sign to a 2-way, which allows the player to play 50 games with Mavs. For those 50 games, the player gets paid usual NBA minimum salary. But 2-way salary doesn't count on cap (or tax) totals.
2 At game 51, instead of sending him to GL because he is out of NBA games allowed, "convert" the 2-way contract to a minimum salary NBA deal. Player continues seamlessly on the roster, and Mavs continue to pay minimum salary, for the rest of the season.
3 The "cost" for doing this is that you waste a 2-way slot, that could otherwise be used for developing a young player and supplementing your NBA roster in the process. And when you convert the contract after 50 games, you don't get to sign another player to a 2-way because the window has closed.
4 But it is cheaper on Cuban's wallet. The tax is reduced. And he is paying one less salary, avoiding the cost of another 2-way player.

Oh, and BTW, perhaps the answer to "why don't they use BOTH 2-way slots in this manner," the answer is that NBA roster limits prevent that. You must have 14 NBA players on your roster. The two-ways don't count.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - ItsGoTime - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 09:19 AM)F Gump Wrote: The Mavs have been trying to sell us on how wonderful it is to have the "flexibility" of an open slot.
I don’t remember the quote that leads to this sentence. Who was it that said it and what was the context around it? Not trying to say it wasn’t said at all, I just usually clue into stuff said like this and just can’t remember a time a Mavs staffer said anything like this. Was it a reporter of some sort that was conveying a message from a Mavs staffer, or speculation?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - F Gump - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 09:38 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t remember the quote that leads to this sentence. Who was it that said it and what was the context around it? Not trying to say it wasn’t said at all, I just usually clue into stuff said like this and just can’t remember a time a Mavs staffer said anything like this. Was it a reporter of some sort that was conveying a message from a Mavs staffer, or speculation?

Cuban himself. In interview after interview, he is "selling" this nonsense. Or so he thinks.

One example, in late August:

Cuban was asked about whether the Mavs will make any more roster moves before training camp on The Norm & D Invasion radio show (at the 4:09 mark).

“Unlikely, unless something somebody gets cut somewhere that really surprises us. I mean, we want that flexibility throughout the season,” Cuban said to the Dallas radio show. “I know how fans feel about it. It’s always like, you know, ‘We got to win the summer we’ve got to do this and we got to do that.’ But you know, come trade deadline, having a roster spot will be beneficial. Come that time when teams are doing buyouts that roster spot can be very beneficial.”

Flexibility. Needing an open spot for buyouts (in 7 months from now!). It feels to me like he's just throwing crap against the wall, in hopes that something will stick with the listener.

This was not an isolated one off. It happened to be the first that popped up on a google search. But Cuban has been pitching this poop to anyone who will listen, to "explain" why it's smart (not cheap) front office work going on in Dallas. Keep your ears open going forward, because whenever he's asked why they don't have a full roster, this shuffle-step is what we get.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - KillerLeft - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 09:19 AM)F Gump Wrote: So when they say it that way, I tend to question if they even truly have a 15th slot open. Maybe Dorsey is signed to fill that 15th slot, and they are trying to skirt the tax rules in how they pay him, as follows:
1 Sign to a 2-way, which allows the player to play 50 games with Mavs. For those 50 games, the player gets paid usual NBA minimum salary. But 2-way salary doesn't count on cap (or tax) totals.
2 At game 51, instead of sending him to GL because he is out of NBA games allowed, "convert" the 2-way contract to a minimum salary NBA deal. Player continues seamlessly on the roster, and Mavs continue to pay minimum salary, for the rest of the season.
3 The "cost" for doing this is that you waste a 2-way slot, that could otherwise be used for developing a young player and supplementing your NBA roster in the process. And when you convert the contract after 50 games, you don't get to sign another player to a 2-way because the window has closed.
4 But it is cheaper on Cuban's wallet. The tax is reduced. And he is paying one less salary, avoiding the cost of another 2-way player.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head here, my friend. Great work!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - cow - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 09:38 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t remember the quote that leads to this sentence. Who was it that said it and what was the context around it? Not trying to say it wasn’t said at all, I just usually clue into stuff said like this and just can’t remember a time a Mavs staffer said anything like this. Was it a reporter of some sort that was conveying a message from a Mavs staffer, or speculation?

Nico mentioned the open slot in his sit down interview with the Locked On The Mavs guys.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Jmaciscool - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 10:15 AM)F Gump Wrote: Cuban himself. In interview after interview, he is "selling" this nonsense. Or so he thinks.

Cuban was asked about whether the Mavs will make any more roster moves before training camp on The Norm & D Invasion radio show (at the 4:09 mark).

“Unlikely, unless something somebody gets cut somewhere that really surprises us. I mean, we want that flexibility throughout the season,” Cuban said to the Dallas radio show. “I know how fans feel about it. It’s always like, you know, ‘We got to win the summer we’ve got to do this and we got to do that.’ But you know, come trade deadline, having a roster spot will be beneficial. Come that time when teams are doing buyouts that roster spot can be very beneficial.”

Flexibility. Needing an open spot for buyouts (in 7 months from now!). It feels to me like he's just throwing crap against the wall, in hopes that something will stick with the listener.

This was not an isolated one off. It happened to be the first that popped up on a google search. But Cuban has been pitching this poop to anyone who will listen, to "explain" why it's smart (not cheap) front office work going on in Dallas. Keep your ears open going forward, because whenever he's asked why they don't have a full roster, this shuffle-step is what we get.

This makes a lot of sense

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Jym - 09-28-2022

And most importantly they lucked into a situation where they got someone who should be a regular rotation player on a 2-way deal. Not exactly easy to do.
If he waits until after that tournament to sign, he gets a 1 year vet min at the very least from someone

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - ItsGoTime - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 10:15 AM)F Gump Wrote: Cuban himself. In interview after interview, he is "selling" this nonsense. Or so he thinks.

Ok, that’s pretty dumb, ESPECIALLY considering they signed Pinson to a deal. That’s the most waivable contract in the NBA.

(09-28-2022, 12:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ok, that’s pretty dumb, ESPECIALLY considering they signed Pinson to a deal. That’s the most waivable contract in the NBA.

LOL yeah. I didn't say it was a convincing sales job! (I think Cuban's over-valuing of and ongoing reliance on his own "expert" salesmanship has long been a handicap to the Mavs. They need that expert guy so so sooooooooooooo badly.)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Hypermav - 09-28-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1575192034025308160?s=20&t=1HLJGSvO6FAqW8gpw7Zngw

Luka, Tim and Darth Powell.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Hypermav - 09-28-2022

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1575202084198105088?s=20&t=1HLJGSvO6FAqW8gpw7Zngw

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1575175935078567936?s=20&t=1HLJGSvO6FAqW8gpw7Zngw

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - KillerLeft - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 12:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ok, that’s pretty dumb, ESPECIALLY considering they signed Pinson to a deal. That’s the most waivable contract in the NBA.

I don't disagree with what you're at war with here in a general sense, but I think time will tell that Pinson, specifically, is way less offensive in this regard than Boban was. Pinson is a player who can actually help on the court. If DFS or Bullock miss significant time, I feel like we'll be happy Pinson is on the team.

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1575177950190010368?s=20&t=1HLJGSvO6FAqW8gpw7Zngw

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - HAguiar95 - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 02:32 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1575175935078567936?s=20&t=1HLJGSvO6FAqW8gpw7Zngw

DP with almost the same Off. rebounds than the GSW series. NICE!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - cow - 09-28-2022

(09-28-2022, 02:32 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1575175935078567936?s=20&t=1HLJGSvO6FAqW8gpw7Zngw

Diamond controlling the boards with three offensives in a row.

(09-28-2022, 02:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't disagree with what you're at war with here in a general sense, but I think time will tell that Pinson, specifically, is way less offensive in this regard than Boban was. Pinson is a player who can actually help on the court. If DFS or Bullock miss significant time, I feel like we'll be happy Pinson is on the team.
I don’t know, even if they don’t show any improvement over last year, I’d rather see Green and Frank get those minutes.

Edit: and Dorsey for that matter

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Kammrath - 09-28-2022

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1575229997237043200

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Kammrath - 09-28-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1575187134322835457

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Jym - 09-28-2022

Hardy was a steal for sure.
He would have been a lottery pick last summer if high schoolers could have been drafted