MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-07-2022

(09-07-2022, 06:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This weeks Lowe Post Podcast has a deep dive on the mavs after Knicks and Jazz talk.

“At some point they have to make their Jrue Holiday trade”.  “They have about a two year window to get that done”. - Lowe

“When Luka is in shape and healthy, the Mav’s have a shot to have home court in the first round”. - McMahon

“I’ll give you a rotation sleeper…Tyler Dorsey”.  “He left good money on the table for an NBA 2-way because he believes he’s an NBA player”. - McMahon

“I think their Defense was more or less legit…that plus Luka and about a top 10 Offense…you have something pretty good there”. - Lowe

“They are not an inner-circle title contender, but they can also beat anyone in a seven game series” - Lowe

“Trade deadline deals are tricky.  They just have to protect their picks for the big trade later”. - McMahon

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-07-2022

(09-07-2022, 06:25 PM)F Gump Wrote: Speaking of contract year impact, there was interesting info provided recently on a Hooked on Mavs podcast about the possibility of signing Schroder.

I listened to that to.  I’ve never been a Schroeder guy and the thing they mentioned that frightened me a bit was the fact Kidd coached him in LA.  Maybe that experience is why he isn’t a Mav already, but I worry that Kidd may go with the devil he knows rather than one he doesn’t.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - cow - 09-07-2022

(09-07-2022, 06:25 PM)F Gump Wrote: It may only be coincidental, but maybe it is informative, that once he was gone, BOS was much better and more successful.

Boston was kind of messy with Smart, Brown and Tatum all having conflicts with one another.  That's probably not an ideal situation with someone as temperamental as Schroder.  I'd be a lot more curious on CP3 and LeBron's thoughts on him.  He played well in OKC and with the Lakers and even got a massive contract offer from the Lakers, so it's not all negative when it comes to him.  Further, it's a simple risk/reward thing in my eyes.  If he'd take a one year deal at the minimum, that's an easy signing as it's also easy to send him home if he becomes a culture problem.  You might even be able to flip him for a SRP at the deadline depending on the injury situation around the rest of the league.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Kammrath - 09-07-2022

(09-07-2022, 07:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: “When Luka is in shape and healthy, the Mav’s have a shot to have home court in the first round”. - McMahon

The absolute X-Factor this season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - cow - 09-07-2022

(09-07-2022, 08:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The absolute X-Factor this season.

I think you mean X-Fatter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - mvossman - 09-07-2022

(09-07-2022, 07:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: “At some point they have to make their Jrue Holiday trade”.  “They have about a two year window to get that done”. - Lowe

“When Luka is in shape and healthy, the Mav’s have a shot to have home court in the first round”. - McMahon

“I’ll give you a rotation sleeper…Tyler Dorsey”.  “He left good money on the table for an NBA 2-way because he believes he’s an NBA player”. - McMahon

“I think their Defense was more or less legit…that plus Luka and about a top 10 Offense…you have something pretty good there”. - Lowe

“They are not an inner-circle title contender, but they can also beat anyone in a seven game series” - Lowe

“Trade deadline deals are tricky.  They just have to protect their picks for the big trade later”. - McMahon

Thanks for the breakdown.  Agree with just about all of this and that first point could be my sig.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Jason Terry - 09-08-2022

(09-07-2022, 10:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: Thanks for the breakdown.  Agree with just about all of this and that first point could be my sig.
Yes. We’re waiting on the jrue holiday trade. 3 unprotected FRPs and a few pick swaps for our guy. Less than a year now before we have that option

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - JamesConway912 - 09-08-2022

(09-07-2022, 08:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The absolute X-Factor this season.

Luka is a guaranteed All NBA 1st team performer even in his early 20s.

It’s the rest of the team that’s a lot harder to predict:

- will Hardaway be as bad as he was before the injury last year or will he show up like the previous two seasons?
- can Kleber stay healthy and not fall into a long shooting slump again?
- can Bullock keep up with his play-off performances or will he drop into a hole again like he did prior to his covid-infection last year?
- how will Wood react to his reportedly expected bench role in a contract year?
- will Dinwiddie be as up and down again as he was last season (regular season vs playoffs)? if so which phase will be longer?

With Luka you’re always gonna get elite performances, especially when it matters. It’s the rest of the squad who will make or break the season.

You need to chill with the Luka-dogging. He’s been nothing short of historically good here given his age. The rest of the organization has to do its homework too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Chicagojk - 09-08-2022

(09-07-2022, 10:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: Thanks for the breakdown.  Agree with just about all of this and that first point could be my sig.

One of them said the Mavs don't have a Khriss Middleton yet.   Two years is a long way away.  I hope it doesn't take that long, but the Mavs can't be wrong on this move.   I keep thinking a player like Paul George would fit like a glove.   I just don't think we will be able to get a player at his level or better.    Although maybe that changes if a player is close to free agency or has a really bloated contract like Bradley Beal.  

In the meantime, I think it is fair to judge how this team builds around the edges.   I think the Clippers are a good example.    Terrance Mann was a second round pick.    Reggie Jackson was a castoff.    Zubac was a castoff.  Supposedly they like their young players in BJ Boston & Jason Preston.   Batum and Wall (we will see about him) were veterans looking to re-establish their value when they signed with LAC.    It is almost to a point they have too many playable players.  But I think it is fair to use this as a grading scale for the Mavs looking to build on the edges until they can make a bigger move.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Kammrath - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 07:41 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Luka is a guaranteed All NBA 1st team performer even in his early 20s.

It’s the rest of the team that’s a lot harder to predict:

- will Hardaway be as bad as he was before the injury last year or will he show up like the previous two seasons?
- can Kleber stay healthy and not fall into a long shooting slump again?
- can Bullock keep up with his play-off performances or will he drop into a hole again like he did prior to his covid-infection last year?
- how will Wood react to his reportedly expected bench role in a contract year?
- will Dinwiddie be as up and down again as he was last season (regular season vs playoffs)? if so which phase will be longer?

With Luka you’re always gonna get elite performances, especially when it matters. It’s the rest of the squad who will make or break the season.

You need to chill with the Luka-dogging. He’s been nothing short of historically good here given his age. The rest of the organization has to do its homework too.

It is NOT "Luka-dogging." 

This is my repeated point about Luka:

Luka is SO good and SO transcendent that he has more potential for growth than the whole rest of the team combined. Luka has so much potential that he could single-handedly take this team into ELITE contender status by taking his game and body to the next level. Nobody else on this team has the potential to take this team to the next level by personal improvement. Luka has that ability, NOT because he is "bad" now (something I have never, ever said), but because he has such a ridiculously high ceiling (the highest I have ever seen since MJ). To say that Luka has a ton of room to grow is NOT an attack on his current level of play at all. Not one bit. It is a commentary on his potential

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Tyler - 09-08-2022

https://twitter.com/yahoosportsnba/status/1567877600151851009?s=46&t=A_8Te_RrTbazmSl3osKpnw

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Scott41theMavs - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 09:16 AM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/yahoosportsnba/status/1567877600151851009?s=46&t=A_8Te_RrTbazmSl3osKpnw

Wait, did they mistake him for Powell or something?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - ItsGoTime - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 09:23 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Wait, did they mistake him for Powell or something?
Honestly I think that’s an overpay for what he’s going to be going forward. Back issues don’t get better, they get worse, question is, how fast will it get worse? He is, however, more deserving than Powell of that contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Scott41theMavs - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 09:41 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Honestly I think that’s an overpay for what he’s going to be going forward. Back issues don’t get better, they get worse, question is, how fast will it get worse? He is, however, more deserving than Powell of that contract.

That's probably the least they could have paid to extend him according to rules or something. If they overpaid, it's probably a payback of their own guy when they should have given him the money they gave Powell.

Just wait for the other shoe to drop - Powell extended again at Bertans money. But we can't add a third PG, because luxury tax.  Rolleyes

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - ItsGoTime - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 11:23 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: That's probably the least they could have paid to extend him according to rules or something. If they overpaid, it's probably a payback of their own guy when they should have given him the money they gave Powell.

Just wait for the other shoe to drop - Powell extended again at Bertans money. But we can't add a third PG, because luxury tax.  Rolleyes
If Maxi didn’t have back issues, I would love this contract and believe it is on par or better. Reality is, Maxi has back issues and those don’t go away, they only get worse. It’s the reason MPJ went so low in the draft because his shelf life is so low.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Jym - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 11:57 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If Maxi didn’t have back issues, I would love this contract and believe it is on par or better. Reality is, Maxi has back issues and those don’t go away, they only get worse. It’s the reason MPJ went so low in the draft because his shelf life is so low.

speaking of which, MPJ makes $41 mil in 2026-27
I think Denver is going to be regretting the hell out of that deal

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - DallasMaverick - 09-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 12:43 PM)Jym Wrote: speaking of which, MPJ makes $41 mil in 2026-27
I think Denver is going to be regretting the hell out of that deal

Chandler Parsons
Kemba Walker
Kristaps Porzingis
John Wall

Injuries can make an OK contract look really bad in a hurry.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - Kammrath - 09-10-2022

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1568646641124798464

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - chaparral - 09-10-2022

(09-10-2022, 12:20 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1568646641124798464

I can see a fine coming Mark's way...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) | preseason Oct 5, 7, 14 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-11-2022

Mark Stein's initial Power Ranking of the year:

West             East
GSW
                     Milwaukee
                     Boston
Denver
LAC
Phoenix
                     Philly
Memphis
                     Cleveland
                     Miami
Minnesota
New Orleans
Dallas 

So, he puts Dallas 8th in West/13th overall.  First, I'll be surprised if the top four he's listed all finish top four.  Something always happens to someone.  Second, I think the next four are fairly malleable.  It could be any order among those four and it wouldn't shock me.