MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Winter - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 08:11 PM)jon.neal52 Wrote: I believe if you find a way to add Brogdon and get Goran here your team is set. I would be happy with that roster.

I bet Carlisle would love to see Hardaway and Powell in a Pacer's uniform.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Fuerza1 - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 08:11 PM)jon.neal52 Wrote: I believe if you find a way to add Brogdon and get Goran here your team is set. I would be happy with that roster.

Tim MacMahon said the Brogdon and his agents really wanted him come to Dallas when he was hitting free agency a few years back. Problem was the Mavs were scared off with Brogdon's medicals. 

Mavs are desperate but I don't think they're that desperate to roll the dice on him now. Not sure Mavs have the assets anyways. 

Also, Marc Stein said the Mavs aren't looking at any guards; hoping to add more wings and frontcourt depth (just got McGee).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Winter - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 08:24 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Tim MacMahon said the Brogdon and his agents really wanted him come to Dallas when he was hitting free agency a few years back. Problem was the Mavs were scared off with Brogdon's medicals. 

And that may be true now.

On the other hand, he a had a particular foot problem then that worried a lot of teams. I'm not sure that's really the issue now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Kammrath - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 08:24 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Marc Stein said the Mavs aren't looking at any guards; hoping to add more wings and frontcourt depth (just got McGee).

This needs to be on the forefront of our minds as we speculate.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - cow - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 08:16 PM)Winter Wrote: I bet Carlisle would love to see Hardaway and Powell in a Pacer's uniform.

Need another team for Buddy then, no?  THJ and he seem highly redundant.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - KillerLeft - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 08:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This needs to be on the forefront of our minds as we speculate.

I totally agree...unless Hardaway ends up outgoing. I don't expect that to happen, and I trust Stein's info. But if Hardaway is outgoing to make some money work, there had absolutely better be a starting off-guard coming back.

(06-30-2022, 08:27 PM)cow Wrote: Need another team for Buddy then, no?  THJ and he seem highly redundant.

Good point.

I'm guessing we are barking up the wrong tree here, but it's not like we have a lot to work with. The Pacers are just an easy team to imagine in play.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - StepBackJay - 07-01-2022

(06-30-2022, 08:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I totally agree...unless Hardaway ends up outgoing. I don't expect that to happen, and I trust Stein's info. But if Hardaway is outgoing to make some money work, there had absolutely better be a starting off-guard coming back.

THJ + Powell for McConnell + Hield

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Cherokee Parks is the Future - 07-01-2022

Not sure if this has been posted already but I thought it was pretty relevant to Cuban and his possible financial exposure in all of this...
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/crypto-brokerage-voyager-digital-shares-fall-as-much-as-40-after-suspending-trading-deposits-withdrawals-2022-07-01

Dallas Mavericks affiliated crypto exchange Voyager Digital is in deep trouble.  I wonder how much Cuban has invested in them personally.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Branduil - 07-01-2022

I've always been one of the biggest Brogdon advocates here and now the need is clear with Brunson gone. Obviously he has health concerns, but if we have Dinwiddie and Dragic that's a good amount of insurance.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - sterlingmallory - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:30 PM)Branduil Wrote: I've always been one of the biggest Brogdon advocates here and now the need is clear with Brunson gone. Obviously he has health concerns, but if we have Dinwiddie and Dragic that's a good amount of insurance.

Brogdon was traded to the Celtics

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Branduil - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:32 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Brogdon was traded to the Celtics

Shit, I missed that.

Well looking forward to whichever team Luka joins in 2 years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Kammrath - 07-01-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1543056545570852865

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Kammrath - 07-01-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1543067537268740098

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Jommybone - 07-01-2022

Depressing to hear there’s nothing cooking.

(07-01-2022, 10:22 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Depressing to hear there’s nothing cooking.

Just means the things cooking are waiting on KD or something else.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - sterlingmallory - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:34 PM)Branduil Wrote: Shit, I missed that.

Well looking forward to whichever team Luka joins in 2 years.

The situation is definitely a lot more precarious than many people realize. Losing Brunson is such a massive blow. Our only real opportunity for upside on this current roster is the hope that Wood plays at an all star level next to Luka and that Hardy turns out to be a Brunson or Tyrese Maxey level prospect. Everyone else are nice role players but more or less at their peak and all are at best properly paid (DFS/Bullock/Maxi), somewhat overpaid (Dinwiddie/THJ) or at worst wildly overpaid (Bertans). Wood and Hardy are the only ones we can really hope will significantly outplay their contract unless you think Green or Ntilikina are set to break out. Combine that with limited draft capital and no real projected cap space until like 2024, when Luka will be entering into his 7th year, it's looking kind of bleak.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Bayliss - 07-01-2022

Sorry Caplin,

But after seeing the Mavs wheel and deal today…..  in the words of Johnny Depp…. “I think I will sleep on the couch.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Theo RFA | Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - SleepingHero - 07-02-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:59 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The situation is definitely a lot more precarious than many people realize. Losing Brunson is such a massive blow. Our only real opportunity for upside on this current roster is the hope that Wood plays at an all star level next to Luka and that Hardy turns out to be a Brunson or Tyrese Maxey level prospect. Everyone else are nice role players but more or less at their peak and all are at best properly paid (DFS/Bullock/Maxi), somewhat overpaid (Dinwiddie/THJ) or at worst wildly overpaid (Bertans). Wood and Hardy are the only ones we can really hope will significantly outplay their contract unless you think Green or Ntilikina are set to break out. Combine that with limited draft capital and no real projected cap space until like 2024, when Luka will be entering into his 7th year, it's looking kind of bleak.

Totally disagree.

This team was close to a 50 win team when Brunson was a benchwarmer, THJ was the starting 2 guard, and KP was in and out of the lineup. 

If we take today's Mavs and compare them to 2 seasons ago we got:

Luka/Dinwiddie/Frank              Luka/Brunson/Burke
Bullock/THJ                            THJ/Richardson/Reddick
DFS/Green                                DFS/Green
Wood/Maxi/Bertans                  KP/Maxi/Melli
McGee/Powell                          Powell/WCS/Boban

To me there are already CLEAR upgrades from that team that posted a 47 win pace despite the fact KP played in almost half the games. The wing rotation has filled out. Wood should be a more reliable KP without attitude issues (I'm praying at least). McGee is a solid 10mpg guy but Maxi is the real star of the show. AND the Mavs still have Dinwiddie who proved to be a valuable 6th man. Probably most important though is that the team has a coach that the players are happy to play for. 

Looking at our current roster getting another wing and Dragic should solidify it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Dragic to DAL? | interest in Thybulle? McGee? | SnT for JB? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 07-02-2022

The Mavs should be fine.

The saving grace for this season should be Wood. IF Wood keeps his head straight and actually works on his game, specially on the defensive end, his impact will be enormous. Sure that's a big IF, but it's not too far off from reality. Luka hasn't played with a big like Wood before. Dirk was on his last legs, and KP doesn't have the speed and agility of Wood. And unlike KP, Wood can actually punish smaller guys and he doesn't need someone to set him up to do so.

I do not underestimate what Wood can do. He'd be a difference maker.

Of course the ideal scenario would be to have JB around. But I'm optimistic a focused Christian Wood can help the Mavs win 50 games.

And as much as the Mavs say they still need a wing, I hope they get another ballhandling playmaker. If not Dragic, they just need another guard who can create for himself and others. Doesn't have to be a PG, just someone who can score on his own, go where he wants to, and pass decently.