MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Mavs2021 - 07-24-2022

It´s hilarious how much people here always care about the feelings of agents and the perception of players in free agency, but then they are fine with the Mavs immediately alienating a volatile player for a 35 year old back-up center that was basically viewed as a joke for 15 years. But I guess you guys are correct. Let´s make Wood earn the minutes off the bench, once he responds to the challenge and establishes himself as the clearly 2nd best player on the team we move him to the starting five. Then we gonna pay him market value in the summer like.....oops.

Mark Cuban thinks he´s Pat Riley or Phil Jackson. LOL. He´s Scott Skiles or Steve Clifford.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - DanSchwartzgan - 07-24-2022

Dorsey 2-Way official:

DALLAS - The Dallas Mavs have once again “gone Euro.” Kind of.
When the Mavs recently chose to leave a roster spot open and let Luka Doncic’s buddy Goran Dragic sign with the Chicago Bulls, many assumed it was because something bigger might be coming via trade in the coming days or weeks … although an NBA team does not have to leave a roster spot open in that situation.

And mow they have apparently decided to add one more player while keeping that last official roster spot open.

According to multiple European media outlets, the Mavs back in the first week of July struck a deal with 6-5 Olympiacos shooting guard Tyler Dorsey. And on Saturday night, Shams notes that the deal has become a reality, in the form of a 2-way contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Chicagojk - 07-24-2022

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1551060895110938624?s=20&t=iGNyShLgIy-fCwLS1ZSMMQ

I can’t comment if he is an nba player so I will ask if he will actually play g league games or will he be given the Theo Pinson 2 way spot where he is mainly with the pro team?

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1551061633014714368?s=21&t=Dx68plbokMNzVPLbUn1EUQ

[/url][color=var(--posttitletextcolor)][Fedor] The Cavaliers offered Collin Sexton a contract worth close to $40 million in three seasons
[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/w6wnbn/fedor_the_cavaliers_offered_collin_sexton_a/]

[Image: renderTimingPixel.png]
[/color]
Quote:The Cavs have made what I’m told is a multi-year contract offer to Collin Sexton, one that they feel is reasonable based on the fact that he has no market and he has no other offers.
Quote:“I’m told that it is close to $40 million in total money,” Chris Fedor said recently. “So think of like a three-year, $40 million deal.”
Quote:“It’s way less than what Collin initially wanted,” Fedor said. “I don’t know that it’s the kind of deal that Collin and his camp would be willing to take.”

An important thing to remember about Cleveland is supposedly they would like to keep flexible and potential have cap room available if it appears Lebron stays at his high level of play and decides to leave LAL next offseason.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - soog - 07-24-2022

(07-24-2022, 10:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: [/url][color=var(--posttitletextcolor)][Fedor] The Cavaliers offered Collin Sexton a contract worth close to $40 million in three seasons
[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/w6wnbn/fedor_the_cavaliers_offered_collin_sexton_a/]

[Image: renderTimingPixel.png]
[/color]

An important thing to remember about Cleveland is supposedly they would like to keep flexible and potential have cap room available if it appears Lebron stays at his high level of play and decides to leave LAL next offseason.

I keep trying to figure out what the Mavs would offer and how they would incentivize a S&T with the Cavs to facilitate, but I can’t come up with much. 

Aside from Love (who is an expiring) they don’t have any bad contracts, and most of what I come up with just leaves them older with more salary. At that point I have to believe the draft compensation would be very high.

Anyone smarter than me have a realistic S&T proposal?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - BigDirk41 - 07-24-2022

(07-24-2022, 01:43 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: It´s hilarious how much people here always care about the feelings of agents and the perception of players in free agency, but then they are fine with the Mavs immediately alienating a volatile player for a 35 year old back-up center that was basically viewed as a joke for 15 years. But I guess you guys are correct. Let´s make Wood earn the minutes off the bench, once he responds to the challenge and establishes himself as the clearly 2nd best player on the team we move him to the starting five. Then we gonna pay him market value in the summer like.....oops.

Mark Cuban thinks he´s Pat Riley or Phil Jackson. LOL. He´s Scott Skiles or Steve Clifford.

Wood can't just come off the street and start on the perennial powerhouse Mavs team that contends for championships every season. We have the greatest and smartest owner in the league and obviously we have a huge trade planned that will make the Mavs WAY better! I can't wait for this trade. I'm so excited to know the Mavs have this under control. Never doubt Cuban, Kidd or anyone on the Mavs! MBT all the way!!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - F Gump - 07-24-2022

(07-24-2022, 12:28 PM)soog Wrote: I keep trying to figure out what the Mavs would offer and how they would incentivize a S&T with the Cavs to facilitate, but I can’t come up with much.

If the Mavs were a few million under the apron - if the Bertans contract just vanished, for example - then they might be situated nicely to make a sign-and-trade offer for Sexton. That's assuming they want to pay him more than CLE does, and would be willing to compensate the Cavs.

Here's the deal. Powell (expiring filler salary) to CLE for Sexton, at 3 yrs almost 44M, keeps the Cavs below the tax line. For a somewhat bigger number, Powell + Franky (which might put CLE just a sliver over the tax line, probably manageable) can offer up to a total 51.7Mish (starting at about 16.4M). Of course you can do a number a bit lower, too. Franky is adding value to CLE, but I suspect the Mavs would have to add a pick. Those ideas satisfy the Base Year hurdle and other issues, except one big one.

Unfortunately, that can't work with the Mavs being over the apron after the trade. It's a DOA idea unless the Mavs can first erase the contract of Bertans (or THJ) into thin air. Or the equivalent thereof. Where's that big trade for a wing, with incredible value that's going to solve all ills, when you need it?!?!?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-25-2022

Billionaire Mark Cuban Says He Suffered Losses (msn.com)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - cow - 07-25-2022

Down on his 20 million investments in 85 Shark Tank companies is a drop in the bucket.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Chicagojk - 07-25-2022

(07-25-2022, 11:30 AM)cow Wrote: Down on his 20 million investments in 85 Shark Tank companies is a drop in the bucket.

Yep, like most billionaires, they are probably losing money now.  But they typically are the ones who make a killing when things rebound a little.   Plus the Mavs investment has made a  killing.   

Anyone who was willing to give Donnie Nelson a 50 million extension is doing just fine Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Kammrath - 07-25-2022

[Image: FYiAPGSXoAQUIKp?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - DanSchwartzgan - 07-25-2022

(07-25-2022, 02:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: FYiAPGSXoAQUIKp?format=jpg&name=large]

Observations:

Everyone to the left of the 3C line has a teammate who is also left of the 3C line except Luka.  Some have two teammates.  Hard to quantify chicken and egg here, but how much better does having a great teammate make an already good player.  Where were Jrue and AD ranked when they played in NO?  Where was Bam pre Jimmy.  Even Paul wasn’t exactly lighting it up before he got better teammates around him.

How much respect should Luka get for being this good without a great teammate?

Left of 3C is 23 players on 12 teams.  Who would make the list on the other 28 teams.  Gobert? Mitchell?  Trae?  Towns?

What player is good enough to satisfy you when the Mav’s finally get around to doing “THE” trade.  Does it have to be someone left of 3C?  Or, can it be someone to the right of 3C who is brought left by getting to play with Luka?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - michaeltex - 07-25-2022

(07-25-2022, 03:15 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Observations:

Everyone to the left of the 3C line has a teammate who is also left of the 3C line except Luka.  Some have two teammates.  Hard to quantify chicken and egg here, but how much better does having a great teammate make an already good player.  Where Jrue and AD ranked when they played in NO?  Where was Bam pre Jimmy.  Even Paul wasn’t exactly lighting it up before he got better teammates around him.

Left of 3C is 23 players on 12 teams.  Who would make the list on the other 28 teams.  Gobert? Mitchell?  Trae?  Towns?

What player is good enough to satisfy you when the Mav’s finally get around to doing “THE” trade.  Does it have to be someone left of 3C?  Or, can it be someone to the right of 3C who is brought left by getting to play with Luka?

It's obvious that Morant is very underpaid (but that will change after next season) and Westbrook is very overpaid (although Tobias Harris is out there as well).

I don't think you can arbitrarily use a grade as a mark because that assumes you agree with this parsing. I'm not sure Jimmy Butler, Chris Paul or Paul George are "THE" trade targets, even if they are all on a top 12 team. I know it would be a lot noisier, but the question would be better answered if the entire league was listed. I would suggest that we would find "THE" trade by plucking a high performer, looking to play for a ring, from a tanking team more often than from another contending team.

(07-25-2022, 03:15 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What player is good enough to satisfy you when the Mav’s finally get around to doing “THE” trade.  Does it have to be someone left of 3C?  Or, can it be someone to the right of 3C who is brought left by getting to play with Luka?

Here are all the top 3 tier players:

Quote:Tier 1A: Giannis, Durant, Jokic, Curry

Tier 1B: Embiid, Doncic

Tier 1C: Kawhi, Lebron

Tier 2A: Tatum, Butler

Tier 2B: Davis, Morant, Harden, Trae

Tier 2C: Paul, Lillard, Booker, George, Gobert

Tier 3A: Bam, Brown, Jrue, Middleton, Kyrie

Tier 3B: Beal, DeRozan, Mitchell, Draymond, Murray, Siakam, Shai, LaVine

Tier 3C: Edwards, Simmons, McCollum, JJJ, Towns, Klay, LaMelo, Zion

I personally would target Bam, Simmons, and Siakam

Then in Tier 4, I would target OG, Ingram, and JC (and maybe Tobias at the right price).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - mvossman - 07-25-2022

(07-25-2022, 02:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: FYiAPGSXoAQUIKp?format=jpg&name=large]

Those tiers look about right to me.  I feel like Spencer should be 4B, but maybe this is taking into account his early season struggles with the Wiz?  I would argue that Timmy was a 4B his last two healthy years as well.  Where is Wood?  Does this not include the trade?  Surely he is top 125?  I'm curious what Brunson is ranked?  The rankings are behind a paywall, but I would guess Brunson is 4A?

(07-25-2022, 03:15 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Observations:

Everyone to the left of the 3C line has a teammate who is also left of the 3C line except Luka.  Some have two teammates.  Hard to quantify chicken and egg here, but how much better does having a great teammate make an already good player.  Where were Jrue and AD ranked when they played in NO?  Where was Bam pre Jimmy.  Even Paul wasn’t exactly lighting it up before he got better teammates around him.

I think 3C is the line.  It needs to be 3C or better.  The guy that makes the most sense is Siakam.  I assume he is somewhere in in tier 3.  He is on a max contract and not a top 20 player.  I don't think the draft cost would be insurmountable.

(07-25-2022, 04:13 PM)mvossman Wrote: Those tiers look about right to me.  I feel like Spencer should be 4B, but maybe this is taking into account his early season struggles with the Wiz?  I would argue that Timmy was a 4B his last two healthy years as well.  Where is Wood?  Does this not include the trade?  Surely he is top 125?  I'm curious what Brunson is ranked?  The rankings are behind a paywall, but I would guess Brunson is 4A?

Christian Wood was 4B and THJ was 5C in 2021, but both were dropped for some reason.

JB is 4A.

[Image: Screenshot-2022-07-25-4.22.57-PM.png]

[Image: Screenshot-2022-07-25-4.23.09-PM.png]
[Image: Screenshot-2022-07-25-4.23.34-PM.png]

(07-25-2022, 04:20 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Christian Wood was 4B and THJ was 5C in 2021, but both were dropped for some reason.

JB is 4A.

Figured on JB.  I guess the hope is that Wood becomes at least a 4A on a contending team.  5C for THJ meaning not top 125?  That seems really low for him.