MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Kammrath - 07-21-2022

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1550202584316743680

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - MFFL - 07-21-2022

Cato "knew" that Wood would come off the bench but was too sick to report it. Lol

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Chicagojk - 07-22-2022

Cato had Demaris on his podcast yesterday.  Brian thought Dallas would not like to be done with their roster, but they may be done.   Dallas has Powell and Frank as expiring's and they could be used, but Dallas doesn't have a lot of assets.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Chicagojk - 07-22-2022

With all that being said, I give this offseason a D - currently.  I am going off the Mavs report card they gave us prior to FA, so I think that is fair.  

Wood-- Nice low cost gamble
McGee-  fine, I would have preferred a different route, but I am fine with it.   Question is will I be fine with it in year 2 and 3?
Jalen- Big massive miss that hasn't been filled.
3&D wing- Not filled.  They are putting a lot of faith in having both guys healthy.   Bullock has had injury things in the past.  At this stage, I hope THJ gets a lot of wing minutes and a guard is brought in.  While also getting Green minutes.  Tight fit.

Draft- Liked the Hardy gamble.   Not crazy they gave away more future second round picks.  Second round picks are easily gettable though.   Hardy will need time.

Two way- A very small part, but I was hoping to be aggressive with two ways and either buy a late pick or target a top undrafted guy.   Right now, Dallas has no announcements of two way guys.  A lot of guys I liked have been claimed.

future assets-  Not much gathered here.  Hardy being the hope.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-22-2022

https://basketnews.com/news-175522-shaquille-oneal-praises-luka-doncic-for-a-warm-welcome-in-croatia.html

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - ThisIStheYear - 07-23-2022

(07-22-2022, 07:34 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: With all that being said, I give this offseason a D - currently.  I am going off the Mavs report card they gave us prior to FA, so I think that is fair.  

Wood-- Nice low cost gamble
McGee-  fine, I would have preferred a different route, but I am fine with it.   Question is will I be fine with it in year 2 and 3?
Jalen- Big massive miss that hasn't been filled.
3&D wing- Not filled.  They are putting a lot of faith in having both guys healthy.   Bullock has had injury things in the past.  At this stage, I hope THJ gets a lot of wing minutes and a guard is brought in.  While also getting Green minutes.  Tight fit.

Draft- Liked the Hardy gamble.   Not crazy they gave away more future second round picks.  Second round picks are easily gettable though.   Hardy will need time.

Two way- A very small part, but I was hoping to be aggressive with two ways and either buy a late pick or target a top undrafted guy.   Right now, Dallas has no announcements of two way guys.  A lot of guys I liked have been claimed.

future assets-  Not much gathered here.  Hardy being the hope.

When you look at it like this, then the Mavs shit the bed this off-season, especially if Wood isn’t even a starter.  That would only happen because the Mavs want to suppress his value, like they tried with Jalen by keeping him in a reserve role until they had no choice. That will backfire. If Wood isn’t starting, they might as well trade him now (or as soon as legal), because he’ll be switching teams for sure next off-season and be lost for nothing. The Wood move works only if the Mavs go all in on promoting him into an all star.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Mavs2021 - 07-23-2022

(07-23-2022, 08:49 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: When you look at it like this, then the Mavs shit the bed this off-season, especially if Wood isn’t even a starter.  That would only happen because the Mavs want to suppress his value, like they tried with Jalen by keeping him in a reserve role until they had no choice. That will backfire. If Wood isn’t starting, they might as well trade him now (or as soon as legal), because he’ll be switching teams for sure next off-season and be lost for nothing. The Wood move works only if the Mavs go all in on promoting him into an all star.

This would have been a better off-season, if they had done NOTHING after the draft. Just said we play Equal 5 with a 6'8 to 6'10 line-up of

Doncic
Bullock
DFS
Kleber
Wood

...and hope our bench doesn´t get killed with with Dinwiddie/THJ/Green/Bertans/Powell.

That would be a hell of a lot better than giving McGee this garbage contract and allegedly a starting role that will piss off Wood.

I still refuse to believe that it is humanly possible to be that stupid. They cannot give up a 1st round pick to immediately alienate a volatile character like Wood in a contract year. That sounds so f****** dumb, but it also sounded so dumb, when they did it to Noel. 

I´m even going to defend Dwight Powell here. Nobody wanted to trade for him, when you didn´t whore him out publically to the point that our good community soldier doesn´t show up as a cheerleader in SummerLeague anymore. The fact that Powell has seemingly distanced himself from the team means he´s 100% gone and that whatever (negative) value he had in the trade market got even worse. I bet the eventual trade will be another Mavs special.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - loki - 07-23-2022

(07-23-2022, 08:49 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: When you look at it like this, then the Mavs shit the bed this off-season, especially if Wood isn’t even a starter.  That would only happen because the Mavs want to suppress his value, like they tried with Jalen by keeping him in a reserve role until they had no choice. That will backfire. If Wood isn’t starting, they might as well trade him now (or as soon as legal), because he’ll be switching teams for sure next off-season and be lost for nothing. The Wood move works only if the Mavs go all in on promoting him into an all star.

The only silver lining is that they likely have some time to get it right. At the start of last season Bullock didn't have much of a role, but he was indispensable by the end. I expect (hope?) Kidd will end the McGee-starter experiment pretty soon.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - BigDirk41 - 07-23-2022

(07-21-2022, 04:00 PM)MFFL Wrote: Cato "knew" that Wood would come off the bench but was too sick to report it. Lol

F Gump called this and it makes me sick to be honest. Wood won't be here next year. This makes the off season more disappointing to me personally. Might as well trade him. They just want to suppress his value in a contract year. This is the Mavs being the Mavs. You don't make a talented player like Wood earn a starting spot on a team that will most likely be a 4-6 seed. We don't have the culture or trophies to justify a move like this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Jmaciscool - 07-23-2022

(07-23-2022, 08:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: F Gump called this and it makes me sick to be honest. Wood won't be here next year. This makes the off season more disappointing to me personally. Might as well trade him. They just want to suppress his value in a contract year. This is the Mavs being the Mavs. You don't make a talented player like Wood earn a starting spot on a team that will most likely be a 4-6 seed. We don't have the culture or trophies to justify a move like this.

I can definitely see what you're saying, and there a greater than 0 chance you're absolutely right, but I'm not as worried about this personally. I look at it as the Mavs (from Kidd) working to promote a defense first culture, and that seems to be the weakness of Wood (and thus what he needs to work on the most). If Wood responds and improves his defense then great, and if he doesn't then this probably won't be a long stay for him.

I think Wood has the potential to be a great fit here with Luka and I really hope it works out, but objectively spreaking he was traded for the #26 pick (and scrubs) which tells me he probably doesn't have the skins on the wall (yet) to put up much of a stink about not starting and should hopefully use it as motivation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Kammrath - 07-23-2022

RE: Wood not Starting

I do not think this is something to be anxious about. CW's value is not high right now, he needs to demonstrate that he will bring the effort and teamwork and chemistry. As Nico said, the Mavs offer him a GREAT opportunity for playing time, for winning, for stats, and for building his value. And he also offers the Mavs a lot if he brings his "A" game. I like that the Mavs are going to ask him to earn his spot. If he is the kind of guy who will pout over something like that then you do NOT want him on the team moving forward anyway. Team first culture is something the Mavs are going to value above all else with Luka as the superstar. You cannot have anyone else on the team trying to put themselves ahead of the greater good.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - F Gump - 07-23-2022

The idea that Wood is an all-star, except the Mavs are sabotaging him, is incredibly laughable. C'mon guys, is that the best you can do?

When it comes to player development, Kidd has the skins on the wall, with an incredible track record of knowing what it takes to turn coal into diamonds. He did it with both Giannis and Middleton in MIL and set that franchise on its way to the top. Brunson went from "can't use him in the playoffs" to being a key starter and $100M player in just one season under Kidd.

From all accounts, Kidd has incredible insight in helping players see the game, and in how to be better. If he thinks Wood needs some more molding in certain areas before being entrusted with a starting job, or that Wood will be better off if someone else bangs with the bigger centers before he is brought in the game, I bet he's right.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - KillerLeft - 07-23-2022

I think there are valid points being made on both sides of this discussion, but the thing I still don't think people get is that Wood has been a largely unwanted player, so far. 

Coming off of the breakout Detroit season, good offers really weren't there. The deal he had to take in Houston was far below the optimistic predictions of his market value. I've heard multiple people who'd know flat out say Houston has been dangling him for a 1st round pick for over a year now and Dallas is literally the first offer that high they've gotten. In other words, what Dallas just gave up to get him was better than anything else offered during that time. To put this in perspective, Royce O'Neal went for a 1st, and probably only days or weeks after he went on the block. 

Either we're going to notice more warts in his game having the chance to see him every night or the off-court stuff is really a problem. Maybe both. 

This isn't the Porzingis situation wherein he has earned the right to expect basically anything in terms of a role. This is a kid who might find himself playing for the MLE or BAE next season unless he has a good year. I think (hope) he'll knock this opportunity out of the park, but we've gotten the anointing oil out a little too quickly, I think.

Now that we know they aren't planning to start two bigs, the fact that they even added McGee after making this trade should tell us something about their level of confidence in Wood, tbh.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - Kammrath - 07-23-2022

(07-23-2022, 11:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: we've gotten the anointing oil out a little too quickly, I think.

Good post. 

But I get why people have pulled out the anointing oil....I think he is easily the Mavs second most talented player and would STILL be even if JB had signed in DAL, IMO. It is exciting to have someone with all the athleticism and talent and raw tools and in the prime of his career coming to play alongside Luka in a position that should fit so well with Luka. That is freaking exciting. 

I think the CW move has a wider range of outcomes than most moves. It could be a grandslam....it could be a huge strikeout. But just the fact that it COULD be a grandslam is exciting and worthy of some hype IMO.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - KillerLeft - 07-23-2022

(07-23-2022, 11:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think the CW move has a wider range of outcomes than most moves. It could be a grandslam....it could be a huge strikeout.

Agreed.

The problem I have with getting too excited about it is this: It might look like a grand slam until the moment he signs his next contract and then quickly start to resemble a strikeout. 

I'm pulling for him, but I won't be surprised or disappointed if he's not here next year as long as they spin his exit to the team's advantage in some way like they should have done with Brunson.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - cow - 07-23-2022

I can't imagine it being a huge strikeout.  You paid a late first to get rid of dead weight x4 and got someone that has very little chance of falling out of the rotation.  Lord knows what we would have done with that FRP.

(07-23-2022, 11:21 PM)cow Wrote: Lord knows what we would have done with that FRP.

Thanks to Cato and Followil, we know exactly what they would've done with the pick: draft Jaden Hardy. 

From that angle, yeah - probably not a strikeout.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - cow - 07-24-2022

(07-23-2022, 11:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Thanks to Cato and Followil, we know exactly what they would've done with the pick: draft Jaden Hardy. 

From that angle, yeah - probably not a strikeout.

Not that I trust either of those guys inside information, but even if it is true I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse about the Hardy selection.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - KillerLeft - 07-24-2022

(07-24-2022, 12:10 AM)cow Wrote: Not that I trust either of those guys inside information, but even if it is true I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse about the Hardy selection.

Trust it or don't. On one podcast, Followil said he knew Hardy would've been under consideration at #26 at least, and on the next podcast he claimed to have had it confirmed that Hardy would've been the pick on draft night based on who was there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Vegas line: DAL 47.5 wins (7th in West) - cow - 07-24-2022

(07-24-2022, 12:12 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Trust it or don't. On one podcast, Followil said he knew Hardy would've been under consideration at #26 at least, and on the next podcast he claimed to have had it confirmed that Hardy would've been the pick on draft night based on who was there.

I'll stick with don't.  It's rather inconsequential anyway.