MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - cow - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 03:26 PM)mvossman Wrote: It doesn't really matter because I don't see LA making that trade.

You might be right but:

-Lakers don't want Westbrook but don't want to give up future firsts to get rid of him.  That makes Kyrie unlikely.
-Lakers have sniffed around Buddy for a while.  There is no better comp to Buddy than THJ.
-Lakers need shooting and more than just one player.  They could make use of Bertans in this regard.  Yes, he's grossly overpaid but they would get to keep their future firsts while getting what they desire (no Westbrook, shooting).  Bertans contract is they price they'd have to pay to accomplish all of their goals.

I don't think it is that far fetched.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Kammrath - 07-15-2022

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1548046089877524482

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - cow - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 03:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1548046089877524482

Hopefully KG has rabies and bit Josh Green.  Give him that aggression.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - ItsGoTime - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 03:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1548046089877524482
Doesn’t look like he paid any bit of attention to Green. Conversely, looked like Green was paying very little attention as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Tyler - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:04 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The Hoop Collective podcast summed up all my feelings on this summer’s failures from Nico and Cuban. Tim Bontemps nailed it from start to finish. 

1.) The Mavs roster looks like a play-in team. 

IMO, Mavs essentially punted the next 2 seasons, which leaves them with 1 year to turn it around because that 4th year in Luka’s contract will be expiring, and if Mavs do not produce a winner, he’s probably gone. 

So a western conference finals team that lost one contributor in a position of strength but added 2 more in a position of greatest need suddenly looks like a play-in team?

And what would you consider "turning it around" after nuking the Jazz , embarrassing the Suns, and losing to the eventual champions in the conference finals?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Kammrath - 07-15-2022

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1548051024476344320

(07-15-2022, 04:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1548051024476344320

Curious what they say about Hardy but after summer league where he often looked like just about everyone else, he's a long way off from being a contributor.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 04:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1548051024476344320

Rely and Hardy shouldn´t be used in the same sentence. If they are banking on any kind of production from a second round pick they are even more desperate than I thought. I think Tjarks found the right words. It´s a gamble. And a gamble should be the cherry on top. Not a part of the "need to work or we are in trouble" plan.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Mavs2021 - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:04 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The Hoop Collective podcast summed up all my feelings on this summer’s failures from Nico and Cuban. Tim Bontemps nailed it from start to finish. 

1.) The Mavs roster looks like a play-in team. 

2.) They have no young talent on this roster and are stuck cap wise. 

3.) Even if a star wanted to force his way to DAL, they do not have the ammo to obtain said star. 

4.) The unrestricted free agency clock is ticking for Luka. 3 years to get it right before he sees greener grass. 

IMO, Mavs essentially punted the next 2 seasons, which leaves them with 1 year to turn it around because that 4th year in Luka’s contract will be expiring, and if Mavs do not produce a winner, he’s probably gone. 

2024 the Mavs might have cap space (Plan Powder Part L) but past FA failures are not encouraging. Hell, by then it might be too late. Look at Durant wanting out with 4 years left on his contract and Mitchell in trade talks with 3 years left on his. 

Banking on a lot of hope the last 10+ years and that strategy appears to be what Nico/Cuban are pushing towards, again.

They haven´t punted on the next two seasons. This is their version of trying to compete on a budget. If they punted on the next two years, they´d pursue a Westbrook deal, clean as much bad cap as possible immediately, signed some young players and rolled with that. 

There is no long-term plan. The only long-term plan I could see is that Cuban is in big financial trouble, can´t even pay the luxury tax, is now milking the team for max profits the next two years before selling the team to balance his finances and let whoever buys the team deal with the Luka trade request.

Jealously here is off the charts with people shitting on a Knicks off-season that could include signing Brunson and Hartenstein, plus acquiring Mitchell. If we did something similar, people here would be planning the parade, instead we have to listen to people acting like McGee is the catch of the off-season.

Refuse to pay Brunson 25 + Thomas Bryant 2 but would pay Brunson 21 + McGee 6. That´s Mavs salary cap math for you.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Tyler - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 04:19 PM)cow Wrote: Curious what they say about Hardy but after summer league where he often looked like just about everyone else, he's a long way off from being a contributor.

It reminds me of Brunson after his first summer league. He was awful, and everyone was wringing their hands over Dallas not drafting Mitchell Robinson. That worked out fine, and there's more to producing in the NBA than stuffing a stat sheet in the summer league.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Mavs2021 - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 04:24 PM)Tyler Wrote: It reminds me of Brunson after his first summer league. He was awful, and everyone was wringing their hands over Dallas not drafting Mitchell Robinson. That worked out fine, and there's more to producing in the NBA than stuffing a stat sheet in the summer league.

Yeah worked out brilliantly. Now they both on the Knicks.

(07-15-2022, 04:24 PM)Tyler Wrote: It reminds me of Brunson after his first summer league. He was awful, and everyone was wringing their hands over Dallas not drafting Mitchell Robinson. That worked out fine, and there's more to producing in the NBA than stuffing a stat sheet in the summer league.

It's the missed open looks that bother me and what he'd be contributing on the next level.  The plus side is that he looks comfortable with the ball and isn't afraid to shoot it like some people. *coughjoshcough*

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - DallasMaverick - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 04:26 PM)cow Wrote: It's the missed open looks that bother me and what he'd be contributing on the next level.  The plus side is that he looks comfortable with the ball and isn't afraid to shoot it like some people. *coughjoshcough*

I seem to remember DFS being a very reluctant shooter early in his career.  

Maybe it's easier for a reluctant shooter to learn to be aggressive, than for a shot-hunter to cool his jets and play within the flow.

(07-15-2022, 05:13 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I seem to remember DFS being a very reluctant shooter early in his career.  

Maybe it's easier for a reluctant shooter to learn to be aggressive, than for a shot-hunter to cool his jets and play within the flow.

Rick told DFS not to shoot early on unless he was wide open.  He's carried that reluctance forward as he's become a knockdown shooter, unfortunately.  He mentions in it just about every post game interview he's involved in that Luka and his teammates have to remind him to shoot.  More aggression with his shot and off the dribble is what I want to see from DFS next.

I like Hardy's confidence, form and handle.  I hope he can earn playing time but I'm pretty weary of him getting that out of the gate.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - SleepingHero - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 03:57 PM)Tyler Wrote: So a western conference finals team that lost one contributor in a position of strength but added 2 more in a position of greatest need suddenly looks like a play-in team?

And what would you consider "turning it around" after nuking the Jazz , embarrassing the Suns, and losing to the eventual champions in the conference finals?

Don't try to fight emotions with logic. 

People are mad and are trying to burn the house down. I'm glad you're trying to fight the good fight though!

(07-15-2022, 06:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Don't try to fight emotions with logic. 

People are mad and are trying to burn the house down. I'm glad you're trying to fight the good fight though!

I don't think anyone is trying to burn the house down  I've asked myself the biggest difference in our playoff success from 1st round exits to western conference finalists.  The biggest difference makers in my mind would be JB and Bullock.  So I get why losing JB for nothing gets people in panic mode.  The Wood addition is interesting.  I'm not sure if we are going to be better or worse but I don't think it will be drastic in either direction.  We are just going to be a very different team.  That's exciting in its' own right.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Scott41theMavs - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 06:40 PM)cow Wrote: I don't think anyone is trying to burn the house down  I've asked myself the biggest difference in our playoff success from 1st round exits to western conference finalists.  The biggest difference makers in my mind would be JB and Bullock.  So I get why losing JB for nothing gets people in panic mode.  The Wood addition is interesting.  I'm not sure if we are going to be better or worse but I don't think it will be drastic in either direction.  We are just going to be a very different team.  That's exciting in its' own right.

I think the only valid "play-in team" argument is the improvement of the other Western Conference teams. I think that's overblown, and that with health, this *should* still be a top five team in the West. However, we will return to being first round outs if JB's ballhandling isn't replaced. Go get Conley, or whoever.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - hakeemfaan - 07-15-2022

The problem is with one stud you can legit go back to being a play in team the next season around.  Clippers and Wolves might be better. Lakers might be better.  Even if not play in it is not going to be a shocker if the Mavs lose in the first round. 

Having two studs is what gives teams a legit base.  We didn’t lose a stud but we lost our 2nd best playoff performer from last season. Can THJ and Wood compensate?  We don’t know at this point.  Maybe we can.  However what would have been really great is to take the core of that team that went to the WCF last season and have added Wood and THJ.  That would have been a scary good team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - radix - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 04:23 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: They haven´t punted on the next two seasons. This is their version of trying to compete on a budget. If they punted on the next two years, they´d pursue a Westbrook deal, clean as much bad cap as possible immediately, signed some young players and rolled with that. 

There is no long-term plan. The only long-term plan I could see is that Cuban is in big financial trouble, can´t even pay the luxury tax, is now milking the team for max profits the next two years before selling the team to balance his finances and let whoever buys the team deal with the Luka trade request.

Jealously here is off the charts with people shitting on a Knicks off-season that could include signing Brunson and Hartenstein, plus acquiring Mitchell. If we did something similar, people here would be planning the parade, instead we have to listen to people acting like McGee is the catch of the off-season.

Refuse to pay Brunson 25 + Thomas Bryant 2 but would pay Brunson 21 + McGee 6. That´s Mavs salary cap math for you.

Bro, do you math?

Cuban is worth 8 billion dollars. He has no financial problems. None.

He is just stingy, conceited and a man child. But financial problems? LOLOLOLOL

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 07:21 PM)radix Wrote:
Bro, do you math?

Cuban is worth 8 billion dollars. He has no financial problems. None.

He is just stingy, conceited and a man child. But financial problems? LOLOLOLOL

4.7 billion according to forbes
5.7 billion according to bloomberg

With recent reports mentioning that he lost 300-500m this year.
Compared to 99.99999999999% of people he has no financial problems. But we are comparing him to other billionaires.