MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - hakeemfaan - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 01:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is in line with my thinking, for sure. 

I'd add that making Dirk the face of the franchise took several years. It was 3-5 years in before they even decided what position he should play and started building around him. 

I LOVE Dirk, and I agree Luka has a ways to go to match his legendary impact on the franchise, but I'd put Luka's first 3-4 years FAR, FAR ahead of Dirk's by comparison.

Not sure what Kamm is pointing to as far as metrics. Luka was an Euroleague MVP. Dirk came from some 3rd division team to the NBA. Of course there is no comparison of the initial years. 

The thing with Dirk though was that he knew his weaknesses and worked hard. Even those first two years.  He never came out of shape. He worked hard on his defense. He didn’t take bad shots. That’s not just when Fin and Nash were here. Later on when he has worse teams, he still played within the construct of a team offense. 

Yes they are different players and it’s not fair to expect Luka to play like Dirk. However what I would like to see is him take a bit more professional approach with some of his glaring flaws. Coming out of shape not once but twice. Still not really caring about defense or trying to cut down on the amount of bad shots. Be open to play a bit more off the ball. Stop complaining after every missed shot and get back on defense 

The attitude to keep working on his flaws does distinguish Dirk from Luka even in the early years.  The overall professionalism also.  As a Mavs fan I am rooting for Luka. However quite a few issues currently are not just due to a lack of better players around him.  He has to keep grinding regardless of what mgmt is doing or not doing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - KillerLeft - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 01:31 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Not sure what Kamm is pointing to as far as metrics. Luka was an Euroleague MVP. Dirk came from some 3rd division team to the NBA. Of course there is no comparison of the initial years. 

The thing with Dirk though was that he knew his weaknesses and worked hard. Even those first two years.  He never came out of shape. He worked hard on his defense. He didn’t take bad shots. That’s not just when Fin and Nash were here. Later on when he has worse teams, he still played within the construct of a team offense. 

Yes they are different players and it’s not fair to expect Luka to play like Dirk. However what I would like to see is him take a bit more professional approach with some of his glaring flaws. Coming out of shape not once but twice. Still not really caring about defense or trying to cut down on the amount of bad shots. Be open to play a bit more off the ball. Stop complaining after every missed shot and get back on defense 

The attitude to keep working on his flaws does distinguish Dirk from Luka even in the early years.  The overall professionalism also.  As a Mavs fan I am rooting for Luka. However quite a few issues currently are not just due to a lack of better players around him.  He has to keep grinding regardless of what mgmt is doing or not doing.

I don't disagree with any of this. 

My point is simply that Luka transformed a bottom feeder into a playoff team single-handedly, basically in one year. You could immediately see the impact he was having/would have. Dirk didn't/couldn't have done that. 

I don't think for a second that Luka getting from here to the level of impact Dirk ultimately had on the franchise and city will be easy, or is even guaranteed. I might put the odds against it, actually, for all the reasons you point out.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Scott41theMavs - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 01:31 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Not sure what Kamm is pointing to as far as metrics. Luka was an Euroleague MVP. Dirk came from some 3rd division team to the NBA. Of course there is no comparison of the initial years. 

While character is an ephemeral thing, what I took away from your post is that Luka needs Holger.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - michaeltex - 07-15-2022

Dirk vs Luka is a bit of apples vs oranges. Different positions, different expectations. Luka is an offensive initiator and penetrator. Dirk was a low post threat and killer mid-range scorer.

The main connection is that they both exert a huge offensive gravity that makes the other 4 guys' jobs easier.

Dirk did indeed work on improving his craft after coming to DAL. I credit the fact that he found a kindred "gym rat" soul in Nash and they learned from each other and helped each other improve.

Luka has been so busy since getting drafted, I hope he can get some rest in July. August will be training for the September games then it will be time for NBA preseason.

FWIW, I think hiring JK, a HOF point guard, is a master stroke. He intimately understands Luka's position and how to succeed as a larger player. So whatever he's trying to teach has credibility based on experience.

(07-15-2022, 01:56 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: While character is an ephemeral thing, what I took away from your post is that Luka needs Holger.
Dirk certainly seemed to go into Holger's lab and come out with something new most years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Kammrath - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 01:09 PM)mvossman Wrote: What is this based on?  To start with, Luka was 22 most of last season.  Second, Dirk didn't get to the WCF until his 5th season (24 years old) with a much better supporting cast (Finley and Nash).  Third, the best advanced metrics that go back that far say Luka was more impactful to winning.

It is based on two things: 

1) My personal eye test of having watched virtually all the minutes of both players. Luka is the far better individual player at the same age, but Dirk was the far better IMO of fitting into the team reality and helping elevate the whole of the team play. Luka has transcendent moments where he absolutely lifts the play of the whole team in incredible ways, but he has a lot of moments where he is a big detriment defensively, in effort, and in selfishness. Dirk is one of the GOATs in elevating the play of those around him. When Dirk got on the court his teams almost always became a totally different monster that were really, really hard to beat. The Mavs almost always lost games when Dirk was sitting. 

2) On/Off +/-
  • Luka's four seasons (before starting a season aged 23): -3.7, +1.2, +3.0, +0.2
  • Dirk's three seasons (before starting a season aged 23): +2.6, +5.9, +17.7

Also, I don't know what "best advanced metrics" you are referring to. I do not think there were any trustworthy advanced metrics in 99, 00, and 01.  

One more note: Luka has been better as a playoff performer than Dirk was at the same age.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Fuerza1 - 07-15-2022

The Hoop Collective podcast summed up all my feelings on this summer’s failures from Nico and Cuban. Tim Bontemps nailed it from start to finish. 

1.) The Mavs roster looks like a play-in team. 

2.) They have no young talent on this roster and are stuck cap wise. 

3.) Even if a star wanted to force his way to DAL, they do not have the ammo to obtain said star. 

4.) The unrestricted free agency clock is ticking for Luka. 3 years to get it right before he sees greener grass. 

IMO, Mavs essentially punted the next 2 seasons, which leaves them with 1 year to turn it around because that 4th year in Luka’s contract will be expiring, and if Mavs do not produce a winner, he’s probably gone. 

2024 the Mavs might have cap space (Plan Powder Part L) but past FA failures are not encouraging. Hell, by then it might be too late. Look at Durant wanting out with 4 years left on his contract and Mitchell in trade talks with 3 years left on his. 

Banking on a lot of hope the last 10+ years and that strategy appears to be what Nico/Cuban are pushing towards, again.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Scott41theMavs - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:04 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The Hoop Collective podcast summed up all my feelings on this summer’s failures from Nico and Cuban. Tim Bontemps nailed it from start to finish. 

3.) Even if a star wanted to force his way to DAL, they do not have the ammo to obtain said star. 

4.) The unrestricted free agency clock is ticking for Luka. 3 years to get it right before he sees greener grass. 

IMO, Mavs essentially punted the next 2 seasons, which leaves them with 1 year to turn it around because that 4th year in Luka’s contract will be expiring, and if Mavs do not produce a winner, he’s probably gone. 

2024 the Mavs might have cap space (Plan Powder Part L) but past FA failures are not encouraging. Hell, by then it might be too late. Look at Durant wanting out with 4 years left on his contract and Mitchell in trade talks with 3 years left on his. 

Banking on a lot of hope the last 10+ years and that strategy appears to be what Nico/Cuban are pushing towards, again.

Downer post of the day... The truth hurts.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Chicagojk - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:04 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The Hoop Collective podcast summed up all my feelings on this summer’s failures from Nico and Cuban. Tim Bontemps nailed it from start to finish. 

One of the reasons I like the Hardy gamble is that in two years he could either be valuable to us on the court or have some value in a trade.   Maybe he busts out.   But the Mavs have very few players that other teams can talk themselves into.   

It is maybe one of the drawbacks to the McGee signing.  In two years, no one is going to be excited to get McGee in a trade.    Maybe he helps on the court, but as we sit here now we are not a true contender.   I don't dislike the McGee signing but we could be looking back in two years saying we wished we would have made a calculated gamble on upside.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Jommybone - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It is based on two things: 

1) My personal eye test of having watched virtually all the minutes of both players. Luka is the far better individual player at the same age, but Dirk was the far better IMO of fitting into the team reality and helping elevate the whole of the team play. Luka has transcendent moments where he absolutely lifts the play of the whole team in incredible ways, but he has a lot of moments where he is a big detriment defensively, in effort, and in selfishness. Dirk is one of the GOATs in elevating the play of those around him. When Dirk got on the court his teams almost always became a totally different monster that were really, really hard to beat. The Mavs almost always lost games when Dirk was sitting. 

2) On/Off +/-
  • Luka's four seasons (before starting a season aged 23): -3.7, +1.2, +3.0, +0.2

Also, I don't know what "best advanced metrics" you are referring to. I do not think there were any trustworthy advanced metrics in 99, 00, and 01.  

One more note: Luka has been better as a playoff performer than Dirk was at the same age.

Dude, just look at playoff production. Dirk was great, but come on. It isn’t close.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - mvossman - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It is based on two things: 

2) On/Off +/-

From what I have read, the accepted best advanced box score stat out there is BPM.  That is based on industry opinion as well as empirical testing.  Based on that, Dirk took a huge leap in his third year to 5.4.  That was his first year in the playoffs and he played even better in the playoffs at 6.3.  Luka was 8.2 this last season and an even better 9.3 in the playoffs.

On/off has so much noise in it its tough to get a lot out of it without more context.  Just looking at those numbers in a vacuum, it suggests Luka is a slightly better than average NBA player.  We know that to be wildly inaccurate.  So how am I supposed to interpret that on/off?  What does it really mean?

I don't claim to have watched as much Mavericks as you have, but my eye test was that it took a while for Dirk to have a transcendent impact.  It felt to me like it took him several years to get to that point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - KillerLeft - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:28 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't claim to have watched as much Mavericks as you have, but my eye test was that it took a while for Dirk to have a transcendent impact.  It felt to me like it took him several years to get to that point.

Absolutely, it did. 

But, I suppose it's fair of @"michaeltex" to point out the innate differences between the two, with Luka having the ball.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - mvossman - 07-15-2022

This is assuming the Mavs are going the cap route.  Like you, I am highly skeptical we will have success that way, and it will involve gutting the team in the process.  I still think the correct route is trade.  After the next draft, we will have access to all of our future picks.  We don't have to pull the trigger right away, but that is our best shot at getting a number 2 and being a legit contender.

(07-15-2022, 02:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: This is assuming the Mavs are going the cap route.  Like you, I am highly skeptical we will have success that way, and it will involve gutting the team in the process.  I still think the correct route is trade.  After the next draft, we will have access to all of our future picks.  We don't have to pull the trigger right away, but that is our best shot at getting a number 2 and being a legit contender.

The issue with the trade route is that we don't (and won't, for the next two years) have any substantial assets aside from the first rounders, which will presumably be low (until Luka leaves, of course...).

(07-15-2022, 01:30 PM)cow Wrote: The Gobert trade moved the goalposts and it is what GMs will be looking for and referencing in future negotiations.  My opinion of course.

I don't think it will play out like this.  I think GMs know there are Ainge trades and everybody else trades.  Plus, if Minny struggles at all with Gobert there might even be a backlash on such a crazy haul and they pendulum might start swinging the other way.  Only time will tell.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - cow - 07-15-2022

It's why I've been warming up to the idea of a reset that would only punt this season.  Powell + THJ + Bertans for Westbrook.  You'd have cap space next summer and all of your first round picks once the draft is concluded.  It's definitely a step backwards this season as I don't think Westbrook would want to come off the bench and even if he does, he'd more than likely be a negative.  You'd sacrifice some shooting but maybe with the extra roster spots you could kick the tires on someone like Quinn Cook and then get another scrap heap ball hander/creator.

(07-15-2022, 02:39 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think it will play out like this.  I think GMs know there are Ainge trades and everybody else trades.  Plus, if Minny struggles at all with Gobert there might even be a backlash on such a crazy haul and they pendulum might start swinging the other way.  Only time will tell.

I hope your right but at the very least, the cost of acquisition has gone up.  You also have teams like OKC that have stockpiled picks that can afford to overy pay.

(07-15-2022, 02:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The issue with the trade route is that we don't (and won't, for the next two years) have any substantial assets aside from the first rounders, which will presumably be low (until Luka leaves, of course...).

The same could be said for the Bucks when trading for Jrue (only gave up salary filler) or even Atlanta (again salary filler) who will be much better with Murray.  It helps a lot that we are not trying to trade for a super star.  Just an offensive number 2 that is a high level defender.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Fuerza1 - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 02:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: This is assuming the Mavs are going the cap route.  Like you, I am highly skeptical we will have success that way, and it will involve gutting the team in the process.  I still think the correct route is trade.  After the next draft, we will have access to all of our future picks.  We don't have to pull the trigger right away, but that is our best shot at getting a number 2 and being a legit contender.

The second "star" talk has been going on for over a decade. It's become an imaginary friend in Cuban's 'beautiful' mind.

There are several issues with the trade route too. 

1.) The roster can still get gutted.

2.) The Mavs may not have the highest offer if a "star" were to become available. Little to no assets. 

3.) Trading a bunch of future 1st's sounds nice but you are not getting a needle moving star for just that package. 

- At best, maybe a Jrue Holiday or DeJounte Murray level guy BUT who out here fits that bill? Even if you can land someone of that caliber, I don't see it turning them into championship contenders. Bucks already had Middleton and Hawks remain to be seen but at least they have Collins too.

(07-15-2022, 02:47 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The second "star" talk has been going on for over a decade. It's become an imaginary friend in Cuban's 'beautiful' mind.

There are several issues with the trade route too. 

1.) The roster can still get gutted.

2.) The Mavs may not have the highest offer if a "star" were to become available. Little to no assets. 

3.) Trading a bunch of future 1st's sounds nice but you are not getting a needle moving star for just that package. 

- At best, maybe a Jrue Holiday or DeJounte Murray level guy BUT who out here fits that bill? Even if you can land someone of that caliber, I don't see it turning them into championship contenders. Bucks already had Middleton and Hawks remain to be seen but at least they have Collins too.

Who knows what option there will be out there.  Maybe Toronto is ready to rebuild and move on from Siakam.  Given the size of that contract we should have the resources (after the draft) to get him if we wanted to.  Things change a lot in a season or two.

(07-15-2022, 03:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: Who knows what option there will be out there.  Maybe Toronto is ready to rebuild and move on from Siakam.

Interesting you bring Siakam up...of the potential '24 free agents, he's probably the only name that pops for me. The best of the rest are already on the Mavs' roster, believe it or not.

(07-15-2022, 02:43 PM)cow Wrote: It's why I've been warming up to the idea of a reset that would only punt this season.  Powell + THJ + Bertans for Westbrook.  You'd have cap space next summer and all of your first round picks once the draft is concluded.  It's definitely a step backwards this season as I don't think Westbrook would want to come off the bench and even if he does, he'd more than likely be a negative.  You'd sacrifice some shooting but maybe with the extra roster spots you could kick the tires on someone like Quinn Cook and then get another scrap heap ball hander/creator.

I'm not a fan of going the cap space route, but there is a small part of me that would be interested in this.  It would clean up the books, and I wonder if Westbrook could be a useful rotational piece if he were willing to come off the bench and run the second unit?  

It doesn't really matter because I don't see LA making that trade.