MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 12:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure how true this is, but Cato seemed to imply the prize for Dallas in any NY sign and trade would've been Cam Thomas, but that Dallas didn't see that as worth the trouble. They wanted their pick back, apparently, but NY wouldn't go for it.

Doesn't Cam Thomas play for Brooklyn?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - KillerLeft - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 12:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Doesn't Cam Thomas play for Brooklyn?

Sorry, I meant Cam Reddish.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - cow - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 12:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sorry, I meant Cam Reddish.

I wish we were talking about Cam Johnson.  I'm glad we aren't talking about Cam Payne.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-15-2022

I missed that one.  Podcast or The Athletic?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - KillerLeft - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 12:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I missed that one.  Podcast or The Athletic?

It was the Podcast that you guys were pointing out the other day, the 77 minutes after the covid hiatus. And, I had a tough time telling the voices apart, so it might have been the other guy who brought it up. They didn't really explicitly say much about Reddish, just kind of speculation that he might've been the piece that would've made sense, but they weren't even sure Dallas would've been interested.

I don't think it was "reporting," I just thought it was interesting because we never even brought him up around here.

(07-15-2022, 12:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It was the Podcast that you guys were pointing out the other day, the 77 minutes after the covid hiatus. And, I had a tough time telling the voices apart, so it might have been the other guy who brought it up. They didn't really explicitly say much about Reddish, just kind of speculation that he might've been the piece that would've made sense.

I did a long thread 'below the line' that actually has Reddish to the Mav's though between five teams, cap space and TPE's there are so many iterations it could be done a dozen different ways.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 10:06 AM)Kammrath Wrote: MacMahon suggests that RC was the big factor of why the Mavs never succeeded on the free agency front for the decade after the title. He flat out says that stars did NOT want to play with him. He says JK is much different and guys want to play with him.

Sounds like passing the buck to me. Somebody has to take the blame. It wasn't all on RC either.

(07-15-2022, 12:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I did a long thread 'below the line'

In an effort to completely control the narrative around here and unnecessarily censor people's thoughts and feelings (our primary goal), I had to sign a contract agreeing to never read anything 'below the line' or do anything against the wishes of Inspector General @"Kammrath". If I hadn't signed, I wouldn't get my weekly check from L Ron Cuban. 

[Image: IMG_3053-ANIMATION_large.gif?v=1522242950]

(07-15-2022, 12:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: In an effort to completely control the narrative around here and unnecessarily censor people's thoughts and feelings (our primary goal), I had to sign a contract agreeing to never read anything 'below the line' or do anything against the wishes of Inspector General @"Kammrath". If I hadn't signed, I wouldn't get my weekly check from L Ron Cuban. 

I'll double your pay if you stop posting that weird-ass GIF.

(07-15-2022, 12:41 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'll double your pay if you stop posting that weird-ass GIF.

Done!

[Image: smiling-rubio.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - cow - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 12:31 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Sounds like passing the buck to me. Somebody has to take the blame. It wasn't all on RC either.

I think he shares blame.  There is enough evidence to easily see that Cuban, Carlisle and Nelson were far from being in lockstep.

-Rondo trade
-Giannis Draft
-Bob V strife 
-DSJ fallout

Rick's a great coach but Rick also loved inviting players to his doghouse.  Nelson was out of touch outside of the international scene.   Mark Cuban isn't smart enough to know what he doesn't know.

Change was certainly needed.  The league and mindset of players has largely changed.  Nico, or anyone with zero experience, is a terrifying hire when you have a generational talent on your team and a massive hole to dig out from in terms of other talent and assets.  Kidd is a little risky in that regard too but his young players loved him.  The gamble was that both Nico and Kidd were relationship guys.  To date, that's provided no dividends.  It's still early but it's a little scary.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - hakeemfaan - 07-15-2022

Cuban got a generational talent in Dirk and then gave him a HC in Avery who was overmatched at times.  We got lucky that Kidd so far looks good (nothing special in his previous stops).  Then we got a GM whose best asset was working with established stars. Nothing in his resume about scouting for gems to lock them up.  So it looks like Cuban hired him mainly to recruit a star to a team that doesn’t have many assets to trade if such a superstar were to become available.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - Mavs2021 - 07-15-2022

Quentin Grimes was the real prize. I think they could have gotten him at the trade deadline at least. Out of all the PG/SGs on both teams, from this moment forward, I predict only Luka/Brunson will have a better NBA career. I think he´ll surpass whatever Burks, Rose, Quickley, Dinwiddie, THJ, Reddish will do for the rest of their careers. Barrett is a SF.

SL dominance was jus the natural progression of his strong rookie season. He´ll become the two-way off-ball guard the Mavs were looking for.

(07-15-2022, 01:04 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Quentin Grimes was the real prize

Interesting. I'm not overly familiar with him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - mvossman - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 11:20 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Dirk's impact on team winning was FAR better at 23 than Luka's has been. And to me that is the most important metric. I absolutely agree that Luka has a FAR higher ceiling than Dirk. But Dirk was the better TEAM player at this juncture. Once it "clicks" for Luka he has the chance to blitz and sprint past Dirk.

What is this based on?  To start with, Luka was 22 most of last season.  Second, Dirk didn't get to the WCF until his 5th season (24 years old) with a much better supporting cast (Finley and Nash).  Third, the best advanced metrics that go back that far say Luka was more impactful to winning.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - MaxiThreeba - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 01:04 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Quentin Grimes was the real prize. I think they could have gotten him at the trade deadline at least. Out of all the PG/SGs on both teams, from this moment forward, I predict only Luka/Brunson will have a better NBA career. I think he´ll surpass whatever Burks, Rose, Quickley, Dinwiddie, THJ, Reddish will do for the rest of their careers. Barrett is a SF.

SL dominance was jus the natural progression of his strong rookie season. He´ll become the two-way off-ball guard the Mavs were looking for.

I get wanting your pick back.  It unlocks a lot of options on the trade market.  

If that was off the table and they passed up a chance to grab Grimes or even Reddish in a SnT that just doesn’t make any sense.  

Even the salary slot is useful in trades.  Cuban’s wallet (including his crypto wallet) has been at the center of every decision since the infamous Plan Powder.  The next 24 months will determine whether the Mavs are a ten year contender with Luka or a trade request followed by years of really bad basketball.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 12:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: In an effort to completely control the narrative around here and unnecessarily censor people's thoughts and feelings (our primary goal), I had to sign a contract agreeing to never read anything 'below the line' or do anything against the wishes of Inspector General @Kammrath. If I hadn't signed, I wouldn't get my weekly check from L Ron Cuban. 

Over the top denial. Trying to turn it into a joke. Suspicious...

Getting to the real stuff...@"KillerLeft" is a demon. Mark Cuban isn´t real. He was replaced with a lookalike. The mods are controlling the Mavs. Trying to turn them into a religious cult. Harrison Barnes realized what was going on and tried to stop them. He nearly exposed their crimes but he was betrayed by Dwight Powell and traded before he could secure the evidence. Dwight Powell was rewarded with a lifetime contract.

And obviously. Just to make sure that no one forgets it...birds aren´t real.

(07-15-2022, 01:09 PM)mvossman Wrote: What is this based on?  To start with, Luka was 22 most of last season.  Second, Dirk didn't get to the WCF until his 5th season (24 years old) with a much better supporting cast (Finley and Nash).  Third, the best advanced metrics that go back that far say Luka was more impactful to winning.

This is in line with my thinking, for sure. 

I'd add that making Dirk the face of the franchise took several years. It was 3-5 years in before they even decided what position he should play and started building around him. 

I LOVE Dirk, and I agree Luka has a ways to go to match his legendary impact on the franchise, but I'd put Luka's first 3-4 years FAR, FAR ahead of Dirk's by comparison.

(07-15-2022, 01:10 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Even the salary slot is useful in trades.

One of the reasons I, personally, would've gone up to Brunson's MAX to keep him here, if necessary/possible. 

Cato seemed to think it was, but in full transparency, thought not going north of a certain point was the right choice for the franchise. 

But IDK, in world where even Sarver is willing to spend, I have a hard time with the role money seems to be playing in the Mavs' roster building.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Lawson Deal incoming? - mvossman - 07-15-2022

(07-15-2022, 12:16 PM)cow Wrote: It's not a knock on Luka but threading the needle on a one way superstar like Luka is going to be challenging for any organization.  Curry has been bolstered by defensive stalwarts like Draymond or amazing two way players like Thompson.  And while the Mavs did this with Dirk, the free agency and trade market game has changed and we certainly haven't kept pace.  

I do think Donnie and Rick had a lot of blame in that regard but so far Nico and Kidd haven't faired any better and maybe worse.  Not getting conversations with big named free agents was a trend in recent history.  We couldn't even get a conversation with Jalen Brunson.  

And while we have hope for the Christian Wood pairing, no matter how well it works out this could be a very short term relationship.  In my head, even if Wood and Luka play well together, the Mavericks really aren't any better than last year, at least not more than marginally.  

I don't think Luka is going to ask out of Dallas anytime soon but we do need to start moving in the right direction.  We accomplished that last year but Jalen walked for nothing.  We can't keep spinning our tires.  The good news is that we will own all of our FRPs after next years draft and the Dwight Powell era will be over.  The bad news is that we still have Bertans terrible contract and Utah is asking for 6 picks for a player of Mitchell's caliber.  We'll never be able to afford that as we don't have a way of generating first round picks.  I'm just not seeing the path to getting off this treadmill.  KP was such a terrible decision by the previous MBT.

I agree with most of this, but I think you are focusing a little too much on a Danny Ainge offer that was not even accepted.  The Jrue and Murray trades are the standard for what we want to do in the next two off seasons to be a contender.  Ideally we could have gotten there organically or at least built up some assets so we would not have to mortgage our entire future to make the trade, but due to this organizations constant failures that is where we are at.

(07-15-2022, 01:27 PM)mvossman Wrote: I agree with most of this, but I think you are focusing a little too much on a Danny Ainge offer that was not even accepted.  The Jrue and Murray trades are the standard for what we want to do in the next two off seasons to be a contender.  Ideally we could have gotten there organically or at least built up some assets so we would not have to mortgage our entire future to make the trade, but due to this organizations constant failures that is where we are at.

The Gobert trade moved the goalposts and it is what GMs will be looking for and referencing in future negotiations.  My opinion of course.