MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - mvossman - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:48 PM)F Gump Wrote: Don't sweat the small stuff, bro. Powell has been 100% replaced (unless they need an emergency fill-in). They have no real need (or place) to play him with McGee here. But he doesn't have to go just to go -- he's now an $11M expiring filler for a trade, if they find one, and makes more sense to keep just in case.

I will believe Powell is on the team and never plays when I see it.  Although a Powell/Wood frontcourt would be monumentally stupid, I would still feel better if they sent Powell out for our bench point guard.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-12-2022

When we talk about needing a third ball handler, a name I’m surprised hasn’t come up yet is Eric Bledsoe as a reclamation project. Not sure what kind of relationship he had with Kidd in Milwaukee but given that he’s always been a defense first guy, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if we gave him a shot here on the cheap. 

I also know that it seems the general though is that we can use Powell/Green(/Hardaway?) to go fill out our wing rotation but given that we at least have a body or two on the roster to try to step into that role in Frank and THJ (depending on how you view his role), I wouldn’t be surprised still if we use our few trade assets to go find that third playmaker instead of a wing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

I would think we'd want someone with more of an offense punch than Bledsoe.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Kammrath - 07-13-2022

https://twitter.com/MatejSportinfo/status/1547183933728722944

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Kammrath - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 07:27 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MatejSportinfo/status/1547183933728722944

So according to this translation, The Mavs didn't imagine ANY everyday role for Dragic (I was thinking maybe they thought only 10-15 mins for him, but it sounds like none).

Either they are ready to have JG/FN/JH play backup PG minutes OR they have something else planned.

Like I have been saying....

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1547180488489680896

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Smitty - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 07:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Like I have been saying....

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1547180488489680896

What happened?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Chicagojk - 07-13-2022

I would recommend listening to Tim Cato’s 77 minute podcast from yesterday.

Discussed lineups, some Hardaway speculation (not reporting), some Hardy and some other stuff.

Thought it was good

(07-13-2022, 07:46 AM)Smitty Wrote: What happened?

1) The Mavs have a somewhat obvious hole at backup PG. 

2) Luka implied the Mavs were not done with their offseason changes in a recent interview.

3) Dragic said the Mavs envisioned him in a bench/non-playing role most games and wouldn't promise him minutes at all. 

4) Guys like Skin Wade have been saying the Mavs have been preparing for a big trade after the KD dust settles.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Smitty - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 07:49 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) The Mavs have a somewhat obvious hole at backup PG. 

2) Luka implied the Mavs were not done with their offseason changes in a recent interview.

3) Dragic said the Mavs envisioned him in a bench/non-playing role most games and wouldn't promise him minutes at all. 

4) Guys like Skin Wade have been saying the Mavs have been preparing for a big trade after the KD dust settles.

#3 is certainly an indicator of something... Hope the implication isn't just Frank and/or Hardy getting that role. I'll get my hopes up a little and join your optimism that something is lined up... But only dipping a toe in the water this time.

(07-13-2022, 07:54 AM)Smitty Wrote: #3 is certainly an indicator of something... Hope the implication isn't just Frank and/or Hardy getting that role. I'll get my hopes up a little and join your optimism that something is lined up... But only dipping a toe in the water this time.

Yeah, it IS possible that JG/FN/JH are lined up for those minutes....but that doesn't seem logical or intuitive to me. 

What makes the most sense to me is the Mavs ready to pull the trigger on a trade or two once the trade world restarts. 

We will see. 

But you should come join me in "Camp Possible" and "Camp Optimism" and "Camp Hope"....it is far more pleasant over here.... Smile 

[Image: tumblr_o18916bHNY1sl21koo1_500.gifv]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - mvossman - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 07:27 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MatejSportinfo/status/1547183933728722944

Mavs gonna Mavs.  We spend over vet min on guys like Burke, Brown and Boban, but when they finally get a legit option to sign a playoff contributor to the vet min, they pass because they have some pie in the sky move that likely wont pan out.  In some ways this failure bothers me even more than the Brunson failure, because it was such low hanging fruit.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Chicagojk - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 09:34 AM)mvossman Wrote: Mavs gonna Mavs.  We spend over vet min on guys like Burke, Brown and Boban, but when they finally get a legit option to sign a playoff contributor to the vet min, they pass because they have some pie in the sky move that likely wont pan out.  In some ways this failure bothers me even more than the Brunson failure, because it was such low hanging fruit.

Yeah we will see.  I am having trouble being positive right now.

If they find a better fit than Dragic while not throwing away assets we can revisit.  But if we scramble again, an gamble on a guy like DSJ than I think it is fair to really question this front office.

In addition, as I mentioned earlier if their plan is to keep an open spot when the season starts, you can't tell me a third creator is not more important than a off the court hype guy in Pinson.  You can't prioritize that over another creator.

But lets wait to see if they have any plans before the season starts.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 07:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would recommend listening to Tim Cato’s 77 minute podcast from yesterday.

Discussed lineups, some Hardaway speculation (not reporting), some Hardy and some other stuff.

Thought it was good

Thanks.  That was interesting.

If you haven’t listened yet, Cato and guest both thought THJ could easily be outgoing for a wing who plays better D.  The guest points out that THJ and Powell are about the only ones on the team not with the team in Vegas…read into that what you will.

Now to look for THJ or THJ/Powell deals that yield a defensive wing and a third PG who might have been willing to take a day off once every five so Dragic could play his once every five games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-13-2022

(07-12-2022, 11:06 PM)cow Wrote: I would think we'd want someone with more of an offense punch than Bledsoe.

Interesting.  With Luka and Dinwiddie as the other two ball handlers you don't think that they may look for someone who is more defense oriented to fill out that third spot?

I don't think Bledsoe is necessarily going to happen, it could have already if it was going to, just interesting that you feel we need more offensive punch considering our other two playmakers.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Dragic not offered minutes - Kammrath - 07-13-2022

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1547250373898801152

(07-13-2022, 10:37 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thanks.  That was interesting.

If you haven’t listened yet, Cato and guest both thought THJ could easily be outgoing for a wing who plays better D.  The guest points out that THJ and Powell are about the only ones on the team not with the team in Vegas…read into that what you will.

Now to look for THJ or THJ/Powell deals that yield a defensive wing and a third PG who might have been willing to take a day off once every five so Dragic could play his once every five games.

Yeah, we will see.

Off topic, but I think I would prioritize a third PG if no other big moves are made.  I just think finding a wing that is at DFS and Bullock level is going to be tough.   I think it is going to be easier to find a third PG.   

It is not ideal, but I think THJ and Green can fill in on the wings.  It is not a long term solution but would still help fill a hole while keeping our options open for another trade next year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-13-2022

Well...I don't blame him then. Chicago promised a better role. They've got Pinson to cheerlead.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench | Dragic not offered minutes - cow - 07-13-2022

We usually don't see Mavs trade targets coming so I'm not sure how much it's worth playing the guessing game.  Skin's "big trade" could also mean just about anything and I don't really trust that in the first place.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - F Gump - 07-13-2022

(07-13-2022, 07:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: So according to this translation, The Mavs didn't imagine ANY everyday role for Dragic (I was thinking maybe they thought only 10-15 mins for him, but it sounds like none).

Either they are ready to have JG/FN/JH play backup PG minutes OR they have something else planned.

The Mavs stance on this doesn't make any sense, unless (as you theorize) they were penciling Dragic into the 4th creator spot that Burke filled last season, and trying to bring him in for that.

That certainly would seem to indicate there's a coming deal already lined up. It then fits neatly, right into your view of Mavs World 2022. But frankly, I haven't thought a deal-waiting-to-be-done exists, except maybe in their dreams and hallucinations, so I'm still struggling to understand the way they negotiated with GD. It sure would be great if your view turned out to be right, instead of mine.