MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - F Gump - 07-12-2022

My own reasoning on why the Mavs are heading down this road with Wood:
1 Luka
2 Luka
3 Luka

We forget what the Mavs have liked to do as they start the game - Luka starts very ball-dominant and there's plenty of potential pnr-dunk action. Last year it was Powell, and McGee has replaced him. Simple easy peasy. In addition, the Mavs want to set a defensive tone, and playing an opening core of McGee-DFS-Bullock will do just that. Maybe it wears down the opponent, setting the table for when Wood, Kleber, and THJ enter the game.

The Mavs have also said that they want to limit the workload on Wood, over the long grind of a season, and this is a route to load management w Wood, where McGee gets some targeted minutes to that end.

As for those who think this is an indication that the Mavs don't want Wood, or he won't want them, imo it's none of any of that. In time, Wood might become a starter, but at least from what he's saying, he mainly just wants to win. He's never been on a playoff team before. And buy-in to what is best for the bigger purpose is part of that success equation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: They're one Powell trade away from me breathing comfortably.

[Image: 5nM.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - F Gump - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nah, I won't like that. But, today, this got a little less likely.

They're one Powell trade away from me breathing comfortably.

Don't sweat the small stuff, bro. Powell has been 100% replaced (unless they need an emergency fill-in). They have no real need (or place) to play him with McGee here. But he doesn't have to go just to go -- he's now an $11M expiring filler for a trade, if they find one, and makes more sense to keep just in case.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:48 PM)F Gump Wrote: Don't sweat the small stuff, bro. Powell has been 100% replaced (unless they need an emergency fill-in). They have no real need (or place) to play him with McGee here. But he doesn't have to go just to go -- he's now an $11M expiring filler for a trade, if they find one, and makes more sense to keep just in case.

Yep and it's not like Dwight is going to be a malcontent no matter his playing time.  Say what you will about him but he's always been a good soldier.  Someone suggested stretch waiving him earlier and I just don't see the point since he is expiring.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:48 PM)F Gump Wrote: Don't sweat the small stuff, bro. Powell has been 100% replaced (unless they need an emergency fill-in). They have no real need (or place) to play him with McGee here. But he doesn't have to go just to go -- he's now an $11M expiring filler for a trade, if they find one, and makes more sense to keep just in case.

Well, the 4 bigs worry was only part of what upset me. 

For me, the whole idea of needing to replace Powell at all was to ween themselves off of depending on a player like that in situations where it was a negative. Upgrading Powell would be fine, but not necessary once Wood was added, imho. I would be fine with Powell still to be the 3rd big (which is what I believe McGee will be in certain playoff matchups). 

Think of it this way: can they get to a 9-man rotation without using EITHER Powell OR McGee (if they need to)? Because that would've been my #2 goal (behind re-signing Brunson). 

And then, this worry was compounded by 4 of their top-9 being bigs. The 4 bigs rotation worry was an additional, even worse concern. 

My initial concern is still valid, imo. I believe there will be playoff series in which McGee shouldn't see the floor, and they currently only have their pick of Green, Ntilikina or Hardy to fill in for him in a different play style. In other words, they MUST play him, whether it's the right move or not. Does that make sense?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:42 PM)F Gump Wrote: My own reasoning on why the Mavs are heading down this road with Wood:
1 Luka
2 Luka
3 Luka

We forget what the Mavs have liked to do as they start the game - Luka starts very ball-dominant and there's plenty of potential pnr-dunk action. Last year it was Powell, and McGee has replaced him. Simple easy peasy. In addition, the Mavs want to set a defensive tone, and playing an opening core of McGee-DFS-Bullock will do just that. Maybe it wears down the opponent, setting the table for when Wood, Kleber, and THJ enter the game.

The Mavs have also said that they want to limit the workload on Wood, over the long grind of a season, and this is a route to load management w Wood, where McGee gets some targeted minutes to that end.

As for those who think this is an indication that the Mavs don't want Wood, or he won't want them, imo it's none of any of that. In time, Wood might become a starter, but at least from what he's saying, he mainly just wants to win. He's never been on a playoff team before. And buy-in to what is best for the bigger purpose is part of that success equation.

[Image: FAz3.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

At the end of the day, I just think while McGee might be better than Powell in a few areas, and a useful piece, I'm pretty confident I'm going to be watching a playoff series thinking "man, they really can't get away with playing him in these games." 

I could be wrong, but it's going to take me seeing it to believe it. 

And if I'm right, the "flexibility" they need is going to necessitate at least one more rotation-worthy piece (ball-handler is probably the need at this point), and that's if everyone is healthy. Otherwise, they'll be overextended playing guys crazy minutes again.

(07-12-2022, 08:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: At the end of the day, I just think while McGee might be better than Powell in a few areas, and a useful piece, I'm pretty confident I'm going to be watching a playoff series thinking "man, they really can't get away with playing him in these games." 

If that happens, I'll allow you to take off your McGee jersey.

(07-12-2022, 08:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, the 4 bigs worry was only part of what upset me. 

For me, the whole idea of needing to replace Powell at all was to ween themselves off of depending on a player like that in situations where it was a negative. Upgrading Powell would be fine, but not necessary once Wood was added, imho. I would be fine with Powell still to be the 3rd big (which is what I believe McGee will be in certain playoff matchups). 

Think of it this way: can they get to a 9-man rotation without using EITHER Powell OR McGee (if they need to)? Because that would've been my #2 goal (behind re-signing Brunson). 

And then, this worry was compounded by 4 of their top-9 being bigs. The 4 bigs rotation worry was a second, even worse concern. 

My initial concern is still valid, imo. I believe there will be playoff series in which McGee shouldn't see the floor, and they currently only have their pick of Green, Ntilikina or Hardy to fill in for him in a different play style. In other words, they MUST play him, whether it's the right move or not. Does that make sense?

I don't think that's so high on the Concern-O-Meter. To me, when I look at this roster. I think I see only 6 real playoff guys (in bold) -- so McGee, getting some minutes here or there to bang with bigger centers, and perhaps being your #9 in the pecking order as a result, isn't all that worrisome. I promise that if we get up against big boys (like the Gobert-Towns pair), we'll be glad we had at least one big body, and will probably wish we had more.

Luka 35
DFS 33
Dinwiddie 28
Bullock 28
Wood 28
Kleber 24
[Player 7 - 2 way wing to rotate with DFS and Bullock]
[Player 8 - 3rd offense creator to rotate with Luke/SD]
THJ 23
McGee 12
Bertans 9
Green/Frank/Hardy (20 combined)

In the most important games/playoffs ...

1 There's only 6 that I would really trust.
2 Playing those players in those stretches over the season does allow for that top 6 to play even more in the playoffs, assuming you've kept them healthy.
3 Maybe THJ can be #7, but I don't trust that he is. I'm hopeful, wait-n-see, but thinking player 7 (another 2-way wing, to rotate with DFS/Bullock) is not on this team. I do think players like Green and Franky do have a shot at this, at least in theory.
4 And clearly player 8, a 3rd creator, is not here.
5 So the Mavs have a traditional center available, who will probably play at least SOME minutes in big games? Not a significant concern at all imo.

(07-12-2022, 08:33 PM)cow Wrote: If that happens, I'll allow you to take off your McGee jersey.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(07-12-2022, 08:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think I see only 6 real playoff guys (in bold)

So, imo, you should be even more worried than I. THJ would make my list of 7. 

(07-12-2022, 08:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: I promise that if we get up against big boys (like the Gobert-Towns pair), we'll be glad we had at least one big body, and will probably wish we had more.

This is the part I DO agree with, to an extent. Although an argument could be made that the best way to fight a group like that is to go the opposite way and run them ragged as they try to recover out to shooters or guard people 1-on-1 in space. Still, to your point, yes it will be nice to have the option. 

(07-12-2022, 08:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: 3 Maybe THJ can be #7, but I don't trust that he is. I'm hopeful, wait-n-see, but thinking player 7 (another 2-way wing, to rotate with DFS/Bullock) is not on this team. I do think players like Green and Franky do have a shot at this, at least in theory.
4 And clearly player 8, a 3rd creator, is not here.

For YOU, the problem makes sense from the angle above, but it's essentially the same thing I'm trying to point out, only from a different direction. You're assuming those are placeholders for players they know they need. I've been concerned about what the choice to prioritize a traditional center (which might come in handy, sometimes) over filling either one of those holes might tell us about their plans. 

Either way, as you said, at least one of those guys isn't here. THAT'S why I've been going on and on about roster balance. TWO of their best 9 players (currently) are McGee and Dwight Powell. I don't hate either of them or have any great need to be rid of either, but I also don't want to be forced to depend on either of them in the playoffs. But that's just me.

(07-12-2022, 08:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: 1 So, imo, you should be even more worried than I. THJ would make my list of 7.

2 For YOU, the problem makes sense from the angle above, but it's essentially the same thing I'm trying to point out, only from a different direction. You're assuming those are placeholders for players they know they need. I've been concerned about what the choice to prioritize a traditional center (which might come in handy, sometimes) over filling either one of those holes might tell us about their plans. 

3 Either way, as you said, at least one of those guys isn't here. y great need to be rid of either, but I also don't want to be forced to depend on either of them in the playoffs. But that's just me.

Overall, yes I think they are short of what they need.

I do remember they only ran 6-deep in the 2022 playoffs, and made it work until they ran out of gas. So with 6, they haven't lost ground in pure numbers, but they haven't made up ground either.

I do think that a healthy THJ at least offers a potential upgrade from THAT degree of thinness of the bench, even if I am not confident in him being a real solution to say they have 7 now.

I do differ on McGee, in that relatively speaking, I don't see his presence as a real (or looming) issue. It's ticky tack to obsess over imo, because I don't see him as a major-minutes guy. But I'm not seeing any roster clog for the playoff guys, just roster holes within the core. Very thin.

Wood
         Kleber
DFS

Bullock
        THJ????
Dinwiddie

Luka

Certainly they are missing AT LEAST 1 piece, and no idea if they have a real way to get him. I still think they botched it by turning up their noses at Dragic. When it's such a gaping hole, you gotta take the bird-in-the-hand and THEN keep trying to get the miracle deal if you can, right? (And if it's about a roster spot, c'mon, they are frittering one away on a cheerleader --- this feels like the same sort of thinking that has us arguing over Powell's bloated deal year after year, just more sloppy roster management.)

(07-12-2022, 09:18 PM)F Gump Wrote: Certainly they are missing AT LEAST 1 piece, and no idea if they have a real way to get him. I still think they botched it by turning up their noses at Dragic. When it's such a gaping hole, you gotta take the bird-in-the-hand and THEN keep trying to get the miracle deal if you can, right? (And if it's about a roster spot, c'mon, they are frittering one away on a cheerleader --- this feels like the same sort of thinking that has us arguing over Powell's bloated deal year after year, just more sloppy roster management.)

Dragic made the most sense for obvious reasons but there are still options out there.  There is even a Dragic out there.  They have to realize there is a move to make.  The worst thing we could do is go into the season as is and then Dinwiddie gets injured and has to miss extended time.  Or worse yet Luka.  I'd hate to see a panic trade.

I wonder how that Mavs mini camp went?

No idea if Schroder would take a 1-year minimum deal to get back to the NBA and I know he has warts, but he seems like the best "free" option available.

(07-12-2022, 09:18 PM)F Gump Wrote: Wood
         Kleber
DFS

Bullock
        THJ????
Dinwiddie

Luka

I'm fine with this being the top 7, and if they had just re-signed Brunson I'd be in a great mood, overall. I just think you need 8-9 guys (your TOP 8-9 guys) to be deep enough to go super far in the playoffs. 

I'm ok with that 8-9 man list including McGee when it's appropriate, but I feel strongly that they need an alternative list of 8-9 that does NOT include McGee. You're right, they might simply choose to shorten him out of the rotation in that situation, but to me, that would mean very little progress, if any, has been made since last year. You've basically just changed out Brunson for Wood at that point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - SleepingHero - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:43 PM)cow Wrote: [Image: 5nM.gif]

Please tell me you aren't serious 

(07-12-2022, 09:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Please tell me you aren't serious 

Even prioritizing someone like OPJ, making the top of the rotation like THIS would've been much better, imho:

Wood
         Kleber
         OPJ
DFS
         Bullock
THJ
         Dinwiddie
Luka

That doesn't have the other ball-handler they need, but it's still increased flexibility than they have now, from my seat. Who knows if OPJ was even available to them...just saying.

(07-12-2022, 09:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Even prioritizing someone like OPJ, making the top of the rotation like THIS would've been much better, imho:

Wood
         Kleber
         OPJ
DFS
         Bullock
THJ
         Dinwiddie
Luka

That doesn't have the other ball-handler they need, but it's still increased flexibility than they have now, from my seat. Who knows if OPJ was even available to them...just saying.

Can't rely on OPJ's health, sadly.

(07-12-2022, 09:40 PM)cow Wrote: Can't rely on OPJ's health, sadly.

Yeah, good point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Hypermav - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:25 PM)cow Wrote: Dragic made the most sense for obvious reasons but there are still options out there.  There is even a Dragic out there.  They have to realize there is a move to make.  The worst thing we could do is go into the season as is and then Dinwiddie gets injured and has to miss extended time.  Or worse yet Luka.  I'd hate to see a panic trade.

I wonder how that Mavs mini camp went?

No idea if Schroder would take a 1-year minimum deal to get back to the NBA and I know he has warts, but he seems like the best "free" option available.
https://twitter.com/David_Lord_2020/status/1546987439809564672?s=20&t=Ddrk4pnFqSHmsmm5D0Gm8Q

I may be crossing the streams here.