MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 03:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They are starting together confirmed!

[Image: 91fc31a2-63ff-4142-abfe-bc99be7e679c_text.gif]

(07-12-2022, 03:54 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Ah shit not a paywall

The article says McGee is a stater, Wood off the bench. 

Dwight playing PG, handling the rock. They're working hard on an extension for him that befits his new role. Bigger than Brunson money.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - IamDougieFresh - 07-12-2022

Is this speculation by Mr. Cato or am I going to have to have a talk with Mark/Nico/Kidd?

This might break me tbh.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

Thinking through this Wood off the bench thing...no idea if it will really go down like that or not, or how long it will last, or whatever. But...

...OMG would he destroy bench units.

(07-12-2022, 03:56 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Is this speculation by Mr. Cato or am I going to have to have a talk with Mark/Nico/Kidd?

This might break me tbh.

Why, my guy!??

Starting with one big!!!! This is what you and I wanted!

Wood will play more than McGee, don't worry.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 03:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Thinking through this Wood off the bench thing...no idea if it will really go down like that or not, or how long it will last, or whatever. But...

...OMG would he destroy bench units.

McGee is going to play so few minutes that he'll have his chance at destroying starting and bench units.  I want Luka to average 12 assists per game and 6 rebounds.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Mavs2021 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 03:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: 91fc31a2-63ff-4142-abfe-bc99be7e679c_text.gif]

The article says McGee is a stater, Wood off the bench. 

Dwight playing PG, handling the rock. They're working hard on an extension for him that befits his new role. Bigger than Brunson money.

Smart plan. Eliminate the middle man. That was always the flaw in the lob and catch plan. Just let Powell be the lob and the catch.

Dwight McPowelly

[Image: tumblr_n0z5v9N7R21s3gys4o2_r1_400.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - IamDougieFresh - 07-12-2022

I’ll be back meter with a massive rant if they don’t come out me in a padded room first.

(07-12-2022, 03:59 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Smart plan. Eliminate the middle man. That was always the flaw in the lob and catch plan. Just let Powell be the lob and the catch.

Dwight McPowelly

[Image: giphy.gif]

(07-12-2022, 04:02 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I’ll be back meter with a massive rant if they don’t come out me in a padded room first.

What does the metric system have to do with this?

STARTING WITH ONE BIG!!!!!

[Image: giphy.gif?resize=650,400]

Remember when Dampier was starting over Haywood in 2010 and everyone here (wherever we were back then) lost their minds, and then later we learned that Carlisle thought Dampier's only chance of making a positive impact was to play him with Kidd? 

I bet that this (if true) is at least partly based on the idea that McGee will be far more effective if 100% of his minutes come with Luka. I bet the plan is for him to play Luka's stretches of both the 1st and 3rd quarters, exit when Luka exits, and then never re-enter games. CW/Luka happens to close out halves. 

Honestly, I don't hate that. If he started, he'd just be standing in the corner while Luka ran pnr with McGee, anyway. As long as they're using their resources with intelligence to maximize potential I'm up for anything, really.

Come on, where's everybody who was calling me negative yesterday???! I'm in here ready to party now!

[Image: gdpi_matrix_v1_500x290.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 04:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Remember when Dampier was starting over Haywood in 2010 and everyone here (wherever we were back then) lost their minds, and then later we learned that Carlisle thought Dampier's only chance of making a positive impact was to play him with Kidd? 

I bet that this (if true) is at least partly based on the idea that McGee will be far more effective if 100% of his minutes come with Luka. I bet the plan is for him to play Luka's stretches of both the 1st and 3rd quarters, exit when Luka exits, and then never re-enter games. CW/Luka happens to close out halves. 

Honestly, I don't hate that. If he started, he'd just be standing in the corner while Luka ran pnr with McGee, anyway. As long as they're using their resources with intelligence to maximize potential I'm up for anything, really.

Surprised it took so long to point this aspect out.

Although I would say that I felt like the hope is that Dinwiddie is a little bit more of a playmaker than Brunson and should also be able to get McGee involved as well but that may be a little wishful thinking on my part.

(07-12-2022, 04:24 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Surprised it took so long to point this aspect out.

I think it took so long because ALL of us were looking at the roster and seeing FOUR BIGS among the top 8-9 players. We assumed that meant at least the beginning of each game would include two of them (except @"F Gump") because honestly, that's how the roster is set up! I don't think anyone has stopped to even consider either Wood or McGee to start games (except F Gump). 

THANK GOD for even just a hint of the possibility that's not the plan. PARTY TIME! 

[Image: tumblr_p7t4dkpoKY1x4f1b9o1_400.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 04:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Come on, where's everybody who was calling me negative yesterday???! I'm in here ready to party now!

[Image: gdpi_matrix_v1_500x290.gif]

Cannot keep up with the daily mood swings of this board...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 04:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it took so long because ALL of us were looking at the roster and seeing FOUR BIGS among the top 8-9 players. We assumed that meant at least the beginning of each game would include two of them (except @"F Gump") because honestly, that's how the roster is set up! I don't think anyone has stopped to even consider either Wood or McGee to start games (except F Gump). 

THANK GOD for even just a hint of the possibility that's not the plan. PARTY TIME! 

[Image: tumblr_p7t4dkpoKY1x4f1b9o1_400.gif]

Would you say that with the Cato article you are a little more inclined to believe a Powell trade is still coming?

I just don't know if Efes would just hand Beaubois over for Powell, I also don't think it's technically allowed.

(07-12-2022, 04:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I just cannot keep up with the daily mood swings of this board...

It's not a mood swing...well, I guess it is, but I had a very specific concern about something that would so fundamentally mess with my enjoyment of the team I wasn't sure I'd be able to muster the energy to follow them this season. 

And now, there's a glimmer of hope that they see it my way. 

I suppose I should still be pissed that they bungled the Brunson situation so badly, but this feels like a win in my book. One day at a time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 04:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Remember when Dampier was starting over Haywood in 2010 and everyone here (wherever we were back then) lost their minds, and then later we learned that Carlisle thought Dampier's only chance of making a positive impact was to play him with Kidd? 

That's far underestimating McGee ability on both ends of the floor.

(07-12-2022, 04:36 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Would you say that with the Cato article you are a little more inclined to believe a Powell trade is still coming?

He really seems like the odd man out to me, if Cato is on the money with any of this, yes. 

We have a long history of thinking "they're not done" at this point in the summer only to later learn "turns out they've been done for awhile" so I'm not getting my hopes up. But then again, it's a new(ish) front office, and that Durant/Irving stuff really does have everything on hold. It's very possible. 

For example, I think this development (if true) might seem like good news for those hoping to see a Tobias Harris deal. I wasn't one of them, but this puts that back in play, theoretically. The role for him is back.

(07-12-2022, 04:38 PM)cow Wrote: That's far underestimating McGee ability on both ends of the floor.

How? I'm not meaning to do that. I'm not even factoring defense into the point at all, tbh. I'm simply suggesting that McGee's offensive game is screen/roll, so it makes sense to me that Kidd would want him to play with the team's transcendent pnr ball-handler. I don't think that's negative about McGee at all.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - mvossman - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 04:38 PM)cow Wrote: That's far underestimating McGee ability on both ends of the floor.

I am struggling to understand why this guy who is so good got less than 10 minutes a game in his last 5 seasons of playoffs since being with the Mavs (including some DNPs like the entire LA finals) and nobody has held on to him for more than a year or two when he was only getting the minimum?

(07-12-2022, 04:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: How? I'm not meaning to do that. I'm not even factoring defense into the point at all, tbh. I'm simply suggesting that McGee's offensive game is screen/roll, so it makes sense to me that Kidd would want him to play with the team's transcendent pnr ball-handler. I don't think that's negative about McGee at all.

Because we signed McGee for a reason, to band aide a shortfall on the team and not the other way around.  McGee will be covering up some of the teams warts and not the other way around like your example.

(07-12-2022, 04:50 PM)mvossman Wrote: I am struggling to understand why this guy who is so good got less than 10 minutes a game in his last 5 seasons of playoffs since being with the Mavs (including some DNPs like the entire LA finals) and nobody has held on to him for more than a year or two when he was only getting the minimum?

He's a traditional center and with how the league has shifted style of play, the need for that role has been diminished.  Expect DNPs here too.  I'd much rather have that skillset at $5-6m than say $40m for Gobert who can just as easily be played out of a rotation.  His teams have had success with him in every stop since he last stint in Dallas and another very smart team was vying for his services this offseason.  

I personally think Monte did a terrible job with Ayton/McGee/Biyambo against us and is a big reason why he lost that series for his team.

(07-12-2022, 04:54 PM)cow Wrote: Because we signed McGee for a reason, to band aide a shortfall on the team and not the other way around.  McGee will be covering up some of the teams warts and not the other way around like your example.

This is not at all what I meant with the example. 

I'm just saying they will get more out of his offensive strengths if he plays with Luka, and that it might have had something to do with their thinking on when he'll get his playing time. 

I'm not meaning to tear down any of the benefits you're talking about. It's just that it takes TWO players to run the two-man game.

(07-12-2022, 04:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm just saying they will get more out of his offensive strengths if he plays with Luka and that it might have had something to do with their thinking on when he'll get his playing time. 

Wouldn't almost anyone short of KP benefit from playing alongside Luka?

Carlisle was trying to hide Dampier as he was part of the rotation.  I don't think we'll ever have to hide McGee, we'll just simply play Maxi, Wood, Powell or Bertans instead.  We have bodies and skillsets to counter matchups now.