MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - SleepingHero - 03-10-2024

@townbrad
Lively has rejoined the Mavs in Chicago. Would assume that means he's available to play tomorrow, but we'll ask after practice

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - KillerLeft - 03-10-2024

(03-10-2024, 03:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @townbrad
Lively has rejoined the Mavs in Chicago. Would assume that means he's available to play tomorrow, but we'll ask after practice

They need to get Kleber a day off here and there, imo, so this is great news.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - HoosierDaddyKid - 03-10-2024

(03-10-2024, 01:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It'd be the first time in my life I'd be on the smart people side of the argument so I'll take it  Big Grin

Side note, given how we've seen twice now how well a bigger guard that can score on his own works next to Luka, I wonder if we try and grab Dinwiddie this summer again. 

Exum and Dinwiddie seem redundant on paper but I think they'd just add to the versatility to this roster.

Dinwiddie is redundant period. He's not the same player he was when he was with Dallas. Toronto didn't want him and flat out cut him. He did make a game saving blocked shot on Dame for the Lakers win the other night.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - HoosierDaddyKid - 03-10-2024

(03-09-2024, 01:21 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: That was Ghost's list reposted, with my critiques beneath.

So Dame was absent from your list too? Dame should be there somewhere. SMH..

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - KillerLeft - 03-10-2024

(03-10-2024, 06:50 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Dinwiddie is redundant period. He's not the same player he was when he was with Dallas. Toronto didn't want him and flat out cut him. He did make a game saving blocked shot on Dame for the Lakers win the other night.

He really wasn't even the same player BEFORE he was in Dallas, honestly. He was GREAT for that year, but idk...it's kind of like Wiggins in GS. I just don't trust that stretch, given what he's looked like before and after.

(03-10-2024, 07:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He really wasn't even the same player BEFORE he was in Dallas, honestly. He was GREAT for that year, but idk...it's kind of like Wiggins in GS. I just don't trust that stretch, given what he's looked like before and after.

Fair enough.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Scott41theMavs - 03-10-2024

(03-10-2024, 06:53 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: So Dame was absent from your list too? Dame should be there somewhere. SMH..

As I said in my commentaries, I had no desire to go through the entire NBA to fill out the Stars tier. As far as Dame, he'd be the very highest end of Stars tier at this stage of his career.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - RGP1981 - 03-11-2024

(03-10-2024, 01:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Exum and Dinwiddie seem redundant on paper but I think they'd just add to the versatility to this roster.

Instead of Dinwiddie, I think this team needs a better combo of shooter/defender than THJ. From those that should or could be cheaply available, I think Grimes + Fontecchio would be nice additions.

G: Kyrie........ Exum
G: Green....... Grimes, Hardy?
F: Luka......... Fontecchio, DJJ?
F: PJ............. Kleber, O-max
C: Lively........ Gafford

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - surfpuckmd - 03-11-2024

(03-10-2024, 07:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He really wasn't even the same player BEFORE he was in Dallas, honestly. He was GREAT for that year, but idk...it's kind of like Wiggins in GS. I just don't trust that stretch, given what he's looked like before and after.

Absolutely agree.  Dinwiddie has been a losing player his entire career except during his Mavericks tenure.  He's a one-hit wonder.  

I still can't believe we traded Porzingis for Dinwiddie and Bertans.  Even though Porzingis was a poor fit here, a Labrador retriever could have negotiated a better deal than that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - KillerLeft - 03-11-2024

(03-11-2024, 07:31 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Absolutely agree.  Dinwiddie has been a losing player his entire career except during his Mavericks tenure.  He's a one-hit wonder.  

I still can't believe we traded Porzingis for Dinwiddie and Bertans.  Even though Porzingis was a poor fit here, a Labrador retriever could have negotiated a better deal than that.

It's an interesting situation, to say the least. I haven't checked the details recently, but I'm pretty sure that Washington had to pay Boston a 1st to take the Porzingis contract, which I think makes the Dallas/Washington deal look better. I'd take the transitional results of that Bertans contract over paying a 1st to dump him any day, and as we've discussed, the Mavs somehow got more out of Dinwiddie while he was here than they ever got or would have gotten out of Porzingis. But, I can't deny that Porzingis is looking like a usable player on a good team in Boston. 

I think the angle that we're overlooking a bit is the absolutely crushing weight of his contract relative to what he brings to the table, even if he's healthy and playing decently. It just seems like Boston had the means and the will to say "F it, we're close." I'm not sure we all realize that Dallas (and most other teams) literally CAN'T (or at least couldn't, past tense) make that choice, financially. I think that's a big reason Cuban took on the partners, recently, and it gives me a little hope for the future. I'll have even more hope on the day we're all free of Jason Kidd. 

But back to Porzingis on the Mavs, it can't be denied that he wasn't working here. TWO coaches tried, one of them being qualified and trying a variety of approaches, the other having just as much reason to make it work (I personally believe Carlisle's exit was just as much about his desire to be free of Porzingis as it had to do with his relationship with Luka) and both of them clearly reached the conclusion that he needed to be moved out of here. That's not a great negotiating position when trading a player, but it just had to be done.

(03-11-2024, 05:51 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Instead of Dinwiddie, I think this team needs a better combo of shooter/defender than THJ. From those that should or could be cheaply available, I think Grimes + Fontecchio would be nice additions.

I think the animal you're describing is more rare than you acknowledge. Another Green/DFS/Kleber style 3&D type, who shoots a good percentage but only shoots when they're wide open, isn't what's needed to replace Hardaway. His replacement needs to be a shooting threat that opponents game plan against. Someone out there LOOKING to get shots off. A scorer, basically. Sure, it would be great for that guy to have a wider range of utility for the team - more defense, less positional overlap with Luka/Kyrie, etc - but those guys are tough to find. 

Maybe PJ Washington takes enough scoring load, in time, so that another 3&D guy COULD be the answer. It's possible, but so far I'd say Hardaway (when playing well, like the first half of this season) is still a bigger threat and more integral to a good offensive team than people here realize. 

Having said all that, I do think the time to move on from Hardaway is here, but that's more about Hardy for me than anyone they might bring in.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 03-11-2024

(03-11-2024, 05:51 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: Instead of Dinwiddie, I think this team needs a better combo of shooter/defender than THJ. From those that should or could be cheaply available, I think Grimes + Fontecchio would be nice additions.

You basically have 4 of the 5 players you need to create a contending lineup (imo) with Luka/Kyrie/PJ/Lively (or Gafford) and are looking for that last wing who can play defense and give you a consistent 14 to 16 a night and a little bit of playmaking.  Exum has been REALLY good in that role but hasn't been healthy enough to trust, DJJ is lacking on offense, Green is too up and down.

A name that I would keep an eye on is Keldon Johnson.  Mikal Bridges would be the perfect fit but not sure if we have the ammo to do it but I bet we could pry Keldon Johnson has he's kind of fallen out of the Spurs future plans it seems.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - mvossman - 03-11-2024

(03-11-2024, 10:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's an interesting situation, to say the least. I haven't checked the details recently, but I'm pretty sure that Washington had to pay Boston a 1st to take the Porzingis contract, which I think makes the Dallas/Washington deal look better. I'd take the transitional results of that Bertans contract over paying a 1st to dump him any day, and as we've discussed, the Mavs somehow got more out of Dinwiddie while he was here than they ever got or would have gotten out of Porzingis. But, I can't deny that Porzingis is looking like a usable player on a good team in Boston. 

I think the angle that we're overlooking a bit is the absolutely crushing weight of his contract relative to what he brings to the table, even if he's healthy and playing decently. It just seems like Boston had the means and the will to say "F it, we're close." I'm not sure we all realize that Dallas (and most other teams) literally CAN'T (or at least couldn't, past tense) make that choice, financially. I think that's a big reason Cuban took on the partners, recently, and it gives me a little hope for the future. I'll have even more hope on the day we're all free of Jason Kidd. 

But back to Porzingis on the Mavs, it can't be denied that he wasn't working here. TWO coaches tried, one of them being qualified and trying a variety of approaches, the other having just as much reason to make it work (I personally believe Carlisle's exit was just as much about his desire to be free of Porzingis as it had to do with his relationship with Luka) and both of them clearly reached the conclusion that he needed to be moved out of here. That's not a great negotiating position when trading a player, but it just had to be done.

Washington did not have to pay a first.  They got Tyus Jones, salary filler and an early second. Not a kings ransom, but definitely value. KP was not working here but that trade was terrible value. We got very lucky that Din worked out or it would have been a complete disaster

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Chicagojk - 03-11-2024

(03-11-2024, 11:00 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You basically have 4 of the 5 players you need to create a contending lineup (imo) with Luka/Kyrie/PJ/Lively (or Gafford) and are looking for that last wing who can play defense and give you a consistent 14 to 16 a night and a little bit of playmaking.  Exum has been REALLY good in that role but hasn't been healthy enough to trust, DJJ is lacking on offense, Green is too up and down.

A name that I would keep an eye on is Keldon Johnson.  Mikal Bridges would be the perfect fit but not sure if we have the ammo to do it but I bet we could pry Keldon Johnson has he's kind of fallen out of the Spurs future plans it seems.

Keldon appears to be out of place there and will eventually be moved.   I think he is more of a PF type.   I don't know if I see him chasing around guards.  You agree?

What about Mikal's teammate in Cam Johnson?  Fits what you are saying above.    He is going to cost quite a bit though, I think.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 03-11-2024

(03-11-2024, 11:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Keldon appears to be out of place there and will eventually be moved.   I think he is more of a PF type.   I don't know if I see him chasing around guards.  You agree?

What about Mikal's teammate in Cam Johnson?  Fits what you are saying above.    He is going to cost quite a bit though, I think.

I agree on Keldon, feels like a PF trapped in a smaller body and would have trouble defending the POA and navigating screens which is what we need.  I just keep drawing blanks when thinking of names after Mikal Bridges.  Cam Johnson could be pretty interesting...I would think his value is similar to Johnson's despite Johnson's down year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - dirkfansince1998 - 03-11-2024

(03-11-2024, 11:00 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You basically have 4 of the 5 players you need to create a contending lineup (imo) with Luka/Kyrie/PJ/Lively (or Gafford) and are looking for that last wing who can play defense and give you a consistent 14 to 16 a night and a little bit of playmaking.  Exum has been REALLY good in that role but hasn't been healthy enough to trust, DJJ is lacking on offense, Green is too up and down.

Would add two things. Mavs have a couple of young guys that could potentially develop into the missing piece but at the same time they have to prepare for Kyrie's decline.
Mavs are still caught inbetween the Luka/Kyrie win now approach and the new young core that probably needs a few more years.

(03-11-2024, 12:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would add two things. Mavs have a couple of young guys that could potentially develop into the missing piece but at the same time they have to prepare for Kyrie's decline.
Mavs are still caught inbetween the Luka/Kyrie win now approach and the new young core that probably needs a few more years.

Ya will be interesting to see what OMax can develop into.  I honestly don't really see him as a POA defender which should be the priority with PJ already in place but could see him making PJ expendable if he does happen to make some crazy jump and then PJ could be used as a piece to acquire that POA defender.

(03-11-2024, 11:49 AM)mvossman Wrote: Washington did not have to pay a first.  They got Tyus Jones, salary filler and an early second. Not a kings ransom, but definitely value. KP was not working here but that trade was terrible value. We got very lucky that Din worked out or it would have been a complete disaster

Was it a 3-way, or something? I feel like I've heard Bill Simmons (my source for all things Boston) say the Celtics "got a 1st" in the Porzingis deal. No?

(03-11-2024, 01:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Was it a 3-way, or something? I feel like I've heard Bill Simmons (my source for all things Boston) say the Celtics "got a 1st" in the Porzingis deal. No?

It came from Memphis which got Marcus Smart out of the deal.  They actually sent 2 firsts.

(03-11-2024, 01:11 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: It came from Memphis which got Marcus Smart out of the deal.  They actually sent 2 firsts.

Cool. And, was it a 3-way? Did Washington send Memphis something?