MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - SleepingHero - 03-07-2024

@NBA_University
Most CONTESTED Catch & Shoot FGA:

1. Bogdan: 285 FGA—47.2 EFG%
2. Klay: 247—56.9%
3. Strus: 229—52.8%
4. Markkanen: 227—60.6%
5. DiVincenzo: 213—54.7%
6. PG: 202—58.9%
7. Hardaway Jr.: 199—44.5%
8. KAT: 193—58.0%
9. MPJ: 192—58.1%
10. Curry: 188—55.1%

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Ghost of Podkolzin - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 12:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Fair enough if that's your take.  He's not overhyped IMO.  He just comes up short sometimes when it counts. He has a chance to change the narrative though.

He definitely shrinks often in must win games.  Maybe that's it completely, but I just don't put him in the MVP tier.  I don't like rankings, but I do like tiers...

MVP Tier
-Jokic
-Luka
-SGA
-Embiid
-Giannis

Super Star
-Tatum
-Wemby
-AD
-Sabonis
-Lebron
-Steph

Star
-Spider
-Durant
-Brunson
-Booker
-Fox
-Murray
-Kawhi
-Barnes
-Butler
-Kyrie
-Ant
-Vuc
-Ingram
-Trae

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Ghost of Podkolzin - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 02:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @NBA_University
Most CONTESTED Catch & Shoot FGA:

1. Bogdan: 285 FGA—47.2 EFG%
2. Klay: 247—56.9%
3. Strus: 229—52.8%
4. Markkanen: 227—60.6%
5. DiVincenzo: 213—54.7%
6. PG: 202—58.9%
7. Hardaway Jr.: 199—44.5%
8. KAT: 193—58.0%
9. MPJ: 192—58.1%
10. Curry: 188—55.1%

Interesting.  The problem I see with THJ (and would guess if you looked at that stat by game) is that he's so inconsistent.  Red hot when on.  Ice cold when off.  If we had a better game manager like Carisle, that can we completely overcome.  It's like Kidd presses "auto play" at tip off.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Smitty - 03-07-2024

https://x.com/kevingraysports/status/1765816990151659916?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

Mavs defense is the No. 1 concern but as one source told me they believe they'll fix it & the team isn't panicking; noting for example Dereck Lively hasn't come back from injury the same defensively & is probably hitting the rookie wall right now which isn't a surprise

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Scott41theMavs - 03-07-2024

Seems to me it's a perfect storm of coaching (terrible defensive scheme and terrible offensive scheme - at least Kidd is consistent!!!11!!!1!1!!) combined with every single one of the 10-man rotation players except PJ (and perhaps not Luka, either, depending on point of view) having some debilitating issue or another making them ineffective right now at least.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Smitty - 03-07-2024

Maybe Kidd will start Powell and that’ll fix all the issues Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Scott41theMavs - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 02:11 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: He definitely shrinks often in must win games.  Maybe that's it completely, but I just don't put him in the MVP tier.  I don't like rankings, but I do like tiers...

MVP Tier
-Jokic
-Luka
-SGA
-Embiid
-Giannis

Super Star
-Tatum
-Wemby
-AD
-Sabonis
-Lebron
-Steph

Star
-Spider
-Durant
-Brunson
-Booker
-Fox
-Murray
-Kawhi
-Barnes
-Butler
-Kyrie
-Ant
-Vuc
-Ingram
-Trae

I like your MVP tier. Your superstar/star tiers need lots of work.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - RGP1981 - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 02:23 PM)Smitty Wrote: Maybe Kidd will start Powell and that’ll fix all the issues Smile

Dodgy

There is no emoji on this forum for bonking someone on the head with a smelly dead fish... so you get the dodgy emoji instead.

Proud member of the ABCD (Anyone But Clown Dwight) club. Tongue

(03-07-2024, 02:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I like your MVP tier. Your superstar/star tiers need lots of work.

I value your opinion.  How would you tier it?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Smitty - 03-08-2024

https://x.com/grantafseth/status/1766217133170532623?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

Luka Doncic (right elbow sprain) is questionable to play in the Dallas Mavericks' matchup against the Detroit Pistons on Saturday.

Dereck Lively II (personal reasons) has been ruled out.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Scott41theMavs - 03-08-2024

In response to Ghost's tiers:

MVP Tier
-Jokic
-Luka
-SGA
-Embiid
-Giannis

Super Star
-Tatum
-Wemby
-AD
-Sabonis
-Lebron
-Steph

Star
-Spider
-Durant
-Brunson
-Booker
-Fox
-Murray
-Kawhi
-Barnes
-Butler
-Kyrie
-Ant
-Vuc
-Ingram
-Trae

1) SGA is accurately in the MVP tier, with the asterisk that it's a very recent development. Would have been uproarious shock value at the beginning of the year.

2) Way too early to put Wemby in the Superstar tier. Hasn't earned it. But he does deserve to be in the Star tier. Sabonis flat out doesn't belong in the Superstar tier.

3) Spida, Durant, Brunson, Kawhi, Booker, and Edwards are all superstar tier. They are each 100% peers of the four guys you correctly put there. That may tend to leave your Star tier rather skinny, but there are several players (whom I'm not going to look up right now) who are peers of the remaining players there after those corrections whom you did not list.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - HoosierDaddyKid - 03-09-2024

How do you totally leave Dame off any list? This list is suspect.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Scott41theMavs - 03-09-2024

(03-09-2024, 01:12 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: How do you totally leave Dame off any list? This list is suspect.

That was Ghost's list reposted, with my critiques beneath.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - omahen - 03-09-2024

Another tough stretch of games coming for Mavs. At Chicago (if Mavs continue to play defense as they have, that one will be difficult to win), followed by GSW, OKC and Denver. GSW and OKC are B2B. Anything worse than 2-2 in this stretch will be difficult to compensate in remaining games. Warriors will try to have Curry ready for the Mavs game (skipping both games against Spurs and will be re-evaluated before Mavs game).

After that a game against Spurs, two against Utah followed by two crucial games against Sacramento for the play-off spot.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Smitty - 03-10-2024

@iztok_franko 
“So, I looked at Mavs opponent's three-point shot making trend.

Yes, Dallas has been allowing more 3 (see bigger bubble sizes) lately.

But, opponents have been making them at above expected level. See all red dots high up lately except PHI, which makes that L sting even more”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - SleepingHero - 03-10-2024

(03-09-2024, 09:45 PM)omahen Wrote: Another tough stretch of games coming for Mavs. At Chicago (if Mavs continue to play defense as they have, that one will be difficult to win), followed by GSW, OKC and Denver. GSW and OKC are B2B. Anything worse than 2-2 in this stretch will be difficult to compensate in remaining games. Warriors will try to have Curry ready for the Mavs game (skipping both games against Spurs and will be re-evaluated before Mavs game).

After that a game against Spurs, two against Utah followed by two crucial games against Sacramento for the play-off spot.

Essentially the season is decided in the next 2 weeks then. 

If they make it through then they probably avoid the play in. If they continue being inconsistent they're probably a 9th seed and are fighting for their lives.

@NBA_University
Excluding garbage time, DAL has a 126.6 offensive rating & 116.3 defensive rating with Dante Exum on the court. +10.3 net.

They have a 117.1 ORTG & 118.5 DRTG without Exum. -1.4 net.

+11.8 differential with Exum is 96th percentile in the NBA and by far the highest on the Mavs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - dirkfansince1998 - 03-10-2024

(03-10-2024, 12:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @NBA_University
Excluding garbage time, DAL has a 126.6 offensive rating & 116.3 defensive rating with Dante Exum on the court. +10.3 net.

They have a 117.1 ORTG & 118.5 DRTG without Exum. -1.4 net.

+11.8 differential with Exum is 96th percentile in the NBA and by far the highest on the Mavs.

Be careful. People might start to call you a "numbers guy".

(03-10-2024, 01:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Be careful. People might start to call you a "numbers guy".

It'd be the first time in my life I'd be on the smart people side of the argument so I'll take it  Big Grin

Side note, given how we've seen twice now how well a bigger guard that can score on his own works next to Luka, I wonder if we try and grab Dinwiddie this summer again. 

Exum and Dinwiddie seem redundant on paper but I think they'd just add to the versatility to this roster.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - dirkfansince1998 - 03-10-2024

(03-10-2024, 01:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It'd be the first time in my life I'd be on the smart people side of the argument so I'll take it  Big Grin

Side note, given how we've seen twice now how well a bigger guard that can score on his own works next to Luka, I wonder if we try and grab Dinwiddie this summer again. 

Exum and Dinwiddie seem redundant on paper but I think they'd just add to the versatility to this roster.

Dinwiddie played more of a Kyrie/Brunson role. My turn. Your turn. Score first. Exum is a pass first glue guy. Not really looking for his own shot. Just a good decision maker with the ball in his hands.
Right now the 3rd option in the myyour turn offense is THJ. Dinwiddie was an upgrade over THJ in 2022. Not sure if that is still the case. Not to mention that I still hope for a miracle. A new coach with an offensive system that includes more than just isos and high pick roll.