MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - HoosierDaddyKidd - 03-07-2024

https://theathletic.com/5319642/2024/03/06/mavericks-record-jason-kidd-standings/

Good read by Tim Cato.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - omahen - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 08:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://theathletic.com/5319642/2024/03/06/mavericks-record-jason-kidd-standings/

Good read by Tim Cato.

I agree with final conclusion, that it is on Kidd to make it work in the remaining 20 games. I think Cato was just a bit clumsy with selecting the clip that was supposed to show Doncic weaknesses on defense. Also, watching the Indy film, it is very difficult to conclude that Luka is the main problem of this defense. Guys were so lost that I am not sure I could single out a guy that I would not be able to find examples of him screwing up. I think, the main problem are either the overall defensive schemes or something else. By something else I mean guys quitting on the team, because of realtionship. Problem here - most of the guys is not here long enough to be realisticaly able to develop resentment against anyone.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Chicagojk - 03-07-2024

Brad Townsend had an article in the DMN. He was guessing a starting lineup change may be coming. He didn't think it would be Kleber or Exum due to concerns with their injury history. He speculated that it could be Gafford for Lively. Thoughts on that?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - SleepingHero - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 09:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Brad Townsend had an article in the DMN.  He was guessing a starting lineup change may be coming.  He didn't think it would be Kleber or Exum due to concerns with their injury history.  He speculated that it could be Gafford for Lively.  Thoughts on that?

Based on trends I wouldn't be surprised. Lively since coming back from his nose break is down to 19.6mpg vs. the 26mpg he was getting before. It'd be the incorrect choice to sit him down. Anyone watching hasn't ever brought up Lively to be the issue. The Mavs starting lineup has been great so far post TDL too. 

I posted this a bit earlier but:

Luka, Kyrie, Green, PJ, Lively in just 72 minutes

Offensive Rating: 133.3
Defensive Rating: 112.9
Net Rating: +20.4

The only issue is Kidd likes to play with this group for the first 4 minutes of the quarter before he brings in THJ. Then its been some combo of Luka+THJ with Green or Kyrie with PJ and Lively. Then Gafford comes in shortly after. 

Why he'd want to mess with the starting lineup I have no clue.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 09:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Brad Townsend had an article in the DMN.  He was guessing a starting lineup change may be coming.  He didn't think it would be Kleber or Exum due to concerns with their injury history.  He speculated that it could be Gafford for Lively.  Thoughts on that?

This would only make sense from a foul trouble angle. Lively is clearly better than Gafford for this team. Wouldn’t be surprised if Kidd goes jumbo with DJJ instead of Green.

The only thing that should change at this point is Kidd. I really want a tell all about the fiasco that led to Rick leading and why we chose Kidd over Mosley who got an endorsement from Rick, was loved by Luka and is doing great in Orlando.

I would find this as yet another strange move. Gafford was mostly (much) worse on defense than Lively. The only change that could make sense would be either Exum or DJJ for Green, who is having biggest problems defending PnR. 

Imho, changing defensive schemes would be what would make most sense, though. Especially PnR defense. Mavs get absolutely cooked in PnR and it has very little to do with Luka or Kyrie being bad defensive players.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - dirkfansince1998 - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 09:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Why he'd want to mess with the starting lineup I have no clue.

Might as well ruin the only thing that is still working...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - HoosierDaddyKidd - 03-07-2024

My thoughts are they're at the point of throwing anything at the wall and hope it sticks.  The race at the bottom is getting real sticky.  GS and the Lakers are only .5 and a game back of the Mavs. Kings are 1.5 ahead, Phx, 2 and NO, 3.  It's going to be a hell of a race down the stretch, and whoever gets on a run will decide it. GS looks kind of formable at the moment.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - KillerLeft - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 10:00 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Might as well ruin the only thing that is still working...

Right. The starting lineup is the last thing I’d want to change at this point, especially the Lively II part.

I think others very correctly pointed out Mavs problem with adjustments. Teams stopped doubling Luka (and Kyrie) daring him to score more while limiting the other guys. They are just switching the PnR, taking away most of PnR lobs to centers. Mavs made zero adjustments. Luka is scoring and doing it with reasonable if not good efficiency. But Mavs offense has become totally static, with the other guys just watching Luka and Kyrie ISO. They try to play fast, but you can't have fastbreaks if you don't stop anything on defense.

That is also why defense is a much bigger problem. Offense would look much better if Mavs would be able to make stops and score more in transition. Kidd said after Philly game they had a great film session. Based on the result against Indy, I wonder which movie were they watching, because it doesn't seem like it was the Philly game. Dune 2 perhaps? Defense against Indy was a step or two worse than against Philly. Although Philly did miss a bunch of open shots, so this perhaps made me think defense was better in that game. Mavs continue to make same mistakes and even after bringing in a couple of new guys, things didn't improve.

I don't think Mavs are really contender level good, but they should be much better than they were in this awful stretch of last 6 games. After all the moves they made, there are three possible conclusions (or of course a mixture of them):
- team is not constructed correctly and front office it to be blamed. I find this one less likely. Mavs surely lack an all defensive type, but the other guys don't look so bad on defense as the result in last games suggests. Team is probably not perfect, but shouldn't be this bad.
- everyone hates Luka or his style of play and the current result is the team reacting against him. Two issues with this theory - most of the guys are not here long enough. Luka would have to be an absolutely horrible person for new guys to turn on him so quickly. If that would be the case, I would think that stuff would come out in last 6 years, but I don't think we have anything really to support this theory. Still, if Luka is the problem for this subpar play, than Mavs need to seriously consider moving on. On the other hand, there are plenty of reports that guys enjoy Luka of the court.
- coaching. Mavs changed a bunch of players to create a team for Kidd that should look good with Luka, yet it seems on court result is getting worse instead of better. Mavs had that first season spike, but it could easily be credited partially on team created by RC and short term shock impact of coaching change. Whatever the reason, guys just don't seem to be responding to what Kidd thinks they should look like. Either the schemes are bad, either the players don't understand them, either they don't like Kidd. Whatever it is, it doesn't really matter. Mavs can choose to build around Kidd again and again changing the team to find a collection of guys that would make his schemes work. Or, they can try something else.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Smitty - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 09:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Based on trends I wouldn't be surprised. Lively since coming back from his nose break is down to 19.6mpg vs. the 26mpg he was getting before. It'd be the incorrect choice to sit him down. Anyone watching hasn't ever brought up Lively to be the issue. The Mavs starting lineup has been great so far post TDL too. 

I posted this a bit earlier but:

Luka, Kyrie, Green, PJ, Lively in just 72 minutes

Offensive Rating: 133.3
Defensive Rating: 112.9
Net Rating: +20.4

The only issue is Kidd likes to play with this group for the first 4 minutes of the quarter before he brings in THJ. Then its been some combo of Luka+THJ with Green or Kyrie with PJ and Lively. Then Gafford comes in shortly after. 

Why he'd want to mess with the starting lineup I have no clue.

I know I sound like a broken record on discord about this topic but I'll say it again here. The only thing that works right now is the starting 5. You highlighted one of the problems, that THJ is usually the first sub at the 8 minute mark. The starting 5 is averaging a little under 11 mpg together (86 min in 8 games). This is a problem!

Exum has been the popular choice to replace Green in the starting lineup, per discord folks. And I've asked anyone and everyone to answer how they think that solves anything? Exum has played 13.5 mpg since returning from injury. If he plays all of his minutes with the starting lineup then that means Luka and Kyrie are always on the floor when he is. Who is the one running the offense when Luka and Kyrie sit? Your options are Green and THJ (because Hardy doesn't play and even if he did he's not a PG).

Green is not a terrible defender, his screen navigation is poor but a simple screen-level hedge or switching at the top of the key would offset some of those issues. It is almost impossible for a player to go over a screen and not trail if there's no hedge. Drop coverage is terrible and going under is a disaster in most cases.

It's time to stop over helping off-ball, stop drop coverage, hedge and/or switch on-ball screens and live with the results. It's exactly what teams are doing to us post-ASB. We're at the point now where musical chairs and playing guys more or less isn't going to effect the outcomes. The average margin of defeat in the last 5 losses is 14.6 points. Play time and minor rotation adjustments aren't making up that difference. Effort and scheme will!

Quote from Brad Townsend:

Just 12 days ago the Mavericks had won seven straight games and was 10 games over .500 and Kidd seemed to be on a trajectory to an extension of his contract, which has one season beyond this one. Now? If his seat isn’t hot, it’s certainly warmer than it was a few days ago.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - RoyTarpleysGhost - 03-07-2024

Lively is great but his overall production is way down. He's averaging 6.6 points and 3.8 rebounds in February and March. (Limited games)

Josh Green is also averaging around 5 points during the last five games.

Need more box score production from these two.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Chicagojk - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 11:18 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Quote from Brad Townsend:

Just 12 days ago the Mavericks had won seven straight games and was 10 games over .500 and Kidd seemed to be on a trajectory to an extension of his contract, which has one season beyond this one. Now? If his seat isn’t hot, it’s certainly warmer than it was a few days ago.

It better be warm.   Let me add if Nico doesn't have a list already, he could be part of the problem as well.   I know they may have been a package deal and go way back, but this is a business.  Time to tell if they are a serious organization.   if things don't get better or improve greatly, changes need to be made.   

I certainly don't want Cuban making this decision.  Is Nico the right guy.  To be honest, I may be in favor of a total blowup.   Money whip Bob Meyers.   Let him pick the coach and go from there.

(03-07-2024, 11:18 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Quote from Brad Townsend:

It's more than warm. I'd be willing to bet it will be on fire if they lose to Miami and then "gulp" Detroit.

(03-06-2024, 03:59 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Agree, except with Tatum.  IMO he's the most overhyped player in the NBA, a tier lower than Luka, Jokic, SGA, Embiid, and Giannis.

Fair enough if that's your take.  He's not overhyped IMO.  He just comes up short sometimes when it counts. He has a chance to change the narrative though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - KillerLeft - 03-07-2024

(03-07-2024, 11:35 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Lively is great but his overall production is way down. He's averaging 6.6 points and 3.8 rebounds in February and March. (Limited games)

Josh Green is also averaging around 5 points during the last five games.

Need more box score production from these two.

I agree, but I think box scores like that are just what you get on a Luka team, sometimes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - ballsrchr - 03-07-2024

Damn man! I'm a bad person. If two more losses would guarantee a coaching change (to a decent coach)--I would have to root for those two losses...

@NBA_University
Opponent EFG% on Wide-Open FGA

1. SAC - 66.3%
2. ATL
3. WAS
4. BKN
5. IND
6. NYK
7. UTA
8. DET
9. CHI
10. SAS
11. DAL
12. MEM
13. MIA
14. TOR
15. OKC
16. CHA
17. POR
18. CLE
19. DEN
20, GSW
21. LAC
22. LAL
23. BOS
24. MIN
25. PHI
26. ORL
27. HOU
28. PHX
29. MIL
30. NOP - 56.3%

@NBA_University
This can generally be largely attributed to good/bad luck. Though, teams like the Pelicans find themselves in a good spot on this list year-over-year, suggesting that sometimes there can be a method to the madness of leaving certain players open.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Need Stabilizing All The Time - Ghost of Podkolzin - 03-07-2024

I'm all about Gafford starting. Let's go back to DJJ as a starter also. I wish we would have moved THJ when his stock wasn't in massive decline.

Luka
Kyrie
DJJ
PJ
Gafford

Subs:
1. Green
2. Lively
3. THJ
4. Kleber
5. Hardy