MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Hypermav - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What's more, if/when they get that 6th guard/wing type, they'll actually BE the kind of flexible everyone here has been saying they've become, but obviously haven't. 

They'll have the flexibility to play entire games multiple ways, not a portion of each game in multiple ways (not as uniquely useful as it seems, when you think about it). 

This is the first bit of good Mavs news we've had in like two weeks, other than Hardy showing some game.

I thought you might be happier with this news.  Still need DP to be moved.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - BigDirk41 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's funny people are freaking out about this. 

Don't worry, if Wood plays well, he'll earn a starting spot (McGee's). 

BUT THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER (if true). They're not wasting the first 5-10 minutes of each half trying to play with two bigs as a default!!!!! They CAN play that way, which is GREAT! But they AREN'T BEING STUBBORN AND STUPID ABOUT IT! 

I'm dancing right now. 

@"Kammrath" is correct. This is all very temporary, last move or no last move. But, it's at lease an indication that they haven't gone insane.

There's really no news confirming anything. This is all speculation. We're all just guessing. Kidd will decide the starters, not us and not the media. We don't know if there's 2 bigs starting or not. There's really no reason to get upset or happy one way or the other. Even if that's the current plan (nobody knows), that doesn't mean it will be the plan in a few months. Heck Wood might not even be here at the start of the season. We don't really know the set roster yet. Anyone other than Luka can always get traded.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - mvossman - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1546918646546587648

Not sure why we are looking at Powell/Dorian/Bullock/Luka/Brunson numbers?  We have Powell/Dorian/Bullock/Luka/Dinwiddie numbers.  They are a sterling net -5 with a 123 defensive rating.  So glad we are benching our big offseason acquisition to recreate that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:27 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I thought you might be happier with this news.  Still need DP to be moved.

[Image: erin-krakow-hearties.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - ThisIStheYear - 07-12-2022

Wood’s main individual goal will be to challenge for an all star birth. It won’t happen with him coming off the bench. Being that he’s in a contract year, and the Mavs sorely lack talent and can’t afford to lose another quality player for nothing, I just don’t see this happening.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - BigDirk41 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:29 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Wood’s main individual goal will be to challenge for an all star birth. It won’t happen with him coming off the bench. Being that he’s in a contract year, and the Mavs sorely lack talent and can’t afford to lose another quality player for nothing, I just don’t see this happening.

Exactly

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:28 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: There's really no news confirming anything. This is all speculation. We're all just guessing. Kidd will decide the starters, not us and not the media. We don't know if there's 2 bigs starting or not. There's really no reason to get upset or happy one way or the other. Even if that's the current plan (nobody knows), that doesn't mean it will be the plan in a few months. Heck Wood might not even be here at the start of the season. We don't really know the set roster yet. Anyone other than Luka can always get traded.

The quote I read from Cato (via Kamm) started "I'm told from sources inside the organization..." or some such. 

I WILL TAKE IT, MY GUY. 

Please just let me have this. I was 48 hours away from searching for OKC forums.

(07-12-2022, 02:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The quote I read from Cato (via Kamm) started "I'm told from sources inside the organization..." or some such. 

I WILL TAKE IT, MY GUY. 

Please just let me have this. I was 48 hours away from searching of OKC forums.

Haha ok you can enjoy this one.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:12 PM)Smitty Wrote: And now we get to talk ourselves into how much better the team will be with McGee starting and Wood off the bench. It makes perfect sense, duh. Looks like some are already transitioning from Wood will be an All-star to, of course he should come off the bench and earn his right to wear a Maverick uniform.

A bit of an overstatement of what I said, but let’s start from there anyway.

I didn’t make the decision.  In fact, I’ve been arguing for Wood to start at PF.  But when FG pointed out this possibility the other night my comment was that it made sense of the most puzzling part of Kidd’s interview (that we would have a ton of offense coming off the bench).

I think it is a defensible approach to start the season off.  It is more important that Wood is happy in May/June than he is in October.  Nothing about this “news” destroys the ability for Wood to be happy in May/June.  I guess I tend to give the team that just went to the WCF’s some benefit of the doubt that they have some idea what works and what doesn’t.  

Life is going to throw a few curveballs.  I don’t like curve’s any more than anyone else.  What works for me is trying to work through the challenge and see the possibilities.  Wallowing in the fact I just missed a pitch doesn’t do me any good.  So, I try not to do it.  The fact that we just lost Brunson does not dictate the outcome for Wood.  In fact, it probably does the opposite as the team is much more attuned to the possibility and the PR nightmare of it happening twice in consecutive summers.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - radix - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:29 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Wood’s main individual goal will be to challenge for an all star birth. It won’t happen with him coming off the bench. Being that he’s in a contract year, and the Mavs sorely lack talent and can’t afford to lose another quality player for nothing, I just don’t see this happening.

You are right. Wood will override Kidd's decision for sure.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - MrGoat - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am happy ab not starting 2 bigs and setting a defensive tone early in games

It's like when we were starting DeShawn Stevenson in the playoffs in 2011 (which the players urged Carlisle to do so technically that was partially Jason Kidd's idea as well). Set an early defensive tone. Our #2 option came off the bench in 2011, Wood will still get big minutes starting or not. Kidd can also shift things up based on how things go, he did so last season too

McGee also has a 7' 6" wingspan so he's also the best option for the opening tip.

(07-12-2022, 12:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I’ve been told the team’s planning to keep Reggie Bullock as the fifth starter.

This quote @"BigDirk41"

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - mvossman - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or alternatively, “show us some D and we can talk”. I think what matters is total minutes, who finishes and how we get there.  
Here’s my guess on distribution given this information:

McGee 18.        Wood 30
DFS 14.            Maxi 24.       Bertans 10
Bullock 28.       DFS 16.        Green 4
SD 14.             THJ 28.         Green 6
Luka 34.          SD 14

IF they bring in another rotation worthy creator, there is room to give them at least a 20 minute role from the Bertans/Green minutes and raise Smith’s minutes at the four by 10 and move most of THJ’s minutes to the three.  We certainly ‘can’ start the season like this, but boy is there injury risk behind Luka and SD.

This looks about right from a minutes distribution, and I definitely agree with the Wood/Maxi pairing and McGee/Dorian pairing, but I really don't understand why Wood has to show something anymore than McGee does.  Given that these guys care about this kind of thing, I have no idea why they would do this.

One other minor thing, it does not really make sense to play Dinwiddie with McGee vs Timmy.  Dinwiddie likes to operate in the same space McGee does, while Timmy is the perfect outlet shooter for a McGee P&R.

MODERN BASKETBALL MIGHT STILL LIVE IN DALLAS. 

Even just "might" is getting me out of the headspace I was in 24 hours ago. Oh, man, I was seriously dreading the season a day ago.

(07-12-2022, 02:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This quote @"BigDirk41"

I understand. I get why people are taking the news as gold. I just think once they see Wood in training camp with Luka, all that will go out the window even if this report is accurate. Talent always stands out. The best players play. That's just basketball. If Wood goes through training camp and pre season, but doesn't get the starting nod, I'll live with it. Kidd should know best at that point. Too me, anything prior to training camp and pre season is just speculation. My view is obviously just my personal opinion and nothing to back it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Hypermav - 07-12-2022

I am happy because I find it hard for DP to crack the first or second team with Wood a 6th man type.  Maxi and Bertans add more than Powell.  He has to go unless they screw up and trade Maxi for another guard.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: “show us some D and we can talk”

Can we make this Dan's title?

(07-12-2022, 02:37 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I understand. I get why people are taking the news as gold. I just think once they see Wood in training camp with Luka, all that will go out the window even if this report is accurate. Talent always stands out. The best players play. That's just basketball. If Wood goes through training camp and pre season, but doesn't get the starting nod, I'll live with it. Kidd should know best at that point. Too me, anything prior to training camp and pre season is just speculation. My view is obviously just my personal opinion and nothing to back it.

YOU  SAID I COULD HAVE THIS!!!

Seriously, though: I agree that this is all subject to change before camp, during camp, 10 games into the season, a month in, at the all-star break, whenever. 

I'm just happy that there's SOME indication now that everything they're doing isn't the result of some dead set goal to play two bigs like the Lakers did when Kidd studied under Vogel. I know it will be appropriate to do that at times, and I'm glad they can, but this to me means they're at least open to the idea that what we saw AFTER the Porzingis trade was better for Luka than what we saw before. 

Luka is and will always be a pnr player. He's never going to blow by people. He needs angles, and above all he needs SPACE. Carlisle, for all his faults, understood that well, and I thought Kidd knew it by the end of last season (he might have understood it at the beginning, but his lineups didn't demonstrate it, if so). 

When I saw the top of the roster get so big-heavy while simultaneously losing their second most important non-big without replacing him, I started to worry that the approach from first part of last year, before the Porzingis trade, was coming back around again. And honestly, that still might happen. But for now, I'm content to live in the comfortable world of "maybe."

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

Starting Lineup:  Bertans (PG), Maxi (SG), Powell (SF), Wood (PF), McGee ©

(07-12-2022, 02:54 PM)cow Wrote: Starting Lineup:  Bertans (PG), Maxi (SG), Powell (SF), Wood (PF), McGee ©

[Image: go-to-hell-office.gif]