MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - omahen - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or alternatively, “show us some D and we can talk”.

Which is exactly what I wrote - "we don't trust you". The right move, imho, would be to tell him clear message what is expected, start him and act accordingly if he doesn't deliver. Likely by not extending him next season. I mean, I would sure trust Mavs decision, if they would have some good track record. But as it is, just count me sceptical.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Smitty - 07-12-2022

Do not get attached to Christian Wood.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

It will be interesting to track Hartelstein.   He signed for more money in NY.   But, if a starting option was open here, you can't tell me we couldn't have made a strong push.   It will be something to compare where both him and McGee are in the next year or two.

(07-12-2022, 01:36 PM)omahen Wrote: Which is exactly what I wrote - "we don't trust you". The right move, imho, would be to tell him clear message what is expected, start him and act accordingly if he doesn't deliver. Likely by not extending him next season. I mean, I would sure trust Mavs decision, if they would have some good track record. But as it is, just count me sceptical.

Headline next July:  Mavs surprised they weren't even able to make an offer.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - BigDirk41 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or alternatively, “show us some D and we can talk”. I think what matters is total minutes, who finishes and how we get there.  
Here’s my guess on distribution given this information:

McGee 18.        Wood 30
DFS 14.            Maxi 24.       Bertans 10
Bullock 28.       DFS 16.        Green 4
SD 14.             THJ 28.         Green 6
Luka 34.          SD 14

IF they bring in another rotation worthy creator, there is room to give them at least a 20 minute role from the Bertans/Green minutes and raise Smith’s minutes at the four by 10 and move most of THJ’s minutes to the three.  We certainly ‘can’ start the season like this, but boy is there injury risk behind Luka and SD.

That's not how players think. If he finds out he's coming off the bench, he'll most likely request a trade. We aren't the damn Warriors. He shouldn't have to earn a starting spot on a team that just lost Brunson. This is also a contract year for him. There's no chance he lets the Mavs tank his value which may be their thinking in this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - omahen - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:38 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It will be interesting to track Hartelstein.

I like Hartenstein, but I don't think he is a true starter material. Sort of like McGee role. 

Hartenstein is extremely high energy guy for limited minutes. I think he is too limited offensively and too foul prone to play big minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - JamesConway912 - 07-12-2022

I don’t get the infatuation with McGee at all. Powell has his flaws but I’d honestly rather start him than McGee. Chemistry, perimeter defense would be WAY better.

Such a baffling signing to me and still completely unnecessary. 

Now you start him ahead of Wood, too? What’s the goal here? To give him the Noel-treatment?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:39 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: That's not how players think. If he finds out he's coming off the bench, he'll most likely request a trade. We aren't the damn Warriors. He shouldn't have to earn a starting spot on a team that just lost Brunson.

And his bargaining power is based on the incredible demand for his services?  The 26th pick and the privilege of Houston eating 3-4 contracts?

I think it is more like the quote Kamm posted.  He has a chance to earn a lot of money here doing what we ask the way we ask it.  This was viewed as a swing immediately after the deal.  A shot whereby we might turn nothing into something.  Now we are penciling him in as an all-star and anchoring our opinions on what has to happen given our new view.

I personally think he’s going to be great here, but I don’t have an issue with this.  Let him start doing it against subs and grow from there.  Someone just earned $104mm with just that formula.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Winter - 07-12-2022

It doesn't sound like anyone's discussed the tone of the actual article - which is optimistic. Nor have we heard anything but excitement from Wood in his interviews. Lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over a Tim Cato article with a single sentence that begins with "I've been told.... "

There's a lot of assumptions here with no one really giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. 

I'll just wait to see what they have in store after training camp.

But carry on....

(07-12-2022, 01:57 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Someone just earned $104mm with just that formula.

Exactly. And someone else paid him that. If that is a plan with Wood, than Mavs should really trade him ASAP...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Smitty - 07-12-2022

And now we get to talk ourselves into how much better the team will be with McGee starting and Wood off the bench. It makes perfect sense, duh. Looks like some are already transitioning from Wood will be an All-star to, of course he should come off the bench and earn his right to wear a Maverick uniform.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:03 PM)omahen Wrote: Exactly. And someone else paid him that. If that is a plan with Wood, than Mavs should really trade him ASAP...

We should probably check to see who Wood’s dad and Godfather coach and GM for before we get too carried away.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - BigDirk41 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:57 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: And his bargaining power is based on the incredible demand for his services?  The 26th pick and the privilege of Houston eating 3-4 contracts?

I think it is more like the quote Kamm posted.  He has a chance to earn a lot of money here doing what we ask the way we ask it.  This was viewed as a swing immediately after the deal.  A shot whereby we might turn nothing into something.  Now we are penciling him in as an all-star and anchoring our opinions on what has to happen given our new view.

I personally think he’s going to be great here, but I don’t have an issue with this.  Let him start doing it against subs and grow from there.  Someone just earned $104mm with just that formula.

That's awesome. Who is this player you speak of and where is he now?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or alternatively, “show us some D and we can talk”. I think what matters is total minutes, who finishes and how we get there.  
Here’s my guess on distribution given this information:

McGee 18.        Wood 30
DFS 14.            Maxi 24.       Bertans 10
Bullock 28.       DFS 16.        Green 4
SD 14.             THJ 28.         Green 6
Luka 34.          SD 14

IF they bring in another rotation worthy creator, there is room to give them at least a 20 minute role from the Bertans/Green minutes and raise Smith’s minutes at the four by 10 and move most of THJ’s minutes to the three.  We certainly ‘can’ start the season like this, but boy is there injury risk behind Luka and SD.

Yep. This is what I've been saying for a week.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - KillerLeft - 07-12-2022

It's funny people are freaking out about this. 

Don't worry, if Wood plays well, he'll earn a starting spot (McGee's). 

BUT THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER (if true). They're not wasting the first 5-10 minutes of each half trying to play with two bigs as a default!!!!! They CAN play that way, which is GREAT! But they AREN'T BEING STUBBORN AND STUPID ABOUT IT! 

I'm dancing right now. 

@"Kammrath" is correct. This is all very temporary, last move or no last move. But, it's at lease an indication that they haven't gone insane.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - radix - 07-12-2022

If Wood and THJ come off the bench, then we are going to have one of the best benches in the league.

I got no problem with that. 

We will always close out the 4th quarter with the best 5.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - StepBackJay - 07-12-2022

I am happy ab not starting 2 bigs and setting a defensive tone early in games

What's more, if/when they get that 6th guard/wing type, they'll actually BE the kind of flexible everyone here has been saying they've become, but obviously haven't. 

They'll have the flexibility to play entire games multiple ways, not just a portion of each game in multiple ways (not as uniquely useful as it seems, when you think about it). 

This is the first bit of good Mavs news we've had in like two weeks, other than Hardy showing some game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Hypermav - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:37 PM)Smitty Wrote: Do not get attached to Christian Wood.

I already love him more than Brunson

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - radix - 07-12-2022

I also feel like Jason Kidd names the starting lineup just to troll 90% of the people in this forum.

There is no other plausible explanation.

And I think it is hilarious.

(07-12-2022, 02:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am happy ab not starting 2 bigs and setting a defensive tone early in games

[Image: 72q5.gif]