MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - Mavs2021 - 02-13-2024

(02-13-2024, 08:33 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: a healthy Maxi may very well be the choice to close several games at the 5 for the Mavs.  Although I am wondering if Maxi is going to move to mostly PF when Lively is back?  We haven't seen Maxi at the 4 yet with the new guys.  I am a little surprised we didn't see it last night.  What do you think the plan is there?

The beauty of it all. We just do whatever works. I actually think Washington is more capable of defending a SG/SF than a strong PF/C. His strength is not his strength. It´s that he has the body/movement of a SF with the wingspan of a center. Meanwhile Gafford is the rebounding banger. Lively is the hybrid, that can do a bit of both. Will get stronger as he matures. Maxi is the glue that sticks it all together. Gafford was killing it on the scoresheet 16/17/5 in 24 minutes, but it didn´t translate, cause he struggled a bit to protect the paint. Enter the PJ/Maxi combo and it was shutdown city.

I would not be completely shocked to see Kyrie/Luka/Washington/Kleber/Gafford against Minnesota or Denver either.

Jason Terry - Jason Terry - 02-13-2024

(02-13-2024, 11:51 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: The beauty of it all. We just do whatever works. I actually think Washington is more capable of defending a SG/SF than a strong PF/C. His strength is not his strength. It´s that he has the body/movement of a SF with the wingspan of a center. Meanwhile Gafford is the rebounding banger. Lively is the hybrid, that can do a bit of both. Will get stronger as he matures. Maxi is the glue that sticks it all together. Gafford was killing it on the scoresheet 16/17/5 in 24 minutes, but it didn´t translate, cause he struggled a bit to protect the paint. Enter the PJ/Maxi combo and it was shutdown city.

I would not be completely shocked to see Kyrie/Luka/Washington/Kleber/Gafford against Minnesota or Denver either.
I could see a supersized lineup like that against the Wolves. Conley is weak enough that Kyrie could probably excel in guarding him. ANT is so big that a guy like PJ might work best against him

Sure is nice to have the weapons to mix and match against the other top teams

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - Chicagojk - 02-13-2024

PJ thread.

Even with a so so offensive game he still found ways to get some baskets and not just waiting at the three point line.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1757437886234841265

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - SleepingHero - 02-13-2024

[Image: 1757429378173018141.jpg?ex=65de0e01&is=6...eight=1016]
Quote:NBA University (@NBA_University)
Biggest differential between teams’ points per possession after timeouts vs their typical half-court offense.

Dallas is INCREDIBLE after timeouts. Sacramento…not so much.

Wait...Kidd can coach.........?

My life is a lie.

(But actually is this more because Kidd is drawing up good plays, or the brilliance of Luka/Kyrie generating good looks?)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-13-2024

(02-13-2024, 11:51 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: The beauty of it all. We just do whatever works. I actually think Washington is more capable of defending a SG/SF than a strong PF/C. His strength is not his strength. It´s that he has the body/movement of a SF with the wingspan of a center. Meanwhile Gafford is the rebounding banger. Lively is the hybrid, that can do a bit of both. Will get stronger as he matures. Maxi is the glue that sticks it all together. Gafford was killing it on the scoresheet 16/17/5 in 24 minutes, but it didn´t translate, cause he struggled a bit to protect the paint. Enter the PJ/Maxi combo and it was shutdown city.

It is funny that we've basically used him the opposite of how Charlotte used him in this regard (guarding smaller instead of bigger).  Especially considering lots of scouting on him is that he DOES have that upper body strength to hang but we also have Maxi who is like top 10 in the league at using his core strength to absorb contact so we have a luxury of not having to ask PJ to do those things.  I do think he can guard up or down and we've simply seen him used guarding down more (was incredibly surprised to see him used as a POA defender against Shai that first game).  When he's out there with Maxi he's been out on the perimeter and those have been our best lineups but he's had a lot of success already working with Green as the POA defender as well.  I do think once Exum is back and we have all three players we typically use to defend the POA we'll probably see less of PJ doing it but it's been a really pleasant surprise so far.  He kind of seems somewhere in between DJJ and GWill in terms of his defensive profile and versatility is key in this league.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - SleepingHero - 02-13-2024

Brad Townsend (@townbrad)
Maxi Kleber’s play/activity level have been much improved the past 2 weeks. After last night’s game he said his dislocated pinky toe previously popped out 4 times, causing him to miss 35 games of a 36-game stretch.

He now inserts a metal plate in his shoe to stabilize the toe.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - RGP1981 - 02-13-2024

(02-13-2024, 08:45 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Call me crazy but I think Lebron might be a better player than Grant Williams.

I have not said this. I will call you crazy though, if you think that adding Lebron to this team will result in Luka winning a title. If you want to watch Luka/Lebron PNR, or if you want to help Lebron try and win more titles, then you should hope for adding Lebron to the Mavericks.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about Lebron, and I want to see Luka win as many titles as he can. He has been ready to win for atleast 3 years now but the Mavs have not been close to ready as an organization (such a tremendous shame). So, as a Luka fan, if the Mavs are going to be stupid enough to trade for Lebron, I will be hoping that Luka jumps ship ASAP. Why should Luka sacrifice himself on the Maverick's cross of stupidity? And why should he sacrifice his career so that Lebron can ring chase by attaching his wagon to Luka?

What I'm hoping for is that the Mavericks build a well-oiled, consistent championship winning machine.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-13-2024

(02-13-2024, 02:34 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I will call you crazy though, if you think that adding Lebron to this team will result in Luka winning a title. If you want to watch Luka/Lebron PNR, or if you want to help Lebron try and win more titles, then you should hope for adding Lebron to the Mavericks.

So if Lebron came to the Mavs then he would win a title but Luka wouldn't?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - DallasMaverick - 02-13-2024

(02-13-2024, 12:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: 1757429378173018141.jpg?ex=65de0e01&is=6...eight=1016]

Wait...Kidd can coach.........?

My life is a lie.

(But actually is this more because Kidd is drawing up good plays, or the brilliance of Luka/Kyrie generating good looks?)

I think it’s partly Kidd’s coaching genius, and partly Cuban’s magnificence in assembling an impeccable team.

(02-13-2024, 02:34 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I have not said this. I will call you crazy though, if you think that adding Lebron to this team will result in Luka winning a title. If you want to watch Luka/Lebron PNR, or if you want to help Lebron try and win more titles, then you should hope for adding Lebron to the Mavericks.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about Lebron, and I want to see Luka win as many titles as he can. He has been ready to win for atleast 3 years now but the Mavs have not been close to ready as an organization (such a tremendous shame). So, as a Luka fan, if the Mavs are going to be stupid enough to trade for Lebron, I will be hoping that Luka jumps ship ASAP. Why should Luka sacrifice himself on the Maverick's cross of stupidity? And why should he sacrifice his career so that Lebron can ring chase by attaching his wagon to Luka?

What I'm hoping for is that the Mavericks build a well-oiled, consistent championship winning machine.

Do you think Utah could use him?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - Chicagojk - 02-13-2024

LOL

https://x.com/jga41agher/status/1757544464699035655?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - myconsumerclub - 02-13-2024

Maybe Utah will draft Bronny

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 02-14-2024

(02-13-2024, 04:24 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think it’s partly Kidd’s coaching genius, and partly Cuban’s magnificence in assembling an impeccable team.

“I’m taking my talents to Salt Beach.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - RGP1981 - 02-14-2024

(02-13-2024, 04:24 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think it’s partly Kidd’s coaching genius, and partly Cuban’s magnificence in assembling an impeccable team.

Do not want Lebron in Utah either. Although he does look Mormon-ish with that beard of his. Big Grin 

I think Utah needs to tank hardcore next season and then try drafting Cooper Flagg.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - youzigizag - 02-14-2024

IM just Glad Mavs FO finally got Josh Green some help.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - Smitty - 02-14-2024

.jpg   Mavs_Rotation_2024.JPG (Size: 42.48 KB / Downloads: 233)

Messing around with a rotation for a healthy Mavs team after the break.

Kyrie 32 | Exum 16
Green 30 | THJ 18
Luka 36 | DJJ 12
PJW 30 | Maxi 15 | DJJ 3
Lively 22 | Gaff 22 | Maxi 4

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - Winter - 02-14-2024

[Image: ABLVV85F_WFg7uKornY9IPRlAocOwZfhL2vVvw8F...authuser=0]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - RoyTarpleysGhost - 02-14-2024

Exum or Lively playing tonight?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - Winter - 02-14-2024

Exum is a hard no according to some morning news.

Lively was questionable... which was an upgrade.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - SleepingHero - 02-15-2024

[Image: 1757972413659152562.jpg?ex=65e000f7&is=6...ormat=webp]
@MavsLad
PJ 1/6 vs Grant 1/6

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - SleepingHero - 02-15-2024

Noah Weber (@noahweber00)
Jason Kidd on P.J. Washington:

"I love what P.J. is doing defensively for us. He's guarding everyone and guarding them at a high level...His defense is above par and we need that."

Also touched on his playmaking.