MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - The Jom - 02-12-2024

I’m gonna laugh hard when some small-market team drafts Bronny with a mid-second-round pick to C block LeBron and whatever team he has pre-ordained.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - dirkfansince1998 - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 06:26 PM)The Jom Wrote: I’m gonna laugh hard when some small-market team drafts Bronny with a mid-second-round pick to C block LeBron and whatever team he has pre-ordained.

That makes him a valuable asset. Might go in the first round just for that reason.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - RGP1981 - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 04:49 PM)F Gump Wrote: PS - On the idea of a sign-and-trade for LBJ, that's easily doable IF the Mavs stay under Apron 1, and if they send out more salary than they receive. What would be harder would be drafting Bronny at pick 58 if he declares this season - someone is going to grab him much earlier, and if LBJ has no interest, they will swap his rights to a team that interests him (at a profit, of course).

Do not want Lebron. That would be intentionally handicapping Luka. Taking 2 steps backward after the nice step forward made at this trade deadline.

Why would anyone apart from Lebron and Co. want to give Lebron the chance to hook his wagon to the Luka train? Luka does not need Lebron "to show him how to win" either, which is something that I'm sure Lebron would love to be able to say and add to his resume, lol.

If Lebron joins the Mavericks, then Luka needs to run away ASAP, perhaps to Utah or the Lakers.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - SleepingHero - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 06:48 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: If Lebron joins the Mavericks, then Luka needs to run away ASAP, perhaps to Utah or the Lakers.

This schtick is getting old. 

I understand in your mind it might be hilarious, but you're trolling your way into a timeout.

(02-12-2024, 07:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This schtick is getting old. 

I understand in your mind it might be hilarious, but you're trolling your way into a timeout.

I'm not trolling. I'm trying to say it would be highly detrimental to Luka if he stays on a team that trades for Lebron is all. So my post was completely about not wanting Lebron here. And it's something that I can see Lebron scheming to do, to add to his "goat" resume.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - SleepingHero - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 07:11 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I'm not trolling. I'm trying to say it would be highly detrimental for Luka to stay on a team that trades for Lebron is all.

And that is totally fine. I highlighted and bolded the problem at hand.

Expressing your desire for Luka to leave the Mavs and join Utah for the umpteenth time is what is getting old. I get you are a fan of both teams. At the end of the day this is a Mavs board and consistently expressing your desire for the franchise player to jump ship is annoying.

Other than that, you're good my dude. Just cool it with the "Mavs should merge with Utah" "Luka should go to the Lakers". Really not constructive at all.

(And yes I'm grumpy because I haven't even had lunch yet)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 06:48 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Do not want Lebron. That would be intentionally handicapping Luka. Taking 2 steps backward after the nice step forward made at this trade deadline.

Why would anyone apart from Lebron and Co. want to give Lebron the chance to hook his wagon to the Luka train? Luka does not need Lebron "to show him how to win" either, which is something that I'm sure Lebron would love to be able to say and add to his resume, lol.

If Lebron joins the Mavericks, then Luka needs to run away ASAP, perhaps to Utah or the Lakers.

Why would someone want one of the best 10 players in the league? Interesting angle.

(02-12-2024, 07:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: (And yes I'm grumpy because I haven't even had lunch yet)

*pat, pat*

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - loki - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 04:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: 5 One path to changing all the math and possibilities is a THJ trade, where he is sold for pick(s) and the salary in return is way smaller, or even none. In the summer when cap space is more available, that type of deal has potential. I was hoping for a THJ-Brown trade at the deadline to solve that question.

THJ + 25 1st for Caruso. Improves them on the court and opens up a portion of the full MLE. I'm not convinced DJJ would require that, but at least you have the option.

(02-12-2024, 07:17 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Why would someone want one of the best 10 players in the league? Interesting angle.

On Lebron's teams, it is usually best for him to have the ball in his hands. Luka is a better player on offense, with higher bball IQ, better passing, better shooting, better handles. You want the ball in the better player's hands, i.e., Luka. So what is Lebron going to do off-ball on Luka's team? And are they going to take turns taking timeouts on defense?

If Lebron would at least hook Luka up with his training regimen and teach him how get in shape or have a long, injury-free career... that would be great. He does not seem to have done that with AD, D'lo Russell, etc though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-12-2024

(02-12-2024, 07:24 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: On Lebron's teams, it is usually best for him to have the ball in his hands. Luka is a better player on offense, with higher bball IQ, better passing, better shooting, better handles. You want the ball in the better player's hands, i.e., Luka. So what is Lebron going to do off-ball on Luka's team? And are they going to take turns taking timeouts on defense?

If Lebron would at least hook Luka up with his training regimen and teach him how get in shape or have a long, injury-free career... that would be great. He does not seem to have done that with AD, D'lo Russell, etc though.

Lebron has been looking for someone to take the reigns for him for a long time but AD is up and down and the rest of the team sucks (mostly because he wanted them to trade for Russ so bad). I think he WANTS to sit back in the corner and watch Luka at this point. He already shoots way more threes than he used to and would still have opportunities to lead. We’ll still be looking for a wing upgrade if we end up making a move and if there is a fair value move you can make for Lebron you don’t think twice about it. He’s still just that good.

(02-12-2024, 07:24 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: On Lebron's teams, it is usually best for him to have the ball in his hands. Luka is a better player on offense, with higher bball IQ, better passing, better shooting, better handles. You want the ball in the better player's hands, i.e., Luka. So what is Lebron going to do off-ball on Luka's team? And are they going to take turns taking timeouts on defense?

Agreed you want the best dude with the ball in his hands the majority of the time, but Luka has copy-catted a lot of Lebron's game up until this point especially with how he distributes the ball.

Theoretically Lebron would allow Luka to rest throughout the game, possession by possession, and the Mavs wouldn't really lose much, if anything, scoring/facilitating pressure. They wouldn't even have to switch up their game style when Lebron has the ball vs. Luka. 

Lebron has also sneakily become a solid 3pt shooter and would probably be the ultimate short roll guy ever. I'm not sure there is any defense for a Luka-Lebron PnR with Lively waiting in the dunkers spot. 

If teams double Luka, well you have Lebron wide open at the top of the key playing 4 on 3. If you aren't doubling Luka, then you have arguably one of the most gifted scorers we've ever seen with all the space to operate and will probably drop 50 on you. 

Add in Kyrie as an off ball pressure relief and PJ as the versatile forward who can do a bit of everything and that is a very very VERY scary team. 

It's easy to talk yourself into the idea.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-12-2024

Man the Luka/Lebron PnR didn’t even cross my mind honestly. You know how we watch Green/Maxi/Lively/Powell execute 4 on 3 situations like 100 times a game? Just imagine Lebron conducting those. Also imagine deciding to switch on that. Also imagine it when the mavs have gone small and Lebron is the 5.

It would be a cheat code.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - dirkfansince1998 - 02-12-2024

Don't like LeBron but just talking about the on court fit he is slowly transitioning into a different role. Basically a full time PF these days. Even played some small ball center. Lakers are starting two guards (Reaves/Russell) next to him that are both capable ballhandlers and usually bring the ball up the floor/initiate the offense. LeBron is still an unstoppable force in transition but his role in the half court isn't what it used to be. A big problem for the Lakers because no one else is good enough to get the job done.
Career lows in touches/time of possession/FGA/FTA and the lowest usage since his rookie season. More screens, some post ups.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - RGP1981 - 02-12-2024

I wrote a post saying why Luka + Lebron will not work.

But I have deleted it. Cause I figure it will be more fun to simply say I told you so, in case it actually happens. Just like with G-Will. Tongue

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - SleepingHero - 02-13-2024

[Image: Z2fEzSO.jpeg]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - Chicagojk - 02-13-2024

a healthy Maxi may very well be the choice to close several games at the 5 for the Mavs. Although I am wondering if Maxi is going to move to mostly PF when Lively is back? We haven't seen Maxi at the 4 yet with the new guys. I am a little surprised we didn't see it last night. What do you think the plan is there?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka wins Player of the Week! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-13-2024

(02-12-2024, 10:10 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I wrote a post saying why Luka + Lebron will not work.

But I have deleted it. Cause I figure it will be more fun to simply say I told you so, in case it actually happens. Just like with G-Will. Tongue

Call me crazy but I think Lebron might be a better player than Grant Williams.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - ballsrchr - 02-13-2024

(02-12-2024, 07:28 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Lebron has been looking for someone to take the reigns for him for a long time but AD is up and down and the rest of the team sucks (mostly because he wanted them to trade for Russ so bad). I think he WANTS to sit back in the corner and watch Luka at this point. He already shoots way more threes than he used to and would still have opportunities to lead. We’ll still be looking for a wing upgrade if we end up making a move and if there is a fair value move you can make for Lebron you don’t think twice about it. He’s still just that good.

Lebron coasts most of the year now--only coming out to play when they need the win.  The real Lebron will come out to play during the playoffs.  He is getting older so I don't know how long that strategy will work for him, but it will still work for a while.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Gafford+PJ press conference Sat at 10:30 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-13-2024

(02-13-2024, 09:30 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Lebron coasts most of the year now--only coming out to play when they need the win.  The real Lebron will come out to play during the playoffs.  He is getting older so I don't know how long that strategy will work for him, but it will still work for a while.

For sure, anyone who takes on Lebron is doing it with 16 wins in mind, not 82 games so you better have a roster who can get him that far.