MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1546918242643484674

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Seems like reporting based on Kidd statement. So Kidd said SD and McGee will start and Bullock remains in the starting five. I will state a couple of facts and I kindly ask if someone could explain the Mavs logic to me, please.

1. Wood>>>>McGee
2. McGee is projected to play 15 minutes per game.
3. Wood will likely play 30 minutes per game
4. Players take pride in starting, it means something to them.
5. Wood will be UFA next season
6. Wood will be a coveted FA if he has a good season

So based on all this, Mavs decide to start McGee and bring Wood of the bench. Seems very "smartest person in the room" decision. What the hell prevents them from starting Wood and bring McGee in as his replacement??? In the end it will be same minutes distribution.

First, I was way wrong.  I did not think Wood would be coming off the bench.  Man, was I off.

Second, that was a depressing article.  Certainly feels like we are much closer to being done...and may be done. 

Right now, I view us as a 7-8 seed.   Not great!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1546918646546587648

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - omahen - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: First, I was way wrong.  I did not think Wood would be coming off the bench.  Man, was I off.

Second, that was a depressing article.  Certainly feels like we are much closer to being done...and may be done. 

Mavs first message to Wood seems to be - "we don't trust you". Great start of a relationship for someone who might be an important piece. We know McGee is 15 minutes per game player. At best. Wood might be more...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

Imagine the reaction of this board if they announced minus the McGee signing that Powell would be starting and Wood coming off the bench Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Jommybone - 07-12-2022

No way Powell survives. They’ll stretch-waive him if they have to.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:08 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Imagine the reaction of this board if they announced minus the McGee signing that Powell would be starting and Wood coming off the bench Smile

Trust the Circle of Trust.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - DallasMaverick - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: First, I was way wrong.  I did not think Wood would be coming off the bench.  Man, was I off.

So, a significant dropoff from last season, then.

Because of the loss of Brunson?  Boban? Burke?  Porzingis?

...and you believe that Wood won't contribute much, either? Nor THJ? Nor McGee?

Or perhaps it's that teams 4-7 in the West will be so much stronger this year.  Like Utah?

At this point, I'm thinking 3rd or 4th in the West.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:12 PM)Jommybone Wrote: No way Powell survives. They’ll stretch-waive him if they have to.

A SW seems pointless.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Jommybone - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:14 PM)cow Wrote: A SW seems pointless.

Not to the guy paying the tax. We’ll be under it next year if not this. Plainly that’s a priority here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:06 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs first message to Wood seems to be - "we don't trust you". Great start of a relationship for someone who might be an important piece. We know McGee is 15 minutes per game player. At best. Wood might be more...

If for whatever reason they don't see Wood as a core player and long term starter, I would look to move him.  That may be extreme, but with a roster that desperately needs more talent I don't think you can prioritize another high priced bench player (even if he averages 2nd or 3rd highest minutes on the team) But could you get involved in the Ayton talks with Wood and picks?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:13 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So, a significant dropoff from last season, then.

Or perhaps it's that teams 4-7 in the West will be so much stronger this year.  Like Utah?

For the most part I think that the west could be a lot better next season. I think Denver and the Clippers could easily overtake the Mavs. Portland has a shot if Lillard is healthy. They added a lot of talent in the summer. Don´t see any of the teams that finished in front of Dallas declining. Maybe the Suns if CP3 is done and they lose Ayton for nothing. But they could also turn into the heavy favorit if they add KD.

As of now (hard to tell in july without any knowledge about additional roster moves and health) I would have the Mavs somewhere in the 5th-7th range.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - BigDirk41 - 07-12-2022

I don't believe one for one moment that Wood won't be starting game 1. If the Mavs plan is to really bring him off the bench, go ahead and trade him because he will also walk next summer. I think this is just speculation. Wood is the 2nd best player talent wise on the team. You don't bring your second best player off the bench. That being said leave it to the Mavs to go ahead and screw up a relationship before it even starts.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - sterlingmallory - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:16 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Not to the guy paying the tax. We’ll be under it next year if not this. Plainly that’s a priority here.

Seems like it. At this point I almost wonder if they're secretly keeping the last spot open as a way to save money and just saying it's for "flexibility" purposes to save face. Would the empty roster spot charge be cheaper than signing someone to the minimum? I can't help but believe more and more the speculation that Cuban lost his shirt when crypto crashed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - omahen - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: If for whatever reason they don't see Wood as a core player and long term starter, I would look to move him.

Agree

(07-12-2022, 01:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: But could you get involved in the Ayton talks with Wood and picks?

I doubt he would choose Dallas to play off the bench Smile

On a serious note, it is an interesting idea. It could be done by sending Powell to a third team. But it would take a pick or likely two to do it, imho. I doubt it is worth it.

Of course I don't believe Mavs are thinking about it. I think they are done.

(07-12-2022, 01:19 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For the most part I think that the west could be a lot better next season. I think Denver and the Clippers could easily overtake the Mavs. Portland has a shot if Lillard is healthy. They added a lot of talent in the summer. Don´t see any of the teams that finished in front of Dallas declining. Maybe the Suns if CP3 is done and they lose Ayton for nothing. But they could also turn into the heavy favorit if they add KD.

As of now (hard to tell in july without any knowledge about additional roster moves and health) I would have the Mavs somewhere in the 5th-7th range.

I think Minnesota will be a very good regular season team. New Orleans will also likely be much better than last season. Sacramento will try and fail to reach playoffs as always. Lakers might be better with Irving. Utah is worse and SA will openly tank.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - BigDirk41 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:25 PM)omahen Wrote: Agree

I doubt he would choose Dallas to play off the bench Smile

On a serious note, it is an interesting idea. It could be done by sending Powell to a third team. But it would take a pick or likely two to do it, imho. I doubt it is worth it.

Of course I don't believe Mavs are thinking about it. I think they are done.

I think Minnesota will be a very good regular season team. New Orleans will also likely be much better than last season. Sacramento will try and fail to reach playoffs as always. Lakers might be better with Irving. Utah is worse and SA will openly tank.

The Mavs can never have enough back up centers apparently. Don't count them out just yet. Haha

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - Chicagojk - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:13 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So, a significant dropoff from last season, then.

I think this team if they brought back Brunson would have had trouble having similar success this upcoming season.  But they would be a team that knows each other, likes playing with each other and knows to play as a team.   They could grind out a lot of wins just with that.   I think in the more difficult west, we would be treading water waiting for that last big move.  And that would be fine.  I consider that on the right path.  We would be a heavy tax team but we could correct that moving forward.

I now view this roster substantially less than what I envisioned with limited clear options of adding talent short term.   I feel much less confident now....even if I thought we have taken a slight step back with Brunson re-signed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - sterlingmallory - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:21 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: That being said leave it to the Mavs to go ahead and screw up a relationship before it even starts.

It really is bizarre to see how such a self proclaimed player friendly organization seems to go out of it's way to alienate players. They get cheap with actual core players like Nash, Tyson Chandler, and Brunson and then turn around and overpay people like KP and Powell. Trading Barnes in the middle of a game, trading Curry after he came back for the second time. The list goes on.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 01:06 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs first message to Wood seems to be - "we don't trust you".

Or alternatively, “show us some D and we can talk”. I think what matters is total minutes, who finishes and how we get there.  
Here’s my guess on distribution given this information:

McGee 18.        Wood 30
DFS 14.            Maxi 24.       Bertans 10
Bullock 28.       DFS 16.        Green 4
SD 14.             THJ 28.         Green 6
Luka 34.          SD 14

IF they bring in another rotation worthy creator, there is room to give them at least a 20 minute role from the Bertans/Green minutes and raise Smith’s minutes at the four by 10 and move most of THJ’s minutes to the three.  We certainly ‘can’ start the season like this, but boy is there injury risk behind Luka and SD.

(07-12-2022, 01:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Or alternatively, “show us some D and we can talk”. I think what matters is total minutes, who finishes and how we get there.  Here’s my guess on distribution given this information:

McGee 18.        Wood 30
DFS 14.            Maxi 24.       Bertans 10
Bullock 28.       DFS 16.        Green 4
SD 14.             THJ 28.         Green 6
Luka 34.          SD 14

IF they bring in another rotation worth creator, there is room to give them at least a 20 minute role from the Bertans/Green minutes and raise Smith’s minutes at the four by 10 and move most of THJ’s minutes to the three.  We certainly ‘can’ start the season like this, but boy is there injury risk behind Luka and SD.

Bingo. Here were Nico's earliest words on CW:

Quote:"I think we both offer each other a lot. and so I think we'll have to do a little bit of showing him, and he'll have to do a little bit of showing us."