MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - BigDirk41 - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 09:31 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that Luka probably needs to see a plan NOW, and that he’s probably one of the main voices deciding things like “Grant is weird, get him out of here” or “PJ seems like a good fit.” 

And before this summer, I would’ve been resigned to this path like you seem to be. 

But man, their maneuvering on draft night changed me. Imagine if they had just done that three years in a row up until the next free agent period for Luka. Imagine the amount of young talent there would be around here at that point, and imagine how much experience some of it would have by then. I have to believe that Luka is smart enough to see the wisdom in that approach, and think I would’ve tried to sell them on it. Who knows, maybe they did…

Don’t get me wrong – I am excited to watch these two new players with the team, and I do think they’ll make the team better.

There's no way Luka waits 3 more years for young talent to hopefully blossom. A player of his magnitude shouldn't have to wait either. He's in year 6. No great player has ever been content with waiting until year 9 to hope things work out. I understand you personally wanting that, but no matter what any of us think or want, it only matters what Luka wants. He deserves to have a competitive team and one that he can take deep into the playoffs if they are healthy. The roster is good now. Can Kidd coach them properly? Who the hell knows, but the talent is there now from 1-10. This roster is good enough if healthy and if Luka does his normal playoff thing, to make a run.

Jason Terry - Jason Terry - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 10:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I didn’t realize it when I was making the argument this morning, but this really is the difference for me.

I don’t agree for a second with IGT’s claim that this could be a dark horse contender, but when I try to think why, it really doesn’t have much to do with the roster. I think that’s exactly the way I would describe the roster… If it was coached well.

It’s just impossible for me to imagine Jason Kidd coaching this team to the championship. So, without even meaning to be, I’m in sort of a holding pattern until they wise up and change head coaches. That holding pattern leads me to want to conserve assets until we know what the real coach is going to want in order to get the job done, and so on and so on. It’s like dominoes for me, and I didn’t fully realize that until just now.
It will cost 0 FRP’s to get rid of Kidd. This is a good scapegoat card to play if we don’t have success with the current roster. Buys some time(with Luka) for us to pivot. All indications at the moment are that Kidd is who Luka and Kyrie want. That could change quick though

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - BigDirk41 - 02-09-2024

To me Kidd can't hide anymore if this roster stays healthy. It doesn't have any glaring holes and is deep now. If they suck, it's on him and him alone.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - dirkfansince1998 - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 11:24 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: There's no way Luka waits 3 more years for young talent to hopefully blossom. A player of his magnitude shouldn't have to wait either. He's in year 6. No great player has ever been content with waiting until year 9 to hope things work out. I understand you personally wanting that, but no matter what any of us think or want, it only matters what Luka wants. He deserves to have a competitive team and one that he can take deep into the playoffs if they are healthy. The roster is good now. Can Kidd coach them properly? Who the hell knows, but the talent is there now from 1-10. This roster is good enough if healthy and if Luka does his normal playoff thing, to make a run.

That's a no brainer but if you don't have a good front office and they make one bad win now move after another you end up in a Cavs/LBJ situation. Mavs are close to that point in my opinion. If the deadline trades don't work out we might be looking at "The Decision" again.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - youzigizag - 02-09-2024

Why is Kidd planting seeds for fans to be patient with the new guys integrating on the team?

This is the big leagues.

Seems like he is conditioning the fans for let down this season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - KillerLeft - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 11:24 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: There's no way Luka waits 3 more years for young talent to hopefully blossom. A player of his magnitude shouldn't have to wait either. He's in year 6. No great player has ever been content with waiting until year 9 to hope things work out. I understand you personally wanting that, but no matter what any of us think or want, it only matters what Luka wants. He deserves to have a competitive team and one that he can take deep into the playoffs if they are healthy. The roster is good now. Can Kidd coach them properly? Who the hell knows, but the talent is there now from 1-10. This roster is good enough if healthy and if Luka does his normal playoff thing, to make a run.

You keep responding as if it’s a simple choice between being good or not being good, and which of those Luka would prefer.

What I’m saying is that I believe these choices the Mavs are making could make winning less likely in the long run. Far less likely. “In the long run” is when he will actually decide whether or not he wants to stay, not this summer. He is here for two more years for sure, and probably three. What they are doing is going to make it far, far more difficult to upgrade the team THEN, when it will matter most. 

If the payoff for putting themselves up against that kind of risk was actually competing for a championship now, I could understand it. But, that’s not what they are getting, right? What they are getting now is a slightly better chance to finish sixth, rather than have to go through the play-in process to make the playoffs. Either way, what’s the best we can hope for… Second round exit? That’s not nothing, and I am not suggesting they shouldn’t try to max this team out, it’s just that I had hoped they could do it with more modest moves that kept momentum going for future moves.

Love Gafford, but he is a backup center here. I do not think he is worth (to the Mavs) either his salary or the first round pick they had to acquire to give up for him. I think there will be playoff games where he plays eight minutes and everybody here loses their mind, because Kleber is in there instead of him. And, I think it will probably be the right decision to play Kleber in front of him. Who knows, maybe Gafford will get the minutes and it will be Lively who ends up with eight minutes, but I doubt it. Gafford definitely protects them from a Lively injury. Love that part of it, but… For a first? At $12 million per?

Love PJ and I think he will be great here. I have said so repeatedly for months. But, I didn’t think it would be so expensive to get him. I would feel so much better about that deal if it had been like Williams, Curry and Hardy, maybe. 

It’s just the draft capital, guys. You need it just to be able to get on the phone and discuss these deals nowadays. They’ve got to be smarter about how they use it. I do like that they’re starting to get pics back in these deals, but I think it might be too little too late.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - Smitty - 02-09-2024

Just for clarification the Mavs have a FRP in every future draft except ‘29 and possibly ‘27 (top 2 protected).

I’m not talking about tradable picks. Actual draft picks where they can select a player.

It’s not as doom and gloom as some might think.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - mvossman - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 10:00 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't think there is much doom and gloom really. I would say some of us are just cautious and not celebrating before we actually see the on court product.

What triggers me a bit is that in the discussions prior to TDL, "90 %" of the board would laugh at proposals to trade 2027 for PJ. Find thousand arguments why this is an overkill and how 2 SRP is max we should do. Now all of a sudden "90 %" of the board is super positive about it.

The possibility of player like Grant not working here is far lower than the possibility of player like PJ not working here. That is my main argument. Of course it is always possible it wouldn't be enough, but I would be far more comfortable doing it.

I can definitely see the argument of not doing the PJ deal.  Hold onto that first round pick for the offseason and hope that GWill figures out how to be useful on the court.  Its a risk.  I'm 50/50 on it, mostly because I am glad to be off that GWill contract.  I definitely like the trade we did vs a one for one with Green.  It would have been a mess having both GWill and PJ on the roster.

Killer, instead of the back and forth and irritating you, I'll just say I disagree with your assessment and I like where the franchise is going. You may be right and I could be wrong. We're both entitled to our opinions. I respect yours. It's just different than mine.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - DallasMaverick - 02-09-2024

Does anybody know a good tattoo place?

Thinking about getting one with the Mavs logo and the O’Brien trophy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - omahen - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 11:45 AM)Smitty Wrote: Just for clarification the Mavs have a FRP in every future draft except ‘29 and possibly ‘27 (top 2 protected).

I’m not talking about tradable picks. Actual draft picks where they can select a player.

It’s not as doom and gloom as some might think.

Just for clarification. There is a slight difference between picking in the top five or bottom five. Which is a possible consequence of a pick swap. Especially picks after Kyrie and Luka current deals.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - KillerLeft - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 11:47 AM)mvossman Wrote: I can definitely see the argument of not doing the PJ deal.  Hold onto that first round pick for the offseason and hope that GWill figures out how to be useful on the court.  Its a risk.  I'm 50/50 on it, mostly because I am glad to be off that GWill contract.  I definitely like the trade we did vs a one for one with Green.  It would have been a mess having both GWill and PJ on the roster.

See, for me, and I know before even typing this that it’s not gonna be popular, but…

I think I would have skipped the Gafford deal without a second thought, because that pick swap in ’28 (which could be the Mavs swapping out the #1 pick for one in the late 20’s) is just overtly too damn much to pay for a back up at any freaking position, especially center. And before anyone says it, I don’t care about the cost of dumping Holmes, because I believe his expiring could have been useful over the summer or this time next year. I was actually kind of looking forward to having it, truth be told. 

The PJ Washington deal I might’ve still done, but (and here’s where everyone will really hate me) I think I would have preferred to use Hardy or *gulp*…even Green instead of a TOP TWO PROTECTED (!!!!) first the year AFTER Luka’s contract is up. Sure, it makes the move less impactful now, but this team is not going to win a championship, and it probably won’t even win a playoff series. So, who cares? And hey… If Charlotte wouldn’t have done it for Hardy, and the Mavericks decided they liked Green better than PJ Washington, no worries! Live to fight another day!

All that matters is where you are going, not where you are, and where are you are should be fashioned into the best path to get to where you are going.

(02-09-2024, 11:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Just for clarification. There is a slight difference between picking in the top five or bottom five. Which is a possible consequence of a pick swap. Especially picks after Kyrie and Luka current deals.

Yeah, taking Luka out of it completely, Kyrie will, for sure, be gone when all of these consequences come to. That’s just a fact. One more reason why I think this path is a little crazy.

AND I LIKE THE PLAYERS THEY GOT! My goodness, what happens if one or both of them are disappointing?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - Smitty - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 11:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Just for clarification. There is a slight difference between picking in the top five or bottom five. Which is a possible consequence of a pick swap. Especially picks after Kyrie and Luka current deals.

Sure we can go back and forth but the fact remains that the Mavs have plenty of draft picks to continue adding young guys to the roster.

Maybe the problem is that most of us, including myself, only think of using draft picks in trades. 

Maybe we just draft guys. They’ve been kinda good at it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - Jason Terry - 02-09-2024

Mavs news:

The Dallas Mavericks have finally upgraded the backup center position. We did it! We upgraded from Erika Dampier after all these years! If there’s a will there’s a way!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - mvossman - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 11:39 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: You keep responding as if it’s a simple choice between being good or not being good, and which of those Luka would prefer.

What I’m saying is that I believe these choices the Mavs are making could make winning less likely in the long run. Far less likely. “In the long run” is when he will actually decide whether or not he wants to stay, not this summer. He is here for two more years for sure, and probably three. What they are doing is going to make it far, far more difficult to upgrade the team THEN, when it will matter most. 

If the payoff for putting themselves up against that kind of risk was actually competing for a championship now, I could understand it. But, that’s not what they are getting, right? What they are getting now is a slightly better chance to finish sixth, rather than have to go through the play-in process to make the playoffs. Either way, what’s the best we can hope for… Second round exit? That’s not nothing, and I am not suggesting they shouldn’t try to max this team out, it’s just that I had hoped they could do it with more modest moves that kept momentum going for future moves.

Love Gafford, but he is a backup center here. I do not think he is worth (to the Mavs) either his salary or the first round pick they had to acquire to give up for him. I think they will be playoff games where he plays eight minutes and everybody here loses their mind, because Kleber is in there instead of him. And, I think it will probably be the right decision to play Kleber in front of him. Who knows, maybe Gafford will get the minutes and it will be Lively who ends up with eight minutes, but I doubt it. Gafford definitely Protects them from a Lively injury. Love that part of it, but… For a first? At $12 million per?

Love PJ and I think he will be great here. I have said so repeatedly for months. But, I didn’t think it would be so expensive to get him. I would feel so much better about that deal if it had been like Williams, Curry and Hardy, maybe. 

It’s just the draft capital, guys. You need it just to be able to get on the phone and discuss these deals nowadays. They’ve got to be smarter about how they use it. I do like that they’re starting to get pics back in these deals, but I think it might be too little too late.

The first we gave up for Gafford was crap.  It cost a pick swap.  If you do the math, we paid a pick swap for Gafford and Omax.

I'm not sure PJ was expensive so much as getting of GWill ASAP was expensive.  That was a costly mistake.  Given your pro PJ stance, wouldn't you expect a rebound such that his market value might approach a first round pick again?  Teams like picks, but sometimes teams like players.  OG didn't cost a single first.  There is an argument to be made that having 2 firsts and a couple 25 year olds on good contracts might be a better position than 3 firsts and crappy contracts.

(02-09-2024, 11:59 AM)mvossman Wrote: The first we gave up for Gafford was crap.  It cost a pick swap.  If you do the math, we paid a pick swap for Gafford and Omax.

I'm not sure PJ was expensive so much as getting of GWill ASAP was expensive.  That was a costly mistake.  Given your pro PJ stance, wouldn't you expect a rebound such that his market value might approach a first round pick again?  Teams like picks, but sometimes teams like players.  OG didn't cost a single first.  There is an argument to be made that having 2 firsts and a couple 25 year olds on good contracts might be a better position than 3 firsts and crappy contracts.

This is the best argument for optimism, in my opinion. The Mavericks have several players under 27 who are going to continue to improve, and who could potentially be worth quite a bit in the coming years. That’s very true.

Hopefully after we all see the new guys and the dust settles, we'll all be on board with the moves. The roster is a lot more appealing than yesterday.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - SleepingHero - 02-09-2024

NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The Dallas Mavericks were 'determined' to part ways with Grant Williams after he 'rubbed a lot of people the wrong way,' per @espn_macmahon

Notably, he also switched his basketball sneakers from Luka's to Tatum's signature shoes

I really think we'll all look back and be happy that Green was kept. He seems like he's finally blossoming into a critical player.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Unclear if Gafford or PJ can suit up Saturday - Winter - 02-09-2024

(02-09-2024, 11:55 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think I would have skipped the Gafford deal without a second thought, because that pick swap in ’28 (which could be the Mavs swapping out the #1 pick for one in the late 20’s) is just overtly too damn much to pay for a back up at any freaking position, especially center. And before anyone says it, I don’t care about the cost of dumping Holmes, because I believe his expiring could have been useful over the summer or this time next year. I was actually kind of looking forward to having it, truth be told. 

Would you pay that much for a starting center? Gafford is good enough to be a starter on several NBA teams including ours. Stats and minutes I think are relevant. Much of those statistics have been posted. He is still quite young and was being groomed as a starter in Washington.

Furthermore, the center position is rather tricky with a rookie who has to learn to stay out of foul trouble. I can't think of another position on our team so badly in need of an adequate rotation player (and one requested by Luka).