MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 02-04-2024

I don't think anyone would confuse the Mavs for a good defensive team, but last night getting one stop in the fourth seemed impossible. Something else is wrong there. Lillard missed one shot last night. In two games against dallas, Giannis has 36 shots in the lane and has made 89% of them. I get it. Giannis does that to most teams and Lillard is still really good when he is making his shots, but that is ridiculous. There more to the defensive ineptitude than talent.

I made a in the moment comment last night that I stick by. I am against any trade giving up future assets at this trade deadline. It is proving time for the coach and GM. If this is not turned around, they are both out. It is time to be a serious organization. Get the best coach and GM money can buy. If your current guys aren't it. I am sorry, It is a business.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - omahen - 02-04-2024

(02-04-2024, 07:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is time to be a serious organization.  Get the best coach and GM money can buy.  If your current guys aren't it.  I am sorry, It is a business.

I totally agree, but I am affraid it is total wishful thinking. That should be done after Nelson and Carlisle were out. If Cuban didn't understand it as necessary then, he will never understand it now. Seems like Cuban likes to surround himself with friends that give him advice he likes. I am of course just an outside observers, but everything in the history points to this conclusion. Parsons, Gambler, FO full of former players and friends. Nico had zero GM experience and Kidd had very questionable coaching career yet Cuban thought they are the guys to build a team around a guy that wants to win.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Winter - 02-04-2024

(02-04-2024, 09:05 AM)omahen Wrote: I totally agree, but I am affraid it is total wishful thinking. That should be done after Nelson and Carlisle were out. If Cuban didn't understand it as necessary then, he will never understand it now. Seems like Cuban likes to surround himself with friends that give him advice he likes. I am of course just an outside observers, but everything in the history points to this conclusion. Parsons, Gambler, FO full of former players and friends. Nico had zero GM experience and Kidd had very questionable coaching career yet Cuban thought they are the guys to build a team around a guy that wants to win.

I agree in spirit with this. I don't think this will change with Cuban. Perhaps the owners will lean on this now, but I don't think that happens until Cuban steps down. 

I'm willing to give Nico a fighting chance, but Kidd's contract needs to be performance-related.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-04-2024

https://x.com/biasedslightly/status/1754166416574447891?s=46

The last two seasons have been the worst I can ever remember injury wise as a Mavs season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - MFFL - 02-04-2024

The Mavericks appear destined to easily surpass last season’s 181 games lost to injury or illness and perhaps rival their 239 games lost in 2021-22, though if the basketball gods have any mercy, Dallas won’t approach the 297 games lost in 2017-18 or the franchise-record 363 games of 1997-98.

From the DMN

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - RoyTarpleysGhost - 02-04-2024

Mavs G Kyrie Irving is listed as probable vs. 76ers tomorrow after missing six games due to sprained right thumb. Luka Doncic is questionable after aggravating his sore right ankle. Dante Exum (knee) and Dereck Lively II (broken nose) are out. Lively is scheduled for surgery.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Scott41theMavs - 02-04-2024

(02-04-2024, 06:36 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Mavs G Kyrie Irving is listed as probable vs. 76ers tomorrow after missing six games due to sprained right thumb. Luka Doncic is questionable after aggravating his sore right ankle. Dante Exum (knee) and Dereck Lively II (broken nose) are out. Lively is scheduled for surgery.

How long will the surgery keep Lively out? That's a crippler.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 02-04-2024

(02-04-2024, 08:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How long will the surgery keep Lively out? That's a crippler.

Usually if the nose is displaced and needs to be reset in order for them to breathe, it could take 4-6 weeks with no contact before he can return.

But it depends on the severity of the break and what they need to do. If Lively can breathe fine and the odds of it getting displaced with a mask is low (like where the break actually is on the nose) he can return within the week.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - HoosierDaddyKidd - 02-04-2024

(02-04-2024, 10:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Usually if the nose is displaced and needs to be reset in order for them to breathe, it could take 4-6 weeks with no contact before he can return.

But it depends on the severity of the break and what they need to do. If Lively can breathe fine and the odds of it getting displaced with a mask is low (like where the break actually is on the nose) he can return within the week.

Pretty sure he can be outfitted with a mask. Bradley Beal is playing with one now. I guess it depends on how serious it is. I would think it shouldn't keep him out very long. They need him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 02-05-2024

(02-04-2024, 11:16 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Pretty sure he can be outfitted with a mask. Bradley Beal is playing with one now. I guess it depends on how serious it is. I would think it shouldn't keep him out very long. They need him.

Most of the time with nose fractures it all depends on how well the person can breathe and the type of fracture sustained. Nasal fractures are unique because the bones require the least amount of force out of all the ones in the face before they're fractured. It can break in several places depending on where the majority of force was sustained.

If Lively requires an open reduction surgical procedure (where the ortho actually has to go in and reset the bones) then he HAS to sit out at the minimum 4-6 weeks. The risk of refracture is too great. 

If Lively just needs to have his bones manually reset, then he MOST LIKELY could return with a face mask. The fact he's already practiced with a face mask makes me optimistic that he can return within the week. The Mavs are being openly vague about the "procedure" Lively needs. But hopefully he's ok. All-Star break is next week which means he might not miss too much time if the worst case scenario happens.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 02-06-2024

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2/6/24062464/dallas-mavericks-luka-doncic-role-players

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - DanSchwartzgan - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 08:06 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2/6/24062464/dallas-mavericks-luka-doncic-role-players

That was really good (and long).  Gives you a sense of the plan (or Rob's interpretation of the plan).  Long, athletic, good citizen.  Doesn't have to be the star, but capable of scoring on nights a star is out.  I liked this section where he quotes Josh.  I've long thought someone who can do what he does when needed and just be a connector when he's not is extremely valuable.  I personally like him starting as it gets him away from shot-hunting Hardaway.  To me, Exum's game is more suited next to THJ (assuming THJ is still here after Thursday afternoon).  

You get the impression Jones is valued, but maybe in a role where his offensive weaknesses aren't so exposed.  Bringing in a 4/3 on a team that already has Jones, GWill and Maxi willl cause a log-jam unless one of them is outgoing. Bringing in a scorer/creator like Kuzma (mentioned in the article) causes even fewer shots for the non-stars if Hardaway is still around.  To me, GWill and THJ are the logical outgoing players in such a deal.  I feel kind of bad for them having to play this week while dealing with that.

And because of the way Doncic searches for and seizes advantages, the supporting Mavs never really know how involved they’ll be. “Some games, you’ll get 10 shots,” Green says. “Other games, you get two.” Not everyone is built for that, and some NBA players lose their bearings after long stretches without touching the ball. Operating on the periphery is a test of focus, but more than that, it requires a player to generate their own energy, because the momentum of play won’t always be there to carry them.

It’s not a coincidence that so many of the bright spots of this Mavericks season are self-starters. Lively chases down rebounds well out of his zone. Exum is one of the most active and intuitive cutters Doncic has ever played with. Jones can go from standing in place on the wing to soaring for a tip dunk in an instant. “There’s a lot of amazing scorers in the league and they need the ball in their hands,” Harrison says. “But they’re not better than Luka. So now we need guys that can complement that. If you watch Luka, he’s gonna give you shots that are so wide open that you almost don’t know what to do. You have so much time. So we need guys that can actually feed off that.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 09:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That was really good (and long).  Gives you a sense of the plan (or Rob's interpretation of the plan).  Long, athletic, good citizen.  Doesn't have to be the star, but capable of scoring on nights a star is out.  I liked this section where he quotes Josh.  I've long thought someone who can do what he does when needed and just be a connector when he's not is extremely valuable.  I personally like him starting as it gets him away from shot-hunting Hardaway.  To me, Exum's game is more suited next to THJ (assuming THJ is still here after Thursday afternoon).  

You get the impression Jones is valued, but maybe in a role where his offensive weaknesses aren't so exposed.  Bringing in a 4/3 on a team that already has Jones, GWill and Maxi willl cause a log-jam unless one of them is outgoing. Bringing in a scorer/creator like Kuzma (mentioned in the article) causes even fewer shots for the non-stars if Hardaway is still around.  To me, GWill and THJ are the logical outgoing players in such a deal.  I feel kind of bad for them having to play this week while dealing with that.

And because of the way Doncic searches for and seizes advantages, the supporting Mavs never really know how involved they’ll be. “Some games, you’ll get 10 shots,” Green says. “Other games, you get two.” Not everyone is built for that, and some NBA players lose their bearings after long stretches without touching the ball. Operating on the periphery is a test of focus, but more than that, it requires a player to generate their own energy, because the momentum of play won’t always be there to carry them.

It’s not a coincidence that so many of the bright spots of this Mavericks season are self-starters. Lively chases down rebounds well out of his zone. Exum is one of the most active and intuitive cutters Doncic has ever played with. Jones can go from standing in place on the wing to soaring for a tip dunk in an instant. “There’s a lot of amazing scorers in the league and they need the ball in their hands,” Harrison says. “But they’re not better than Luka. So now we need guys that can complement that. If you watch Luka, he’s gonna give you shots that are so wide open that you almost don’t know what to do. You have so much time. So we need guys that can actually feed off that.”

yeah, I liked it.  Exum and Jones were both real big parts of the article.  You can make the case that too much of the article.  Both have been good signings.    Jones is down to 31% from three and 31% from corner threes per Iztok.   Even with defense and energy, I wonder if he is the one who loses minutes if his shot does not come around.   Teams are leaving him wide open and he hasn't made them pay.   Exum has been even better, but you need to worry about him being available.    Maybe it was two bad luck injuries, but I think he is always going to be a player who misses games.

The comment Josh makes has been one of my concerns for years.  It is tough to play basketball when you don't touch the ball for a few minutes  and then get it when you are wide open.  On the other hand, having Luka and Kyrie with the ball typically leads to good success.   While I would like more ball movement, I think you can also let Josh and our other guards at least dribble down the court and then get the ball to Kyrie or Luka.  At least they touch the ball then.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - KillerLeft - 02-06-2024

Totally agree about the logjam, Dan. it would be nearly self-destructive to bring in a high-minute 4 with both Williams and DJJ remaining on the roster. Kleber can be third in that pecking order because he’s going to be 2nd or 3rd for the 5, too, and that’s about right for him. But one of those first two guys is going to become pretty unsettled almost immediately.

That’s basically what I’ve been saying this whole time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - omahen - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 09:04 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I liked this section where he quotes Josh.  I've long thought someone who can do what he does when needed and just be a connector when he's not is extremely valuable.  I personally like him starting as it gets him away from shot-hunting Hardaway.  

I think we will never find common ground on this one Smile

What you interpret as a stregth, I interpret as a weakness. THJ has zero problem launching 15 shots per game and he launched less than 10 shots only four times this season. Never less than 6. So this connector role doesn't apply for all guys playing next to Luka and Kyrie. I am not advocating selfish play, but Mavs need another offensive weapon. And those guys do take something for themselves, I guess its a little bit of what makes you an offensive weapon. Mavs just need that guy to also be a good defender and Green could take it. Putting it simply - if he will be "the connector", he will be MLE level guy. If he will take his own here and there, he has a chance to be much more. Depending of course on efficiency.

I really like a more aggresive version of Green past couple of games. His four games with most shots taken all came in 2024. 

One thing I wonder - if THJ and his 15 shots are out of the game - how much better will rest of non Luka/Kyrie guys look like? I assume Luka and Kyrie "take" theirs every night and wouldn't expect much of a change. With all the injuries and experiments they had, this one is the one that was barely tested. THJ missed three games and Mavs lost two of them. However, one of them was also without Luka and the other without Kyrie.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - DanSchwartzgan - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 09:29 AM)Chicagojk. Wrote: The comment Josh makes has been one of my concerns for years.  It is tough to play basketball when you don't touch the ball for a few minutes  and then get it when you are wide open.  On the other hand, having Luka and Kyrie with the ball typically leads to good success.   While I would like more ball movement, I think you can also let Josh and our other guards at least dribble down the court and then get the ball to Kyrie or Luka.  At least they touch the ball then.

I used to play with a heliocentric ball handler (or someone who thought he should be heliocentric).  It is maddening not knowing when a pass was coming…especially when you are wide open and he’s going 1 v 3.  

They often let Josh bring the ball up with no real purpose other than giving Luka a break and letting Josh touch the ball.  So, they seem to realize there is a benefit to letting Josh get a touch.  It is usually a sign they are about that double pick thing where Luka gets the ball anyway.  They run that same play for Josh a time or two a half.  But, Josh usually doesn’t drive it unless the lane is wide open.  Josh’s assists last night were all pretty impressive.  There is value to Josh having the ball and doing things other than scoring.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Winter - 02-06-2024

One of things that play into this is how much value the FO places in Josh. It appears the organization sees something in him they value... even if it doesn't match up every game with how fans see it. Perhaps they see him increasing the pace in a way few other Mavs can.

We know the Mavs have turned down other trades in other years because they made Josh unavailable. It will be interesting to see after the deadline whether the Mavs were made an offer on Josh or if any trade was impacted by his inclusion.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - surfpuckmd - 02-06-2024

(02-04-2024, 08:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How long will the surgery keep Lively out? That's a crippler.

It should be around two weeks.  There are splints they place through both nostrils and those typically stay in for about a week.  These really limit breathing through the nose and it would be difficult to play an NBA game during that span.  

After those are removed, it's easier to breathe through the nose.  I would anticipate another week of recovery then they can fit him with a mask and he should be able to return nearly full-strength.  

A non-professional athlete would be expected to refrain from heavy physical exertion for 4-6 weeks total but an NBA athlete won't have that same limitation.  He'll be about around 2 weeks, possibly even a little less.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - KillerLeft - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 09:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The comment Josh makes has been one of my concerns for years.  It is tough to play basketball when you don't touch the ball for a few minutes  and then get it when you are wide open.  On the other hand, having Luka and Kyrie with the ball typically leads to good success.   While I would like more ball movement, I think you can also let Josh and our other guards at least dribble down the court and then get the ball to Kyrie or Luka.  At least they touch the ball then.

Yeah, that paragraph was the main takeaway of the whole article for me. It’s harder to build a basketball team around a guy like Luka than we might realize. As much as I admire him and worship his game, I really kind of miss the days when the Mavericks moved the ball.

This is not a suggestion that the Mavericks would be better off without Doncic, obviously. I just wish they could find a happy medium between heliocentric and the ball movement styles. Seems like the only thing they’ve tried to do to balance out the heliocentric is to run more in transition. To me, that is a good start, but not enough.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 08:06 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2/6/24062464/dallas-mavericks-luka-doncic-role-players

Best part of this article for me?
Quote:Some of that is pure instinct, and some of it came from the fact that Lively reported to Dallas early, and spent his time nailing down screening technique with Mavs assistant Sean Sweeney. Together, they hammered out different styles of screen for different styles of coverage. “You’ve gotta know who’s going under, who are they going under on, who are they fighting over, who are they gonna double,” Lively says. He was locked into the details from the jump. From the Mavs’ very first preseason game in Abu Dhabi, Lively was the starter by default.

I can't believe I underestimated the dude. I really was a non-believer. He shut me up. Go Lively!