MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think the concerning part wasn´t just @mavsluvr leaving but a number of posters joining him because they didn´t agree with the way the situation was handled. And it´s concerning that it seems like we haven´t learned anything from the fall out.

What are you desiring that I learn?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - ItsGoTime - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:46 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s why I refered to the @"mavsluvr" situation. I think one of the main takeaways was that even if it isn´t intended as a mod intervention patronizing posts or call outs from a mod come with a certain level of authority. Even if it isn´t intended. Cannot turn the mod hat on/off.
Ok, I can respect that opinion. How can we, as moderators, make that type of post without people thinking we are moderating them? I don’t know in this situation how we can actually be true to ourselves, while it not posing the threat of moderation?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - dirkfansince1998 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:47 AM)Kammrath Wrote: What are you desiring that I learn?

Not about you as a person. About the way we as a community handle this. Either standards that are enforced more strictly for all posters. Or even less moderation and total anarchy.
I applaud you because for the most part you are the one that is performing the ungrateful task. The conflicts are a part of the role and I don´t think I would handle it any better.  That´s why I always supported you in your role. And never joined the @"Kammrath" needs to be removed crowd.
Up to other posters to step up (and of cause that also includes me) and do more.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:54 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not about you as a person. About the way we as a community handle this. Either standards that are enforced more strictly for all posters. Or even less moderation and total anarchy.
I applaud you because for the most part you are the one that is performing the ungrateful task. The conflicts are a part of the role and I don´t think I would handle it any better.  That´s why I always supported you in your role. And never joined the @Kammrath needs to be removed crowd.
Up to other posters to step up (and of cause that also includes me) and do more.

I too wish we had more consistency. I just do not know how to achieve it. 

I honestly don't read this board like I am a moderator and need to be "watching out" for anything. So I only respond when something catches my attention. So inevitably my biases are a huge part of that, my pet peeves are the things I will respond to (e.g. jumping on a new person or misrepresenting the opinions of others in a blatant and purposeful way). I personally don't have the energy or desire to be in "consistent policing" mode, I do that enough with my kids and it is exhausting.

I personally think we do a pretty good job, overall. But would love the community as a whole to continue to improve.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - ItsGoTime - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:58 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I too wish we had more consistency. I just do not know how to achieve it. 

I honestly don't read this board like I am a moderator and need to be "watching out" for anything. So I only respond when something catches my attention. So inevitably my biases are a huge part of that, my pet peeves are the things I will respond to (e.g. jumping on a new person or misrepresenting the opinions of others in a blatant and purposeful way). I personally don't have the energy or desire to be in "consistent policing" mode, I do that enough with my kids and it is exhausting.

I personally think we do a pretty good job, overall. But would love the community as a whole to continue to improve.
This is what I’m trying to figure out. Sure we’re mods, but we were posters first, I think most of us still feel we are posters first. I’ve read just about every post made on all iterations of this board over the years (I have an obsessive need to make all bolded titles unbolded, the right way), when I see a conflict between posters, I hardly ever start out thinking, “do I need to moderate this situation?”. I keep reading and try to see how it plays out, like I always have. It’s not till tempers get out of hand where I think “oh crap, it’s my job to take care of this”.

I guess after reading the rules we made for the board, respect is the one thing we wanted to have here. That word is pretty ambiguous and the line drawn as to where the rule is crossed can be set at different spots for each of us moderators. It can also be drawn at different spots for each poster. 

In general, we want respect in the truest form of the word, but that is not realistic, as rules in general that are strictly enforced is not a realistic way to moderate. So, I think the way most of us have tried to do things is to first try to de-escalate when a member gets their feathers ruffled in an outburst way. I think at times we get the offender a bit wrong and sometimes tend to moderate the offended because they are the ones disrupting the peace more than the offender (they also usually join in on the disrespect, so their moderation is warranted), but we always talk out the things we could do better with eachother.

We’ll always be a work in progress, that you can be sure of.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - IamDougieFresh - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 03:45 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Not trying to disrespect you chief, but we’re you high when you wrote this? Because this is exactly the type of thing I would think of on some delta 8 gummies. I can just imagine myself now, high as fuck, chilling with some friends, eating some cool ranch Doritos thinking I just had the most profound thought.

“Guys here me out. If Hardy becomes exactly like Luka he will be top 20 all time. You know what I’m saying?”

Fellows I was attempting to make fun of myself and not anyone else, but it seems I worded this poorly after not being able to sleep.

Apologies to @"radix". Please don’t be scared to post because of this. I would love to see more posts from you.

I actually agree with you and am really hopeful Hardy is going to be great.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - SleepingHero - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 02:32 AM)radix Wrote: Hardy is a gym rat. He wants to get better. Hardy will probably study Luka. And it just so happens that Hardy's current weaknesses are Luka's strengths. Hardy lacks change of pace, decision making with the ball and getting separation with patience and control. If Hardy models after Luka, these things will become strengths. Hardy already has the pure shooting stroke and ability to move without the ball. If he adds Luka style magic to his game the way Brunson did, in 2-3 years he will be an all-star. His ceiling is high. 

Very high.

I can't explain how badly I want you to be correct. 

We'll see. I was one of the few that wanted Hardy drafted. I believe in his talent. But history tells me it's going to take a while, if ever, for Hardy to become a solid role player much less an all-star.

(07-12-2022, 11:31 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Fellows I was attempting to make fun of myself and not anyone else, but it seems I worded this poorly after not being able to sleep.

Apologies to @radix. Please don’t be scared to post because of this. I would love to see more posts from you.

I actually agree with you and am really hopeful Hardy is going to be great.

My bad for misunderstanding you. Thanks for clearing this up so humbly. 

Glad to have @"radix" and you posting!

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1546910027839115265

Is this speculation or reporting from Cato???

Wood off the bench? Props to @"F Gump" if true. I was absolutely incredulous at the idea.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - cow - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1546910027839115265

Is this speculation or reporting from Cato???

Wood off the bench? Props to @"F Gump" if true. I was absolutely incredulous at the idea.

I'd still be a little worried about Wood's headspace but if McGee does start as has been said, he's still a very limited minutes guy so Wood can get starters minutes without starting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - SleepingHero - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Is this speculation or reporting from Cato???

Wood off the bench? Props to @F Gump if true. I was absolutely incredulous at the idea.

Quote:Jason Kidd has declared that Spencer Dinwiddie and JaVale McGee will be starters, joining incumbent starters Dončić and Dorian Finney-Smith. I’ve been told the team’s planning to keep Reggie Bullock as the fifth starter. As things currently stand, the team’s splashiest acquisition this summer, Christian Wood, will come off the bench.

Makes zero sense to not start Wood. I can't imagine Wood would be happy about that either. I know Cato is citing his sources, but I just have a hard time believing the Mavs trade for Wood and not start him day 1 and move DFS to the 3.

Someone also asked in the comments: 
Is Wood coming off the bench an educated guess on your part? Or is it something you know as an insider?
And Cato replied just now saying:
I’ve been told this. I’m reporting it. Things can change but that’s the outlook as we stand now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - StepBackJay - 07-12-2022

"Jason Kidd has declared that Spencer Dinwiddie and JaVale McGee will be starters, joining incumbent starters Dončić and Dorian Finney-Smith. I’ve been told the team’s planning to keep Reggie Bullock as the fifth starter. As things currently stand, the team’s splashiest acquisition this summer, Christian Wood, will come off the bench."

Props to @"F Gump" for calling this. I thought he was crazy lol but here we are. 

I like Mavs are sticking with 1 big. I do feel like Wood will start at some point, this could be a carrot for him and also paying off a promise to McGee that he would start (for a while).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Makes zero sense to not start Wood. I can't imagine Wood would be happy about that either. I know Cato is citing his sources, but I just have a hard time believing the Mavs trade for Wood and not start him day 1 and move DFS to the 3.

Someone also asked in the comments: 
Is Wood coming off the bench an educated guess on your part? Or is it something you know as an insider?
And Cato replied just now saying:
I’ve been told this. I’m reporting it. Things can change but that’s the outlook as we stand now.

Thanks for peaking behind the paywall for us. 

Well @"KillerLeft" your coveted play style is still intact!

I do think all of this is MASSIVELY tentative. I am still very confident there is at least one trade to come.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - omahen - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Is this speculation or reporting from Cato???

Seems like reporting based on Kidd statement. So Kidd said SD and McGee will start and Bullock remains in the starting five. I will state a couple of facts and I kindly ask if someone could explain the Mavs logic to me, please.

1. Wood>>>>McGee
2. McGee is projected to play 15 minutes per game.
3. Wood will likely play 30 minutes per game
4. Players take pride in starting, it means something to them.
5. Wood will be UFA next season
6. Wood will be a coveted FA if he has a good season

So based on all this, Mavs decide to start McGee and bring Wood of the bench. Seems very "smartest person in the room" decision. What the hell prevents them from starting Wood and bring McGee in as his replacement??? In the end it will be same minutes distribution.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:51 PM)omahen Wrote: What the hell prevents them from starting Wood and bring McGee in as his replacement??? In the end it will be same minutes distribution.

My guess from what I have seen:

Preserving as much of the dynamic and chemistry from last year. 

I personally cannot imagine any other motivation that makes sense.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - cow - 07-12-2022

I still say who starts at the five is going to be very fluid and highly dependent on the matchup.  Let McGee wrestle with the Jokic's and Embiid's of the league and start Wood against lesser opponents and other times start both just to piss KL off.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - omahen - 07-12-2022

Another note from Cato. He sort of confirms (based on EU reporting) Dorsey will come on a two way deal and that they might leave the last roster spot open if he plays well and convert him to regular contract. 

Adds another thing that doesn't make a lot of sense by naming Dorsey a 3-D prospect. Dorsey is 26 and can't really be considered a project anymore. He is who he is.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench?? - sterlingmallory - 07-12-2022

I am really glad I don't gamble because I would have bet everything I have that Wood would start. I thought the same thing about signing Dragic. This offseason has taught me that I truly have no idea what the FO has planned, and I don't even mean that as an insult to them, they could very well be right. Every assumption I've made about how this offseason would go has been dead wrong lol.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Jommybone - 07-12-2022

Come on now, guys. We still think Gump is crazy. Just have to remove this one thing from the list of reasons why.

Starter label (1) helps in negotiating with McGee this summer and (2) creates an excuse to low-ball Wood next summer.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | CW off bench? - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My guess from what I have seen:

Preserving as much of the dynamic and chemistry from last year. 

I personally cannot imagine any other motivation that makes sense.

Real quick expansion on my thought:

Make CW come off the bench to start the year and "prove" himself from a fit and chemistry standpoint. Assuming the fit works then you bring him into the starting lineup either as the C or PF. Maybe the Mavs don't know yet which position to play him primarily in.