MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - HoosierDaddyKidd - 01-30-2024

(01-30-2024, 01:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: Don't think Kobe belongs on that list.  I think Kobe is in the Dirk tier.

Your list would be the only one. Kobe is definitely one notch under MJ. He modeled his game after him, plus he was a great defender as well like MJ. Dirk isn't in the same neighborhood as Kobe.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Mavs2021 - 01-31-2024

(01-30-2024, 07:20 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Ouch.  May need to skip as well.  Can we at least get weird?  No 30 minutes of Morris, maxi and Set.  Onax 30 minutes.  Maybe even Greg Brown.  Pair the two way guard with Hardy.  

The Kyrie thing is getting frustrating.  I do t want to push players with injuries but he sure seems to get dinged quite a bit and is always slow to return.  It is what it is though.  If it happens in a playoff series though, I won’t be singing the same note.

11-9 without him
15-12 with him

Not suggesting this team would be better without him, especially in the play-offs, given our dire situation on offense, but the regular season trend from the previous teams continues that he basically makes no difference to the W-L record.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - KillerLeft - 01-31-2024

(01-31-2024, 01:06 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 11-9 without him
15-12 with him

Not suggesting this team would be better without him, especially in the play-offs, given our dire situation on offense, but the regular season trend from the previous teams continues that he basically makes no difference to the W-L record.

I don’t have a passionate need to oppose this take, but some of those “with him” wins are without Luka, right? That’s kind of a game changer for the Mavs, as modestly high as that bar is set.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Mavs2021 - 01-31-2024

(01-31-2024, 09:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t have a passionate need to oppose this take, but some of those “with him” wins are without Luka, right? That’s kind of a game changer for the Mavs, as modestly high as that bar is set.

3-2 in games without Luka.

0-2 without both.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - KillerLeft - 01-31-2024

(01-31-2024, 10:00 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 3-2 in games without Luka.

0-2 without both.

So not a huge sample size, but I'd guess that would be 1-6 or 2-5 without Kyrie. It's not nothing with the Western Conference so tight.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - mvossman - 01-31-2024

(01-31-2024, 09:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t have a passionate need to oppose this take, but some of those “with him” wins are without Luka, right? That’s kind of a game changer for the Mavs, as modestly high as that bar is set.

The other question is what is Luka's minutes with Kyrie and with out?  We are running Luka into the ground when Kyrie is out, and its going to cost Luka games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - DanSchwartzgan - 02-01-2024

[Image: GFQ1EXQW4AALom3?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - omahen - 02-01-2024

February strength of schedule. Mavs 13th toughest. Sacramento has tougher schedule, New Orleans and Phoenix considerably easier one

https://www.nba.com/news/february-2024-strength-of-schedule

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-01-2024

On Cato's latest podcast he hinted that the Mavs expect all 5 starters to be back on Saturday (although I don't think Exum will be starting over Josh right now). Can we PLEASE keep this roster healthy for any string of time???

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - HoosierDaddyKidd - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 02:02 PM)omahen Wrote: February strength of schedule. Mavs 13th toughest. Sacramento has tougher schedule, New Orleans and Phoenix considerably easier one

https://www.nba.com/news/february-2024-strength-of-schedule

Looks like the also ran and middle of the road teams have the toughest schedules. That's odd ?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 02-01-2024

[Image: 1753193370762248694.jpg?ex=65ceb8fd&is=6...ecd87d2f8&]

Kyrie has a discord or something? Not sure where this is from but someone screenshotted it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 02-02-2024

[Image: 1753210793422651903.jpg?ex=65cf9459&is=6...eight=1016]

More Kyrie discord stuff. I have no clue what Discord he's in but it seems entertaining.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 02-02-2024

snake bit....

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1753486089552367730

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1753487479083339956

(02-02-2024, 12:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: 1753210793422651903.jpg?ex=65cf9459&is=6...eight=1016]

More Kyrie discord stuff. I have no clue what Discord he's in but it seems entertaining.

Cool that he can type with the use of one thumb.  

I am sorry, I am getting negative.   The injury thing is really getting to me.  LOL.   Even if it is legit injuries.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 02-02-2024

Exum out on Saturday as well. It is a real shame that after the Plantar issue he gets a knee. The knee is potentially more concerning because he has had problems with knees before. It certainly feels like he is going to be a guy you watch his minutes real carefully moving forward.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 02-03-2024

I watched a little of the G-league game last night. Let me add first, I have no idea what they want Omax to focus on and I have no idea what transfers from the G-league to NBA success. Omax leaves me wanting more though. He tends to disappear on the the court and just get stuck in the corner. Then he will make a really impressive play and bully ball a player for a really nice finish. Then he disappears again. Then he makes a really impressive defensive play. Then he disappears again. He seems a little confused getting into offensive sets too. Plus, when he gets stuck in the corner. He tends to stay there and doesn't go to the ball and get it when someone has it. It is a small thing but you would really like to see him demand things more. He is playing with some former NBA players though.

He had 18 and 13 in a loss in 42 minutes. I have noticed he typically doesn't get more than 15 shots. He seems to get less than that in a lot of games. It is not just the shots though, very little of the offense goes through him. The frustrating part is if you see the highlights you will see 4,5,6,7 really good plays. There just needs to be more of good plays outside of the highlights imo.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - dirkfansince1998 - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 08:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I watched a little of the G-league game last night.  Let me add first, I have no idea what they want Omax to focus on and I have no idea what transfers from the G-league to NBA success.  Omax leaves me wanting more though.  He tends to disappear on the the court and just get stuck in the corner.  Then he will make a really impressive play and bully ball a player for a really nice finish.  Then he disappears again.  Then he makes a really impressive defensive play.  Then he disappears again.  He seems a little confused getting into offensive sets too.  Plus, when he gets stuck in the corner.  He tends to stay there and doesn't go to the ball and get it when someone has it.  It is a small thing but you would really like to see him demand things more.  He is playing with some former NBA players though.

He had 18 and 13 in a loss in 42 minutes.    I have noticed he typically doesn't get more than 15 shots.  He seems to get less than that in a lot of games.  It is not just the shots though, very little of the offense goes through him.  The frustrating part is if you see the highlights you will see 4,5,6,7 really good plays.    There just needs to be more of good plays outside of the highlights imo.

He is in and out of the g-league rotation. Probably not easy to make the adjustment from being an end of the bench guy to starter over night. As you already mentioned the Mavs g-league roster with Pinson/Jackson has some NBA vets that are probably higher in the pecking order. Add shot first guards like Walker and Miles Jr and there aren't a lot of touches left for the rest. Including OMax.
In my opinion that's not the worst scenario because he is going to have a similar role in the NBA. I don't think that it would help him to run 20+ pick&roll actions per game in the g-league. More important to focus on the stuff that he needs to do to earn a spot in the Mavs rotation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 02-03-2024

Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Dallas Mavericks Record Overview:

Overall: 26-22
Doncic Plays: 23-17
No Doncic: 3-5
Irving Plays: 15-12
No Irving: 11-10
Lively Plays: 22-14
No Lively: 4-8
Doncic + Irving Plays: 12-10
Doncic + Lively Plays: 21-12
Irving + Lively Plays: 12-8
Doncic + Irving + Lively Plays: 11-7

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - youzigizag - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 08:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I watched a little of the G-league game last night.  Let me add first, I have no idea what they want Omax to focus on and I have no idea what transfers from the G-league to NBA success.  Omax leaves me wanting more though.  He tends to disappear on the the court and just get stuck in the corner.  Then he will make a really impressive play and bully ball a player for a really nice finish.  Then he disappears again.  Then he makes a really impressive defensive play.  Then he disappears again.  He seems a little confused getting into offensive sets too.  Plus, when he gets stuck in the corner.  He tends to stay there and doesn't go to the ball and get it when someone has it.  It is a small thing but you would really like to see him demand things more.  He is playing with some former NBA players though.

He had 18 and 13 in a loss in 42 minutes.    I have noticed he typically doesn't get more than 15 shots.  He seems to get less than that in a lot of games.  It is not just the shots though, very little of the offense goes through him.  The frustrating part is if you see the highlights you will see 4,5,6,7 really good plays.    There just needs to be more of good plays outside of the highlights imo.

I need to see him rip more rebounds away from guys or win the battle for rebounds.

He seems to fumble and flop around as opposed to control his body and strongly snatch a board.

I would like to see him in the G-League with specific instructions to just rebound as hard has you can and play defense as hard as you can...and see what he looks like.

As of right now...he is big, long and athletic.   He can cause disruption with his size but needs to polish a few things up.   He is active on finding a player to box out when a shot is put up and he is good at attacking the rim from perimeter and decent at finishing.

I want to see better boards and more staunch defense.   His 3 shot is going to take a couple of years most likely.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 11:25 AM)youzigizag Wrote: I need to see him rip more rebounds away from guys or win the battle for rebounds.

He seems to fumble and flop around as opposed to control his body and strongly snatch a board.

I would like to see him in the G-League with specific instructions to just rebound as hard has you can and play defense as hard as you can...and see what he looks like.

As of right now...he is big, long and athletic.   He can cause disruption with his size but needs to polish a few things up.   He is active on finding a player to box out when a shot is put up and he is good at attacking the rim from perimeter and decent at finishing.

I want to see better boards and more staunch defense.   His 3 shot is going to take a couple of years most likely.

That is fair.  I just have seen some portions of games and I leave wanting more.  On the other hand, I just looked at his stats in 9 G league games.  He is averaging a tad under 18 points on 11 shots per game, 9 rebounds, 39 % from three on 4.6 attempts.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 02-04-2024

Quote:Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
Luka Doncic said he “felt a pop” in his already sore right ankle when it got twisted under him and Giannis Antetokounmpo landed on him. “We’ll see tomorrow.”

Ankle strength/flexibility is an emphasis of Doncic’s conditioning work. “So it's better than if I did it last year.”

Crazy how this season is seemingly taking a nosedive due to injuries.

Landon Thomas (@sixfivelando)
Luka Dončić on his ankle:

“It’s the same ankle. It’s okay, I just heard it pop…. It’s pretty strong now, it’s better than if I did that last year, it would’ve been worse. But this year, almost every day I work on this ankle so it’s good.”

Notice the difference in reporting on the quote between McMahon and Thomas. Both reported the same quote, you're left with very different takeaways though. This is why McMahon is a fucking hack