MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-26-2024

Chuck ain’t 6’4”, that would be crazy.

He’s listed at 6’6”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb - Chicagojk - 01-26-2024

I didn't buy into the report that Grant Williams came in bulked up and over his playing weight. I guess that report is true as Williams said he has lost 20 pounds ( I think that was the number he said) since the season began. My question is, who in the coaching staff and front office thought he should bulk up and add weight? Grant is naturally strong, but for me the leaner the better for him. He is always going to be able to bump players...he is built like a brick. But quickness for him is so important. I just don't understand why they either communicated to come in bigger or even worse did not have in depth conversations on what weight they want him at.

Jason Terry - Jason Terry - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 09:46 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I didn't buy into the report that Grant Williams came in bulked up and over his playing weight.  I guess that report is true as Williams said he has lost 20 pounds ( I think that was the number he said) since the season began.  My question is, who in the coaching staff and front office thought he should bulk up and add weight?  Grant is naturally strong, but for me the leaner the better for him.  He is always going to be able to bump players...he is built like a brick.  But quickness for him is so important.  I just don't understand why they either communicated to come in bigger or even worse did not have in depth conversations on what weight they want him at.
I see it more as media/coaches giving Grant an excuse for showing up out of shape to start the year. He’s just 25. He just got a real contract for the first time. He slacked off. Good thing is it looks like he feels bad about it and is trying to right the ship. I still think he could fit well with our roster. I would trade him if it was a big piece we were getting back, but his value is low and it’s probably best for asset management to hold GWill stock and give it some time. Other players who will never fit should be the first ones out the door

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-26-2024

Was going back through last years trends and it’s still odd to me that we were also 24-20 last year. We went 10-14 over the next 24 games dropping us back to .500. I think this will be the stretch to see if this team is any better. It would have been a very different look last year if we went 14-10 instead and that should be an achievable goal.

(01-26-2024, 10:18 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Was going back through last years trends and it’s still odd to me that we were also 24-20 last year. We went 10-14 over the next 24 games dropping us back to .500. I think this will be the stretch to see if this team is any better. It would have been a very different look last year if we went 14-10 instead and that should be an achievable goal.

This year felt much different.  Last year from the start was such a slog.   There was no joy in watching them play last year.  

The double digit losses this year are definitely concerning though.   You want a mentally tough team that competes hard.   This years team has shown way too many times that they don't bring it every game.  That is bad news.  

They feel to be falling into the same rut as last year.  Can they pull themselves out?  Most teams get into ruts.  Most good teams withstand them and grow.   We will see.  It is going to be a real depressing offseason if things don't improve.  You can have one really sucky year.   2 is a trend and everyone questions if this is the right place for them. 

One thing I am surprised isn't debated more is the heavy minutes for Luka early in the season.  Last season, I brought it all the time.  I thought it was almost a fireable offense Luka would play full halfs in a regular game.  This year hasn't been quite as bad, but there are games (regular average games) where he is taking way too much load.  I don't care what he says.   Kidd has to find ways to get him rest and your job as the coach is find ways to survive those minutes.   Your answer can't be to have Luka play 24 minutes straight.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb - SleepingHero - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 10:33 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This year felt much different.  Last year from the start was such a slog.   There was no joy in watching them play last year.  

The double digit losses this year are definitely concerning though.   You want a mentally tough team that competes hard.   This years team has shown way too many times that they don't bring it every game.  That is bad news.  

They feel to be falling into the same rut as last year.  Can they pull themselves out?  Most teams get into ruts.  Most good teams withstand them and grow.   We will see.  It is going to be a real depressing offseason if things don't improve.  You can have one really sucky year.   2 is a trend and everyone questions if this is the right place for them. 

One thing I am surprised isn't debated more is the heavy minutes for Luka early in the season.  Last season, I brought it all the time.  I thought it was almost a fireable offense Luka would play full halfs in a regular game.  This year hasn't been quite as bad, but there are games (regular average games) where he is taking way too much load.  I don't care what he says.   Kidd has to find ways to get him rest and your job as the coach is find ways to survive those minutes.   Your answer can't be to have Luka play 24 minutes straight.

At the end of the day, as long as Kidd is the "leader" of the team, this team will be mentally weak. 

I didn't know it at the time, but Brunson was the reason why the team was mentally strong.

Kyrie out tonight (yikes, just one injury after the other). OMAX with G-league team. Powell and Maxi both out. Big opp for Holmes to make a play for minutes. Kidd still might not play him in non garbage time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb - Radical Mavs - 01-26-2024

(01-26-2024, 01:49 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kyrie out tonight (yikes, just one injury after the other).  OMAX with G-league team.  Powell and Maxi both out.  Big opp for Holmes to make a play for minutes.  Kidd still might not play him in non garbage time.

What was his contract clause on games played?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb - omahen - 01-26-2024

Damn, will Mavs ever get healthy... First leg of a back2back and most likely Kyrie will also miss the game tomorrow. Sacramento is so lucky, we already played against them on a second leg of the B2B this season. I hope Mavs win at least one of these two games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Kidd actually hasn't spoken to Luka - SleepingHero - 01-26-2024

https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1750700379929452859
@KirkSeriousFace
There’s not a good excuse for this conversation to not happen.

Click for the video

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Kidd actually hasn't spoken to Luka - SleepingHero - 01-26-2024

Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42)
Irving had a $1M bonus in his contract for playing in 65+ games this season.

He will fall short of reaching that incentive.

The bonus was deemed unlikely because Irving played 60 games in 2022-23.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Kidd actually hasn't spoken to Luka - Scott41theMavs - 01-26-2024

Day T-minus 14 heading up to the trade deadline.

[Image: 1751073929190654080.jpg?ex=65c6f324&is=6...height=676]

Basketball Reference (@bball_ref)
Luka Dončić just posted a Game Score of 64.0!

That is the 2nd highest score in our database, behind only Michael Jordan in 1990

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - SleepingHero - 01-27-2024

[Image: 7em2a2p7cwec1.jpeg?width=1123&format=pjp...70f1a02719]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - ThisIStheYear - 01-27-2024

How about an update on DJj? Is it Omax time?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Chicagojk - 01-27-2024

My ask is 10%. Just 10% better on defense. This group will never be very good on defense but can they make it 10% harder for teams to score. That would make a world of difference. Better individual defenders will help, but I think something else is missing. They have some guys playing hard but it just doesn’t feel like they are connected. An extra pass or a drive tends to give up wide open looks. That shouldn’t be happening almost every game. So let’s focus on 10% better. If they do, they are going to be a difficult out.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Winter - 01-27-2024

(01-27-2024, 01:42 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: My ask is 10%.  Just 10% better on defense.  This group will never be very good on defense but can they make it 10% harder for teams to score.  That would make a world of difference.  Better individual defenders will help, but I think something else is missing.  They have some guys playing hard but it just doesn’t feel like they are connected.  An extra pass or a drive tends to give up wide open looks. That shouldn’t be happening almost every game.  So let’s focus on 10% better.  If they do, they are going to be a difficult out.

The other thing I think in regards to our defensive problem is how much of it can attributed to a "style" of play or perhaps a system. We tend to think there's a lack of effort, but I suspect it's a lot more than that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Scott41theMavs - 01-27-2024

(01-27-2024, 01:50 PM)Winter Wrote: The other thing I think in regards to our defensive problem is how much of it can attributed to a "style" of play or perhaps a system. We tend to think there's a lack of effort, but I suspect it's a lot more than that.

...as indicated by Chicago "doesn't feel like they're connected" comment. He answered his own question. New coach. Right now. For the love of all that is good.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - Winter - 01-27-2024

(01-27-2024, 02:22 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: ...as indicated by Chicago "doesn't feel like they're connected" comment. He answered his own question. New coach. Right now. For the love of all that is good.

I don't think a new coach will happen unless we're in the lottery again.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Irving Sprains Right Thumb| Luka Makes History - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-27-2024

DJJ listed as questionable with a wrist sprain. That’s great news. His reaction made me think he had broken it, that was a long way down to fall like that.