MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - SleepingHero - 01-18-2024

Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
The NBA is postponing Friday's Warriors-Mavericks game after the sudden death of Golden State assistant Dejan Milojevic, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Warriors-Jazz was postponed Wednesday night following the tragic passing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - SleepingHero - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 11:11 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: True. I think the smart move is to hold on to him until next season when we can use him as an expiring. 

Speaking of DJJ. I'm becoming less and less excited to make moves to clear space for him. I'd be ok with having him back, but if its me i'm not moving mountains for him.

If anything, DJJ's emergence for a couple of weeks shows just how valuable a consistent 15ppg 2-way wing would be on this team. One that can hit a 3 at league average rate and also create his own shot of the dribble if needed.

Who has that skillset? 

Ideally Mikal Bridges. The Nets don't want to trade him and the Mavs certainly don't have the assets this TDL, but this coming summer? 3 unprotected 1sts and expirings could be enough.

But if not him who else?

Flawed but can hit a 3:
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Jerami Grant
  • Tobias Harris
  • Cam Johnson
  • Lauri Markkannen
  • DFS

All of these guys have their warts, either defensively, attitude wise, contract wise, you name it. But they fill that role of size, being a 2-way player, and can most importantly hit a 3 consistently. Next tier.

Elder statesmen:
  • Joe Ingles
  • Kevin Love
  • Bojan Bogdanovic 
  • Royce O'Neal
  • Danillo Gallinari
  • Harrison Barnes
  • Jeff Green
  • Doug McDermott
  • Gordon Hayward

Can hit a 3 and maybe defend if they're feeling up to it. Next tier. 

I'm also here, but you don't really want me:
  • Draymond Green- I mean... really?
  • DeMar DeRozan- can't hit a 3. Basically DJJ on steroids. 
  • Khris Middleton-injuries have sapped a lot of his effectiveness, especially defensively
  • Klay Thompson- who wants to pony up 150mil for 14ppg on meh shooting?
  • Miles Bridges- Compared to the others, he's a perfectly fine player. But do you really want this guy on the Mavs?
You could argue for any one of these guys and say they could play a role here. But they also have some of the biggest flaws.

The Youngins
  • Deandre Hunter
  • Rui Hachimura
  • Jonathan Kuminga
  • Patrick Williams
  • Saddiq Bey
  • AJ Griffin-massive fall off. 
  • PJ Washington
  • Keldon Johnson

All of these guys are below 25 and can theoretically grow into the role we want. Their costs will vary, and there's a risk they don't pan out. 

Some random role players that might not move the needle:
  • Trey Lyles 
  • Yuta Watanabe
  • Taurean Prince
  • Dario Saric 
  • Santi Aldama
  • Cedi Osman

The Are You Feeling Lucky Punks?
  • Ben Simmons- Draymond Green mental capabilities with more injuries and an even worse jumpshot! Yay!
  • Andrew Wiggins- Mikal Bridges lite. Does everything on paper we're looking for. Might be mentally checked out and ready for retirement.
These guys are the riskiest of the bunch. If it works out you basically solved your issue for pennies on the dollar. If it doesn't? Well time for a rebuild. 

These are all the wings I could think of off the top of my head that the Mavs could try and get. Mikal Bridges is the dream. 

Feel free to add if I missed anyone.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - mvossman - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 12:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If anything, DJJ's emergence for a couple of weeks shows just how valuable a consistent 15ppg 2-way wing would be on this team. One that can hit a 3 at league average rate and also create his own shot of the dribble if needed.

Who has that skillset? 

Ideally Mikal Bridges. The Nets don't want to trade him and the Mavs certainly don't have the assets this TDL, but this coming summer? 3 unprotected 1sts and expirings could be enough.

But if not him who else?

Flawed but can hit a 3:
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Jerami Grant
  • Tobias Harris
  • Cam Johnson
  • Lauri Markkannen
  • DFS

Brdiges would be perfect, but crazy expensive.  What about Cam?  Not a great rebounder, but a two way PF that would be a really food fit.  There is an unsubstantiated rumor on another thread that Nets are looking to sell.

I know he is the list above, but unlike the others he is young, a good defender, and might be reasonably priced.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - omahen - 01-18-2024

Sleeping made a very extensive list, thanks. I agree Mikal Bridges would be perfect, but he doesn't seem to be available. My choice is still Jerami Grant. No one else from that list really intrigues me. Perhaps Miles Bridges, but he would come with a lot of baggage (he might be very cheap to get though).

Mavs need a third best guy and I wish we would stop hoping that some 5th best or worse would suddenly turn into a top 3 player. It really rarely happens. See GW. 90 % of the board and basically every writer thought what a great move Mavs made, now 90 % of the board wants to trade him.

Some other names (no one really brings what Mavs need, imho): Covington, the other Morris, Batum, Vando, Dort, Barnes.
Some other names that would be great but likely not available: George, JJJ, Smart, Herb Jones.

And of course the King!

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - mvossman - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 12:40 PM)omahen Wrote: Sleeping made a very extensive list, thanks. I agree Mikal Bridges would be perfect, but he doesn't seem to be available. My choice is still Jerami Grant. No one else from that list really intrigues me. Perhaps Miles Bridges, but he would come with a lot of baggage (he might be very cheap to get though).

Mavs need a third best guy and I wish we would stop hoping that some 5th best or worse would suddenly turn into a top 3 player. It really rarely happens. See GW. 90 % of the board and basically every writer thought what a great move Mavs made, now 90 % of the board wants to trade him.

Some other names (no one really brings what Mavs need, imho): Covington, the other Morris, Batum, Vando, Dort, Barnes.
Some other names that would be great but likely not available: George, JJJ, Smart, Herb Jones.

And of course the King!

I don't think anybody looked at GWill as a legit number 3.  I think they looked at him as another quality rotational 3&D guy, and he has disappointed so far because the D is not there.  I'm afraid we will have the same disappointment with Grant.  He has not played defense in 5 years and seems more interested in being the guy, which is not going to work here.  I would prefer Cam Johnson.  He has been a quality starter for years, is taller, a better rebounder and a better defender.  He is not looking to get 20+ a game, but averages 15 a game with a good three and good at the rim.  He is also a little better distributor.  That is what we need.  Quality 2 way starters.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - omahen - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 01:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think anybody looked at GWill as a legit number 3.  I think they looked at him as another quality rotational 3&D guy, and he has disappointed so far because the D is not there.  I'm afraid we will have the same disappointment with Grant.  He has not played defense in 5 years and seems more interested in being the guy, which is not going to work here.  I would prefer Cam Johnson.  He has been a quality starter for years, is taller, a better rebounder and a better defender.  He is not looking to get 20+ a game, but averages 15 a game with a good three and good at the rim.  He is also a little better distributor.  That is what we need.  Quality 2 way starters.

GW was basically on all lists of best summer moves and everyone said he will look great in Dallas. Kidd had him as part of big three at season start. 

Grant might dissapoint on defensive end, but he is 10 times the offensive force GW is. Also gives us a possibility to build around him and Luka if Mavs move on from Kyrie. They will likely have to make a decision about him in the summer, as he is already a potential expiring. I am certain Mavs will not trade him at TDL, but his good play and behaviour could fetch Mavs a nice return in the summer if they decide to build a team a bit differently around Luka.

As for Cam Johnson, I find it highly unlikely BKN would consider trading him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - surfpuckmd - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 01:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think anybody looked at GWill as a legit number 3.  I think they looked at him as another quality rotational 3&D guy, and he has disappointed so far because the D is not there.  I'm afraid we will have the same disappointment with Grant.  He has not played defense in 5 years and seems more interested in being the guy, which is not going to work here.  I would prefer Cam Johnson.  He has been a quality starter for years, is taller, a better rebounder and a better defender.  He is not looking to get 20+ a game, but averages 15 a game with a good three and good at the rim.  He is also a little better distributor.  That is what we need.  Quality 2 way starters.

Cam Johnson is perfect for our situation.  He's one of the best 3&D players in the entire NBA.  He's the elite role player that we need and could be to us what Derrick White is to the Celtics and Aaron Gordon is to the Nuggets.

I don't think we have the assets for him at this trade deadline though I'd offer Hardy, OMax and the 2027 1st for him.  I think he might be a good target though this coming summer when we can trade more than one first.  

Cam Johnson as the Grant Wiliams upgrade is exactly what we need.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 12:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If anything, DJJ's emergence for a couple of weeks shows just how valuable a consistent 15ppg 2-way wing would be on this team. One that can hit a 3 at league average rate and also create his own shot of the dribble if needed.

Who has that skillset? 

But if not him who else?

Flawed but can hit a 3:
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Jerami Grant
  • Tobias Harris
  • Cam Johnson
  • Lauri Markkannen
  • DFS

All of these guys have their warts, either defensively, attitude wise, contract wise, you name it. But they fill that role of size, being a 2-way player, and can most importantly hit a 3 consistently. Next tier.

Elder statesmen:
  • Joe Ingles
  • Kevin Love
  • Bojan Bogdanovic 
  • Royce O'Neal
  • Danillo Gallinari
  • Harrison Barnes
  • Jeff Green
  • Doug McDermott
  • Gordon Hayward

• Khris Middleton-injuries have sapped a lot of his effectiveness, especially defensively
  • Miles Bridges- Compared to the others, he's a perfectly fine player. But do you really want this guy on the Mavs?
You could argue for any one of these guys and say they could play a role here. But they also have some of the biggest flaws.

The Youngins
  • Deandre Hunter
  • Rui Hachimura
  • Jonathan Kuminga
  • Patrick Williams
  • Saddiq Bey
  • PJ Washington
  • Keldon Johnson

All of these guys are below 25 and can theoretically grow into the role we want. Their costs will vary, and there's a risk they don't pan out. 

• Trey Lyles 
  • Yuta Watanabe
  • Taurean Prince
  • Dario Saric 
  • Santi Aldama
  • Cedi Osman

• Ben Simmons- Draymond Green mental capabilities with more injuries and an even worse jumpshot! Yay!
  • Andrew Wiggins- Mikal Bridges lite. Does everything on paper we're looking for. Might be mentally checked out and ready for retirement.
These guys are the riskiest of the bunch. If it works out you basically solved your issue for pennies on the dollar. If it doesn't? Well time for a rebuild. 

These are all the wings I could think of off the top of my head that the Mavs could try and get. Mikal Bridges is the dream. 

I would add Dante Exum to this list at this point.  The reason I'm not wrapped up in making cap room for DJJ is because him and Exum kind of play the same position, we just start them together (if we ever get healthy) because we don't have a good option at power forward.  If you start to view Exum as a potential 15 ppg two way guy (which he was before his injury) then replacing DJJ starts to feel more like changing him into a PF instead of just finding someone with the same skillset.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - KillerLeft - 01-18-2024

I would LOVE Cam Johnson here. He'd be at the top of my list, but I'll echo the thoughts of others and suggest that it's highly unlikely he'll be available.

I know BRK is selling, but I doubt that means they're selling Bridges or Thomas.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - SleepingHero - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 02:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would LOVE Cam Johnson here. He'd be at the top of my list, but I'll echo the thoughts of others and suggest that it's highly unlikely he'll be available.

I know BRK is selling, but I doubt that means they're selling Bridges or Thomas.

They are both 27. Neither of them are true star players but are good enough to keep you from a top pick. They don't own their pick in 2025, and 2027, and have to swap in 2024 and 2026.

So there's no reason for them to tank per se, but they're not necessarily building anything either. 

Trading away Bridges and Cam for actual prospects and stuff to build for the future is their best bet at returning to relevance.  It's tough to see what the Mavs have for them, but 3 unprotected 1sts in the summer might be enough to make them interested in a Bridges trade

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - Chicagojk - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 04:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: They are both 27. Neither of them are true star players but are good enough to keep you from a top pick. They don't own their pick in 2025, and 2027, and have to swap in 2024 and 2026.

So there's no reason for them to tank per se, but they're not necessarily building anything either. 

Trading away Bridges and Cam for actual prospects and stuff to build for the future is their best bet at returning to relevance.  It's tough to see what the Mavs have for them, but 3 unprotected 1sts in the summer might be enough to make them interested in a Bridges trade

Brooklyn is in a tough spot as you say.   I actually like a lot of their players.   They have underachieved this year.   I thought they would be between a 42-46 win team.   

As you mention, they don't control a lot of their picks but they other teams picks.    But still, they seem like a team that is stuck in the middle.  Even if they waited for Donovan Mitchell and then offered the best package if became available, they still feel like an outside the top 4 team in the East.   

If they find a star while keeping the majority of their current team, that is a real good team.   The issue is finding the star part.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - HoosierDaddyKidd - 01-18-2024

Who has that skillset? 

But if not him who else?

Flawed but can hit a 3:
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Jerami Grant
  • Tobias Harris
  • Cam Johnson
  • Lauri Markkannen
  • DFS

Elder statesmen:
  • Joe Ingles
  • Kevin Love
  • Bojan Bogdanovic 
  • Royce O'Neal
  • Danillo Gallinari
  • Harrison Barnes
  • Jeff Green
  • Doug McDermott
  • Gordon Hayward

The Youngins
  • Deandre Hunter
  • Rui Hachimura
  • Jonathan Kuminga
  • Patrick Williams
  • Saddiq Bey
  • PJ Washington
  • Keldon Johnson

• Trey Lyles 
  • Yuta Watanabe
  • Taurean Prince
  • Dario Saric 
  • Santi Aldama
  • Cedi Osman

Jalen Johnson of the Hawks would be one of the best of the "Youngins" if he were listed.  His game has made a sysmic jump and that made John Collins expendable. But he's more likely unattainable as part of their core.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - SleepingHero - 01-18-2024

(01-18-2024, 04:44 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Jalen Johnson of the Hawks would be one of the best of the "Youngins" if he were listed.  His game has made a sysmic jump and that made John Collins expendable. But he's more likely unattainable as part of their core.

Oh absolutely. Shoutout to Dan for highlighting Johnson last summer before anyone knew how good he was. But I tried to include guys who could feasibly be traded. I don't think Atlanta has any interest in trading Johnson, much like we don't have any interest in trading Lively.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 01-18-2024

I'm not big on DFS returning, he doesn't solve the rebounding problems.
DFS to cost 2 FRPs? Nah.. no one would take that.

But I'd give BKN a first if:
They take Holmes
A swap between Day'ron Sharpe and Hardy is added (but the Mavs need to know the extent of Dayron's injury)

Trade:
DFS+Sharpe for Holmes+Hardy+FRP

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - Mavs2021 - 01-19-2024

FA list for 2024

Olynyk
Jalen Smith
Achiuwa
Okeke
Saric
Gallinari
Wiseman
Hartenstein
Theis
Plumlee
Drummond
Azubuike
Bamba
Metu
Hayes
Goga

...and I left out a few more like McGee, Claxton or Jonas. 

So PF/C is a position of need right now, but you should under no circumstances invest any major assets into the position, unless that player immediately becomes our best PF/C by a large margin.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - Chicagojk - 01-19-2024

I really want to see this team healthy and play together for several weeks. My main frustration about this team is the really poor losses. Maybe I just have to change my expectation as they are not a contender. Every team has those 6, 7, 8 or more games where they don't have it and get run out of the gym. Those games happen. My disappointment is the other losses. You are going to lose games. But I feel when you beat good teams (outside of these stinkers), you really feel like you had to play well and work to get the win. Mavs have had too many games where they put up little resistance. It is concerning.

Maybe it is the injuries or maybe they are a 6-9 seed and that is what happens. But I would like to see more competitiveness as the season goes on.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - F Gump - 01-19-2024

(01-18-2024, 06:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Oh absolutely. Shoutout to Dan for highlighting Johnson last summer before anyone knew how good he was. But I tried to include guys who could feasibly be traded. I don't think Atlanta has any interest in trading Johnson, much like we don't have any interest in trading Lively.

Jalen Johnson was my oft-mentioned target this past summer, not Dan's. I was the first, and the most persistent --  early on, I included him coming to DAL in trades, and if someone else's idea with ATL didn't include him, I suggested a way to do the trade with him. I thought he had showed high potential in limited minutes, but I didn't see evidence he was particularly prized by ATL. At the time it appeared he was buried on their depth chart behind Collins, and in a mix of lots of backup wings/forwards buried behind Collins and Hunter that they didn't have the minutes for.

Once Collins was sent to UT, that changed their whole mix in ATL. And since his added minutes gave him a chance to bloom, obviously he's not available now. I was hoping to see that blooming happen in DAL. Rats.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - HoosierDaddyKidd - 01-19-2024

(01-19-2024, 03:25 PM)F Gump Wrote: Jalen Johnson was my oft-mentioned target this past summer, not Dan's. I was the first, and the most persistent --  early on, I included him coming to DAL in trades, and if someone else's idea with ATL didn't include him, I suggested a way to do the trade with him. I thought he had showed high potential in limited minutes, but I didn't see evidence he was particularly prized by ATL. At the time it appeared he was buried on their depth chart behind Collins, and in a mix of lots of backup wings/forwards buried behind Collins and Hunter that they didn't have the minutes for.

Once Collins was sent to UT, that changed their whole mix in ATL. And since his added minutes gave him a chance to bloom, obviously he's not available now. I was hoping to see that blooming happen in DAL. Rats.

Yeah, his game has spiked big time. He can shoot the 3 and is very athletic.  Bey was starting at PF, but once he got his chance, he ran with it and Bey is coming off the bench now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: NBA suspends Mavs vs. GSW on Friday - HoosierDaddyKidd - 01-19-2024

(01-19-2024, 08:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I really want to see this team healthy and play together for several weeks.  My main frustration about this team is the really poor losses.  Maybe I just have to change my expectation as they are not a contender.  Every team has those 6, 7, 8 or more games where they don't have it and get run out of the gym.  Those games happen.    My disappointment is the other losses.  You are going to lose games.  But I feel when you beat good teams (outside of these stinkers), you really feel like you had to play well and work to get the win.  Mavs have had too many games where they put up little resistance.  It is concerning.

Maybe it is the injuries or maybe they are a 6-9 seed and that is what happens.    But I would like to see more competitiveness as the season goes on.

Mavs aren't a big team, as they aren't very good at offensive or defensive rebounding. They have no size outside of Lively. Luka is their best rebounder, and that really shouldn't be the case. Adding more big wings or a good 5 man that can rebound, would give them more possessions.

RE: MAVS NEWS: GW out of shape | Holmes unhappy w/role - SleepingHero - 01-19-2024

(01-19-2024, 03:25 PM)F Gump Wrote: Jalen Johnson was my oft-mentioned target this past summer, not Dan's. I was the first, and the most persistent --  early on, I included him coming to DAL in trades, and if someone else's idea with ATL didn't include him, I suggested a way to do the trade with him. I thought he had showed high potential in limited minutes, but I didn't see evidence he was particularly prized by ATL. At the time it appeared he was buried on their depth chart behind Collins, and in a mix of lots of backup wings/forwards buried behind Collins and Hunter that they didn't have the minutes for.

Oh I'm an idiot. 

My bad Mr. Gump. I meant no offense. You called it 1000%. Johnson wasn't even on my radar at all as a player and I barely watched the Hawks so it's super impressive you saw that from a mile away.