MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - MFFL - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 03:45 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: DF edited so I edited. No need to pile on

And posts like this are why this board only has 5 or 6 regular posters

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start - Smitty - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 07:28 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You are correct.  The assist percentage I quoted was full season and benefits from the 27.5 he produced in DC.  Dinwiddie produced Assist percentages of 35, 25 and 35 the three seasons prior to that.  His career average is 29.2 compared to 23.6 for JB.  If we are making a prediction for the next season about whether someone can replace the 24 Brunson put up last season, I'll take the guy with a career average five percentage points higher.

Also, the numbers don't agree on the "every other facet" of offense statement.  In Dallas (which is the boundary you selected) Dinwiddie put up 20 points per 36 compared to 18.3 for Brunson.  SD hit .404 of his 3's compared to .373 from JB.  Their overall FG% was a wash at .502 to .498, but SD has the higher TS% .624 to .583 because he gets twice as many FT attempts per minute played.  Dinwiddie has the higher PER, WS/48, Box +/- and a higher Net Rating and Simple Rating (82Games.com).  

I'm sure the next thing that will happen is someone will produce a half dozen compilation stats that show Brunson is better.  I'll direct you to VORP and EPM for starters.  I'm not trying to prove JB is a bad player or that Dinwiddie is better than him.  I'm trying to disprove your statement that Brunson is better in "every other facet" of offense (which I think I've done admirably).  And now I have to go take a shower to wash off the stench of saying negative things about JB.

I think if you have to replace JB (and recall it wasn't our choice that he left), Dinwiddie does the job fairly well.  He'll benefit from the addition of Wood and the return of THJ.  What we haven't done, and should be concerned about, is that we haven't replaced the role Dinwiddie played off the bench.

I love post that show their work. I'm too lazy to offer a counter argument to anything you posted, simply because it doesn't matter. Dinwiddie is here, Brunson is not. 

Everyone here knows that when Dinwiddie first arrived he had a 15 game stretch or so where he was "hot". We were all drinking his Kool-aide. And then he cooled off and he was what he's always been. Which isn't terrible, he's a 13-14 ppg guy that'll throw in 4-5 assist and can get to the line.

The problem is that the Mavs in their current roster construction are putting a lot of eggs in the Dinwiddie basket.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - dirkfansince1998 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Why? What's the point of saying this? If you don't think his opinion is legit, move on. No need to make fun, we aren't in middle school. 

This is why some folks are shy to post on here. Say anything positive and you get made fun of, geez.

And this patronizing post is any better? Similar posts lead to the very same thing you are trying to prevent. Posters left because they felt like they couldn´t voice their opinion. If we want to keep this community alife preventing another @"mavsluvr" situation should be among the top priorities.

If mild trolling isn´t allowed it needs to be enforced all the time. Not just when the poster disagrees with your opinion. It´s okay to attack "negative nancies" (I have seen worse posts in the last couple of weeks without anyone interfering) but not okay to do the same with over the top positive posts?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Winter - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:17 AM)Smitty Wrote: The problem is that the Mavs in their current roster construction are putting a lot of eggs in the Dinwiddie basket.

Yes, but what are we really trying to replace? His points will likely be replaced by the combination of Wood and Dinwiddie. His defense was a non-factor as I suspect Dinwiddie will at least be his equal. His assists and playmaking shouldn't be missed with Dinwiddie in the starting lineup. The few JB rebounds are easily replaced with Dinwiddie starting.

We will miss JB's efficiency I think, but the other factors make this a wash in my opinion. I am more concerned about the rotation players at this point and as Dan mentioned, the lack of playmaking with Dinwiddie moving in as a starter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Smitty - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:42 AM)Winter Wrote: Yes, but what are we really trying to replace? His points will likely be replaced by the combination of Wood and Dinwiddie. His defense was a non-factor as I suspect Dinwiddie will at least be his equal. His assists and playmaking shouldn't be missed with Dinwiddie in the starting lineup. The few JB rebounds are easily replaced with Dinwiddie starting.

We will miss JB's efficiency I think, but the other factors make this a wash in my opinion. I am more concerned about the rotation players at this point and as Dan mentioned, the lack of playmaking with Dinwiddie moving in as a starter.

I think Dinwiddie is a good bench player. A 3rd guard. Someone I like in the closing lineup due to his ability to get to the line. Being a starter, 2nd and only guard on the roster, I do not like.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Winter - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:46 AM)Smitty Wrote: Being a starter, 2nd and only guard on the roster, I do not like.

He's used to being a starter, so I'm not so concerned about that. But I do agree that the Mavs need another playmaker. I'll be surprised if they don't get another one for that roster spot.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - ItsGoTime - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And this patronizing post is any better? Similar posts lead to the very same thing you are trying to prevent. Posters left because they felt like they couldn´t voice their opinion. If we want to keep this community alife preventing another @"mavsluvr" situation should be among the top priorities.

If mild trolling isn´t allowed it needs to be enforced all the time. Not just when the poster disagrees with your opinion. It´s okay to attack "negative nancies" (I have seen worse posts in the last couple of weeks without anyone interfering) but not okay to do the same with over the top positive posts?
Man, if mild trolling isn’t allowed, what I’ve been doing to you and KL in an attempt to make you chuckle a bit puts me on the outs! 

I like the mantra of policing eachother that was mostly the way of the Fish board (unless the trolling was sternly against Fish). 

When I first discovered this community back in 2000, I was pretty afraid of posting due to the more intelligent and thought out responses. I chose my first post unwisely and called out Rayfa for a take he had when he and jayin(somewhere, I can’t remember the city). It was a post trying to support jay in his argument, but I guessed wrong in an assumption. Jay replied I was wrong so I got my hand slapped for making an uninformed assumption. From there I knew I had to bring more to the table if I wanted to join the community as a poster going forward.

I think it’s a bit healthy for this group to have that type of feel. It keeps the social media type takes from gaining a foothold here. Sure, we don’t get as much involvement as social media, that is good and bad. We want everyone to feel welcome to post here, ABSOLUTELY! We also want well thought out posts.

As far as the original post, it was well thought out, with decent reasoning. It for sure leaned in a certain direction that left it open for some light trolling. If we can’t laugh at ourselves, or see things from a different direction, we won’t evolve as a community either. Just some food for thought on this early morning where I’m forced to stay up with the puppy as we’re trying to get the stubbornness out of her about potty training!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And this patronizing post is any better? Similar posts lead to the very same thing you are trying to prevent. Posters left because they felt like they couldn´t voice their opinion. If we want to keep this community alife preventing another @mavsluvr situation should be among the top priorities.

I do not have the time and energy to respond to everything on here. This particular instance jumped out to me because a guy with EIGHT total posts put a lot of thought into sharing his opinion on Hardy. Then the first response is someone asking if he is "high." That is likely to to shut down someone from wanting to ever put in time to post again. 

Mild trolling is fine when it is between posters with a rapport and respect and history with each other. But jumping on someone with EIGHT posts is not cool in my book. 

This is a community moderated board, so if you see someone attacking another then please feel free to ask them to behave differently.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Kammrath - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If we want to keep this community alife preventing another @mavsluvr situation should be among the top priorities.

Something like that cannot be "prevented." It was not caused by the board or anyone here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - dirkfansince1998 - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:05 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I do not have the time and energy to respond to everything on here. This particular instance jumped out to me because a guy with EIGHT total posts put a lot of thought into sharing his opinion on Hardy. Then the first response is someone asking if he is "high." That is likely to to shut down someone from wanting to ever put in time to post again. 

Mild trolling is fine when it is between posters with a rapport and respect and history with each other. But jumping on someone with EIGHT posts is not cool in my book. 

This is a community moderated board, so if you see someone attacking another then please feel free to ask them to behave differently.

I don´t think that´s possible. It creates a double standard. Not to mention that it is nearly impossible to adjust the posting style to the need or personal limits of every single poster. I don´t think that´s possible. We all have our own unique style, humor and tendencies to joke or troll each other.
The community moderated board idea sounds nice but it´s not the reality because we have people in designated roles that are enforcing whatever needs to be enforced. It´s always going to be a subjective decision if we cannot agree on the same standards for all members.

(07-12-2022, 09:08 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Something like that cannot be "prevented." It was not caused by the board or anyone here.

Do you really think that there was no better way to handle the situation?

(07-12-2022, 09:19 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t think that´s possible. It creates a double standard. Not to mention that it is nearly impossible to adjust the posting style to the need or personal limits of every single poster. I don´t think that´s possible. We all have our own unique style, humor and tendencies to joke or troll each other.
The community moderated board idea sounds nice but it´s not the reality because we have people in designated roles that are enforcing whatever needs to be enforced. It´s always going to be a subjective decision if we cannot agree on the same standards for all members.

I am just sharing my perspective and how I approach things. I am by no means "the voice" or "leader" of this board. So if you don't think my approach is possible then fine, approach it differently. 

I felt inclined to speak up in defense of the person with 8 posts. My inclination will always be to defend the "weak" (in this case the new person) when it seems appropriate and helpful.

(07-12-2022, 09:19 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Do you really think that there was no better way to handle the situation?

I certainly said some things that were inflammatory along the way and absolutely repent of those and am determined to learn from those failures to keep my intensity in check. But I in no way recant for standing up against the repeated misrepresentation and mis-characterization of my opinions/positions and the opinions/positions of others.

I don´t have any fix all answer for the problems. I am just noticing a trend that I already mentioned in the @"mavsluvr" situation. The contradiction between subjective mod decisions (or even call outs, as discussed in the @"mavsluvr" thread) without any clearly formulated standards and the idea of a community moderated board.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - ItsGoTime - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 09:19 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Do you really think that there was no better way to handle the situation?
We’re all prone to make mistakes (except me of course). It’s never a good thing to have happen what happened to make ML feel like he/she needed to leave. I don’t think anyone in the mod group wanted that to happen. His/her thoughts are missed here for sure!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Smitty - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 08:51 AM)Winter Wrote: I'll be surprised if they don't get another one for that roster spot.

But how can they do that and get a playoff rotation Wing also?  Wink

(07-12-2022, 09:35 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t have any fix all answer for the problems. I am just noticing a trend that I already mentioned in the @"mavsluvr" situation. The contradiction between subjective mod decisions (or even call outs, as discussed in the @"mavsluvr" thread) without any clearly formulated standards and the idea of a community moderated board.
I didn’t read Kamm’s reply to be a moderation post. Just a call out like any other poster would do in a situation where they think another poster was wronged.

(07-12-2022, 09:39 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We’re all prone to make mistakes (except me of course). It’s never a good thing to have happen what happened to make ML feel like he/she needed to leave. I don’t think anyone in the mod group wanted that to happen. His/her thoughts are missed here for sure!

I think the concerning part wasn´t just @"mavsluvr" leaving but a number of posters joining him because they didn´t agree with the way the situation was handled. And it´s concerning that it seems like we haven´t learned anything from the fall out.

Self policing in all directions!

(07-12-2022, 09:39 AM)Smitty Wrote: But how can they do that and get a playoff rotation Wing also?  Wink
Get drunk with another team’s GM and coerce them into signing a trade document that is Pinson for their superstar! It’s so simple even a monkey could do it! WTF is Nico doing with his time?

(07-12-2022, 09:42 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I didn’t read Kamm’s reply to be a moderation post. Just a call out like any other poster would do in a situation where they think another poster was wronged.

That´s why I refered to the @"mavsluvr" situation. I think one of the main takeaways was that even if it isn´t intended as a mod intervention patronizing posts or call outs from a mod come with a certain level of authority. Even if it isn´t intended. Cannot turn the mod hat on/off.