MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - DallasMaverick - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 12:02 PM)omahen Wrote: A very thoughtful answer from Kidd about Lively and foul trouble

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/1742947845710225896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1742947845710225896%7Ctwgr%5Eacb0af6b3fbdea71ba0c24bd8a1bdae7b308800f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

He's a good coach.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - Scott41theMavs - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 12:37 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: He's a good coach.

Lol.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - SleepingHero - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 07:05 AM)F Gump Wrote: 3 Was OMax worth being saddled with Holmes? Lots of crowing about that one. Yet hard to see why. We need talent, and the net result of that move seems to be we got an iffy rookie who has showed next to nothing PLUS a cap-choking player for 2 years. 

I'm actually quite surprised you feel this way after we've seen Omax, albeit in limited minutes, flash stuff that we see great 2-way wings do. 

OMax is certainly a project, and his ceiling will be limited to how well he will shoot a 3, but he's shown more than DFS had in his first 2 years imo. He's had several just barely missed layups and 3s that would make his counting stats a bit more stomachable. But his defense is as advertised and his ability to handle the ball is something I was very surprised about. 

He hustles like crazy and can move his feet incredibly well. I think that was worth eating Holmes for 2 years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - Chicagojk - 01-04-2024

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1742959675501367583

It looks like the G-league team doesn't play again until Saturday. Does that mean he can't play with the team on Friday? With us being shorthanded, it would be weird not having him on the bench. Thought it would be good to have him around for the long homestand too. In case there are opportunity for real practices.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - dirkfansince1998 - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 01:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm actually quite surprised you feel this way after we've seen Omax, albeit in limited minutes, flash stuff that we see great 2-way wings do. 

OMax is certainly a project, and his ceiling will be limited to how well he will shoot a 3, but he's shown more than DFS had in his first 2 years imo. He's had several just barely missed layups and 3s that would make his counting stats a bit more stomachable. But his defense is as advertised and his ability to handle the ball is something I was very surprised about. 

He hustles like crazy and can move his feet incredibly well. I think that was worth eating Holmes for 2 years.

For people that prefer a longterm approach Omax is everything they could have asked for. For people that think the Mavs are one piece away it's a missing pick that could have been used in a trade for Siakam or whoever else they view as the missing piece.
Personally I am in the first category. To the point where I would rather try to sell Kyrie. Only thing that slows me down in those thoughts is the possible reaction from Luka. Not sure if he is on board with another development season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - DallasMaverick - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 01:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1742959675501367583

It looks like the G-league team doesn't play again until Saturday.  Does that mean he can't play with the team on Friday?  With us being shorthanded, it would be weird not having him on the bench.    Thought it would be good to have him around for the long homestand too.  In case there are opportunity for real practices.

Verified: imminent trade alert!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - KillerLeft - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 10:04 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Trade for Siakam. Pick up Hayward after he’s bought out.

I’ll tell you one thing, I think Kyrie helps the team become a destination for buyouts, and adding Siakam would make the situation start to look even more attractive.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - F Gump - 01-04-2024

I understand the pushback on OMax. The hype excited me, too. I get that he's a lottery ticket. The fact that he's not already rotation level is not my issue.

But his play so far has pushed me away. I'm not seeing the building blocks to be built upon. I'm seeing way more of a project than I expected, and way fewer of the flashes of promise too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - KillerLeft - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 03:01 PM)F Gump Wrote: I understand the pushback on OMax. The hype excited me, too. I get that he's a lottery ticket. The fact that he's not already rotation level is not my issue.

But his play so far has pushed me away. I'm not seeing the building blocks to be built upon. I'm seeing way more of a project than I expected, and way fewer of the flashes of promise too.

Fair enough on “more of a project than expected.” I think a lot of us feel that way. 

I guess the difference is that I DO think I see the building blocks. You can count the players at that size/length who move like him on one hand, imho. He actually dribbles a little bit more naturally than I expected. He is better with the ball right now the DFS is, all these years later. Every time he plays, he affects at least a couple of shots in super impressive fashion. From my perspective, he just needs to slow down a little, see the game happening a little bit better and learn how to shoot more consistently. I don’t think it’s that big of a lottery ticket, personally. It’s definitely not a sure thing, but I am confident.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - Chicagojk - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 03:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Fair enough on “more of a project than expected.” I think a lot of us feel that way. 

I guess the difference is that I DO think I see the building blocks. You can count the players at that size/length who move like him on one hand, imho. He actually dribbles a little bit more naturally than I expected. He is better with the ball right now the DFS is, all these years later. Every time he plays, he affects at least a couple of shots in super impressive fashion. From my perspective, he just needs to slow down a little, see the game happening a little bit better and learn how to shoot more consistently. I don’t think it’s that big of a lottery ticket, personally. It’s definitely not a sure thing, but I am confident.

Yeah, I have no problem if someone is disappointed in him or thinks he doesn't have it.   I just preach patience.  There has been a few things that I am surprised he has struggled with.   For instance, when the ball is being rotated to him, he seems a little confused and does not know he needs to make a quick move and move towards the ball to get it.   Some small things like that...mostly on offense.   I knew his shooting was going to be an issue.  I expect it will be next year too.    It looks pretty shaky right now.  He just needs to shoot corner threes until his arms fall of.  He will need to focus on the shots he will most likely get playing with Luka.  The rest can be developed as he moves forward.

On defense, I just notice a lot of smaller things.  I love how he always looks to make contact with his defender when the shot goes up to box out.   I like how he is always moving on defense off ball.  I don't think he knows what he is doing yet, but I like that energy.   I love how he always plays hard.  I think he is the type of guy who will get the most out of his ability.    Lastly, I look how long he looks and the broad shoulders he has.  Not many guys look that way.

I see a lot of physical resemblance to OG.   Now the skill level is where he will need to prove he is worth the investment.   I think he is a solid investment and hopefully an ideal glue guy around this team over the next few years.   While not a done deal, I really think this years draft might have saved us.    Work is left to be done, but I envision both guys as really important players.   Both guys who won't need touches to be effective.    That is key playing with Luka.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - HoosierDaddyKidd - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 04:18 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, I have no problem if someone is disappointed in him or thinks he doesn't have it.   I just preach patience.  There has been a few things that I am surprised he has struggled with.   For instance, when the ball is being rotated to him, he seems a little confused and does not know he needs to make a quick move and move towards the ball to get it.   Some small things like that...mostly on offense.   I knew his shooting was going to be an issue.  I expect it will be next year too.    It looks pretty shaky right now.  He just needs to shoot corner threes until his arms fall of.  He will need to focus on the shots he will most likely get playing with Luka.  The rest can be developed as he moves forward.

On defense, I just notice a lot of smaller things.  I love how he always looks to make contact with his defender when the shot goes up to box out.   I like how he is always moving on defense off ball.  I don't think he knows what he is doing yet, but I like that energy.   I love how he always plays hard.  I think he is the type of guy who will get the most out of his ability.    Lastly, I look how long he looks and the broad shoulders he has.  Not many guys look that way.

I see a lot of physical resemblance to OG.   Now the skill level is where he will need to prove he is worth the investment.   I think he is a solid investment and hopefully an ideal glue guy around this team over the next few years.   While not a done deal, I really think this years draft might have saved us.    Work is left to be done, but I envision both guys as really important players.   Both guys who won't need touches to be effective.    That is key playing with Luka.

I don't see the resemblance to OG Anunoby. OG is thick all over.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - F Gump - 01-04-2024

Interestingly, I don't see OMax much differently than you guys do. I just have a different belief in where that sort of "skill set" will take you.

You see: Hustle. Energy. Try hard-ness. And those are the MAIN positives.

When I see that, I see a guy whose upside is Powell. Or another J Green. And that would make sense, because that seems to be their persistent criteria in trying to identify players. But that's not what I want.

I think their criteria is wrong.

My personal sense of things is that they need to be looking for guys with basketball skills, not "effort" (as the primary plus).

(01-04-2024, 04:55 PM)F Gump Wrote: Interestingly, I don't see OMax much differently than you guys do. I just have a different belief in where that sort of "skill set" will take you.

When I see that, I see a guy whose upside is Powell. Or another J Green. And that would make sense, because that seems to be their persistent criteria in trying to identify players. But that's not what I want.

My personal sense of things is that they need to be looking for guys with basketball skills, not "effort" (as the primary plus).

I get your point, and it's not a bad one, but I believe his combination of size (WAY LONGER than OG, to my eye) and athletic quickness puts him levels above both Powell and Green. And even better, his defensive killer instinct is (in my cautious, hopeful opinion) way better than either of those guys, too. I believe he has the potential to be the single most disruptive defender in the NBA. Definitely not a given, I get that. Neither of the guys you mention ever had that potential. He could fall significantly short of that mark and still be more impactful than either of those guys, imo.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 04:34 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: I don't see the resemblance to OG Anunoby. OG is thick all over.

They are literally almost the exact height/weight right now. Both have like 7’1 wingspan I think. Omax will likely grow into his frame and wind up quite a bit bigger than OG after a couple years in our program. I think his frame can easily accommodate another 10-15 pounds of muscle with no loss in athleticism.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 04:55 PM)F Gump Wrote: Interestingly, I don't see OMax much differently than you guys do. I just have a different belief in where that sort of "skill set" will take you.

I see Omax as a plus level NBA athlete (his measurements and athleticism stood out at the combine) is super long. DJJ same. We also added Lively who is another of those long and Bouncy guys and Green has + NBA athleticism as well. I’m so happy to see them add those types because we have been sorely lacking in athletes for so long.

These things rarely ever mean anything but….

https://x.com/mavspessimist77/status/1743015878952628579?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Lively and Williams listed as questionable for tomorrow's game. Not surprised on Williams whose injury did not look bad, but good sign both may not be out weeks and can hopefully help during this homestand. Dante is doubtful and Holmes is doubtful. Maxi is being shipped to the glue factory Smile

(01-04-2024, 05:37 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: These things rarely ever mean anything but….

https://x.com/mavspessimist77/status/1743015878952628579?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

I found it odd that Kidd played Curry over Hardy, who had a mini breakout performance against GSW last game, but then I remembered it’s Kidd we are talking about. I’m pretty sure O-Max was DNP the next game after his big performance against Houston. Also, O-Max didn’t get in until a third of the way thru the 4th last night if I’m remembering right. 

But I was definitely thinking those thoughts (trade incoming?) during last nights game when it seemed like a perfect opportunity to get our young guys,  not Markieff and Set, some minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd- Hope is Kyrie returns against UTA - surfpuckmd - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 06:56 AM)omahen Wrote: First of all, I would just like to make a disclaimer, that I don't think Siakam would cost 2 FRP to get. Sure there are teams that can (theoretically) make better offers, but who says they will actually make them. Toronto is facing a real threat that Siakam walks in the summer. Any team trading for him will also take this risk that Siakam might just walk in the summer and no one will imho risk a bunch of assets because of that. 

Secondly - lifting protection from NY pick doesn't enable Mavs to offer additional pick. Even with lifted protection, Mavs still can't trade 2025 pick because of the Stepien rule (2024 being still owed to NY) and can't trade both 2026 and 2027 picks because of the same rule. 

Leaving all of that aside, even if Mavs would be able to trade two picks by lifting protection from NY pick, I wouldn't call that as an all in move. Mavs all in move was imho Kyrie. Because of his age they basically declared their short-term strategy, which is "win now". Mavs are not rebuilding, they want to win. From here on it is just about using that realistic window and trying to create a contender putting right pieces next to Luka and Kyrie. Siakam is imho a huge proven talent and while he might not be perfect (which player is???), it would be on the three stars and coaching staff to make it work on both ends on the floor. Having three such players would put a pressure from the front office to players and coaching staff for the first time in Luka era.

2024 is owed to NY by past actions. A whole bunch of stuff would have to go wrong if Mavs traded for Siakam and still finished in bottom 10 of the league. Even Luka injury would still leave enough talent on the team and they should be able to finish better than bottom 10. I think it is certain that Siakam makes this team better, the question is only, if he makes them good enough to contend. 

Personally, I don't think Mavs are just one "Gordon" or "White" trade away from contending. I think they need more of the top end talent.

Sure.  We're all just speculating.  I do think Toronto will get 2 first rounders or a first-rounder and a talented young player for Siakam.  I think Siakam is better than Anunoby and will have more value around the league.

I think Gordon and White are both top-40 players.  I think Siakam is also a top-40 player.  The difference is Gordon and White are great defensive players and are merely good on offense.  Siakam is an excellent offensive player and mediocre on defense.  Excellent offensive players are much more expensive in terms of trade value but also contracts.  I think Luka Doncic is so brilliant an offensive player that we don't need to add much offensive firepower.  I think we just need better defensive players and better rebounding.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd: Lively and Grant's sprains "Mild"- day to day - surfpuckmd - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 03:01 PM)F Gump Wrote: I understand the pushback on OMax. The hype excited me, too. I get that he's a lottery ticket. The fact that he's not already rotation level is not my issue.

I think we're not accustomed to having draft picks with potential who aren't ready to play immediately. We don't understand how to deal with the hope and the disappointment. 

The reality is that he has the size and athleticism to be an all-NBA defensive player someday.  He can actually handle the ball a little bit as well.  

The other reality is that he can't shoot.  There are a lot of similar athletes currently relegated to playing internationally because they can't shoot either.