MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - BigDirk41 - 12-21-2023

This is crazy

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 12-21-2023

(12-21-2023, 06:53 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Luka and Exum out tomorrow for the game with everyone who has missed games.

The new training staff is doing great.  Kidding but this is comical

DJJr would probably take it upon himself to play harder than he used to, and gets injured in the process.
Might as well sit DJJ too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - ThisIStheYear - 12-22-2023

(12-21-2023, 12:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dante Exum currently leads the team in 3p% at 42.6%. Given his troubles his first go-round in the NBA, who saw that coming? Luka-Lively-Dante. Favorite Mav trio, perhaps all-time (wasn't here in the Blackman-Aguirre years).

Given his dramatically improved shooting in Europe, the Mavs may have.

Is the Mavs pick still top 10 protected. With these injuries they could have a massive losing streak and fall into the lottery. Who are we tanking for this time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - Chicagojk - 12-23-2023

Not huge news...he has earned it. He should be closing most games as well.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1738775838487707649

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - KillerLeft - 12-23-2023

(12-23-2023, 11:22 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not huge news...he has earned it.  He should be closing most games as well. 

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1738775838487707649

Idk, man. Seems huge to me, especially when wondering who goes to the bench.

Williams or DJJ?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 12-24-2023

(12-23-2023, 11:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk, man. Seems huge to me, especially when wondering who goes to the bench.

Williams or DJJ?

Given that Exum and DJJ are both primarily point of attach defenders and Grant Williams is a better weak side defender and plays much bigger than both of them I assume the answer is DJJ.

I actually would go even further and say that the question is not who is being replaced between Williams or DJJ but who is being replaced between Williams or Green. The last time this team healthy (minus Kleber) was that win against the Rockets in late November and at that point Kidd was starting Green over DJJ and at the time it felt like it was more because DJJ coming off the bench provided the second unit with a lot more needed size more so than Green earning the spot. Now we’re at a point where Exum is a clearly better option than Green and does all the things we want Green to do AND can still have DJJ add size to our bench. Bringing Hardaway off the bench with either Green or Exum longterm is not sustainable because of how much size we give up.

The bigger story of all of this aside from who’s starting and finishing now that Exum has been so good is what happens to Green. I have a feeling he gets shopped hard.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - DanSchwartzgan - 12-24-2023

(12-24-2023, 01:11 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I actually would go even further and say that the question is not who is being replaced between Williams or DJJ but who is being replaced between Williams or Green. The last time this team healthy (minus Kleber) was that win against the Rockets in late November and at that point Kidd was starting Green over DJJ and at the time it felt like it was more because DJJ coming off the bench provided the second unit with a lot more needed size more so than Green earning the spot.

That happened once.  DJJ has started every game but that one.  GWill has started every game.  Four of the five games Green started were because either Kyrie or Luka was out.  I’m not sure we can say “Kidd was starting” Green over DJJ when it only happened once.  

Killer is right.  Figuring out which one of DJJ and GWill sits with Exum starting is a big deal (or will be if we can ever field a healthy roster). FWIW, Exum and GWill are +9.5 in 179 minutes. Exum and DJJ are +14.7 in 190 minutes. Also, Exum paired with any of Luka, Kyrie or Lively is double digit positive. The data says this needs to be tried. I don’t think a bench unit featuring Green, THJ, and one of GWill/DJJ with a ball handler is too small if you get a good big on the floor with them. The problem is we don’t have the big that makes that threesome OK.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - Winter - 12-24-2023

(12-24-2023, 04:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That happened once.  DJJ has started every game but that one.  GWill has started every game.  Four of the five games Green started were because either Kyrie or Luka was out.  I’m not sure we can say “Kidd was starting” Green over DJJ when it only happened once.  

Killer is right.  Figuring out which one of DJJ and GWill sits with Exum starting is a big deal (or will be if we can ever field a healthy roster).  FWIW, Exum and GWill are +9.5 in 179 minutes.  Exum and DJJ are +14.7 in 190 minutes.  Also, Exum paired with any of Luka, Kyrie or Lively is double digit positive.  The data says this needs to be tried.  I don’t think a bench unit featuring Green, THJ, and one of GWill/DJJ with a ball handler is too small if you get a good big on the floor with them.  The problem is we don’t have the big that makes that threesome OK.

It seems to me Exum's ability to move the ball and get others involved should play into the math. I see him finishing games for the simple reason that he has so many positives and so few negatives. But he might be better managing the second unit for the first three quarters if everyone is healthy. 

Given Kyrie's health, it may not matter. Exum is so versatile he's likely to get the starting job to cover for someone else's health.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - Chicagojk - 12-24-2023

(12-21-2023, 11:26 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: DJJr would probably take it upon himself to play harder than he used to, and gets injured in the process.
Might as well sit DJJ too.

I think Grant starts.  Although there moments in the first half last night that I was wondering if he could lose his starting spot.   

I think the closing of games is the bigger question.   I would like to see exum in the majority of closing lineups but that may not always be the case.    But the 4 position will be really interesting....if we consider Lively on the floor closing games.   

One thing that I always found interesting, there have been a few times right before the season and early in the season that Zach Lowe mentioned Maxi Kleber when asking who is the Mavs 3rd best player.   His mentioning Kleber always felt odd.  I just don't see it right now.   But he is getting that from somewhere.   If you have three guys who can create finishing the game and a big like Lively, it gives you a lot of flexibility on the fifth guy.    He needs to guard and also protect the paint a little and be able take and hit wide open threes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - ThisIStheYear - 12-24-2023

Luka, Kyrie, Lively, Exum, and DJj are the clear five best players on the roster. No one else even has an argument. They fit together too. A little underpowered at the 4, but they have a true 5 to protect the paint and length with DJj and Exum. They should finish. As for who starts, I’d give this group a starting run for about five minutes then mix in the other guys before coming back to this group to close.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - DanSchwartzgan - 12-24-2023

(12-24-2023, 08:17 AM)Winter Wrote: It seems to me Exum's ability to move the ball and get others involved should play into the math. I seem him finishing games for the simple reason that he has so many positives and so few negatives. But he might be better managing the second unit for the first three quarters if everyone is healthy. 

Given Kyrie's health, it may not matter. Exum is so versatile he's likely to get the starting job to cover for someone else's health.

Covering for someone’s health is basically how we got here.  Exum has started the last nine games and is 16/4/4 with fantastic shooting.  The first two games he started in place of GWill when he was out.  The last seven he replaced Kyrie.  82games is updated through Friday.  We have 21 minutes of Kyrie, Exum, Luka, DJJ and Lively this season.  O is 158 and D is 80.  One thing the 82games stats make clear is that Exum is better when he’s the two next to one of the stars than he is as the PG without those other guys.

I read where Cooperstein thinks DJJ will start and Williams will come off the bench when everyone is healthy.  The conundrum is the more DJJ looks good as a starter, the more difficult it is to keep him this summer.  But, if you move him to the bench when he’s playing really well as a starter, that probably doesn’t help either.  82games lists GWill as the SF next to DJJ as the PF when they play together (but GWill is the PF when he’s not in with DJJ).  GWill is dramatically more effective as the PF than he is as the SF.  If we have played any minutes of Irving, Exum, Luka, GWill and Lively it isn’t many.  82games lists the top 20 lineups for players and that group isn’t in Exum’s top 20 lineups (six minutes for the 20th most used lineup).  I suspect Coop is right that if we ever get to full health it will be GWill to the bench.

Mixing Green, THJ and GWill in with the other five gives you lots of workable solutions.  To Chicago’s point, if we could ever also mix in Maxi (but not as the center), that would be potentially strong too.  But what really needs to happen is finding a defensive center to mix in off the bench.  That would solve a lot of our bench lineup issues.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 12-24-2023

(12-24-2023, 04:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That happened once.  DJJ has started every game but that one.  GWill has started every game.  Four of the five games Green started were because either Kyrie or Luka was out.  I’m not sure we can say “Kidd was starting” Green over DJJ when it only happened once.  

Killer is right.  Figuring out which one of DJJ and GWill sits with Exum starting is a big deal (or will be if we can ever field a healthy roster).  FWIW, Exum and GWill are +9.5 in 179 minutes.  Exum and DJJ are +14.7 in 190 minutes.  Also, Exum paired with any of Luka, Kyrie or Lively is double digit positive.  The data says this needs to be tried.  I don’t think a bench unit featuring Green, THJ, and one of GWill/DJJ with a ball handler is too small if you get a good big on the floor with them.  The problem is we don’t have the big that makes that threesome OK.

Green had actually started 3 games in a row before he was hurt but yes it was just the one where DJJ came off the bench when everyone is healthy.  My only point was that it certainly seemed like Kidd was getting to the point of wanting to find some way to bring size off the bench before everyone got hurt and was already starting to tinker with DJJ being that person. Injuries just derailed that experiment quickly.

Agreed that the bench unit you mentioned is big enough with either GWill or DJJ coming off of it. What I don’t agree with is the 82games data you posted that has GWill as the SF next to DJJ, it’s mostly semantics but with DJJ guarding the point of attack and GWill always guarding the biggest wing weak side I feel like it’s hard to label them the way 82games has. I understand the lineup data shows Exum/DJJ as a better +/- than the Exum/Williams pairing but there’s a lot of noise in there and ignores the fact that DJJ simply can’t guard a lot of the bigger wings that Williams can. I guess there can be a thought that maybe Exum can but we haven’t used him like that all that much this season so it feels like the easiest solution would just let Exum be the point of attack defender with the starters and DJJ come off the bench and figure out who should close as the game goes along.

No matter who starts I have a feeling Exum/Williams/DJJ all play around 30 minutes a night which means Green role is greatly diminished which is the big story going into the trade deadline.

(12-24-2023, 09:23 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Iit’s mostly semantics but with DJJ guarding the point of attack and GWill always guarding the biggest wing weak side I feel like it’s hard to label them the way 82games has. I understand the lineup data shows Exum/DJJ as a better +/- than the Exum/Williams pairing but there’s a lot of noise in there and ignores the fact that DJJ simply can’t guard a lot of the bigger wings that Williams can.

So, here are some more noisy stats.

When GWill is on the floor, the team’s D gives up 119.8 which is 1.8 points worse than when he’s off the court.  When he’s guarding the opponent’s four, the opponent achieves a PER of 21.6.

When DJJ is on the floor, the team’s D gives up 116.8 which is 4.4 points better than when he’s off the court.  When he’s guarding the opponent’s four, the opponent achieves a PER of 17.8.  

You may be too caught up in the idea that DJJ is ‘only’ a point of attack defender.  He has length and mobility that GWill doesn’t and the data says it works better in the aggregate than what GWill has been doing with his ability to body up bigger wings.

(12-24-2023, 09:23 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Green had actually started 3 games in a row before he was hurt but yes it was just the one where DJJ came off the bench when everyone is healthy.

11/25 LAC:   Green off the bench
11/28 HOU:  Green starts in place of DJJ
12/1 MEM:    Green starts in place of Luka
12/2 OKC:    Green inactive

(12-24-2023, 09:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 11/25 LAC:   Green off the bench
11/28 HOU:  Green starts in place of DJJ
12/1 MEM:    Green starts in place of Luka
12/2 OKC:    Green inactive

Ah ya that’s my bad. Not sure why I thought he was still playing for the Thunder.

(12-24-2023, 09:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, here are some more noisy stats.

When GWill is on the floor, the team’s D gives up 119.8 which is 1.8 points worse than when he’s off the court.  When he’s guarding the opponent’s four, the opponent achieves a PER of 21.6.

When DJJ is on the floor, the team’s D gives up 116.8 which is 4.4 points better than when he’s off the court.  When he’s guarding the opponent’s four, the opponent achieves a PER of 17.8.  

You may be too caught up in the idea that DJJ is ‘only’ a point of attack defender.  He has length and mobility that GWill doesn’t and the data says it works better in the aggregate than what GWill has been doing with his ability to body up bigger wings.

Less noisy and quite interesting for sure but now I’m really curious who those PFs are since the same data set says Grant Williams is a SF.

I certainly may be too focused on how they’ve been used so far and not giving them enough credit for their ability to defend bigger wings but there isn’t a +/- number in the world that would make me feel comfortable with DJJ or Exum against KAT, Aaron Gordon, Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard or KD which is what you’re asking them to do. Grant Williams was brought in exactly for those matchups and I doubt they move away from that now.

All just my opinion though and interested to see how these rotations shake out.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - KillerLeft - 12-24-2023

I have always thought DJJ’s best position was the 4. I didn’t expect we’d be debating whether he was more useful there than Williams at the 30 game mark, but now that we’re here I can see him getting the nod.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - Winter - 12-24-2023

(12-24-2023, 09:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, here are some more noisy stats.

You've sold me on the idea of GWill coming off the bench, in which case Green could be important as a creator with the second unit. He's not as good as our primary options, but if Kyrie, Luca, and Exum are in a starting lineup, Green's strengths could still be essential in the rotation where creation might be lacking.

It's beginning to look like Hardy might the candidate most likely to be moved in a trade (but that likely depends on salary as much as skill). While both Green and Hardy have seen some diminishing results lately, Green seems like the more versatile player at this point.

(12-24-2023, 10:11 AM)Winter Wrote: You've sold me on the idea of GWill coming off the bench, in which case Green could be important as a creator with the second unit. He's not as good as our primary options, but if Kyrie, Luca, and Exum are in a starting lineup, Green's strengths could still be essential in the rotation where creation might be lacking.

It's beginning to look like Hardy might the candidate most likely to be moved in a trade (but that likely depends on salary as much as skill). While both Green and Hardy have seen some diminishing results lately, Green seems like the more versatile player at this point.

I would think you can run a rotation where you have at least two of those three on the floor at any given time so I don’t think you need Green or Hardy to run the second unit at all unless we have injuries like we do now. We also have Seth who can help out with that in a pinch. I think Exums coming out as made both Green and Hardy very expendable, the only question is how much value do they have now.