MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Chicagojk - 12-18-2023

Mavs may need to make a decision on how hard they want to try to win tonight. If it looks rough early, they may want to give Luka some rest. Denver is coming off a loss to OKC. Dallas will be without Kyrie and Lively. I am guessing Maxi and Green as well. We will see about the others. Tough place to play anyway.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Chicagojk - 12-18-2023

RIP to a short term Mav. Way too young.

I remember following him in HS. Then at UNC where he had a really good run and won a title. Drafted in the lottery. Thought he would be ok in the pros. Never really found a footing though.

https://goheels.com/news/2023/12/18/tar-heel-eric-montross-succumbs-to-cancer-at-age-52

Luka is at 80% from the line now and is on a hot streak knocking them down right now. Having him at a 80% foul shooter is a great weapons. Especially with Kyrie late in games. Is 80% real?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Reunion Mav - 12-18-2023

If he can groove his current routine and rhythm yes. He has always fallen into search for that feel mode at the line. I like how he looks at the line currently more than the percentage. He looks like the results can last. The first thing that improved was that clutch make the big ones stroke that Dirk had and Kyrie has. Perhaps Kyrie helped Luka get there.

Not wearing Luka down will help him groove this long term and make this real as you say. Fatigue can cause a lazy little fault to change the stroke.

It sure adds to Luka as a weapon. I think him not settling and driving the ball to both score and create assists is another huge improvement this year and reflects his competitive improvement AND trust of his new teammates.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - SleepingHero - 12-18-2023

[Image: y4nsyjqo547c1.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s...6f89611a04]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - MFFL - 12-19-2023

Amazon sniffing around Diamond (Bally)

https://archive.is/EOkUP

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Chicagojk - 12-19-2023

(12-17-2023, 11:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Zach Lowe gave the Mav's some love on the most recent pod.  He thinks our best lineup is Lively, GWill, Exum, Kyrie and Luka which he say have not played a single minute of time this season (quotes Cleaning The Glass).

I haven't listened to this podcast yet but I have been thinking about this.   I think Kyrie and Luka are givens to close games.   Lively is a given too...although a little risky to count on a 19 year old for playoff rounds, but he has earned that spot.  For the rest, I am sure we will see a rotating cast of characters.   I really like how Exum has been playing and think he should be given a lot of opportunity to close games.  But sometimes it may be Jones Jr or Josh Green.  Hardaway too, but I really want the wings to be plus defenders when Luka and Kyrie are healthy.   

My issue is whether it is Exum, Green or Jones at the 3, it just feels like Grant Williams makes that lineup to small.  Maybe this is recency bias over his past few weeks, but I am thinking this is one of the reasons Maxi is so important.    I have not liked Maxi's play this year at all and he has been hurt for a large part of the season.  But he does provide defense, size and a solid open three point shooter.    I am sure Grant will close some games, but I wonder if a healthy Maxi could be a better closing fit.   Just being asked to spread the floor and take wide open threes when available, provide some size inside, and to be able to guard bigger wings.    I just hope that Maxi is still possible.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - mvossman - 12-19-2023

(12-19-2023, 03:18 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I haven't listened to this podcast yet but I have been thinking about this.   I think Kyrie and Luka are givens to close games.   Lively is a given too...although a little risky to count on a 19 year old for playoff rounds, but he has earned that spot.  For the rest, I am sure we will see a rotating cast of characters.   I really like how Exum has been playing and think he should be given a lot of opportunity to close games.  But sometimes it may be Jones Jr or Josh Green.  Hardaway too, but I really want the wings to be plus defenders when Luka and Kyrie are healthy.   

My issue is whether it is Exum, Green or Jones at the 3, it just feels like Grant Williams makes that lineup to small.  Maybe this is recency bias over his past few weeks, but I am thinking this is one of the reasons Maxi is so important.    I have not liked Maxi's play this year at all and he has been hurt for a large part of the season.  But he does provide defense, size and a solid open three point shooter.    I am sure Grant will close some games, but I wonder if a healthy Maxi could be a better closing fit.   Just being asked to spread the floor and take wide open threes when available, provide some size inside, and to be able to guard bigger wings.    I just hope that Maxi is still possible.

If Derrick and Exum can maintain decent shooting, its hard to argue not having both in.  Along with Lively they are our best defenders.  Jones is already regressing towards his recent average and Exum is still a very small sample, but even with average shooting they are probably best options.  I don't think a Lively/DJJ/Luka/Exum/Kyrie lineup will be too small in the playoffs.  In a very small sample (22 minutes) that group is +71.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Chicagojk - 12-19-2023

(12-19-2023, 03:40 PM)mvossman Wrote: If Derrick and Exum can maintain decent shooting, its hard to argue not having both in.  Along with Lively they are our best defenders.  Jones is already regressing towards his recent average and Exum is still a very small sample, but even with average shooting they are probably best options.  I don't think a Lively/DJJ/Luka/Exum/Kyrie lineup will be too small in the playoffs.  In a very small sample (22 minutes) that group is +71.

As you said it is really early to make firm judgements.    I have been very happy with Jones so far.   One of my favorite closing lineups was when Green and Jones finished against Houston and really made hustle plays as Luka and Kyrie took care of the scoring.   I just worry about Jones finishing games against a lot of the bigger teams in the west.    I think the lack of size and rebounding are concerning.  But lets see. We don't really have a ton of options currently.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - Chicagojk - 12-19-2023

I saw on twitter that today marks the 6th week Maxi has been out and Green for 2 weeks.

Maxi dilocated his toe and missed a week and then came back for one game and then missed 6 weeks. Why did he even play that game? Seems pretty careless seeing his has been out for 6 weeks. Are they really ramping him up slowly to make sure he is 100%. Mavs have new trainers. I wouldn't blame them for all the injuries but it has been a tough stretch.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - SleepingHero - 12-20-2023

(12-19-2023, 08:35 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I saw on twitter that today marks the 6th week Maxi has been out and Green for 2 weeks. 

Maxi dilocated his toe and missed a week and then came back for one game and then missed 6 weeks.  Why did he even play that game?  Seems pretty careless seeing his has been out for 6 weeks.  Are they really ramping him up slowly to make sure he is 100%.  Mavs have new trainers.  I wouldn't blame them for all the injuries but it has been a tough stretch.

Maxi is made of glass unfortunately. 

If he comes back and still looks a step or two slow I'd be all over trying to cut the loss and trade him for some value at the TDL.

JamesConway912 - JamesConway912 - 12-20-2023

Devin had a comparable injury iirc and missed a TON of time, I think it might have been months. 

Given that we hear so little about Kleber I doubt we’ll see him in December, maybe not even in January.

Anything new on Lively? Is there a timetable for his return? I’ve seen him wear a walking boot on twitter but nothing in terms of a potential return date.

RE: JamesConway912 - SleepingHero - 12-21-2023

(12-20-2023, 06:09 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Devin had a comparable injury iirc and missed a TON of time, I think it might have been months. 

Given that we hear so little about Kleber I doubt we’ll see him in December, maybe not even in January.

Anything new on Lively? Is there a timetable for his return? I’ve seen him wear a walking boot on twitter but nothing in terms of a potential return date.

Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
There is nothing new regarding injury information for Kyrie Irving, Dereck Lively II, Maxi Kleber, or Josh Green. Jason Kidd says there is "no timetable" for Dereck Lively II's return as he recovers from a left ankle sprain.

No timetable for Lively. He's probably a good 2 weeks away depending on the sprain. His X-Rays were negative. 3 weeks seems right for a moderate sprain.

RE: JamesConway912 - omahen - 12-21-2023

(12-21-2023, 12:30 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
There is nothing new regarding injury information for Kyrie Irving, Dereck Lively II, Maxi Kleber, or Josh Green. Jason Kidd says there is "no timetable" for Dereck Lively II's return as he recovers from a left ankle sprain.

No timetable for Lively. He's probably a good 2 weeks away depending on the sprain. His X-Rays were negative. 3 weeks seems right for a moderate sprain.

That is bad. Mavs are in danger to run Luka to the ground, just as it happened last season. Another 44 min game against Clippers.

RE: JamesConway912 - mvossman - 12-21-2023

(12-21-2023, 03:01 AM)omahen Wrote: That is bad. Mavs are in danger to run Luka to the ground, just as it happened last season. Another 44 min game against Clippers.

The 36 minutes in Denver was insanely stupid.  At least they had a shot last night.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 12-21-2023

Should’ve rested Luka for the Denver game. We have a back2back Friday away and Saturday home. Xmas day late game in Phoenix. And then a home and away b2b. After that we have a game every other day until Jan.20th. I hope Kidd sits Luka against SA on Saturday. We should be playing for something bigger down the line at this point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - Scott41theMavs - 12-21-2023

Dante Exum currently leads the team in 3p% at 42.6%. Given his troubles his first go-round in the NBA, who saw that coming? Luka-Lively-Dante. Favorite Mav trio, perhaps all-time (wasn't here in the Blackman-Aguirre years).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka player of the week - rocky164 - 12-21-2023

(12-21-2023, 12:16 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Should’ve rested Luka for the Denver game. We have a back2back Friday away and Saturday home. Xmas day late game in Phoenix. And then a home and away b2b. After that we have a game every other day until Jan.20th. I hope Kidd sits Luka against SA on Saturday. We should be playing for something bigger down the line at this point.

5 games in 7 days starting tomorrow.  6 in 9 if you count last night.  Brutal scheduling for a healthy deep team.  But for this current healthy version of the Mavs 2-3 over the next five is understandable.  3-2 more likely.  1-4 and 4-1 not out of the realm of possibility. BUT i think Luka showed last night that these 40+ minute games are catching up to him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - SleepingHero - 12-21-2023

Landon Thomas (@sixfivelando)
Kyrie Irving and Dereck Lively II are no longer in walking boots. Good to see progress with them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie and Lively no longer in boots - Chicagojk - 12-21-2023

Luka and Exum out tomorrow for the game with everyone who has missed games.

The new training staff is doing great. Kidding but this is comical