MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: KP speaks on why his time in Dallas didn't work| Green out 2wks - surfpuckmd - 12-15-2023

(12-13-2023, 02:42 PM)WillE Wrote: Did the last few games change your view on his outside shooting?

The raw numbers look pretty decent to me and if he's able to sustain those, he gives the coaches a really hard time about the best rotations.

Yes.  I'm pretty happy with 42% from 3.  I think you can make a good argument that Exum has been our 4th or 5th best player this season.  The signing just keeps getting better and better.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - mvossman - 12-15-2023

(12-15-2023, 08:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: We will see if it lasts (and he can stay healthy), but I have Exum as the fourth best player currently (I have Lively third at the moment).  I will be interested to see how the rotation plays out when everyone is healthy.  Do they put Green back at the starter and at the 6 minute mark bring in Exum and Hardaway.  Or do they role with Exum and just start the rotations with Hardaway coming in at 6 minutes?  At PF, I think I like Grant and Jones as the PF grouping with our current guys.  Maybe Maxi or Morris get run depending on the matchups.  Then we have the backup center position where Maxi, Dwight and Holmes are fighting for that 15-20 minutes. 

It feels like when everyone is healthy Seth, Hardy and Green could be in trouble of getting long runs.    It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

EPM is very noisy this early in the season, but it agrees with your (and my) eye test.  It has:

Luka
Kyrie
Lively
Exum
DJJ
Timmy
Williams
Powell

Kind of crazy that our 3-5 guys were all acquired this last offseason and making less than 5 mil a year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - dirkfansince1998 - 12-15-2023

Exum is running away with the +/- and lineup data darling award.

+15 on court + 18.1 on/off (2nd best is Curry with +10.3), offense is 11.4pts better (best on the team), defense is 6.8pts better (third on the team behind Curry and DJJ)

Looking at lineups. Ignoring less than 15 minutes next to Kleber and Lawson all two-man combinations that feature Exum have a positive net rating.
Next to the starters:
DJJ + 23 (92.5 D-Rating!)
Lively +22.4
Williams +20.9
Doncic +18.6
Irving +18.2

Small sample size

Luka/Irving/Exum +49.8 (134.9/85.1)
Irvin/Exum/DJJ/Doncic/Lively +71.3 (147.9/76.6)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - DanSchwartzgan - 12-15-2023

(12-15-2023, 10:52 AM)mvossman Wrote: EPM is very noisy this early in the season, but it agrees with your (and my) eye test.  It has:

Luka
Kyrie
Lively
Exum
DJJ
Timmy
Williams
Powell

Kind of crazy that our 3-5 guys were all acquired this last offseason and making less than 5 mil a year.

Williams is ranked in the  50th percentile.  That's disappointing, but dead in line with prior two seasons.  DJJ isn't that far off his norm in this metric either.  Powell has seen a big drop off (his past two seasons have been 77 and 82).  Green was a 60 last season (better early and worse after the injury).  A few years ago Holmes was actually in the 90's.

Using GWill at the 50th percentile as the cutoff, if you go team by team, here is the list of anyone who has been mentioned in recent days who ranked higher than that:

52  DFS
52  Hayward
86  Caruso
67  Vucevic
62  Drummond
62  P. Williams
63  Bojan (5 games)
78  Hartenstein (not likely with Robinson out)
70  J. Isaac
89  Anunoby
87  Siakam
71  Poeltl
71  Gafford
67  Kuzma
93  Markkanen
65  J. Grant

The real difference makers (Markkanen, Siakam, OG and Caruso) will be very expensive.  Anyone else isn't much of an upgrade or has to be projected based on past performance and fit.   For instance, John Collins is a 36 right now, was a 50 last season with the bad finger and was an 86, 90 and 93 the three seasons prior.  What number would he likely achieve if he was here?  My guess is it would be higher than 36 (BTW, there were a couple of D-EPM's in the 70's in recent years).  

Olynyk is also reported as a Jazz player likely to be moved.  He's a 42 right now, but his prior 3 seasons were 75, 78 and 78.  A good front office doesn't reject a player based on bad current numbers on a bad team.  They project what a player might do here based on fit and past performance.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - mvossman - 12-15-2023

(12-15-2023, 01:16 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Williams is ranked in the  50th percentile.  That's disappointing, but dead in line with prior two seasons.  DJJ isn't that far off his norm in this metric either.  Powell has seen a big drop off (his past two seasons have been 77 and 82).  Green was a 60 last season (better early and worse after the injury).  A few years ago Holmes was actually in the 90's.

Using GWill at the 50th percentile as the cutoff, if you go team by team, here is the list of anyone who has been mentioned in recent days who ranked higher than that:

52  DFS
52  Hayward
86  Caruso
67  Vucevic
62  Drummond
62  P. Williams
63  Bojan (5 games)
78  Hartenstein (not likely with Robinson out)
70  J. Isaac
89  Anunoby
87  Siakam
71  Poeltl
71  Gafford
67  Kuzma
93  Markkanen
65  J. Grant

The real difference makers (Markkanen, Siakam, OG and Caruso) will be very expensive.  Anyone else isn't much of an upgrade or has to be projected based on past performance and fit.   For instance, John Collins is a 36 right now, was a 50 last season with the bad finger and was an 86, 90 and 93 the three seasons prior.  What number would he likely achieve if he was here?  My guess is it would be higher than 36 (BTW, there were a couple of D-EPM's in the 70's in recent years).  

Olynyk is also reported as a Jazz player likely to be moved.  He's a 42 right now, but his prior 3 seasons were 75, 78 and 78.  A good front office doesn't reject a player based on bad current numbers on a bad team.  They project what a player might do here based on fit and past performance.

Player projection is always tricky.  

You can talk yourself into Collins issue last year was finger and this year a lack of interest on a bad team.  He was really good for multiple seasons not long ago.  If your wrong, albatross.

Looking at just small sample of this year for Olynk is struggling.  Normally his prior three years would be much more important, but he is 32.  Are we seeing the start of age decline?  

I can see the argument for signing Drummond after a buyout.  After that, there are not a lot of clear upgrades that would be worth it or we could afford right now.  That list honestly makes me lean even more towards waiting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - ItsGoTime - 12-15-2023

Hayward is the buyout candidate I’m looking for. We also have that $5Mish left in MLE money so we can outbid anyone for him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - SkenfromLMF - 12-15-2023

(12-15-2023, 02:24 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hayward is the buyout candidate I’m looking for. We also have that $5Mish left in MLE money so we can outbid anyone for him.

Not sure Dallas can use all of that MLE before hitting the Apron...
Hayward does do some things for the roster IF he can get 25+ mpg effectively:
1) He would definitively isolate the Guards from the PF's. There should be a clear SF rotation of Hayward and THJ
2) This would then create a rotation of Williams/DJJ most exclusively at PF
3) Exum would emerge as the 3rd PG with Green/Curry/Hardy working as the 2-guard rotation (not much when all the horses are healthy)

The question is who is the roster casualty IF there is not a 2-for-1 trade made prior to adding GH?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - ItsGoTime - 12-15-2023

(12-15-2023, 03:34 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Not sure Dallas can use all of that MLE before hitting the Apron...
Hayward does do some things for the roster IF he can get 25+ mpg effectively:
1) He would definitively isolate the Guards from the PF's. There should be a clear SF rotation of Hayward and THJ
2) This would then create a rotation of Williams/DJJ most exclusively at PF
3) Exum would emerge as the 3rd PG with Green/Curry/Hardy working as the 2-guard rotation (not much when all the horses are healthy)

The question is who is the roster casualty IF there is not a 2-for-1 trade made prior to adding GH?
After looking at it, they have $3.4M under the apron. It won’t be a 2 for 1 deal though. After tonight when Boston beats Orlando because they just didn’t have enough shooting to power through, their GM calls up Nico and the deal becomes:

Bitadze/Harris/Isaac/4 SRPs for THJ/Maxi/Hardy/Morris

Adds about $200k to our spending power making the offer to Hayward roughly $3.6M.

Luka/Kyrie/Hayward/GWill/Lively
Exum/Green/DJJ/Isaac/Bitadze

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Mavs2021 - 12-16-2023

(12-15-2023, 04:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: After looking at it, they have $3.4M under the apron. It won’t be a 2 for 1 deal though. After tonight when Boston beats Orlando because they just didn’t have enough shooting to power through, their GM calls up Nico and the deal becomes:

Adds about $200k to our spending power making the offer to Hayward roughly $3.6M.

That ain´t happening in-season, but Bitadze and Harris are UFA in the summer and Isaac, if Orlando doesn´t want him. Therefore instead of losing them for nothing I could see Orlando agreeing to a Maxi/THJ for Bitadze/Harris/Isaac in the summer. Maybe another with Hayward and Holmes/Green.

Assuming this is legal under the new CBA, no idea where the S&T restrictions kick in.

Doncic/Exum/Curry
Irving/Harris/Hardy
DJJ/Hayward/X
Isaac/Williams/Omax
Lively/Bitadze/Powell

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - ItsGoTime - 12-16-2023

(12-16-2023, 05:39 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That ain´t happening in-season, but Bitadze and Harris are UFA in the summer and Isaac, if Orlando doesn´t want him.
I reject your premise that it won’t happen in-season, but will in the offseason.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Mavs2021 - 12-16-2023

(12-16-2023, 09:20 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I reject your premise that it won’t happen in-season, but will in the offseason.

1. I don´t see Orlando screwing with their current success/chemistry.
2. I think they only let Isaac/Bitadze get away, if they can hook a big fish like Siakam or Anunoby in free agency.

It just doesn´t make sense to do anything in season for them. They are winning for the first time in a decade and they have capspace in the summer, so they don´t need to waste assets now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - ItsGoTime - 12-16-2023

(12-16-2023, 09:24 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 1. I don´t see Orlando screwing with their current success/chemistry.
2. I think they only let Isaac/Bitadze get away, if they can hook a big fish like Siakam or Anunoby in free agency.

It just doesn´t make sense to do anything in season for them. They are winning for the first time in a decade and they have capspace in the summer, so they don´t need to waste assets now.
If they see a reason to get THJ and Maxi, they aren’t waiting till the offseason. OG plays Franz’s position and Siakam plays Banchero’s. No reason to hold out for them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: KP speaks on why his time in Dallas didn't work| Green out 2wks - ThisIStheYear - 12-16-2023

(12-15-2023, 09:57 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Yes.  I'm pretty happy with 42% from 3.  I think you can make a good argument that Exum has been our 4th or 5th best player this season.  The signing just keeps getting better and better.

Arguably 2nd, no worse than 4th and actually 3rd until Kyrie really starts to play. Luka and Lively have been 1 and 2.

(12-16-2023, 09:42 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If they see a reason to get THJ and Maxi, they aren’t waiting till the offseason. OG plays Franz’s position and Siakam plays Banchero’s. No reason to hold out for them.

Eh Anunoby is a SG/SF, Wagner is a SF/PF and Bancheor is a PF/C. They can easily fit them together. Combined with Suggs that´s the deadliest defense in the league outside of Boston. Why risk that for an in-season trade of THJ or Kleber?

Also for the Mavs it makes more sense to use more assets on a Markkanen, Hayward or Washington now, and then improve around the edges in the summer chasing guys like Hartenstein, Bitadze, Bamba, Harris that you can realistically sign using exceptions....

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - mvossman - 12-16-2023

(12-15-2023, 04:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: After looking at it, they have $3.4M under the apron. It won’t be a 2 for 1 deal though. After tonight when Boston beats Orlando because they just didn’t have enough shooting to power through, their GM calls up Nico and the deal becomes:

I'm not against Hayward buyout, but I don't think that starting lineup can play enough defense.  There is nobody to guard the point of attack and not a lot of plus defense in general outside of Lively.  I think he probably comes off the bench and eats heavily into Timmy minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - mvossman - 12-16-2023

(12-16-2023, 10:08 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Eh Anunoby is a SG/SF, Wagner is a SF/PF and Bancheor is a PF/C. They can easily fit them together. Combined with Suggs that´s the deadliest defense in the league outside of Boston. Why risk that for an in-season trade of THJ or Kleber?

Also for the Mavs it makes more sense to use more assets on a Markkanen, Hayward or Washington now, and then improve around the edges in the summer chasing guys like Hartenstein, Bitadze, Bamba, Harris that you can realistically sign using exceptions....

No avenue to Markkanen now, and we are more likely to use our exceptions on retaining current players (DJJ).

RE: MAVS NEWS: KP speaks on why his time in Dallas didn't work| Green out 2wks - surfpuckmd - 12-16-2023

(12-16-2023, 10:00 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Arguably 2nd, no worse than 4th and actually 3rd until Kyrie really starts to play. Luka and Lively have been 1 and 2.

Kyrie is clearly our 2nd best player and has only missed 6 games.

Lively has also been awesome so I'll stick with Exum as our 4th best player with DJJ also having an argument for that 4th spot.

It's all semantical though.  Exum has been an amazing surprise and exactly what we needed as a 3rd guard.  I had high hopes for Jaden Hardy and they're mostly dead currently.  I have grieved and in my grief, Dante Exum has brought me hope.  

DJJ has provided similar hope during the Josh Green collapse.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - DanSchwartzgan - 12-17-2023

Devin graduated from college yesterday.  Wait til you see who the commencement speaker was... Story below:

https://theathletic.com/5140704/2023/12/15/devin-harris-wisconsin-graduation/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=8558216

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - DanSchwartzgan - 12-17-2023

Zach Lowe gave the Mav's some love on the most recent pod.  He thinks our best lineup is Lively, GWill, Exum, Kyrie and Luka which he say have not played a single minute of time this season (quotes Cleaning The Glass).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has right heel bruise | Luka 2nd fastest ever to 1000 3PM - Mavs2021 - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 11:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Zach Lowe gave the Mav's some love on the most recent pod.  He thinks our best lineup is Lively, GWill, Exum, Kyrie and Luka which he say have not played a single minute of time this season (quotes Cleaning The Glass).

I think it´s

Doncic
Irving
Exum
DJJ
Lively

or actually

Doncic
Exum
DJJ
TBTF (to be traded for)
Lively

depending on the match-up. Not sure Kleber (to a contender) in a three-way for Washington was in-play in the summer, but that´s probably the kind of guy we are missing.