MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - SwisherPrice - 11-26-2023

THJ has to go! I go back to the 2022 team that made it far in the playoffs without him. They had 3 ball-handlers who could score, shoot at a decent rate, and also pass/set up others. Luka, Brunson, Dinwiddie could carry the offense and also get good looks for the 3 and D role players.

This team still has the same problems with the stagnant offense as they did last year after Brunson left when it was just Luka/Dinwiddie having to do everything. Obviously they want to upgrade the wing/PF but when shopping THJ, I would also see if you could move him for another ball-handling/scoring guard. Sure, that's supposed to be what Hardy will be but I'm not sure he is going to ever get his chance here to develop to be that guy in the next 2 years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - youzigizag - 11-26-2023

(11-26-2023, 05:42 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: THJ has to go! I go back to the 2022 team that made it far in the playoffs without him. They had 3 ball-handlers who could score, shoot at a decent rate, and also pass/set up others. Luka, Brunson, Dinwiddie could carry the offense and also get good looks for the 3 and D role players.

This team still has the same problems with the stagnant offense as they did last year after Brunson left when it was just Luka/Dinwiddie having to do everything. Obviously they want to upgrade the wing/PF but when shopping THJ, I would also see if you could move him for another ball-handling/scoring guard. Sure, that's supposed to be what Hardy will be but I'm not sure he is going to ever get his chance here to develop to be that guy in the next 2 years.

What sucks about Hardy, and I hate to criticize the kid,  is he has developed his game after And-1 tapes or Allen Iverson highlights.   The game has passed that style up unless you are an elite ballhandler that doesnt turn ball over.   Hardy fumbles the ball into a turnover WAY WAY WAY too much.

He has so much skill...but its a skill that is fun to watch in rec leagues.  You cant show off in the NBA.  Defensive players are too good and fast.  Hardy's game is based on showing off dribbles.   He can shoot...he is fearless at driving to the basket and scoring after contact.  But...he dribbles too much...so much it leads to fumbling turnovers.  

If he has been told to increase his value by "showing out"...its not working.  He would increase his value by refining his skills to be more modern NBA ball-handler-like.

I dont like speaking of trading anyone.   I like the kids overall skill...just in an And-1 video kind of way.   I would shop unless you know that in practice he can facilitate without turnovers and can shoot lights out when told to.   If he shows in practice a more refined game than what we see in real games...then thats a different story.   But if he is what he is...a dribbler who turns ball over...I would shop him asap.

Not denying the kid has immense talent.   But if he seems to not be refine-able...I would shop.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - Jason Terry - 11-26-2023

Hardy isn’t ready and probably won’t be next year. Then he’s an RFA. He’s the one to trade. But only if we get value from the other team. If not then we hang onto him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - youzigizag - 11-26-2023

(11-26-2023, 10:31 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Hardy isn’t ready and probably won’t be next year. Then he’s an RFA. He’s the one to trade. But only if we get value from the other team. If not then we hang onto him.

I'll pass unless he shows more refined Modern NBA skills.

Does his shooting and THJ shooting not entice Orlando into some trade that works for both parties?  3 team trade?

Just saying.

Again...I hate talking down about players skill...Jaden just dribbles too much and turns ball over too much for my preference of Modern NBA bball.  HE IS SKILLED.  HE MIGHT BE A SNIPER WE REGRET LOSING.

Orlando seems to be searching for shooting...and Mavs have two players that can help them. Orlando has long, athletic defensive players Mavs could use.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - SleepingHero - 11-27-2023

Hardy has an uncanny ability to attack the rim and draw fouls. That is one of the most telling skills in terms of ceilings. We're not even 12 months removed from seeing him score 1 point for every 1 minute of game time as a rookie. Was it mostly in garbage time? Sure. But that doesn't normally occur even in garbage time that consistently.

The issue with Hardy right now is he has no clear defined role in the offense or even on the team. Kidd plays him in spot minutes in random quarters depending on how poorly other players are performing that night. Hard to find a rhythm that way at all. He mostly just stands around whenever he's paired with Luka. And he usually receives the ball only after Luka has dribbled out the shot clock and hasn't created anything.

Again does that always happen? No. Kidd HAS run some Iverson cuts for Hardy to middling success. He has also given Hardy the same multi screen set we've run for THJ at the top of the key again to middling success.

The only way Hardy will take off is if this team is restructured and he's given a bigger role. There will be growing pains. The question is do we want to invest that much into him?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-27-2023

(11-25-2023, 05:04 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: They have enough assets to put together a nice package for Lavine, who is a better play-maker than THJ. If they wanted to make a move, why settle for Timmah. 

I think they´ll just enjoy the ride and grow together.

I feel like you just answered your own question of why settle for Timmy.  Wouldn't require much breaking up of their core compared to what they would have to do to get Lavine so they can still continue to grow together and Hardaway's contract isn't going to hinder their roster building moving forward whereas Lavine's contract is going to be pretty heavy in their pockets.

I think Hardaway to Orlando makes a lot of sense but I think that would happen in more of a three team trade where Orlando assets are going somewhere else.  Orlando has a bunch of picks to spend on a player like Hardaway but I would think we're searching for more on court help.  I could see a Charlotte/Orlando/Dallas deal with Hardaway landing in Orlando, Washington landing in Dallas and draft capital going to Charlotte.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - Chicagojk - 11-27-2023

Help me out here of something I have been thinking about recently. Luka is obviously one of the best players in the league. But I just feel like his plus/minus doesn't always reflect this. I got the same impression during the last Jalen season is the team made a lot of their runs when Luka rested. That may not be fair and maybe not even accurate. It just feels like one of the top 5 players in the league should feel his impact by us stretching leads when he is in the game. Does anyone else feel this while watching the games? Is it even accurate?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - dirkfansince1998 - 11-27-2023

(11-27-2023, 12:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Help me out here of something I have been thinking about recently.  Luka is obviously one of the best players in the league.  But I just feel like his plus/minus doesn't always reflect this.  I got the same impression during the last Jalen season is the team made a lot of their runs when Luka rested.  That may not be fair and maybe not even accurate.    It just feels like one of the top 5 players in the league should feel his impact by us stretching leads when he is in the game.    Does anyone else feel this while watching the games?  Is it even accurate?

Spot on. He comes up short compared to other elite players. There is obviously some lineup related stuff but in the end it comes down to the inability to defend when Luka is on the floor. Even this year with with slightly improved effort he is taking too many plays off. Luka can single-handedly carry the team in any given game but the consistency isn't where it needs to be.
We also have to talk about Luka as a plus rebounder. When was the last time he actually tried to box out. 

But this is not only on Luka. It is also about the way the Mavs are handling this. There is no accountability. And it starts with the coach. I cannot remember a single post game interview where Kidd took the blame or at least explained why his adjustments didn't work. Usually the answer is "I am not playing" "I am not on the floor". People often talk about the Heat culture. Hard work. Effort. Accountability. What is the Mavs identity?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - BigDirk41 - 11-27-2023

(11-27-2023, 12:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Help me out here of something I have been thinking about recently.  Luka is obviously one of the best players in the league.  But I just feel like his plus/minus doesn't always reflect this.  I got the same impression during the last Jalen season is the team made a lot of their runs when Luka rested.  That may not be fair and maybe not even accurate.    It just feels like one of the top 5 players in the league should feel his impact by us stretching leads when he is in the game.    Does anyone else feel this while watching the games?  Is it even accurate?

I think his impact would obviously be better with better defense, but also better shot selection. He does way too many heat checks every game and probably at least 5 shots a game that shouldn't be taken or they could have been taken from a better spot.

We wouldn't have near as many close games if Luka didn't take step back 3 after step back 3 to try to "finish" opponents. If he would just drive the ball when we get up big, they wouldn't rally all the time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Eliminated from In Season Tourny| Lively OUT tmrw - SleepingHero - 11-27-2023

You're absolutely correct.

I think since the beginning of his 3rd season Luka has fallen into some terrible habits. Everything we've been repeating ad nauseum. It's also reflected in his On/Off. He takes plays off and he really couldn't give less of a crap about the regular season. His regular season On/Off for his career is sitting at a +0.9. That's hilariously bad for a top 5 player.

But what is interesting when it comes to the playoffs, Luka's On/Off jumps to +11.8. That's nearly an 11 point swing and the difference between winning a close game and blowing out another team.

I think the primary reason is that Luka just really couldn't give less of a crap about the regular season. You see it in his responses and general attitude to games. The only time he cares about a regular season matchup is if it's against an opponent that has guys he wants to prove a point to OR if the fate of the playoffs are on the line. 

I see the argument for both sides. On the one hand, Luka is pacing himself and is gearing up for what really matters in the end. On the other, his coasting is stagnating the team overall and is potentially putting the team in peril of missing the playoffs, making his pacing all for naught. I don't care if Luka takes off regular season games. I just would rather he do it by doing all the good stuff he does in the playoffs and just sit the last 2 quarters in a blowout vs. getting mad, playing 8v5 against the refs the whole game, and not getting back. 

I love Luka. He's is in the upper echelon of players I've ever seen. He is unfortunately his own biggest kryptonite.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Maxi still out - SleepingHero - 11-27-2023

Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Some Dallas Mavericks injury notes:

Luka Doncic: An MRI in Dallas indicates a left thumb sprain. He practiced today and will play on Tuesday.

Dereck Lively II: Participated in practice today and is questionable for Tuesday. The Mavs will "see how he feels" tomorrow.

Maxi Kleber: Still out. Nothing new.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Maxi still out - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-27-2023

(11-27-2023, 03:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Some Dallas Mavericks injury notes:

Luka Doncic: An MRI in Dallas indicates a left thumb sprain. He practiced today and will play on Tuesday.

Dereck Lively II: Participated in practice today and is questionable for Tuesday. The Mavs will "see how he feels" tomorrow.

Maxi Kleber: Still out. Nothing new.

Dodged a huge bullet here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - ItsGoTime - 11-27-2023

Maxi still out with a dislocated PINKY toe. That guy has no clue how to compartmentalize pain.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - Chicagojk - 11-28-2023

Mavs defense talk

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/11/the-mavericks-defense-is-awful-again-is-there-any-hope-for-better/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-28-2023

(11-28-2023, 10:45 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs defense talk

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/11/the-mavericks-defense-is-awful-again-is-there-any-hope-for-better/

It's crazy that this article is almost exactly what he had written last year.

The roster is simply too small.  We can give Hardaway all the props he deserves for shooting well this year but when you're having to play him at POWER FORWARD, you're going to lose a ton of games.  I truly believe that a simple swap of Hardaway for a bigger wing player of similar production on both ends would pay huge dividends.  We just need a more balanced roster.

To be taken seriously we still need to find (and I'm basically excluding Maxi when I say these things because he's always hurt, in theory he may give us some of this):

A true starting power forward
A better backup center
A two way wing who can guard the POA

In a world where you can do those things using Hardaway this trade deadline and then next offseason Holmes' expiring paired with picks (and probably Maxi) and potentially have bench unit that includes Green/GWill/Hardy then you've done pretty well for yourself.

It's possible to get those things, it's just going to take a couple cycles of roster movement.  Best bet would be having something on paper that matches that before the start of next season.  Will be interesting to see how they navigate those needs and the time it takes while knowing Kyrie is going to start battling father time before not too long.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - IamDougieFresh - 11-28-2023

The Adelson family is in the process of buying a significant stake in the Dallas Mavericks,
@TheSteinLine has learned.

League sources say Mark Cuban would continue to retain operational control of the team.

More to come on this breaking news via http://marcstein.substack.com

https://x.com/TheSteinLine/status/1729639612048416887?s=20

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - youzigizag - 11-28-2023

What does this mean? Anything?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - dirkfansince1998 - 11-28-2023

(11-28-2023, 06:41 PM)youzigizag Wrote: What does this mean?  Anything?

Mavs will trade for Jonathan Isaac. Or become the first all white team in the league.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - IamDougieFresh - 11-28-2023

(11-28-2023, 06:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs will trade for Jonathan Isaac. Or become the first all white team in the league.

A rare look into the mind of a Dwight Powell super fan. Thank you for this and I'll be sure to document it in my research.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Luka has left thumb sprain, still practiced. Lively questionable - Jym - 11-28-2023

New owner already showing incredibly bad decision making to let Cuban run their team
We'll see how this goes