MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - KillerLeft - 11-22-2023

(11-21-2023, 09:28 PM)The Jom Wrote: I dunno man. I usually love your posts. But the only way you can sell high on Hardaway is if you actually sell when he’s high.

Did you mean to reply to me here? Because my point was NOT to sell Hardaway. Am I misunderstanding your point?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - KillerLeft - 11-22-2023

(11-21-2023, 06:07 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I dont want to get banned...Im not trying to be negative...

But I tooted this horn on my last username(IM THANKFUL TO STILL BE ABLE TO VIEW AND POST)...

What a bizarre way to start a post. Super, super weird. Has anyone given you anything other than an enthusiastic welcome? What was your last username?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-22-2023

(11-21-2023, 06:07 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I dont want to get banned...Im not trying to be negative...

But I tooted this horn on my last username(IM THANKFUL TO STILL BE ABLE TO VIEW AND POST)...

But I started following when Rick was coach but the same theme still seems stand....

THE FIRST HALF OF THE SEASON IS ABOUT EXPERIMENTATION AND FIGURING THINGS OUT.   Can we at least approach convos with this in mind.

Kidd...maybe even Rick...made bad rotation decisions with games or playoff games on the line...but its pretty obvious that until about 60% of season is over the Mavs dont start playing rotations the way the board would prefer them.  Even then its suspect.   But we have to wait.  It might fly in the face of being able to determine who should be on the block at TDL...but it seems thats the way it is.

We are still in experimentation/coach-do-what-he-want phase.

There is still probably good data from that...but we arent getting solid 7 man rotation vs other teams 7 man rotation data anytime soon.  At least 7 vs 7 and both teams are trying hard.

If I haven't been banned, you good.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - ItsGoTime - 11-22-2023

When there isn’t a post going at people personally, I don’t understand why getting banned is even on the table? I feel like I’m getting Punk’d, is Ashton around here somewhere?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - surfpuckmd - 11-22-2023

But I started following when Rick was coach but the same theme still seems stand....

THE FIRST HALF OF THE SEASON IS ABOUT EXPERIMENTATION AND FIGURING THINGS OUT.   Can we at least approach convos with this in mind.

Kidd...maybe even Rick...made bad rotation decisions with games or playoff games on the line...but its pretty obvious that until about 60% of season is over the Mavs dont start playing rotations the way the board would prefer them.  Even then its suspect.   But we have to wait.  It might fly in the face of being able to determine who should be on the block at TDL...but it seems thats the way it is.

We are still in experimentation/coach-do-what-he-want phase.

There is still probably good data from that...but we arent getting solid 7 man rotation vs other teams 7 man rotation data anytime soon.  At least 7 vs 7 and both teams are trying hard.

If criticizing our coach resulted in a ban from this message board, this message board would be desolate.  I think there may be two posters who think Jason Kidd is a good coach.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-22-2023

(11-22-2023, 06:54 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: If criticizing our coach resulted in a ban from this message board, this message board would be desolate.  I think there may be two posters who think Jason Kidd is a good coach.

And they're both Cuban's bunner accounts.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - SleepingHero - 11-23-2023

Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine)
Dereck Lively II is walking under his own power near the Mavericks' locker room and insists that "I'm fine."

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - The Jom - 11-23-2023

(11-22-2023, 04:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Did you mean to reply to me here? Because my point was NOT to sell Hardaway. Am I misunderstanding your point?

Yep. My point is that selling now would be selling high. If they hold onto him because he’s playing/shooting so well, it’s probably gonna be too late, no?

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - SleepingHero - 11-23-2023

[Image: 7pkkyjege12c1.jpg?width=676&auto=webp&s=...f99882fdca]

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - surfpuckmd - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 03:03 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: 7pkkyjege12c1.jpg?width=676&auto=webp&s=...f99882fdca]

That made me laugh.  However,...

Kyrie has been great here.  He's the 2nd-superstar we've been trying to find since we drafted Luka.  He's the rare brilliant offensive player who is willing to defer to our high-usage superstar.  He's actually working hard on defense.  He is really fun to watch.

I think we should all be grateful to have Kyrie Irving on this team.  We also acquired him at a huge discount.  Our team has a lot of issues but Kyrie isn't one of them right now.  Let's wait until he does something bad before we complain about him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - ThisIStheYear - 11-23-2023

People can think what they want about Kyrie. I understand. But when he’s engaged, his teams win a hell of a lot of games. He’s not some individual stat monster. He wins. His play is elite in big moments.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-23-2023

Our core is Luka, Kyrie, and Lively.

GWill, Green, and (surprisingly) THJ are excellent role players.

Next level I'd say is Exum, DJJ, and Hardy.

Holmes showed what he's still able to do last night. Be a rebounder and rim protector.

IMO, Powell, Maxi, and Curry are done.

Ideally, we need a PF/C who can more than cover the 4 and the 5, able to play next to Lively. IMO Zach Collins is perfect.

Second wish would be an OG type, SF/PF 2way player. IMO Tari Eason is perfect and without the OG pricetag.

Assuming it'd take THJ, Hardy, Maxi, 27FRP...
Luka
Kyrie, Green
Tari, DJJ
Z.Collins
Lively, Holmes

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - BolsDamols - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 05:46 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: That made me laugh.  However,...

Kyrie has been great here.  He's the 2nd-superstar we've been trying to find since we drafted Luka.  He's the rare brilliant offensive player who is willing to defer to our high-usage superstar.  He's actually working hard on defense.  He is really fun to watch.

I think we should all be grateful to have Kyrie Irving on this team.  We also acquired him at a huge discount.  Our team has a lot of issues but Kyrie isn't one of them right now.  Let's wait until he does something bad before we complain about him.

am i missing something? I thought SH was just saying that Kyrie is clutch

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 08:49 AM)BolsDamols Wrote: am i missing something? I thought SH was just saying that Kyrie is clutch

Yup.  Only a motorhead would get it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - KillerLeft - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 01:48 AM)The Jom Wrote: Yep. My point is that selling now would be selling high. If they hold onto him because he’s playing/shooting so well, it’s probably gonna be too late, no?

Why sell him at all, if they’re trying to win now? He really might be the 6th man of the year. I am not in the camp that he’s easily replaceable.

I couldn’t care less about “selling high” on him. His biggest value is going to be his small-medium sized contract expiring next year.

(11-23-2023, 08:36 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: People can think what they want about Kyrie. I understand. But when he’s engaged, his teams win a hell of a lot of games. He’s not some individual stat monster. He wins. His play is elite in big moments.

Agreed. I still think there’s a better than we think chance of major drama happening, but in this idealized version of how it’s playing out, my only real complaint is that he’s just not on the right timeline, career wise. Still, even that might be helpful for the young team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - omahen - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 11:43 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Why sell him at all, if they’re trying to win now? He really might be the 6th man of the year. I am not in the camp that he’s easily replaceable.

I couldn’t care less about “selling high” on him. His biggest value is going to be his small-medium sized contract expiring next year.

At least on this board there are very few that think that Mavs can win now with this team. So why not increase the asset base with someone that is not a great fit going forward? THJ has been very good offensively, but offense never really was a problem. Mavs desperately need better defenders next to Luka/Kyrie duo.

It is true that it will be easier to move his expiring deal. But the idea discussed here is - would it make sense to cash in for THJ for a similar size (and duration) contract and assets(s). For eaxample Orlando and Isaac. Mavs would still have expiring contract to deal in the summer and another pick in the chest. I don't think they would be any worse dealing THJ even as good as he was so far. Even if they lose a couple of games because of that, so what. Its about long term, not about having a couple of more wins this season.

I am not saying I would actively shop him. But, if teams are calling and have interest, I would listen.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - KillerLeft - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 12:15 PM)omahen Wrote: At least on this board there are very few that think that Mavs can win now with this team. So why not increase the asset base with someone that is not a great fit going forward? THJ has been very good offensively, but offense never really was a problem. Mavs desperately need better defenders next to Luka/Kyrie duo.

It is true that it will be easier to move his expiring deal. But the idea discussed here is - would it make sense to cash in for THJ for a similar size (and duration) contract and assets(s). For eaxample Orlando and Isaac. Mavs would still have expiring contract to deal in the summer and another pick in the chest. I don't think they would be any worse dealing THJ even as good as he was so far. Even if they lose a couple of games because of that, so what. Its about long term, not about having a couple of more wins this season.

I am not saying I would actively shop him. But, if teams are calling and have interest, I would listen.

The longer they go without popping my impression bubble of them, the more I think they can make some noise this year. I admit it still feels strange even to think of them contending, but so far, so good.

Ultimately, I agree - trade him if the deal is right. I’m just saying, he’s holding up his end and THEN SOME, as far as I’m concerned. In no way am I interested in removing him just to remove him, which is an attitude that still prevails around here for whatever reason.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - DallasMaverick - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 12:15 PM)omahen Wrote: At least on this board there are very few that think that Mavs can win now with this team. So why not increase the asset base with someone that is not a great fit going forward? THJ has been very good offensively, but offense never really was a problem. Mavs desperately need better defenders next to Luka/Kyrie duo.

I think they can win now.  History has shown that a team can get hot at the right moments, catch an opponent during a significant injury, or just end up with a favorable matchup.  

Dallas has enough offensive firepower to win a game against any opponent, when they're hitting.

On the other hand, any good GM should be continually listening when approached with potential deals.  Even for star players, like Luka.  Would you take Gilgeous-Alexander, Chet Holmgren, and all of OKC's stockpile of first-round picks for Luka?

RE: MAVS NEWS: DLive walks out under his own power, says "hes fine" - omahen - 11-23-2023

Lets put on the table this question - does good version of THJ have more value now or next season as expiring contract? Tanking teams don't need good version of THJ. I don't think they would see him as any more than expiring contract that they will try to flip or (if not successful) just release to allow him to go to a contender.

On the other hand you have teams that are looking to get better. I think it totally depends on a specific situation related to the status of their cap space. Some might prefer expiring contract as it would reduce their payroll for next season. Others might value to have an expiring deal on their roster for next season as it would give them trade flexibility. Team like Orlando could have close to max cap space next season, so getting THJ could ruin their summer plans.

(11-23-2023, 12:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The longer they go without popping my impression bubble of them, the more I think they can make some noise this year. I admit it still feels strange even to think of them contending, but so far, so good.

Ultimately, I agree - trade him if the deal is right. I’m just saying, he’s holding up his end and THEN SOME, as far as I’m concerned. In no way am I interested in removing him just to remove him, which is an attitude that still prevails around here for whatever reason.

I don't agree that is the attitude. People are talking about selling high, not dumping him. I don't think anyone is saying THJ is not a good player. But, he is redundant to what Mavs have and need.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - omahen - 11-23-2023

(11-23-2023, 12:23 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think they can win now.  History has shown that a team can get hot at the right moments, catch an opponent during a significant injury, or just end up with a favorable matchup.  

Dallas has enough offensive firepower to win a game against any opponent, when they're hitting.

I simply don't agree they can win now. If anything, two games against league elite (Denver and Milwaukee) exposed all the limitations of this team, as they simply can't put enough defensive resistance. So much, that even elite offense (game against Milwaukee) isn't enough for a win. Sure they can win against any opponent on a right day, but no way imho they can win four best of seven series against top teams.