MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - youzigizag - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 08:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So...I've never been a fan of McGee, and didn't want him here either time he was a Mav. And, I'm super happy he's gone. BUT...

Can we talk about how much better he looks the second he gets to a different team? Is this a Kidd thing? A Luka thing? Who was it who hated him so much, I wonder? He's kind of the exact player they need right now, isn't he?

Man o man...

I agree.  These guys look better when they leave Dallas.  

Ive only been following closely since the Luka Era...but there is something to this Luka ball or scheme that seems to cause problems with putting guys around him.   He's doing his job...still getting most openly 3 looks for teammates....but something just seems hard to work with when dealing with Luka ball.  Nothing against Luka what so ever.

I do find it funny that KP now says "Im more effective as the 3rd or 4th option on offense"  after he leaves the Mavs.

KP over came his injury and turns into the exact player we needed after leaving?   Just bad luck?

Kyrie is unselfish and a good guy to have around Luka...but I think it will be hard to find two ways since a lot of guys would rather play somewhere they can be involved more on offense.   Brunson wasnt about to play second fiddle.   Jerami Grant is a recent example of a guy wanting to be involved on offense.

I do wonder if there are murmurings around players in the NBA that even with Luka being Super Nova if players would rather tell their agent they want to pass on the inquiry from Dallas.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - IamDougieFresh - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 06:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this is a good list. I could go either way on #3, but if I wanted the team to make noise THIS season, I'd probably hold onto Hardaway until the summer, at least. He really, truly is an asset in this 6th man role.

Not only will the team be better defensively by replacing THJ for a gentleman with GIRTH, but the offense will be better with the dynamic Jaden Hardy by seasons end.

Of course it takes two to tango and the other 29 teams probably realize that the THJ cold streak supreme is right around the corner.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Chicagojk - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 08:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So...I've never been a fan of McGee, and didn't want him here either time he was a Mav. And, I'm super happy he's gone. BUT...

Can we talk about how much better he looks the second he gets to a different team? Is this a Kidd thing? A Luka thing? Who was it who hated him so much, I wonder? He's kind of the exact player they need right now, isn't he?

We will see how he does there.  Looked energized last night.  He has always been a wildcard.  He can have amazing plays mixed with stupid stuff.  It appears Luka likes playing with guys who he know will be in the right spot.  They has never been a mcgee speciality.

What bothered me last night was thinking of those veiled comments Cuban made this summer.  Supposedly about McGee and Wood. Watching mcgeee last night got me thinking how low class that was.  A simple comment saying it didn’t work out and I am sure both of us wished it worked out better.  Period.  But Cuban didn’t do that.  Considering his front office has been as dysfunctional as any, you would think he would take the high road.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - RoyTarpleysGhost - 11-21-2023

I have no idea but it might have just been giving him 3 years guaranteed. Otherwise, I think he’s been playing on one year deals.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - omahen - 11-21-2023

He did a couple of good things and a couple of really stupid ones. But I agree, that dumping McGee at all costs is sort of a mistery. Something had to be happening behind closed doors.

(11-20-2023, 05:56 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 3. THJ Pump and Dump. Pump is going well so far. Will our front office be able to execute the dump? This has to yield us a big PF/SF type.

If you can't get a good player for him at TDL, but you are offered worse player on similar contract and asset(s). Would you do it?

Personally, I would consider it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - dirkfansince1998 - 11-21-2023

Last season the defense was slightly better with Powell on the floor. Don't think he has been any worse this year. Sample sizes are still really small but looking at the available lineup data the Mavs aren't doing him any favors. Lineup with the most minutes (20) features Irving/THJ/Exum/Green next to him. Resulting in a 135.7 defensive rating. In contrast Powell + starters (Doncic/Irving/DJJ/Williams) results in the best defensive rating (96.3) among all 5-man combinations that played more than 10 minutes.
In general playing next to DJJ and to a lesser degree Williams leads to better defensive numbers for most Mavs.

The bench unit is playing without a single SF/PF sized player (not named Luka...who rarely shows enough effort to count). Ignoring trade options the only hope is Kleber returning from his injury and staying healthy enough to play 20+ minutes. A story that is repeating itself year after year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Chicagojk - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 02:59 AM)omahen Wrote: If you can't get a good player for him at TDL, but you are offered worse player on similar contract and asset(s). Would you do it?

Personally, I would consider it.

Hmm...this won't happen because OKC doesn't need him, but I was thinking what Dallas would do if they were offered Bertans and a future first for Hardaway at the deadline.   I would imagine Luka wouldn't think too highly of that but wonder if a package like that would be better to try to move this summer.

(11-21-2023, 07:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Last season the defense was slightly better with Powell on the floor. Don't think he has been any worse this year. Sample sizes are still really small but looking at the available lineup data the Mavs aren't doing him any favors. Lineup with the most minutes (20) features Irving/THJ/Exum/Green next to him. Resulting in a 135.7 defensive rating. In contrast Powell + starters (Doncic/Irving/DJJ/Williams) results in the best defensive rating (96.3) among all 5-man combinations that played more than 10 minutes.
In general playing next to DJJ and to a lesser degree Williams leads to better defensive numbers for most Mavs.

The bench unit is playing without a single SF/PF sized player (not named Luka...who rarely shows enough effort to count). Ignoring trade options the only hope is Kleber returning from his injury and staying healthy enough to play 20+ minutes. A story that is repeating itself year after year.

I think that is right.  I would love to be a fly on the wall inside the team.   Those small lineups where Hardaway is guarding a PF seems to be able to score but give up no resistance.   Not really blaming Hardaway either but they just need some bigger bodies.   It puts a minute crunch though because we have a lot of smaller guys who probably deserve some minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - surfpuckmd - 11-21-2023

(11-20-2023, 06:10 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Im going to wade into uncomfortable territory as I might get ridiculed for this comment...

I was briefly looking at Drummond vs McGee stats last night...admittedly I didnt dive into advanced stats or anything as I dont know what I am looking at....but is Drummond a far superior player than Javale currently?   Javale has played less game and a few less minutes...but Drummond basically has him in rebounds which we need.   My point is...Drummond's name gets flashed around here currently...posters claiming we sniffed around him last year as a trade target...is Javale and Drummond all that different?   Are they completely two different types of players?  Because I just see them as old, unmodern NBA Centers with similar size.   Is Drummond that much more elite at fetching rebounds and to some extent lobs that he is worth pursuing?   Because we just got over a failed experiment with McGee...who I actually think makes players adjust their shot in the paint.  His advanced stats might say he sucks,  everyone here hated him...but is Drummond that far in front of him that it is worth pursuing?

The advanced stats for this year and last indicate that Drummond is a much more effective player than JaVale McGee.  I don't watch a lot of Bulls games but he is definitely a better rebounder than JaVale.  He's one of the best defensive rebounders in the game.  He's not really a shot-blocker anymore but his size in the post helps.  He has thrived as a backup on a bad team.  Mostly, he would correct our lack of size on our 2nd team.  Having Powell play with a lineup of smaller players has been hurting us.  Substituting Drummond shores up our rebounding issue on the 2nd team.  DP would still have a role depending on who we're playing.

Also, Drummond would come cheap in terms of assets and salary.  Much more affordable than some of the other ideas proposed here (Vucevic, Capela).  JaVale McGee could have helped this current Mavericks team had he been used correctly.  We have a bad coach though and I think Luka probably didn't care for JaVale so he was cast away.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - surfpuckmd - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 07:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Last season the defense was slightly better with Powell on the floor. Don't think he has been any worse this year. Sample sizes are still really small but looking at the available lineup data the Mavs aren't doing him any favors. Lineup with the most minutes (20) features Irving/THJ/Exum/Green next to him. Resulting in a 135.7 defensive rating. In contrast Powell + starters (Doncic/Irving/DJJ/Williams) results in the best defensive rating (96.3) among all 5-man combinations that played more than 10 minutes.

It's one of the consequences of starting DJJ over Green.  The defense would be better with DJJ playing next to Powell as he provides some rim protection and is a pretty good defender.  I also think Luka and Powell need to be paired more.  They work well together on offense and Luka's elite rebounding covers DP's below-average rebounding.  Coaching counts and I think it's an issue on this team.

(11-21-2023, 08:23 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Hmm...this won't happen because OKC doesn't need him, but I was thinking what Dallas would do if they were offered Bertans and a future first for Hardaway at the deadline.   I would imagine Luka wouldn't think too highly of that but wonder if a package like that would be better to try to move this summer.

In general teams looking to get better are not really willing to include good players in any deals. On the other hand, bad teams whose goal is to be bad, are not looking for players like THJ. 

Orlando seems like a team most desperate for shooting, while they want to compete. They have some decent size contracts like Fultz, Isaac or Harris and they have picks to offer. None of them really means anything to Mavs. But, perhaps there is a third team to be involved (Harris is expiring and Isaac also technicaly). I don't think Orlando (or any other team) would offer an unprotected pick for THJ. Lottery protected or perhaps a top 10 protected would be realistic. This would increase Mavs asset base for a trade either this season or in the summer. 

Lets say Toronto wants to blow it up. They have no use of THJ in that instance. They want as much flexibility as possible. Mavs also only have one pick to offer at TDL. But if we reroute THJ to a team like Orlando, Mavs could have two picks to offer. 

Mavs could of course wait till summer, but there is a risk that offer is no longer on the table. THJ could get injured, for example. 

Of course nothing will be done until TDL. Just killing time until then.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Chicagojk - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 11:24 AM)omahen Wrote: In general teams looking to get better are not really willing to include good players in any deals. On the other hand, bad teams whose goal is to be bad, are not looking for players like THJ. 

Orlando seems like a team most desperate for shooting, while they want to compete. They have some decent size contracts like Fultz, Isaac or Harris and they have picks to offer. None of them really means anything to Mavs. But, perhaps there is a third team to be involved (Harris is expiring and Isaac also technicaly). I don't think Orlando (or any other team) would offer an unprotected pick for THJ. Lottery protected or perhaps a top 10 protected would be realistic. This would increase Mavs asset base for a trade either this season or in the summer. 

Lets say Toronto wants to blow it up. They have no use of THJ in that instance. They want as much flexibility as possible. Mavs also only have one pick to offer at TDL. But if we reroute THJ to a team like Orlando, Mavs could have two picks to offer. 

Mavs could of course wait till summer, but there is a risk that offer is no longer on the table. THJ could get injured, for example. 

Of course nothing will be done until TDL. Just killing time until then.

I wasn't thinking about this trade deadline with Toronto, but that is interesting.    That GM is a tough one to deal with though.

As you mention there is risk to waiting to the offseason, but I wonder if that will be our best bet if we had a strong interest in OG.  It will be more trickier and more expensive than the Grant Williams sign and trade, but could be similar.   OG would need to tell Toronto he is not resigning and Dallas would need to sell OG that Dallas was the spot.   This offseason Dallas could offer multiple firsts plus expirings.   May be tough for Toronto to swallow if they are not going full rebuild but OG would have some power if Dallas was his choice.

A OG, Grant Williams, Green, Omax and Exum wing rotation looks pretty interesting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - sefant - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 09:36 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: It's one of the consequences of starting DJJ over Green.  The defense would be better with DJJ playing next to Powell as he provides some rim protection and is a pretty good defender.  I also think Luka and Powell need to be paired more.  They work well together on offense and Luka's elite rebounding covers DP's below-average rebounding.  Coaching counts and I think it's an issue on this team.

well, starting 5 with Green have good net ratings.. Green instead of Kyrie (+17) and Green instead of DJJ (+33) have vastly superior net rating compared to the orginal starters (-5). Also his DefRtg seems fine, not playing with THJ/Powell.

[Image: champ.png]

In Exum and Powell's case its only 30 min. Otherwise thats the net ratings of players without THJ/Powell on the floor. In Tim's case without Powell. Its at least interesting that the defense is still bad with Lively. And its pretty much the only guy where the defense is bad. The next worst are Kyrie at 112 and Grant at 111, which is solid.

- Luka/Kyrie/Lively: 114 DefRtg
- Luka/THJ/Lively: 122 DefRtg
- Luka/Tim/Lively (plus Kyrie on bench): 20 DefRtg
- Luka/Kyrie/Lively (plus Tim on bench): 110 DefRtg

Now doing the same with just Kyrie:

- Kyrie/THJ/Lively: 125 DefRtg
- Kyrie/Lively (no THJ) : 112 DefRtg
- Tim/Lively (no Kyrie) : 121 DefRtg

Can't even put the blame on those all guard Luka/Kyrie/Tim lineups.

But yea as i said a few games Green should probably start. And try Exum/DJJ with Powell. Even if it didn't look too good vs. Kings either. But it was also a b2b. Thats the superior rotation based on numbers until Kleber is back.

Solution to improve the defense:

- start Green
- DJJ from the bench
- Experiment to give some of Tim minutes to Exum. And be more careful who is around Tim when you use him.

Even if the offense drops off too much with Exum, maybe you can live with a more scuffed bench offense. In the past the bench offense was also questionable, but the bench defense was always having elite DefRtg with Green/Kleber. If you get stops, you don't need a high powered offense to be positive.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - SleepingHero - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 12:57 PM)sefant Wrote: well, starting 5 with Green have good net ratings.. Green instead of Kyrie (+17) and Green instead of DJJ (+33) have vastly superior net rating compared to the orginal starters (-5). Also his DefRtg seems fine, not playing with THJ/Powell.

In Exum and Powell's case its only 30 min. Otherwise thats the net ratings of players without THJ/Powell on the floor. In Tim's case without Powell. Its at least interesting that the defense is still bad with Lively. And its pretty much the only guy where the defense is bad. The next worst are Kyrie at 112 and Grant at 111, which is solid.

But yea as i said a few games Green should probably start. And try Exum/DJJ with Powell. Even if it didn't look too good vs. Kings either. But it was also a b2b. Thats the superior rotation based on numbers until Kleber is back.

- start Green
- DJJ from the bench
- Experiment to give some of Tim minutes to Exum. And be more careful who is around Tim when you use him.

Even if the offense drops off too much with Exum, maybe you can live with a more scuffed bench offense. In the past the bench offense was also questionable, but the bench defense was always having elite DefRtg with Green/Kleber. If you get stops, you don't need a high powered offense to be positive.

What a post. Thank you for that.

I will say, despite his incredible scoring the team still needs to move on from THJ. I do not think it was a coincidence that the team made a WCF when he went down. They didn't miss him at all.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Scott41theMavs - 11-21-2023

Bad lineups and bad defensive rotations. Guess who the common denominator is there.

This team's success this year will be in proportion to how early in the season Kidd is fired. For those of you who believe there is no circumstance in which he is fired this year, you may be right, but how dreadful for a team with potential. I've said it before - if Kidd isn't fired at all this season, my record prediction is 38-44, just missing the play-in. Yay, we maybe get to keep another pick.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - youzigizag - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 05:06 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Bad lineups and bad defensive rotations. Guess who the common denominator is there.

This team's success this year will be in proportion to how early in the season Kidd is fired. For those of you who believe there is no circumstance in which he is fired this year, you may be right, but how dreadful for a team with potential. I've said it before - if Kidd isn't fired at all this season, my record prediction is 38-44, just missing the play-in. Yay, we maybe get to keep another pick.

I dont want to get banned...Im not trying to be negative...

But I tooted this horn on my last username(IM THANKFUL TO STILL BE ABLE TO VIEW AND POST)...

But I started following when Rick was coach but the same theme still seems stand....

THE FIRST HALF OF THE SEASON IS ABOUT EXPERIMENTATION AND FIGURING THINGS OUT.   Can we at least approach convos with this in mind.

Kidd...maybe even Rick...made bad rotation decisions with games or playoff games on the line...but its pretty obvious that until about 60% of season is over the Mavs dont start playing rotations the way the board would prefer them.  Even then its suspect.   But we have to wait.  It might fly in the face of being able to determine who should be on the block at TDL...but it seems thats the way it is.

We are still in experimentation/coach-do-what-he-want phase.

There is still probably good data from that...but we arent getting solid 7 man rotation vs other teams 7 man rotation data anytime soon.  At least 7 vs 7 and both teams are trying hard.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 12:57 PM)sefant Wrote: well, starting 5 with Green have good net ratings.. Green instead of Kyrie (+17) and Green instead of DJJ (+33) have vastly superior net rating compared to the orginal starters (-5). Also his DefRtg seems fine, not playing with THJ/Powell.

- start Green
- DJJ from the bench

Let's be crazy and wild...  Luka, Kyrie, Exum, GWill, and Lively as starting lineup.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - The Jom - 11-21-2023

(11-20-2023, 06:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this is a good list. I could go either way on #3, but if I wanted the team to make noise THIS season, I'd probably hold onto Hardaway until the summer, at least. He really, truly is an asset in this 6th man role.

I dunno man. I usually love your posts. But the only way you can sell high on Hardaway is if you actually sell when he’s high.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - youzigizag - 11-21-2023

(11-21-2023, 09:28 PM)The Jom Wrote: I dunno man. I usually love your posts. But the only way you can sell high on Hardaway is if you actually sell when he’s high.

Im gonna co-sign unless there is some de-esculating contract excuse that can be sold to me.

Personally...I think his on court behavior has turned teams off to him.  I fault the Mavs entirely for this.  No excuses.

Film dont lie.  Teams pay scouts to watch film.  You cant take it back and Mavs let it happen...till this very day even.   Sad.

I give him credit...he has kept us in games this year with his shot...but Modern NBA is about team ball and making the best out of possessions.   THJ, for the most part,  is contrary to this and looking to launch at all costs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-22-2023

THJ is playing to his contract. His value will never be higher. Except his value as expiring in his last year next year, It's all downhill from here.