MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - SleepingHero - 11-20-2023

Jason Kidd: “Until we can understand and be connected on the defensive end, then we’ll be able to make strides but right now our best defense is our offense. If we aren’t scoring 130, it’s hard to win.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - omahen - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 02:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Jason Kidd: “Until we can understand and be connected on the defensive end, then we’ll be able to make strides but right now our best defense is our offense. If we aren’t scoring 130, it’s hard to win.”

As usual Kidd blaiming the team. Mavs changed several players from last season, but defense it still same crap. At some point one needs to wonder how much of this is on the roster construction and how much on the coach...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Mavs2021 - 11-20-2023

Finding an elite SG/SF and SF/PF will be very difficult and expensive, but the back-up center is really down to gross negligence.

Magic are now 5-3 with Bitadze as a starter. He´s averaging 9 PPG, 7 RPG, 2 BPG, 1 SPG, 1 APG, 59% FG in 24 MPG during that time. He´d have been the perfect plateau center for us.

The Magic have had WCJ, Bamba and Isaac. Yet they picked up Mo Wagner, Bitadze (and BolBol) over the last two years. We had Dwight Powell and picked up nobody.

GOGA IS ALSO A 24 YEAR OLD UFA NEXT SUMMER AGAIN. YELLING AT YOU MBT.

Also Isaac Bonga was all defense first team imho at the World Championships last summer for Germany. He´ll be 24 next summer. He can probably defend one through four.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Nowitzki Way - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 10:54 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Finding an elite SG/SF and SF/PF will be very difficult and expensive, but the back-up center is really down to gross negligence.

The Magic have had WCJ, Bamba and Isaac. Yet they picked up Mo Wagner, Bitadze (and BolBol) over the last two years. We had Dwight Powell and picked up nobody.

These points right here. I've been screaming at my TV for years. I see these teams that have random bigs that destroy us. While we run Dwight Powell out there year after year.

@grantafseth
Dallas Mavericks Defensive Rating By Span:

Whole Season: 118.2 (26th)
Last 10 Games: 120.9 (28th)
Last 5 Games: 122.7 (29th)
Last 3 Games: 124.3 (29th)
Last 2 Games: 130.5 (29th)
Last Game: 134.4 (29th)

The Mavs' defensive woes have only grown as the season has progressed.

@nickvanexit
Mavs Defensive Rating

Lively On, Powell Off: 113.6 (50th Percentile)

Powell On, Lively Off: 128.2 (1st Percentile)

It's not all on DP but he represents the bench unit and the Mavs' Bench Defense has been a big issue.

Lineups with DP & THJ: 132.4 Defensive Rating

(0 Percentile, I did not think that was possible)

Mavs 2-Man Duos With a Defensive Rating Around/Better Than League Average (Min 100 minutes) Per http://NBA.com

108.0 -  Luka & DJJ
108.5 - DLIVE & DJJ
109.1 - Grant & DJJ
110.1 - THJ & DJJ
111.9 - Luka & DLIVE
112.8 - Green & DLIVE
113.0 - Kyrie & DLIVE
113.3 - Grant & DLIVE
113.7 - Luka & Grant

JamesConway912 - JamesConway912 - 11-20-2023

Man, those are some rough numbers for Powell. But the coaching staff also consistently decides to go extra small with the bench lineups in favor of offense so it’s not really a surprise. He’s never been much of a rim protector but playing him in this many extra tiny lineups is like throwing him to the wolves.

In Kidd‘s first years here they tried to make a ton of two big lineups work and now they have basically done a complete 180 and roll out bench units that would make Rick cry in happiness. Just guard next to guard next to guard and then you suddenly have Timmy play SF the majority of his minutes and regularly even PF. 

A lot on this is personnel related but Kidd needs to make an effort to get more size out there. If I’m Kidd at this point I’d:

1 count the hours until Kleber is back so I can plug him in as the bench PF for a while once he is back

2 extend Lively‘s minutes even more due to his visibly positive impact. He is outmatched at times as well but he’s always making it tough to score at the rim and does some damage on the offensive glass every game

3 Even throw in Omax more regularly as the bench PF due to him playing relatively big even if it takes some of the offense away 

4 Cut back some of the lineups where we have three or more of Kyrie/Seth/Hardy/Timmy out there together simultaneously

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - BigDirk41 - 11-20-2023

I don't hate Powell and he's an absolutely great person, teammate and with the community, but he cannot and should not be a regular rotation piece on any team that hopes to be good. He's incredibly soft and can't finish. The team has more issues than Powell, but he really stands out to me as someone who needs replaced. Maxi needs to go to. He's washed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Chicagojk - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 12:02 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @grantafseth
Dallas Mavericks Defensive Rating By Span:

Whole Season: 118.2 (26th)
Last 10 Games: 120.9 (28th)
Last 5 Games: 122.7 (29th)
Last 3 Games: 124.3 (29th)
Last 2 Games: 130.5 (29th)
Last Game: 134.4 (29th)

The Mavs' defensive woes have only grown as the season has progressed.

Yeah, it is concerning.  I brought up before the Milwaukee game why our defense was trending backwards.    Quality of opponents the last two games doesn't help.

The Mavs have a tough riddle with no easy answers.  I think how Hardaway is playing Kidd is probably making the right choice to ride him and hope for the best on defense.   The issue with Hardaway in the game, we get really small, really fast.    With Josh, Hardy, Seth all being pretty small.   So we have seen lineups with Hardaway at the 4.   We have also seen Hardaway at the 4 with either Maxi and Powell as the center.  That is an open invitation to go to the rim every possession.    We just lack that big 4 right now that could help those lineups not bleed points on defense.   Hardaway, Green, Seth and Jaden are all probably shooting guards.   Maybe you disagree on Green but he seems small guarding wings.   A lot of mouths to feed at that spot.  Hardaway with his hot start has really eaten up a lot of those minutes.  To get minutes for others it is causing us to be really small.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - mvossman - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 01:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @nickvanexit
Mavs Defensive Rating

Lively On, Powell Off: 113.6 (50th Percentile)

Powell On, Lively Off: 128.2 (1st Percentile)

It's not all on DP but he represents the bench unit and the Mavs' Bench Defense has been a big issue.

Lineups with DP & THJ: 132.4 Defensive Rating

(0 Percentile, I did not think that was possible)

Mavs 2-Man Duos With a Defensive Rating Around/Better Than League Average (Min 100 minutes) Per http://NBA.com

108.0 -  Luka & DJJ
108.5 - DLIVE & DJJ
109.1 - Grant & DJJ
110.1 - THJ & DJJ
111.9 - Luka & DLIVE
112.8 - Green & DLIVE
113.0 - Kyrie & DLIVE
113.3 - Grant & DLIVE
113.7 - Luka & Grant

Its interesting because Powell had one of the best defensive ratings and defensive on/off last year on a much bigger sample.  Does that mean he was good last year and terrible this year?  Does it mean he is generally playing with a different group of folks who are much worse defensively?  Does is mean that these numbers are very noisy, especially for a 12 game sample?  Its probably some combination of all three.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Chicagojk - 11-20-2023

It feels like the plan was to rely on Maxi to limit Powell and in some cases Lively's minutes. They were hoping Maxi can play 20ish minutes a night.

The two problems about this is 1) Can Maxi still do it? 2) If Maxi is your Center, the Mavs desperately are missing that big wing next to him.

Maybe a Maxi and Powell pairing for 10-15 minutes is the best option with what we have. Maxi just has to prove he can stay healthy and is still the player he was a few years ago.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - RoyTarpleysGhost - 11-20-2023

^ Yep. Team is still very reliant on Maxi to be healthy and good.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - KillerLeft - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 04:49 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It feels like the plan was to rely on Maxi to limit Powell and in some cases Lively's minutes.  They were hoping Maxi can play 20ish minutes a night.

The two problems about this is 1) Can Maxi still do it?  2) If Maxi is your Center, the Mavs desperately are missing that big wing next to him.   

Maybe a Maxi and Powell pairing for 10-15 minutes is the best option with what we have.  Maxi just has to prove he can stay healthy and is still the player he was a few years ago.

This is how I see it, too. 

And I'd add that if/when Green becomes a starter, that frees DJJ to play as that big(er) wing position with the bench unit. 

But yeah, Kleber is the big thing that's missing. Maybe it's just a matter of getting him healthy and in rhythm, or maybe he's on the decline. I don't know, tbh, but I'm pretty confident nobody else here does, either. If the Mavs are relying on him, well...they've been right about a lot recently.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - youzigizag - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 05:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is how I see it, too. 

And I'd add that if/when Green becomes a starter, that frees DJJ to play as that big(er) wing position with the bench unit. 

But yeah, Kleber is the big thing that's missing. Maybe it's just a matter of getting him healthy and in rhythm, or maybe he's on the decline. I don't know, tbh, but I'm pretty confident nobody else here does, either. If the Mavs are relying on him, well...they've been right about a lot recently.

Does Kleber have an injury that is repeating...or just a bunch of things here and there.

I ask because...unless he has some reoccurring injury that prevents him from playing games or prevents his legs from working...my opinion is that a guy like Maxi(LOVE HIM) that lacks some skills usually just keeps getting better as he ages.   He seems young and still spry...I would think he just keeps getting better.

Example...Wille Callie Stein has flaws...Josh Green has flaws...but as time moves forward and they are continuing to play ball...the skills usually sharpen unless there is an injury.

I guess Im trying to be optimistic here.   Wanting our 4 big situation to be better than it is because we have a man down right now.  I have hated on and made it clear I think Maxi has flaws...but he has shown in playoffs he can defend...and he spreads the floor.   Few other skills...but he can do those things which Mavs need.  And he is quick footed...not a slow big.

Im hoping Max gets healthy and comes back to shore some things up for us.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - mvossman - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 04:49 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It feels like the plan was to rely on Maxi to limit Powell and in some cases Lively's minutes.  They were hoping Maxi can play 20ish minutes a night.

The two problems about this is 1) Can Maxi still do it?  2) If Maxi is your Center, the Mavs desperately are missing that big wing next to him.   

Maybe a Maxi and Powell pairing for 10-15 minutes is the best option with what we have.  Maxi just has to prove he can stay healthy and is still the player he was a few years ago.

I lean towards Powell/Maxi combo off the bench is probably the best option, but I am worried about Maxi.  I think our defensive issues go way beyond our backup center situation.  Too many guys in the second unit are not great defenders (Timmy) or terrible (Hardy, Curry) but more importantly when a team is this bad defensively you have to start looking at coaching.  The personal is not this bad.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - IamDougieFresh - 11-20-2023

Simple steps to fix the Mavs

1. Start Josh Green. This will help Josh be better and put DJJ as a longer defender in the second unit.

2. Wait for Maxi to be healthy.

3. THJ Pump and Dump. Pump is going well so far. Will our front office be able to execute the dump? This has to yield us a big PF/SF type.

4. OMax development.

5. A backup C who can rebound and defend.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - youzigizag - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 05:56 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Simple steps to fix the Mavs

1. Start Josh Green. This will help Josh be better and put DJJ as a longer defender in the second unit.

3. THJ Pump and Dump. Pump is going well so far. Will our front office be able to execute the dump? This has to yield us a big PF/SF type.

4. OMax development.

Im going to wade into uncomfortable territory as I might get ridiculed for this comment...

I was briefly looking at Drummond vs McGee stats last night...admittedly I didnt dive into advanced stats or anything as I dont know what I am looking at....but is Drummond a far superior player than Javale currently?   Javale has played less game and a few less minutes...but Drummond basically has him in rebounds which we need.   My point is...Drummond's name gets flashed around here currently...posters claiming we sniffed around him last year as a trade target...is Javale and Drummond all that different?   Are they completely two different types of players?  Because I just see them as old, unmodern NBA Centers with similar size.   Is Drummond that much more elite at fetching rebounds and to some extent lobs that he is worth pursuing?   Because we just got over a failed experiment with McGee...who I actually think makes players adjust their shot in the paint.  His advanced stats might say he sucks,  everyone here hated him...but is Drummond that far in front of him that it is worth pursuing?

(11-20-2023, 05:56 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Simple steps to fix the Mavs

4. OMax development.

I think this is a good list. I could go either way on #3, but if I wanted the team to make noise THIS season, I'd probably hold onto Hardaway until the summer, at least. He really, truly is an asset in this 6th man role.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kidd calls out Mavs - Mavs2021 - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 02:14 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, it is concerning.  I brought up before the Milwaukee game why our defense was trending backwards.    Quality of opponents the last two games doesn't help.

The Mavs have a tough riddle with no easy answers.  I think how Hardaway is playing Kidd is probably making the right choice to ride him and hope for the best on defense.   The issue with Hardaway in the game, we get really small, really fast.    With Josh, Hardy, Seth all being pretty small.   So we have seen lineups with Hardaway at the 4.   We have also seen Hardaway at the 4 with either Maxi and Powell as the center.  That is an open invitation to go to the rim every possession.    We just lack that big 4 right now that could help those lineups not bleed points on defense.   Hardaway, Green, Seth and Jaden are all probably shooting guards.   Maybe you disagree on Green but he seems small guarding wings.   A lot of mouths to feed at that spot.  Hardaway with his hot start has really eaten up a lot of those minutes.  To get minutes for others it is causing us to be really small.

Excellent point that sees an under-lying problem that people still ignore, likely cause it´s the regular season and we have a badass offensive rating, but we have too many one-dimensional players, specifically dribbling and one-on-one play-making ability. Powell, Lively II, Kleber, THJ, Hardy, Curry, Green (due to reluctance), Williams struggle to put the ball on the floor and finish/create for themselves and others. Our best players at it behind Luka/Kyrie are probably Exum and DJJ. Elite teams will shut this down quickly for stretches, when they need it. Obviously overall it´s impossible to control a Luka/Kyrie duo completely.

What we see now is that the summer was a very good start, but you simply cannot fix what has been messed up for 12 years in 12 months. For a real contender you probably need two new starters at SF/PF and a new back-up PG and C. 

Maybe you can fix some of that depth/size issue with Bonga/Bitadze instead of Curry/Morris next summer. But that doesn´t solve the problem that you basically need a Anunoby/Collins-eseque upgrade at SF/PF. Too many missed boats over the last 12 years, when players like Markkanen, Collins, Randle, Hachimura became available fairly cheap.

So...I've never been a fan of McGee, and didn't want him here either time he was a Mav. And, I'm super happy he's gone. BUT...

Can we talk about how much better he looks the second he gets to a different team? Is this a Kidd thing? A Luka thing? Who was it who hated him so much, I wonder? He's kind of the exact player they need right now, isn't he?