MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - KillerLeft - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 11:37 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The EPM data for this season is now available.  It's the first good advanced metric data I've seen for this season.  It's interesting.  According to EPM...

Luka  + 4.3 
Kyrie + 3.3         
THJ  +0.3     
Lively    -0.2     
Grant Williams  - 0.6     
DJJ    - 1.1       
Hardy  - 1.6     
DP  -1.7
Exum  - 3.4             
Kleber   -4.3               
Seth   - 4.9     
Josh Green    -4.9

Luka and Kyrie have been great.  THJ and Lively have been pretty good.  DJJ and Grant have been solid.  DP has not been bad.  The rest of our rotation has been really weak.  I'm surprised by the Exum data as I thought he's looked pretty good.   Josh Green's data supports a lot of the board's opinion about Green this season and it's worse than I personally anticipated.  I do think Green will improve as the season goes on.   In other interesting results, Reggie Bullock is among the worst players in the NBA at - 6.3.  

Among opportunities to improve, here are some players (with their EPM) who might actually be available for trade at this time:

Alex Caruso  + 2.1
Deni Avdija    + 1.1
Zach Collins   + 0.6
Vucevic   - 0.4
Drummond   - 0.5
Gafford  - 1.2

All of these players would be upgrades on our roster.   

A few other interesting figures:

Holmgren + 5.0 and Wemby at -0.9.     Holmgren is a top-10 player already on EPM and one of the most impressive rookies the league has seen in a long time.  

Jerami Grant at -2.3 and Christian Wood at -3.0.   Grant with a defensive rating of -2.1 might not be the upgrade we wish.  Christian Wood has not been effective this season so I won't bring him up again.

All of this data is early but interesting.  It's mostly consistent with the eye test with a few surprises.

What’s the distinction between EPM and BPM?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - chaparral - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 10:35 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Stewart is interesting.   He is someone I liked in the past.  I am not sure he is exactly what I am looking for now though.  Plus, I think the GM has a long history with his family so I am not sure if he would be one of the first guys they look to move.

When I think about finishing up the building of the roster over the next year or so, here is what I envision...in addition to the youngster hopeful growth.   Maybe this player can be one player, but maybe two solid B players would be the better fit?

1) Maxi type player but 20% better.   A guy who can play some five but also guard a little on the perimeter while stretching the floor.   This is who I view as the Lively backup in time.   Envision the Maxi from 3-4 years ago (but a little better) pairing with Grant for stretches.   Grant can use his strength on the center and Maxi can be the off ball shot blocker.  Plus, both can spread the floor.

2) Taller than 6'8 wing who mostly can match up against perimeter wings but can also chip in with 6-7 rebounds.   Unless the Mavs get really lucky this would be where you probably need to spend several assets to get.   You are probably looking for a salary over 20 million per year.  I think this is a must have.  In addition to the development of our youngsters.  They need a guy and a wave following to throw at the elite scorers to make them work for their points.  They need this to be a contender.

Would the answer to both questions 1 and 2 be - John Collins?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - surfpuckmd - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 11:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What’s the distinction between EPM and BPM?

Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to explain that.  Another poster who seems informed (mvossman) suggested EPM as among the best single advanced metrics.  They have compared it previously to other advanced metrics and my understanding is that it best predicted future team performance when compared to other single metrics including BPM.  Mostly I just posted it because it's available earlier than RAPTOR which I also like.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - mvossman - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 11:37 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The EPM data for this season is now available.  It's the first good advanced metric data I've seen for this season.  It's interesting.  According to EPM...

Luka  + 4.3 
Kyrie + 3.3         
THJ  +0.3     
Lively    -0.2     
Grant Williams  - 0.6     
DJJ    - 1.1       
Hardy  - 1.6     
DP  -1.7
Exum  - 3.4             
Kleber   -4.3               
Seth   - 4.9     
Josh Green    -4.9

Luka and Kyrie have been great.  THJ and Lively have been pretty good.  DJJ and Grant have been solid.  DP has not been bad.  The rest of our rotation has been really weak.  I'm surprised by the Exum data as I thought he's looked pretty good.   Josh Green's data supports a lot of the board's opinion about Green this season and it's worse than I personally anticipated.  I do think Green will improve as the season goes on.   In other interesting results, Reggie Bullock is among the worst players in the NBA at - 6.3.  

Among opportunities to improve, here are some players (with their EPM) who might actually be available for trade at this time:

Alex Caruso  + 2.1
Deni Avdija    + 1.1
Zach Collins   + 0.6
Vucevic   - 0.4
Drummond   - 0.5
Gafford  - 1.2

All of these players would be upgrades on our roster.   

A few other interesting figures:

Holmgren + 5.0 and Wemby at -0.9.     Holmgren is a top-10 player already on EPM and one of the most impressive rookies the league has seen in a long time.  

Jerami Grant at -2.3 and Christian Wood at -3.0.   Grant with a defensive rating of -2.1 might not be the upgrade we wish.  Christian Wood has not been effective this season so I won't bring him up again.

All of this data is early but interesting.  It's mostly consistent with the eye test with a few surprises.

I would mention based on watching this the last couple of years that it is very volatile this early in the season.  In a couple of weeks these number can swing wildly from what they are now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - youzigizag - 11-19-2023

On the LIVELY, GRANT, OG comment above...

Dont forget that Luka is actually really really good at defense...we just only get to see it in post season or the few times he wants to show it.

Im really starting to get on the OG bandwagon if he is gettable this offseason.  Four decent defenders on the court(Luka included) is sounding really good to me.

I made a post a few days ago on why I thought the THJ, Green, Omax for OG is not a deal I like due to giving away 3 possible heavy minute players for one guy plus all three are on serviceable contracts...but I think the thought of OG here is starting to take hold with me.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - mvossman - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 11:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What’s the distinction between EPM and BPM?

BPM is entirely box score based.  It is considered the best box score only advanced metric.  Its quite good at determining offensive value, but much weaker on the defensive end as there is not nearly as much defensive information in a box score as offensive.

EPM looks a players on/off but incorporates the other players on the floor (teammates and opponents).  Because looking at just on/off (even when taking into account other players) is extremely noisy, they also use box score stats to get a solid base, and then let the on/off drive from there.  

A while ago I went down a rabbit whole of what are the best NBA stats and dug up several articles and posts doing statistical analysis and EPM was almost always the best of the bunch.  

It is probably important to note that advanced stats tend to take longer to normalize than regular stats, so they are going to be quite noisy right now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - surfpuckmd - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 12:12 PM)mvossman Wrote: It is probably important to note that advanced stats tend to take longer to normalize than regular stats, so they are going to be quite noisy right now.

Of course.  It's an interesting way to analyze player performance though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - ThisIStheYear - 11-19-2023

The data look fine except for Josh Green. He’s just been terrible so far. He should sit for a bit.

Mavs get a quality opponent at home tonight on a b2b. Let’s see if they can show the same mettle the Bucks did last night. This will be a real test of the team’s character and potential.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - ItsGoTime - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 10:35 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: 1) Maxi type player but 20% better.   A guy who can play some five but also guard a little on the perimeter while stretching the floor.   This is who I view as the Lively backup in time.   Envision the Maxi from 3-4 years ago (but a little better) pairing with Grant for stretches.   Grant can use his strength on the center and Maxi can be the off ball shot blocker.  Plus, both can spread the floor.
Ya, this is exactly who I think Stewart is now that he’s been working on his 3 pt shot and starting the season looking good with it. I do know Det really likes him too, just don’t know who else in the league fits the description you’re talking about. Although IF Vuc can work towards that Brook Lopez arc, he would be a supercharged Maxi.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - ItsGoTime - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 11:53 AM)chaparral Wrote: Would the answer to both questions 1 and 2 be - John Collins?
Oh, I forgot to put JC in my list too. I think he’s also an upgraded Maxi.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 11-19-2023

Part of the appeal of Collins is his ability to be an elite p’n’r partner for Luka AND pop out to the 3-point line. Imagine a more athletic Dwight Powell with a 38-40% 3-point shot on decent volume in this offense. And is also a plus rebounder with decent rim protection. And he just turned 26. 

At 25m I think I like him better than Jerami Grant at 32m. He was basically salary dumped for a 2nd to Utah if I’m remembering right. Would be a win for Ainge to recoup a 2027 1st. Problem is, Tim is playing so well right now and we don’t have many other good matching contracts. Does Ainge ask for Hardy, in addition to the 2027, to take on Maxi and Holmes?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 11-19-2023

I’m assuming we will try to stay under the LT with any deal we do. I wonder if we are looking at holding on to THJ and then it becomes some combination of Holmes, Maxi, Green and Hardy and Morris as filler we are offering.

One player I think the Mavs should consider trading for is Deni Avdija.  He's a bigger wing (6'8") and already an above-average defensive player.  He rebounds really well for a forward which is something we need help with.  He averaged 8.7 rebounds per 36 minutes last season which is strong for a forward.  His weakness has been shooting but he's shooting much better this season-  42% from 3 and 58% from 2 this season.  I don't expect him to maintain those averages but it's a good sign that he's improved this weakness in his game.  He's still only 22 so there's plenty of room for improvement.

I would suggest the following trade:

Mavericks trade Richaun Holmes, Jaden Hardy and a 2nd-round pick i.e. for Deni Advija and Danilo Gallinari.

The Wizards might consider the deal as Hardy is a talented young scorer with another cheap year under contract.  This might not be enough for the Wizards though.  At the risk of serious blasphemy, I'd consider adding OMax to the deal with Hardy.  I'd then expect several 2nd-round picks in return.  

I think Advija would upgrade our top-8 rotation and it's a move that should be considered.  Jaden Hardy isn't receiving minutes here and I think we should trade him somewhere where he can grow his game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - chaparral - 11-19-2023

Trade Restriction: This player can be traded but has a Poison Pill restriction until Jul 01, 2024.

Advija and our Green has this trade restriction. What is the poison pill?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - Jakeospikez - 11-19-2023

I don't think trading Hardy is the move. His ballhandling is improving and he's already a great spot up shooter. He needs a lot more development time. THJ might be better for this year but no way you keep THJ over Hardy for this team. This isn't an all-in team, this is a stay good for many years team.

If JC is gettable for something cheap, might be better than dumping a lot of assets and cap space for OG even though OG is better. Ainge probably is trying to rebuild his value and flip, Hendricks should eventually take his spot. Suppose it depends on how much it takes to convince Ainge the flip is worth it. They have horrible guards. Not sure it's worth using the 2027 1st for though. A Lively/JC/Omax/Maxi big rotation might be good enough to not need a backup traditional rim protector. Powell there for certain matchups or injury insurance.

Some of these other big wings seem like decent targets, just need to find the best deal I guess.

(11-19-2023, 03:40 PM)chaparral Wrote: Trade Restriction: This player can be traded but has a Poison Pill restriction until Jul 01, 2024.

Advija and our Green has this trade restriction.  What is the poison pill?

The fanspo trade machine tells you what it is if you try to use Green in a trade.
https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

Poison Pill
Josh Green is on a rookie contract and signed an extension that is to begin the following season. Therefore, he has what is known as a "poison pill" contract. He can no longer be traded for a player making equal money. Instead, his current salary is averaged along with the salaries he is to receive in his extension, and that average becomes his incoming salary for trade purposes. His outgoing value for the Mavericks will be $4.7M while his incoming value for the receiving team will be $11.4M.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - omahen - 11-19-2023

I would think that any player that got his extension this summer is in the teams long(er) term plans and they would only be willing to part with him for a nice bunch of assets. Especially if the plays well. More words for saying "forget about Avdija". He is not good enough to offset the assets that would be needed to convince Wizards to trade him.

Mavs don't need any help offensively. They need all the help defensively. So I am out on players like John Collins. Personally, the only guys I am interested in are elite wing defenders.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - Chicagojk - 11-19-2023

Saw a picture online that Nico had a coursing seat at Texas vs Louisville today in NYC. It looks like UConn and Indiana also played in NYC.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - Jakeospikez - 11-19-2023

Collins isn't a bad defender. He's a good shot blocker also. Moreso weakside similar to Maxi. He's just not a DPOY caliber player like OG. Something to keep in mind though for getting a quality rotation big for cheap means you probably get to keep OMax. Need to find the right fit regardless. Can easily backfire just saying only defense is needed and to do whatever it takes to get defense. That's what led to the Rondo trade. Grant is another target that would be good but is on a huge contract, big risk taking that on for 4-5 years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - DanSchwartzgan - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 05:03 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: I don't think trading Hardy is the move. His ballhandling is improving and he's already a great spot up shooter. He needs a lot more development time. THJ might be better for this year but no way you keep THJ over Hardy for this team. This isn't an all-in team, this is a stay good for many years team.

If JC is gettable for something cheap, might be better than dumping a lot of assets and cap space for OG even though OG is better. Ainge probably is trying to rebuild his value and flip, Hendricks should eventually take his spot. Suppose it depends on how much it takes to convince Ainge the flip is worth it. They have horrible guards. Not sure it's worth using the 2027 1st for though. A Lively/JC/Omax/Maxi big rotation might be good enough to not need a backup traditional rim protector. Powell there for certain matchups or injury insurance.

Some of these other big wings seem like decent targets, just need to find the best deal I guess.

The fanspo trade machine tells you what it is if you try to use Green in a trade.
https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

Poison Pill
Josh Green is on a rookie contract and signed an extension that is to begin the following season. Therefore, he has what is known as a "poison pill" contract. He can no longer be traded for a player making equal money. Instead, his current salary is averaged along with the salaries he is to receive in his extension, and that average becomes his incoming salary for trade purposes. His outgoing value for the Mavericks will be $4.7M while his incoming value for the receiving team will be $11.4M.

Sometimes Poison Pills are a problem to overcome and can require a third team to make it work.  This is mostly the case when there is a big spread between the old rookie number and the new extension number.

With $7.5mm trade spreads, it is fairly easy to overcome PP on players with narrow spreads between their outgoing and incoming salary (like Green and Avdija).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Everyone available for MIL tomorrow but Kleber - SleepingHero - 11-19-2023

(11-19-2023, 06:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: OG is CAA.  He won't extend.  There is NO WAY Dallas will trade for him and be subject to him walking this summer.  A trade this summer?  Maybe.  But, it won't happen in season.  Might as well let that one go.

BTW, I do think Olynyk would help.  I don't think Drummond does much for us.  He won't be able to stay on the floor in the playoffs any more than Powell.  He's just a different kind of mediocre.

Solid points, although I wouldn't be as definitive as you. The Mavs have time and again shown no fear trading for a guy who's an upcoming free agent. KP, Wood, and Kyrie being the most recent. 

I think the most likely reason why the Mavs don't trade for OG is because they simply don't have the ammo.

But you got me thinking of guys that are under contract and still fit that big wing mold. How about a guy like Deandre Hunter? Hawks were floating his name the whole summer. They were hoping to use him or Capela in a Pascal trade. I wonder if they could be convinced to move him.