MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - KillerLeft - 11-13-2023

(11-13-2023, 09:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Old news:  We need to trade Hardaway

New News:  What will Hardaway resign for?

Kidding, but he has been good so far this year.  He is shooting really well but he is also one of the league leaders in charges and last night had 9 rebounds.

He seems to be taking to a bench role (finally). That’s for the best, because the amount of starting spots for him in the league is probably dwindling. I think he has a shot at a really good 5 more years if he accepts that he’s a 6th man. Won’t be for the Mavs, I don’t think, but he’s sure fitting in here nicely this season!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Mavs2021 - 11-13-2023

I would not mess with this team at the moment unless a major no brainer comes along. Mo Bamba would be a nice cheap addition. Stylistically very similar to Lively. Playing with smart players at home might unlock something extra. I would not trade THJ at the moment. We need the 3rd scoring threat. I´m not ready for Williams/Green/Hardy/Curry to be the 3rd and 4th scoring option.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - omahen - 11-13-2023

Personally, short term means very little for me. In the current team, THJ looks nice. In the long term, if we are trying to build a contender, I don't see him as part of equation. And I don't see the current team as a contender. Perhaps if Omax develops, but I don't expect that to happen sooner than in a couple of seasons. By then both THJ and Kyrie will likely be on a decline.

Based on that, I am open to cashing in when THJ value is high. I think Mavs still need the number three guy to become a real contender and I don't see him on this team. Problem with getting number three guys is, that they are usually sold by rebuilding teams. Such teams usually don't see value in guys like THJ. They want picks and/or young players plus expiring salary, to have as much flexibility going forward as possible. Best case scenario is that THJ keeps this level of play for whole season and stays healthy. His expiring contract will really have value then, even for a rebuilding team, as they will be able to flip him for some assets. The risk with keeping him is that he either starts playing worse or gets injured. Personally, I would probably take the risk and keep him till summer, unless I really got a great offer from some contender for him (or that number three option guy becomes available this season).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Reunion Mav - 11-13-2023

(11-12-2023, 12:13 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Green and OMax use their highest energy at all times causing them to lose effectiveness.   McDaniels is lucky to have length and athleticism...his knees when engaged at the perimeter are wide, his arms are long too...he is hard to get around.   But its his fundamentals coupled with God Given size that make him elite.   McDaniels does not use maximum energy at all times like OMax and Green.  He uses fundamentals(staying perpendicular and sliding accordingly) first...then when the ball handler has made up his mind to attack the rim...he then uses his energy to block the shot or force the ball handler to pass.   Going full speed constantly hurts you on defense because the ball handler has the advantage of changing directions quickly.  As a defender...the best way to change directions with the ball handler is to slow down and use your energy at the end, after the ball handler has committed to something.

Slow down is the key.  Along with staying perpendicular.

Im not good with words, but the best description I can come up with was like when Dieon Sanders came into the NFL and started returning punts.   Most all other punt returners would catch ball and start going full energy.   Dieon, though,  would catch ball be patient and efficiently side step defenders coming full spedd at him that couldnt change directions quick enough.   And...it worked.

Tells these youngins to slow down.   Work on sliding and staying perpendicular with the guy youre defending...then use your energy at the end to swat the damn ball or force a pass.

McDaniels is just elite.   Wide base(knees when engaged), long arms, slides gradually, attacks with energy after the ball handler has made a bad decision to attack rim on him.   

Its simple.   Tell these guys to use their energy more efficiently.  I think you will see quick results.   Or...Im a crazy guy.  Whatever.

Yes Sir Coach!
Sounds like wisdom to me. Now for our guys to adopt good coaching into their games….  That’s harder.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Nowitzki Way - 11-13-2023

(11-13-2023, 10:48 AM)omahen Wrote: Personally, short term means very little for me. In the current team, THJ looks nice. In the long term, if we are trying to build a contender, I don't see him as part of equation. And I don't see the current team as a contender. Perhaps if Omax develops, but I don't expect that to happen sooner than in a couple of seasons. By then both THJ and Kyrie will likely be on a decline.

Based on that, I am open to cashing in when THJ value is high. I think Mavs still need the number three guy to become a real contender and I don't see him on this team. Problem with getting number three guys is, that they are usually sold by rebuilding teams. Such teams usually don't see value in guys like THJ. They want picks and/or young players plus expiring salary, to have as much flexibility going forward as possible. Best case scenario is that THJ keeps this level of play for whole season and stays healthy. His expiring contract will really have value then, even for a rebuilding team, as they will be able to flip him for some assets. The risk with keeping him is that he either starts playing worse or gets injured. Personally, I would probably take the risk and keep him till summer, unless I really got a great offer from some contender for him (or that number three option guy becomes available this season).

I'm with you. i think this is time to sell high on THJ.  I'm still not sure what we could get for him, but we need try.  As you said, he is not part of a contending team.

I really think that Hardy can take on a larger role and be a better scorer than Hardaway. Timmy is scoring at a high rate and his 3 is looking good. But he still ball hogs and his shot selection is terrible. They just happen to be going in right now. That wont always be the case, as we know.

I'd like to acquire more assets that are in the Luka age range and younger. Right now we have a solid young group for once. Luka, Lively, Green, Hardy, GWill, OMax. I 'd love to get another guy in that range. Preferably one that has star potential. Of course, all teams want that.

We have limited assets, so i'm sure we'll have to look for those fallen angels. The hyped up prospects who have fell off slightly. See if we can build them back up.

I'd be looking at teams like Detroit. Jaden Ivey is a guy i wonder could be available. They look to be building around Cunningham, Thompson, Duren. Stewart.  Ivey is coming back from injury, but looks to be an odd guy out. 

Jalen Suggs in Orlando is another one. 

Anfernee Simmons is injured right now, but long term are they going to keep him, Sharpe, and Scoot?

I know this was a trade THJ post, and i know we can't get these guys for Timmy. But these are guys i'd be looking to replace him with long term.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-13-2023

(11-12-2023, 12:25 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Omax has the desirable length and effort...he needs to be sat down and shown videos of Jaden McDaniels and Alex Caruso.

Omax turns is hips and body too soon instead of sliding his body gradually with the ball handler.    Omax gives too much effort, causing his energy move 4ft past the ball carrier if the ball carrier changes directions.  Green has the same problem. 

They need to be shown videos of higher level defenders.  Green stays in front of his guy correctly but his energy screws him.  Omax has good defensive energy but turns his hips and body too soon.  McDaniels is the perfect mentor.  Stay perpendicular to the ball handler, dont turn your hips or body too soon.  Green and OMax are pigs to be taken advantage of by the likes of veterans like Steph Curry.  Their overabundance of energy prevents them from changing directions.  Their directions continue for 3 feet more than they should because of their energy while the ball handler has changed directions and completed a jump shot with 4ft of room.

Green and Omax can be elite defensively if they slow down, slide and stay perpendicular with the ball handler.  Both are giving too much room for ball handlers to quickly change direction, create space and make an easy jump shot.

The potential is there.  Show them McDanial and Caruso film.

Notice....McDanial is even more elite becuase he doesnt make stupid slaps at the ball that refs call fouls on(Caruso is elite at it though) and uses straight up perfect perpendicular defense to combat his opponents.

Stay perpendicular to the ball handler and dont bite on fakes and youre money.

The Mavs have a safant in staying in front of the ball carrier at their dispense in Devon Harris.  How are they not asking him for advice.  They guy was amazing at staying in front of his ball carrier.  Makes no sense. 

These guys need to slow down, slide at correct angle accordingly and no bite on fakes.

Wow, incredible breakdown.  Thank you for the knowledge.

My critique of Harris used to be that he didn't body up jumpshooters enough.  You weren't EVER getting past him as you've detailed, but there was allows space to pull up and shoot.  My favorite guard defender was Andre Miller.  Kidd was similar.  They crowded the shooter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - The Jom - 11-13-2023

Tim is far better than anyone you can get for him. And, strangely, he’s improving. The trade efforts may have been about trying to find him a starting spot because that’s what HE wanted. The trade failure may be what led to him accepting/embracing a bench role. Don’t think this is a mirage. Think this is New Tim. New Tim is a key bench piece for a contending team. Perhaps THIS contending team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - youzigizag - 11-13-2023

Did anyone notice with 1:20(sometime before the Powel foul at 1:00) left in 2nd Quarter...THJ seemed to ask Irving for a screen....Irving doesnt do it...THJ throws his arm up like WTF while dribbling the ball...eventually passes to Irving who runs off with ball and takes a shot. I dont know if THJ was expecting a pass back from Irving but he threw his arms up again in a WTF fashion while on the court.

No one caught that?

Maybe I read it all wrong...but if I am right...its funny that THJ was getting upset at others shooting lol.

OMax looked bad. Not running with a well oiled starting squad and the spacing isnt professional like a starting squad....but damn he looks lost out there. He hustles like Green....but I am actually starting to question his fundamentals as if they are even NBA material. He seemed to be known for defense coming into the league....but his clear best quality that looks NBA passable is his desire the get the ball on offense and attack the rim. Hes eager for it. He actively is just watching ball carrier wanting the ball instead of making correct off ball moves. I dont know how much this team needs a long wing who attacks the rim. And...his shoooting is not going to lead to easy blowbys because guys are charging to prevent his 3 shot...they are going to be relaxed and slowed down and ready to defend his attempt to attack the rim.

Kid has the size and effort...needs to polish fundamentals. Has anyone noticed he is easy to create like 4ft of room on for an easy pull up jumper. That needs to be cleaned up asap. He needs to slow down and work on lateral footwork.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-13-2023

(11-13-2023, 12:25 PM)The Jom Wrote: Tim is far better than anyone you can get for him. And, strangely, he’s improving. The trade efforts may have been about trying to find him a starting spot because that’s what HE wanted. The trade failure may be what led to him accepting/embracing a bench role. Don’t think this is a mirage. Think this is New Tim. New Tim is a key bench piece for a contending team. Perhaps THIS contending team.

I feel crazy saying this, but so far this season he's playing like an $18million player.  Don't think that goes unnoticed by the rest of the league.  IMO, he was a $10-$12million player last year, leaving $6million in dead money if you try to move him.  And I agree, he's so dialed in, he's worth more to us than his worth to another team, unless he's used in a trade for someone like OG.

On another topic, Holmes is a vet min/end of the bench player.  So his value is like a negative $12million, or you have to package him with a late FRP (OMax) to have someone take him off your hands.

(11-13-2023, 12:25 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Has anyone noticed he is easy to create like 4ft of room on for an easy pull up jumper.  That needs to be cleaned up asap.  He needs to slow down and work on lateral footwork.

That's one of my pet peeves.  If you're on the wing, I'd rather a defender crowd the shooter than focus on not getting blown past.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - SkenfromLMF - 11-13-2023

(11-13-2023, 02:46 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: That's one of my pet peeves.  If you're on the wing, I'd rather a defender crowd the shooter than focus on not getting blown past.

The problem for a rookie is that a rookie will get called for the foul crowding shooters. Wait for a year or two and his defense should adjust to include taking away the space, without it being assumed to be a foul. Lively is dealing with a bit of that right now. DL fouls and then gets another one for just playing defense... Right now, O-Max crowding shooters will result in a Conga to the FT Line...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - KillerLeft - 11-13-2023

Pretty good interview here with Grant Williams. Worth the time.

https://youtu.be/k8H9IWh-dTQ?si=xBG4ZrlK1khbdKV-

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - MaxiThreeba - 11-13-2023

(11-11-2023, 09:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: O-Max looks good. I started watching at the beginning of the second half, and it seems like they're playing him at the 5. The are using him as a screener, and he seems to be pick and popping a ton. Attacking closeouts off the dribble, too.

Lol, Justin Jackson is on the Mavs' G league team. I think I knew that already, but it's one thing to read it and another to see his 30 year old self out there launching 3's.

Went through security at DFW right behind Jackson on Sunday morning.  I had to google to see what he was up to and his career transaction list is a long one.  Always wild to see the way some guys just keep grinding to play ball as long as they can.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-13-2023

https://newsletter.threefourtwo.com/p/dwight-powell-dallas-mavericks

Great read on Powell here for all my Powell supporters.

Also an opportunity to say you should absolutely give the dunkers spot a listen if you haven’t. The content these guys put out is pretty great.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Mavs2021 - 11-14-2023

(11-13-2023, 11:34 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://newsletter.threefourtwo.com/p/dwight-powell-dallas-mavericks

Great read on Powell here for all my Powell supporters.

Also an opportunity to say you should absolutely give the dunkers spot a listen if you haven’t. The content these guys put out is pretty great.

Great listen here for all my Powell haters. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LiG7L1pZjo

Top 5 ranked defense with Luka + Kyrie + Lively on.
30th ranked defense when Lively is off.

It´s so obvious watching the team. We´d basically be the same team as last year, if not for Lively, which shows you all those advanced stats for Powell are pretty empty.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - DanSchwartzgan - 11-14-2023

(11-14-2023, 01:21 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Great listen here for all my Powell haters. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LiG7L1pZjo

Top 5 ranked defense with Luka + Kyrie + Lively on.
30th ranked defense when Lively is off.

It´s so obvious watching the team. We´d basically be the same team as last year, if not for Lively, which shows you all those advanced stats for Powell are pretty empty.

Hilarious.  You do see the irony of calling out 'advanced stats' and then using them to try to prove a point.  It is fantastic that Lively is playing well with the stars (or if you hate advanced stats, you might instead say the five man lineups that include those three have played well).  But, if you don't mind, I'd like to check the stats that back up the obvious conclusion that Powell sucks and contributes to this 30th ranked D when Lively isn't playing with Kyrie and Luka.

Luka and Kyrie have only played 175 minutes together and Lively has played 148 or those.  That leaves 27 minutes of possible "empty stats" for Powell.  Except that Maxi played 18 of those minutes with Luka and Kyrie (-24 with a D-Rating of 131.7) representing 5% of total minutes played this season.  Now we are down to 9 possible minutes where Powell could be at fault in your obvious eye test.  Except, he hasn't played a single minute with Kyrie and Luka this season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Mavs2021 - 11-14-2023

(11-14-2023, 08:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Hilarious.  You do see the irony of calling out 'advanced stats' and then using them to try to prove a point.  It is fantastic that Lively is playing well with the stars (or if you hate advanced stats, you might instead say the five man lineups that include those three have played well).  But, if you don't mind, I'd like to check the stats that back up the obvious conclusion that Powell sucks and contributes to this 30th ranked D when Lively isn't playing with Kyrie and Luka.

Luka and Kyrie have only played 175 minutes together and Lively has played 148 or those.  That leaves 27 minutes of possible "empty stats" for Powell.  Except that Maxi played 18 of those minutes with Luka and Kyrie (-24 with a D-Rating of 131.7) representing 5% of total minutes played this season.  Now we are down to 9 possible minutes where Powell could be at fault in your obvious eye test.  Except, he hasn't played a single minute with Kyrie and Luka this season.

Amazing accomplishment considering that he started the Toronto game with Luka and Kyrie. Rolleyes 

Here is the eye test for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mj0B6p2sc

And here is the basic stat for you.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401584796

The loss with the -10 in 24 minutes as a starter.

Against the Pelicans Ingram shot 1-4 against Lively in the 1st half. Against Powell he immediately went into attack mode and put himself into scoring position on ALL six shot attempts, four makes and two trips to the free throw line. It´s so blatantly obvious that opposing players have no respect for the Mavs interior defense with Powell on the floor.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - DanSchwartzgan - 11-14-2023

(11-14-2023, 09:22 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: And here is the basic stat for you.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401584796

The loss with the -10 in 24 minutes as a starter.

And +7 in that game when he played alongside both Luka and Kyrie (which was the stat you quoted). 

https://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20231108&game=TORDAL 

Apologies for not finding the 41 minutes Kyrie/Luka and Powell have played together.  Those lineups are +10.2 compared to +16.6 for Kyrie/Luka Lively.  The Powell lineups have O/D-ratings of 125.0 and 114.8.  Yeah, Powell sucks.

I originally picked up Luka/Kyrie/GWill minutes which had me looking in the wrong place for Powell.  Since I've posted wrong numbers, here is what NBA.com has for Kyrie/Luka 3-man lineups with a center.

Kyrie/Luka:           175 Minutes, Net = 11.0,  O = 123.3,  D = 112.4
Kyrie/Luka/Lively:   99 Minutes,  Net = 16.5,  O = 123.9,  D = 107.3
Kyrie/LukaPowell:   41 Minutes,  Net = 10.2,  O = 125.0,  D = 114.8
Kyrie/Luka/Maxi:    18 Minutes,  Net = -24.0,  O = 107.7,  D = 131.7

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - The Jom - 11-14-2023

Love Dwight. He’s great at lots of things. Anchoring the D isn’t one of them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - rocky164 - 11-14-2023

(11-14-2023, 09:22 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote:  It´s so blatantly obvious that opposing players have no respect for the Mavs interior defense with Powell on the floor.

I think overall Powell had a really good game and is having a good season.  But I did notice the same thing you mentioned.  As soon as Lively went out, the Pelicans immediately aggressively attacked the paint.  Evidently Lively garners more respect from the opposition than does Powell even at this early point in his career.

(11-14-2023, 09:38 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: And +7 in that game when he played alongside both Luka and Kyrie (which was the stat you quoted). 

https://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20231108&game=TORDAL 

Apologies for not finding the 41 minutes Kyrie/Luka and Powell have played together.  Those lineups are +10.2 compared to +12.5 for Kyrie/Luka Lively.  The Powell lineups have O/D-ratings of 125.0 and 114.8.  Yeah, Powell sucks.

I didn´t say he sucks, but I´m not the one trying to prop him up to be more than he is. He´s a back-up, probably 3rd string, center. I don´t need any justifcation for paying him $4M. That´s perfectly fine money. But it´s always this attempt to prop him up to be more than he is, like the 44/4 premature contract extension.

The net rating is also not the decisive factor. It´s the defensive rating that matters most, cause to win, we´ll have to get stops at crucial moments of the game. You can put Luka/Kyrie on the floor with Cuban´s Grandma at center and they´ll find a way to score.