MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - surfpuckmd - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 04:43 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: This team is too small, and they had to of known that going into the season. We are relying on a 19 year old rookie to save us and that will end bad.

They need to make a trade immediately or this season will go down in the dumps. Teams will continue to bully and punish us inside.

Maxi is toast. Powell is still too soft. Holmes has nothing left. Why is Curry here? Why is the bad Morris twin here?

This front office struggles so hard to build a normal NBA roster.  Its comical.

It's interesting that Lively is already one of the 3 most indispensable players on our roster.  Our defense looked hopeless without him.  It's a really great thing that he's been this good this early.   

It's too early for us to make a panic trade.  We've also played too well thus far to give up any assets for a trade.  Lively has been really good and Powell has played well in a backup role.  

Maxi has struggled but deserves some time to see if he can recover.  He played really well for us through the 2022 playoffs and had a major hamstring injury last season.  That may take a little longer to recover from.  Let's give it at least until mid-December before we trade assets for an upgrade. 

Our roster seems to need a third center who can rebound and defend.  Biyombo would have been a good choice in the off-season.  Frankly, JaVale McGee would make more sense or us than Markieff Morris.  That was a profoundly foolish move.

In a couple months, a few teams will decide their season is going nowhere and they'll trade off some veterans.  That would be a good time to grab a third big for cheap if Maxi doesn't recover.  Andre Drummond would be a nice fit as others have suggested.  In the meantime, someone like Wenyen Gabriel would provide more than Markieff Morris.  Blake Griffin actually played well for the Celtics last season and would also solve some problems for us if healthy as a break-the-glass backup big.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - SleepingHero - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 07:46 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: On a different matter, I wonder what Dallas does with Green.  I think there is a legit case that Green is a bench player and not a starter.  Jones Jr has been solid as token 5th starter, and Green has been shaky (for the most part).  Jones in all likelihood is a one year placeholder (if that).  Green is someone the team hopes to be here moving forward.  If Green keeps on having the 3 pt, 6 pt, games, I wonder if they see if starting him helps?   He appeared to play better in preseason when he started.   This team is much better positioned  moving if they can find a role where Green is scoring 10 plus points a game imo.

Green is an enigma to me. From the counting stats he's a middling role player who while efficient, doesn't shoot enough to warrant much attention. 

Eye test wise he looks like the same old hesitant Josh sprinkled with a few moments of newfound aggression that we want to see consistently. 

Yet his impact in lineups have always shown a consistent trend of being the oil that makes the gears turn. He isn't elite at any one thing on either side of the floor but he might be the most impactful role player we got, eye test be damned. 

I waffle back and forth on trading him for an upgrade on paper because he does a lot of little things, but I recognize he isn't irreplaceable.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - SleepingHero - 11-10-2023

[Image: image.png?ex=65602c95&is=654db795&hm=372...height=318]

In other news, it's wild to me how hard Bullock fell off.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 11:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: image.png?ex=65602c95&is=654db795&hm=372...height=318]

The drop off from the conference finals run to last season was wild.  And not just the shooting, the defense was pretty horrendous.  He was still pretty ok at screen navigation (something Green NEEDS to get better at) but pretty much everything else was garbage.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - HoosierDaddyKid - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 11:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: image.png?ex=65602c95&is=654db795&hm=372...height=318]

He hardly plays for Houston,  Looks like that's why he has those numbers. He's just an insurance policy. He could be traded again or let go.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - MrGoat - 11-10-2023

It was baffling how quickly and steeply he fell off after his first season with us. It's one of the underrated reasons why we underperformed last season. 32 isn't that old but he just looks washed

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - ItsGoTime - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 02:45 PM)MrGoat Wrote: It was baffling how quickly and steeply he fell off after his first season with us. It's one of the underrated reasons why we underperformed last season. 32 isn't that old but he just looks washed
A lot of people talk about Thibs style of coaching running players down prematurely. That WCF run seems to be evidence in favor of that stance. Both RB and DFS were not the same players last year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - KillerLeft - 11-11-2023

Pretty excited about O-Max getting sent to the legends. I might actually watch the game tonight, and can't remember ever wanting to do that before.

JamesConway912 - JamesConway912 - 11-11-2023

Kleber will be out for multiple weeks according to Kidd. 

Didn’t Devin Harris have that same toe injury once? Iirc he missed a good chunk of the season due to that.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - SleepingHero - 11-11-2023

@bradtownsend
In case you didn't hear the video I tweeted from Kidd, Prosper will rejoin the Mavericks in New Orleans. As for Kleber, who will be out of games and re-evaluated in two weeks, he will be on this 8-day trip to rehab and remain around the team.

@MavsPR
The Dallas Mavericks have assigned Olivier-Maxence Prosper to the Texas Legends.

He will be available for tonight’s game against the Oklahoma City Blue.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 01:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Pretty excited about O-Max getting sent to the legends. I might actually watch the game tonight, and can't remember ever wanting to do that before.

Not sure if you’re in the metroplex but I highly recommend anyone who has a chance to see a legends game live do so. Last time I went I was able to just grab some empty courtside seats and watch Hardy cook.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - KillerLeft - 11-11-2023

O-Max looks good. I started watching at the beginning of the second half, and it seems like they're playing him at the 5. The are using him as a screener, and he seems to be pick and popping a ton. Attacking closeouts off the dribble, too.

Lol, Justin Jackson is on the Mavs' G league team. I think I knew that already, but it's one thing to read it and another to see his 30 year old self out there launching 3's.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - dirkfansince1998 - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 09:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: O-Max looks good. I started watching at the beginning of the second half, and it seems like they're playing him at the 5. The are using him as a screener, and he seems to be pick and popping a ton. Attacking closeouts off the dribble, too.

Lol, Justin Jackson is on the Mavs' G league team. I think I knew that already, but it's one thing to read it and another to see his 30 year old self out there launching 3's.

I guess we know who is going to make the roster in case of an injury. Pinson or Jackson.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 11-11-2023

Omax had a nice defensive sequence against Kawhi last night, where he closed out at the three point line and then shadowed him step for step into the lane and caused him to pass out rather than shoot. Or forced him into a miss, I can’t remember which. Anyway it was only one play but highly impressive snippet.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-11-2023

https://www.youtube.com/live/W-5zq_jZR1A?si=-vNvP-E-w5Q-HNLN

Replay if the legends game for anyone interested in checking out OMax.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - youzigizag - 11-12-2023

Omax has the desirable length and effort...he needs to be sat down and shown videos of Jaden McDaniels and Alex Caruso.

Omax turns is hips and body too soon instead of sliding his body gradually with the ball handler. Omax gives too much effort, causing his energy move 4ft past the ball carrier if the ball carrier changes directions. Green has the same problem.

They need to be shown videos of higher level defenders. Green stays in front of his guy correctly but his energy screws him. Omax has good defensive energy but turns his hips and body too soon. McDaniels is the perfect mentor. Stay perpendicular to the ball handler, dont turn your hips or body too soon. Green and OMax are pigs to be taken advantage of by the likes of veterans like Steph Curry. Their overabundance of energy prevents them from changing directions. Their directions continue for 3 feet more than they should because of their energy while the ball handler has changed directions and completed a jump shot with 4ft of room.

Green and Omax can be elite defensively if they slow down, slide and stay perpendicular with the ball handler. Both are giving too much room for ball handlers to quickly change direction, create space and make an easy jump shot.

The potential is there. Show them McDanial and Caruso film.

Notice....McDanial is even more elite becuase he doesnt make stupid slaps at the ball that refs call fouls on(Caruso is elite at it though) and uses straight up perfect perpendicular defense to combat his opponents.

Stay perpendicular to the ball handler and dont bite on fakes and youre money.

The Mavs have a safant in staying in front of the ball carrier at their dispense in Devon Harris. How are they not asking him for advice. They guy was amazing at staying in front of his ball carrier. Makes no sense.

These guys need to slow down, slide at correct angle accordingly and no bite on fakes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - KillerLeft - 11-12-2023

(11-12-2023, 12:25 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Omax has the desirable length and effort...he needs to be sat down and shown videos of Jaden McDaniels and Alex Caruso.

Omax turns is hips and body too soon instead of sliding his body gradually with the ball handler.    Omax gives too much effort, causing his energy move 4ft past the ball carrier if the ball carrier changes directions.  Green has the same problem. 

They need to be shown videos of higher level defenders.  Green stays in front of his guy correctly but his energy screws him.  Omax has good defensive energy but turns his hips and body too soon.  McDaniels is the perfect mentor.  Stay perpendicular to the ball handler, dont turn your hips or body too soon.  Green and OMax are pigs to be taken advantage of by the likes of veterans like Steph Curry.  Their overabundance of energy prevents them from changing directions.  Their directions continue for 3 feet more than they should because of their energy while the ball handler has changed directions and completed a jump shot with 4ft of room.

Green and Omax can be elite defensively if they slow down, slide and stay perpendicular with the ball handler.  Both are giving too much room for ball handlers to quickly change direction, create space and make an easy jump shot.

The potential is there.  Show them McDanial and Caruso film.

Notice....McDanial is even more elite becuase he doesnt make stupid slaps at the ball that refs call fouls on(Caruso is elite at it though) and uses straight up perfect perpendicular defense to combat his opponents.

Stay perpendicular to the ball handler and dont bite on fakes and youre money.

The Mavs have a safant in staying in front of the ball carrier at their dispense in Devon Harris.  How are they not asking him for advice.  They guy was amazing at staying in front of his ball carrier.  Makes no sense. 

These guys need to slow down, slide at correct angle accordingly and no bite on fakes.

Wow!

Welcome to the board, and GREAT FIRST POST! 

More of you, my dude!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - youzigizag - 11-12-2023

(11-12-2023, 11:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow!

Welcome to the board, and GREAT FIRST POST! 

More of you, my dude!

Green and OMax use their highest energy at all times causing them to lose effectiveness.   McDaniels is lucky to have length and athleticism...his knees when engaged at the perimeter are wide, his arms are long too...he is hard to get around.   But its his fundamentals coupled with God Given size that make him elite.   McDaniels does not use maximum energy at all times like OMax and Green.  He uses fundamentals(staying perpendicular and sliding accordingly) first...then when the ball handler has made up his mind to attack the rim...he then uses his energy to block the shot or force the ball handler to pass.   Going full speed constantly hurts you on defense because the ball handler has the advantage of changing directions quickly.  As a defender...the best way to change directions with the ball handler is to slow down and use your energy at the end, after the ball handler has committed to something.

Slow down is the key.  Along with staying perpendicular.

Im not good with words, but the best description I can come up with was like when Dieon Sanders came into the NFL and started returning punts.   Most all other punt returners would catch ball and start going full energy.   Dieon, though,  would catch ball be patient and efficiently side step defenders coming full spedd at him that couldnt change directions quick enough.   And...it worked.

Tells these youngins to slow down.   Work on sliding and staying perpendicular with the guy youre defending...then use your energy at the end to swat the damn ball or force a pass.

McDaniels is just elite.   Wide base(knees when engaged), long arms, slides gradually, attacks with energy after the ball handler has made a bad decision to attack rim on him.   

Its simple.   Tell these guys to use their energy more efficiently.  I think you will see quick results.   Or...Im a crazy guy.  Whatever.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - SleepingHero - 11-12-2023

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1723522804987961728

Omax highlight from Frisco

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs last in NBA in PIP, but first in our hearts - Chicagojk - 11-13-2023

Old news: We need to trade Hardaway

New News: What will Hardaway resign for?

Kidding, but he has been good so far this year. He is shooting really well but he is also one of the league leaders in charges and last night had 9 rebounds.

(11-12-2023, 01:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1723522804987961728

Omax highlight from Frisco

He still needs time, but there are glimpses in these short runs.   Last night, he got called for a foul contesting a play at the rim.   It wasn't a foul though.  He hustled and put his body in position that made the finish tougher.   It was a small thing, but a winning play.   

His size is really apparent out there.   Right now, the game is either really fast for him or he is thinking too much.  Maybe both.   Both are totally normal.   Getting him a few minute runs will be a good way to get him more comfortable.  Probably not an every game role, but I would expect his minutes pick up as the year goes on.