MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - omahen - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 10:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @NickVanExit
Mavs Defensive Ratings (http://NBA.com

Full Game - 114.6 (22nd) 

1st Half - 121.7 (30th)
2nd Half - 107.6 (8th)

1st Quarter - 128.6 (28th)
2nd Quarter - 114.7 (22nd)
3rd Quarter - 105.8 (11th)
4th Quarter - 109.5 (11th)

Very interesting. I noticed that Mavs are behind most of first halves. I don't have any idea, what would be a reason for this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - SleepingHero - 11-06-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsHighlights/status/1721549235034665066

IMPORTANT, watch to the end.
Great find by Kyrie to get Josh open in the corner to close out the quarter...BUT LOOK at how positive Kyrie is with Josh after he misses the shot. This is HUGE from a leader. Calm confidence and encouragement. I see why teammates always love KI.

(11-06-2023, 10:43 AM)omahen Wrote: Very interesting. I noticed that Mavs are behind most of first halves. I don't have any idea, what would be a reason for this.

Its on the coach to prepare and hype up their players before the game to get them out to good starts. Time and again it seems like the Mavs need 2 quarters to fully wake up and be engaged before they play.

Gotta get them to snap out of it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - sefant - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 10:43 AM)omahen Wrote: Very interesting. I noticed that Mavs are behind most of first halves. I don't have any idea, what would be a reason for this.

Only 25th in net rating overall in the first half. And 2nd in net rating in the 2nd half.

Green playing starter minutes in the 2nd half, or more like 2nd most minutes on the team in the 2nd half behind Luka. Wether thats by design or just going with what works, who knows.

Green has played overall 27 min more in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half. Discrepancy sticks out.

- Mavs are +28.6 in 2nd halfs with Green on the floor (98 min). And + - 0 without Green in the 2nd half (48 min).
- Mavs are +43.8 in 2nd halfs with Hardy on the floor (33 min). Defense with Hardy on the floor is very positive so far.
- those numbers stick out. And Kleber is +30.4 net in 2nd halfs as well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - The Jom - 11-06-2023

Kyrie 22% from 3. That’s gonna improve. Didn’t he pretty much miss the whole preseason too? Add to that trouble, Denver and that 11-point loss makes up 25% of Kyrie’s minutes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - DanSchwartzgan - 11-07-2023

We had a conversation a few weeks back about what Rookie Lively might look like compared to other rookies.  Some of the names that came up were S. Adams, M. Robinson.  Various people then opined that he might be as good as so-and-so or he’ll never be as good as so-and-so.  Well, we now have 7 games under our belt.

Lively’s box score stats are 9.0/7.7 with a block and an assist per game.  He’s had three double digit scoring games (16, 15 and 10) and 3 double digit rebounding games (14, 13 and 10).  His PER is 18.8.  His WS/48 is .216 and Dallas is +8.4 when he’s on the floor.  All of that in 24 minutes a game.  The 3 times he’s gotten 30 minutes or more he’s averaged 12/12 instead of 9/7.7.  So, clearly the ability to stay on the floor is key.  But, he’s a freaking baby.  He plays a position where grown men push his skinny frame around mercilessly.  And he’s doing all of this ALREADY.  I don’t think any of us really appreciate what we are going to have here in 2-3 years.

So, back to the comparison conversation.  Adams as a rookie doesn’t tough any of Lively’s overall numbers.  In fact, in his entire Rookie season Adams had one double digit rebound game (10) and three double digit scoring games (17, 10 and 10).  

Walker Kessler is a really good comp so far.  He was 9/8 his rookie season with similar WS/48, a better PER and a worse On-Court.  He had 33 double digit point games (5 of those 20 or more) and 26 double digit rebound games.  Lively is producing that in 43% of his games so far, so that kind of production is certainly within his reach.

Jarrett Allen was an 8/5 guy as a 19 year old rookie.  He had 28 double digit scoring games, but only FIVE double digit rebound games as a rookie.

Mark Williams was a 9/7 guy last season (but in 19 minutes).  It took him a while to get going, but he had 18 double digit scoring games and 11 double digit rebound games.

Mitchell Robinson got some attention here as a comp.  He was 7/6 but had the same WS/48, a higher PER and was a negative on-court.  He had 22 double digit scoring games, but only 3 double digit rebound games (14, 12 and 11…So Lively’s already tied that).

Finally, even Duren seems within reach.  He was 9/9 last year with worse advanced stats and a negative on-court.  29 double digit scoring games and 28 double digit rebounding games.

Every year we pine for “real Centers” like these guys.  Well, we now have one.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - Scott41theMavs - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 01:52 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We had a conversation a few weeks back about what Rookie Lively might look like compared to other rookies.  Some of the names that came up were S. Adams, M. Robinson.  Various people then opined that he might be as good as so-and-so or he’ll never be as good as so-and-so.  Well, we now have 7 games under our belt.

Lively’s box score stats are 9.0/7.7 with a block and an assist per game.  He’s had three double digit scoring games (16, 15 and 10) and 3 double digit rebounding games (14, 13 and 10).  His PER is 18.8.  His WS/48 is .216 and Dallas is +8.4 when he’s on the floor.  All of that in 24 minutes a game.  The 3 times he’s gotten 30 minutes or more he’s averaged 12/12 instead of 9/7.7.  So, clearly the ability to stay on the floor is key.  But, he’s a freaking baby.  He plays a position where grown men push his skinny frame around mercilessly.  And he’s doing all of this ALREADY.  I don’t think any of us really appreciate what we are going to have here in 2-3 years.

So, back to the comparison conversation.  Adams as a rookie doesn’t tough any of Lively’s overall numbers.  In fact, in his entire Rookie season Adams had one double digit rebound game (10) and three double digit scoring games (17, 10 and 10).  

Walker Kessler is a really good comp so far.  He was 9/8 his rookie season with similar WS/48, a better PER and a worse On-Court.  He had 33 double digit point games (5 of those 20 or more) and 26 double digit rebound games.  Lively is producing that in 43% of his games so far, so that kind of production is certainly within his reach.

Jarrett Allen was an 8/5 guy as a 19 year old rookie.  He had 28 double digit scoring games, but only FIVE double digit rebound games as a rookie.

Mark Williams was a 9/7 guy last season (but in 19 minutes).  It took him a while to get going, but he had 18 double digit scoring games and 11 double digit rebound games.

Mitchell Robinson got some attention here as a comp.  He was 7/6 but had the same WS/48, a higher PER and was a negative on-court.  He had 22 double digit scoring games, but only 3 double digit rebound games (14, 12 and 11…So Lively’s already tied that).

Finally, even Duren seems within reach.  He was 9/9 last year with worse advanced stats and a negative on-court.  29 double digit scoring games and 28 double digit rebounding games.

Massive kudos to Lindsay/Nico/Finley and co. on this pick, which so many here believed to be a reach. Lots of crow being served here. As for myself, I was fine with having trading down for Lively on draft day, but what made the evening for me was the second trade - getting Holmes and especially OMax. 

I was very excited at both Lively and OMax's play in the summer league. SL is what put me on the bandwagon that the Lively naysayers were going to eat crow because his learning IQ was off the charts. 

The two things that have me rather disappointed about this offseason as it relates to the start of the season: 1) Holmes can't sniff the court, even on a back to back. I realize that Powell knows our system, does some things well, and has years of chemistry with Luka. He's still a journeyman who should be benched from the 7-8-man rotation by any real bigs (as in, Lively, plus another guy). Holmes must be stinking up the joint something awful in practice to get no minutes. 2) Of course, Holmes was supposed to be insurance plus the cost of acquiring OMax. Note my sub-heading under my screen name. Given OMax's last two years of college and his brilliant 2-way performance in summer league, his pitiful pre-season performance made no sense whatsoever, and his inability to get minutes so far (has GL started yet? why isn't he there if so?) is deeply discouraging. 

There is one solitary explanation to me to make his last two years of college and the SL performance fit with the preseason and his lack of any court time in-season - he developed a substance abuse problem in the meantime. I know that's a rather damning thing to presume, but absolutely nothing else makes sense to me. There was all the evidence in the world in summer league that he would soon overtake GW for role and minutes. The whole conversation you were having in the other thread with omahen was how we needed a bigger GW. I'm simply flabbergasted that OMax is no longer the obvious answer.

Much as I would like to pat myself on the back for what I correctly "knew" about Lively, I feel dumb as dirt about OMax, so I lose all bragging privileges.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - KillerLeft - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 02:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Powell...He's still a journeyman who should be benched from the 7-8-man rotation by any real bigs 

He's not. He's about as far from "journeyman" as one can possibly be. He's been a Maverick longer than any other current Maverick. I imagine we'll start to see him creep into the franchise record books in some surprising ways pretty soon.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - The Jom - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 01:52 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We had a conversation a few weeks back about what Rookie Lively might look like compared to other rookies.  Some of the names that came up were S. Adams, M. Robinson.  Various people then opined that he might be as good as so-and-so or he’ll never be as good as so-and-so.  Well, we now have 7 games under our belt.

Making that kind of contribution on a winning team is much more impressive than doing it on the rebuild. Were any of those other guys on playoff teams? Kessler is your best comp, imho. Or maybe ole Tyson Chandler himself? Anyway, another top-shelf post by DS!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - Scott41theMavs - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 02:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's not. He's about as far from "journeyman" as once can possibly be. He's been a Maverick longer than any other current Maverick. I imagine we'll start to see him creep into the franchise record books in some surprising ways pretty soon.

Sorry. I'm not Dougie, but a serious playoff team does not have Dwight freaking Powell in its 8-man rotation, period. Cheers to Powell for what he is able to do, but the only reason he has had the opportunity to do so was Cuban's pride regarding the Rondo gaffe.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - KillerLeft - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 02:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Sorry. I'm not Dougie, but a serious playoff team does not have Dwight freaking Powell in its 8-man rotation, period. Cheers to Powell for what he is able to do, but the only reason he has had the opportunity to do so was Cuban's pride regarding the Rondo gaffe.

I disagree, plain and simple. With every bit of this. I think he's a good player, and I'm glad he's around.

(11-07-2023, 02:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I disagree, plain and simple. With every bit of this. I think he's a good player, and I'm glad he's around.

Fair enough! I very much respect your opinions, so I'm happy to agree to disagree on this. To me, Powell is a good player, as long as he isn't cracking the top 8 in minutes on the team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - The Jom - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 02:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Fair enough! I very much respect your opinions, so I'm happy to agree to disagree on this. To me, Powell is a good player, as long as he isn't cracking the top 8 in minutes on the team.

Now wait a minute here! DP’s 16.0 mins/game ranks 9th on the team for the season. Sounds like most of this disagreement is just emphasis.

(11-07-2023, 02:31 PM)The Jom Wrote: Now wait a minute here! DP’s 16.0 mins/game ranks 9th on the team for the season. Sounds like most of this disagreement is just emphasis.

He'll rise on that ranking based on Maxi's absence, unless Holmes (and/or Kidd?) unbusts.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - SleepingHero - 11-07-2023

Interesting Kyrie defensive stats
Fg%: 47.7 Dfg: 38.6
Opponents shoot 9.6% worse when guarded by Kyrie
That's 9th best in the nba and best in the league among guards minimum 11 defensive fga

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 02:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He'll rise on that ranking based on Maxi's absence, unless Holmes (and/or Kidd?) unbusts.

Sure but this is slightly moving the goal posts of the original argument, no?  Powell moving up because of Maxi doesn't mean that he'd be moving up in the playoff pecking order which was the initial concern.

Kind of funny because I agree with you and I agree with Killer and I think Jom made the main point that both your opinions can live in harmony.  I love Powell in his current role, he will be absolutely crucial for our 82 game success as Lively needs to learn how to navigate 48 minutes with 6 fouls at his disposal at this level.  I also agree that our playoff rotation will be stronger if Powell isn't in the top 8.  I also agree that he already isn't in the top 8, he was honestly playing very few minutes 2 years ago in the playoffs so now that we have a better pick and roll option I would assume he's probably moved altogether and backup center minutes goes to Maxi and we just play 5 out.  I could even see us playing DJJ as a center on offense in the minutes that Lively is on the bench as well and we've also flirted with GWill as a small ball big.

Luka
Kyrie
Williams
Green
Hardaway
Lively
Powell
Maxi
DJJ
Hardy 

That's our clear top 10 as of right now and I would assume that Hardy and Powell would be the odd men out if we started the playoffs tomorrow and shortened the rotation.

(11-07-2023, 02:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Interesting Kyrie defensive stats
Fg%: 47.7  Dfg: 38.6
Opponents shoot 9.6% worse when guarded by Kyrie
That's 9th best in the nba and best in the league among guards minimum 11 defensive fga

Kyrie's defense has been really good over the last two games.  The narrative on him has not matched what I've seen on the court.  He gets his hands on everything and creates a ton of extra possessions for us.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - DallasMaverick - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 02:48 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Sure but this is slightly moving the goal posts of the original argument, no?  Powell moving up because of Maxi doesn't mean that he'd be moving up in the playoff pecking order which was the initial concern.

Kind of funny because I agree with you and I agree with Killer and I think Jom made the main point that both your opinions can live in harmony.  I love Powell in his current role, he will be absolutely crucial for our 82 game success as Lively needs to learn how to navigate 48 minutes with 6 fouls at his disposal at this level.  I also agree that our playoff rotation will be stronger if Powell isn't in the top 8.  I also agree that he already isn't in the top 8, he was honestly playing very few minutes 2 years ago in the playoffs so now that we have a better pick and roll option I would assume he's probably moved altogether and backup center minutes goes to Maxi and we just play 5 out.  I could even see us playing DJJ as a center on offense in the minutes that Lively is on the bench as well and we've also flirted with GWill as a small ball big.

Luka
Kyrie
Williams
Green
Hardaway
Lively
Powell
Maxi
DJJ
Hardy 

That's our clear top 10 as of right now and I would assume that Hardy and Powell would be the odd men out if we started the playoffs tomorrow and shortened the rotation.

Kyrie's defense has been really good over the last two games.  The narrative on him has not matched what I've seen on the court.  He gets his hands on everything and creates a ton of extra possessions for us.

A couple of really nice steals at opportune moments.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - dirkfansince1998 - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 02:48 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Kyrie's defense has been really good over the last two games.  The narrative on him has not matched what I've seen on the court.  He gets his hands on everything and creates a ton of extra possessions for us.

Not a narrative. Just a look at the lineup numbers. For whatever reason (I would assume playing too many mediocre and undersized perimeter defenders at the same time) Kyrie's minutes are hurting the Mavs on defense. Same for THJ.
Kyrie as the smallest guy on the floor is getting the easiest matchup (basically took Luka's spot) but that creates bad machups for his teammates. Against the Hornets for example he was defending Miller. Meaning that THJ/Green had to defend Ball. Luka on Hayward. Next game against the Nuggets he was defending KCP.

It's not really about Kyrie as a bad individual defender. It's about the amount of mediocre/undersized defenders you can get away with. Right now the Mavs are a pipe dream matchup for teams that want to switch hunt. So many weaknesses to exploit on the defensive end.

Leading to the big picture questions. What is the ceiling of a Luka/Kyrie duo? Can the Mavs put enough defense around them to make it work?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 03:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not a narrative. Just a look at the lineup numbers. For whatever reason (I would assume playing too many mediocre and undersized perimeter defenders at the same time) Kyrie's minutes are hurting the Mavs on defense. Same for THJ.
Kyrie as the smallest guy on the floor is getting the easiest matchup (basically took Luka's spot) but that creates bad machups for his teammates. Against the Hornets for example he was defending Miller. Meaning that THJ/Green had to defend Ball. Luka on Hayward. Next game against the Nuggets he was defending KCP.

It's not really about Kyrie as a bad individual defender. It's about the amount of mediocre/undersized defenders you can get away with. Right now the Mavs are a pipe dream matchup for teams that want to switch hunt. So many weaknesses to exploit on the defensive end.

Leading to the big picture questions. What is the ceiling of a Luka/Kyrie duo? Can the Mavs put enough defense around them to make it work?

I don't disagree with any of this and understand that the Kyrie lineups show a negative defensive impact but the thing I would say is that it's been a super small sample size.  I would also be curious to see those on/off metrics broken into 1st and 2nd half numbers because right now what I've seen is Kyrie leading comebacks in the 3rd quarter which requires stops being made and him being a huge part of our 4th quarter minutes where we have a net rating of +27.  I also know that counting stats on defense aren't the best things to look at but 8 steals and 3 blocks over the last 3 games is nothing to scoff at, especially when we're winning so many close games.

Something that I found really interesting that Brian Windhorst brought up time and time again on the Hoop Collective last year was that while the Nuggets didn't seem like a great defensive team, their clutch time defense told a much different story and we're starting to see a similar formula play out here (not saying we're on that level obviously, just found it interesting commentary on how defense can be leveled up when needed by good teams).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi w/ pinky toe dislocation - dirkfansince1998 - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 03:39 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I don't disagree with any of this and understand that the Kyrie lineups show a negative defensive impact but the thing I would say is that it's been a super small sample size.  I would also be curious to see those on/off metrics broken into 1st and 2nd half numbers because right now what I've seen is Kyrie leading comebacks in the 3rd quarter which requires stops being made and him being a huge part of our 4th quarter minutes where we have a net rating of +27.  I also know that counting stats on defense aren't the best things to look at but 8 steals and 3 blocks over the last 3 games is nothing to scoff at, especially when we're winning so many close games.

Something that I found really interesting that Brian Windhorst brought up time and time again on the Hoop Collective last year was that while the Nuggets didn't seem like a great defensive team, their clutch time defense told a much different story and we're starting to see a similar formula play out here (not saying we're on that level obviously, just found it interesting commentary on how defense can be leveled up when needed by good teams).

Agreed. Mavs certainly have more potential on the defensive end than the first half suggests. And it is pretty obvious that some players (Luka!!!) are taking too many plays off on defense.
Looking at the rotation the main difference between the first and second half is Green's role. 11 minutes in the first half. 16 in the second half. +/- indicates that he is the glue guy that makes things work.
Interestingly the pattern you noticed also shows up. Kyrie has the worst +/- on the roster in the first half (-10.0). Best in the second half (+11.6). Luka/Kyrie minutes aren't looking as good as they could. Stretch in the late first with Kyrie/THJ is terrible. For some reason the same lineups look way better in the second half.

Would the second half minutes still be good if you factor out the closing 5 mins? I’m too lazy to do that math. But I wonder how much of the difference is just that closing strength.

I’m on the fence about Kidd as a coach. But I gotta say, I remember the huge, huge difference he made as a defensive player over the back half of the 4th quarter. It was an enormous part of our 2011 run. We would just smother teams to close out games. I would watch for the clock to hit 6 mins because that’s when the whistles would usually be scheduled for a stretch of fair play.