MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - DanSchwartzgan - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 08:52 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Certainly weak competition has helped, but it's just what the doctor ordered when placing 3 new players (Lively, GWill, DJJ) into the top 6 rotation.  It gives us confidence and allows us to gel without being too stressed by competition.

Dan, where do you get your advanced stats?

Everything today has been Basketball Reference.  Lineup data is NBA.com.  EPM data is Dunks and Threes.  BBall-Index for LEBRON metric.  Spotrac is the best place for salary and cap data.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - DanSchwartzgan - 11-02-2023

Luka/Lively/Williams/Green lineups are killing it:

https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1720040282996035853

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 09:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Everything today has been Basketball Reference.  Lineup data is NBA.com.  EPM data is Dunks and Threes.  BBall-Index for LEBRON metric.  Spotrac is the best place for salary and cap data.

Thanks.  I have a statistical model that I use for Fanduel fantasy, but that's just production of fantasy points from nba.com.  I try to forecast player production based upon trending (like a demand planning model).  No advanced stats; just my mathematics.

You gave me great resources for my GM geeking out of actual advanced stats.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - Ghost of Podkolzin - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 09:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Luka/Lively/Williams/Green lineups are killing it:

Outstanding.  Now it's up to the coaching staff to add Kyrie back in and make our top 5 elite TOGETHER.

(11-02-2023, 09:10 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Thanks.  I have a statistical model that I use for Fanduel fantasy, but that's just production of fantasy points from nba.com.  I try to forecast player production based upon trending (like a demand planning model).  No advanced stats; just my mathematics.

You gave me great resources for my GM geeking out of actual advanced stats.

82games.com does some interesting things that others don’t, but they don’t put out data into well into the season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - mvossman - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 09:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Everything today has been Basketball Reference.  Lineup data is NBA.com.  EPM data is Dunks and Threes.  BBall-Index for LEBRON metric.  Spotrac is the best place for salary and cap data.

The one other resource that I think is really good (same quality as EPM and better than LEBRON) is DPM (from DARKO.com).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-02-2023

Curious how the rotation changes with Maxi out. Probably some Morris over the next few games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - mvossman - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 09:32 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Curious how the rotation changes with Maxi out.  Probably some Morris over the next few games.

I think Maxi has been playing mostly center.  I would rather see what Holmes has.

(11-02-2023, 09:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 82games.com does some interesting things that others don’t, but they don’t put out data into well into the season.

Did they ever post data for 22-23?  They used to be my go-to.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 09:37 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think Maxi has been playing mostly center.  I would rather see what Holmes has.

Agreed but he's been used as a center who allows us to play 5 out which is the only reason I guess Morris.  Or they use DJJ differently to cover up those moments.

I'm with you though, would like to use the opportunity to get Holmes some burn.

(11-02-2023, 09:37 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think Maxi has been playing mostly center.  I would rather see what Holmes has.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're paying Holmes $22million the next 2 years to be a vet min, 15th player on the roster.  That was the cost for getting OMax (paying now for an asset that will need some ripening).  IMO Holmes will only get complete and absolute garbage minutes.  He looked awful in the preseason.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - SleepingHero - 11-02-2023

[StatMuse] Dereck Lively tonight: 7 PTS 13 REB (7 OREB) 6 AST 2 STL The first rookie to reach these numbers or better in a game since Steve Francis in 2000.

https://x.com/statmuse/status/1719910242979303426?s=46&t=vJVRjsNMIspCGYJu_TpvwA

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - SleepingHero - 11-02-2023

[Image: image.png?ex=65562f9f&is=6543ba9f&hm=d2e...eight=1016]

(11-02-2023, 10:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [StatMuse] Dereck Lively tonight: 7 PTS 13 REB (7 OREB) 6 AST 2 STL The first rookie to reach these numbers or better in a game since Steve Francis in 2000.

https://x.com/statmuse/status/1719910242979303426?s=46&t=vJVRjsNMIspCGYJu_TpvwA

This kid's game seems to know no ceiling.  6 assists?!?!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - KillerLeft - 11-02-2023

Agree with those who expect to see Morris get a chance to fill in for Kleber. I think that’s the entire reason he’s on the roster.

If Morris could shuffle his feet I'd agree. I truly think he's just here as a 2mil salary filler that the other team can waive with no qualms should he be traded.

Mavs need to find a new Maxi. Who is a 4/5 that's around 7ft, can hit 3s, and can guard 2-5?

(11-02-2023, 11:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: If Morris could shuffle his feet I'd agree. I truly think he's just here as a 2mil salary filler that the other team can waive with no qualms should he be traded.

Mavs need to find a new Maxi. Who is a 4/5 that's around 7ft, can hit 3s, and can guard 2-5?

My quick list of guys that aren't absolutely untouchable:

Lauri 
Jabari Smith Jr. (Will Houston give up on him this quickly?)
Bobby Portis
Jonathan Isaac

Short list and all of them have their own issues. Lauri will cost an arm and a leg. Smith Jr. might just suck. Bobby is crazy. Isaac and Kyrie would not mesh at all.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - loki - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 09:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Luka/Lively/Williams/Green lineups are killing it:

Definitely worth keeping an eye on as the schedule gets tougher. I'm afraid there isn't enough shot creation without Kyrie in the long run, but it would be nice if a bigger defensive-minded lineup were possible.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - The Jom - 11-02-2023

Is there anyone else in the nba hitting that fake-and-side-step-one-dribble three that G dub has down to perfection? That seems like the degree of difficulty would be off the charts.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Kyrie has foot sprain| Maxi exits with foot injury - KillerLeft - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 12:19 PM)The Jom Wrote: Is there anyone else in the nba hitting that fake-and-side-step-one-dribble three that G dub has down to perfection? That seems like the degree of difficulty would be off the charts.

There are dozens of people shooting and hitting that shot. He's probably one of the few who would be considered role players though. Definitely seems like GWilliams has some untapped upside that he wasn't given credit for around here after the signing. I think he's going to continue to improve with more freedom and responsibility now that he's not buried behind Tatum and Brown.