MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Pablo Laso in line to replace Kidd...? Hardy, Green hurt. - MrGoat - 10-24-2023

(10-23-2023, 05:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think this was a mistake.  Yes, congrats to Nico in the near term.  $13.7mm is good value for the team.  It also makes team salary manageable next season.

But after two years of this deal (so 3 from now when he's 25) Josh will be extension eligible and we won't be able to extend him because 140% of his final year is only $20mm.  So, Josh will be a full on UFA in 2027.  We will either pay dearly for this or lose him altogether.  My range was $14mm-$16mm, so $13.7mm isn't that far off.  But, I'm not a fan of the 3 year term.

4 years away is too far out to worry about that because so many things can change. And it's a very good thing to have him locked in without worrying about his next contract because we have a bit of a history of players getting disgruntled with us in contract years. Come 2027 if he's an integral piece of the team we'll just have to throw the Brinks truck at him (because he's not going to give us another sweetheart deal like this in UFA and if we try to dick him around in the contract year he'll just leave so we'd have no incentive to mess with his minutes even in the contract year). It's not the end of the world to have to give a player a big contract if you need that player. Considering a guy like Jaden McDaniels got 5/136 this contract could also be a valuable trade chip if we want to go that route. Austin Reaves is 25 years old, Josh Green is 22. Because of the upside factor he would have been a lot more expensive barring a disastrous 23-24 season had we waited to do this

RE: MAVS NEWS: Pablo Laso in line to replace Kidd...? Hardy, Green hurt. - Reunion Mav - 10-24-2023

(10-23-2023, 06:45 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'd call it advancing the conversation rather than nitpicking.  I acknowledged the positives.  Those are obvious.  

But, how many posts have we seen that took the time to even think about what this does down the road.  Nico's job is bigger than just what this does to the 24/25 cap.  He has to think through extensions and I'm saying right now that Josh won't extend off of this number.  You can take the season to evaluate if you'd like.  I don't think it will take that long.      

I think we collectively seem to anchor to negative things with certain players.  Brunson was 'unplayable' in the playoffs until he wasn't.  But, people are still anchored to Green not taking open shots against Gobert in the playoffs.  He's not the same guy.  Kidd is an idiot regarding just about any topic around here unless its his decision to start Holiday for a few games.  Then, its an indictment on how good Green is.

The upside is really high here.  It doesn't take a leap.  It just takes him doing what he does when he gets PT.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to see Josh get another extension 3 years from now.  I think we'll all eventually get to a point where we all agree this is a problem.  Until then, at least this should clear up any team shenanigan's surrounding his playing time or role.

Advancing the conversation with legitimate information. I like that!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Pablo Laso in line to replace Kidd...? Hardy, Green hurt. - Chicagojk - 10-24-2023

(10-23-2023, 06:45 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'd call it advancing the conversation rather than nitpicking.  I acknowledged the positives.  Those are obvious.  

But, how many posts have we seen that took the time to even think about what this does down the road.  Nico's job is bigger than just what this does to the 24/25 cap.  He has to think through extensions and I'm saying right now that Josh won't extend off of this number.  You can take the season to evaluate if you'd like.  I don't think it will take that long.      

I think we collectively seem to anchor to negative things with certain players.  Brunson was 'unplayable' in the playoffs until he wasn't.  But, people are still anchored to Green not taking open shots against Gobert in the playoffs.  He's not the same guy.  Kidd is an idiot regarding just about any topic around here unless its his decision to start Holiday for a few games.  Then, its an indictment on how good Green is.

The upside is really high here.  It doesn't take a leap.  It just takes him doing what he does when he gets PT.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to see Josh get another extension 3 years from now.  I think we'll all eventually get to a point where we all agree this is a problem.  Until then, at least this should clear up any team shenanigan's surrounding his playing time or role.

I was thinking the negotiating would be based on salary.  It looks like it was based on years.  I guess that is fair.  Green gets generational money no matter what happens the next few years, but gives him chance to make big money in his next contract (or 2) if he develops into an elite 3 and D guy.   

Who knows where we will be in 3-4 years.   I think if Luka is here and Green is a starter, him resigning is much more likely.    If the Mavs view him as a bench guy, I would say the odds go way down.  Especially if Green game grows over the next few years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - Scott41theMavs - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 04:33 AM)Halfnir Wrote: So glad that Green is locked up for another 4 years on a very reasonable contract before the season starts. Now the Mavs can fully commit to him and try to get the most out of him without the fear of having to pay him too much if he performs very well.

Underrated post, tbh. You nailed it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - RoyTarpleysGhost - 10-24-2023

[Brad Townsend] Mavericks media notes list this probable starting 5 for tomorrow night: Derrick Jones Jr., Grant Williams, Dereck Lively II, Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - KillerLeft - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 05:42 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: [Brad Townsend] Mavericks media notes list this probable starting 5 for tomorrow night: Derrick Jones Jr., Grant Williams, Dereck Lively II, Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic.

Wow. Kidd is really just not a Green fan, is he?

JamesConway912 - JamesConway912 - 10-24-2023

What on earth has Jones done to deserve a spot in the starting lineup? Completely irrational. Just like starting Justin Holiday last season after picking him up off the street midseason.

This Jones-stuff will end up being a complete disaster once more. 

Dumb. Just commit to Green and be done with this nonsense.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - Scott41theMavs - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 05:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow. Kidd is really just not a Green fan, is he?

Thought Green was out with an ankle injury.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 06:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Thought Green was out with an ankle injury.

No that’s Hardy. Josh fell and had a sore back but played in the last preseason game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - Chicagojk - 10-24-2023

I think Green should start. We don’t have anyone who fits better. I just always got the impression Kidd views him as a heavy minute bench player. Regardless, he should finish most nights.

I think His plan is to have a wave approach. At the beginning of games Luka typically likes to score or get a rim runner some baskets. I think Kidd is looking for guys to bring off the bench to build leads.

Again, I think Green could start. If we had another starting caliber wing on the roster, I may think differently.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - omahen - 10-24-2023

Good luck playing two non shooters.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Green signs 3/41 extension! - SleepingHero - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 05:42 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: [Brad Townsend] Mavericks media notes list this probable starting 5 for tomorrow night: Derrick Jones Jr., Grant Williams, Dereck Lively II, Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic.

[Image: laughing-crying.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Spurs vs. Mavs on 10/25!| Green signs 3/41 extension! - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 10-24-2023

What in the world…

RE: MAVS NEWS: Spurs vs. Mavs on 10/25!| Green signs 3/41 extension! - KillerLeft - 10-24-2023

Maybe Green isn't 100%. Maybe he likes him in combo with a specific bench unit for a good reason.

I promise to give Kidd a chance this year...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Spurs vs. Mavs on 10/25!| Green signs 3/41 extension! - SleepingHero - 10-26-2023

Jason Kidd says starting Maxi Kleber was a defense assignment for tonight and to protect Dereck Lively II from foul trouble.

“As we go forward, we understand that Lively will start at some point… He’s about the team and you saw that tonight and that’s what makes him special.”

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/1717405868898009285

RE: MAVS NEWS: Spurs vs. Mavs on 10/25!| Green signs 3/41 extension! - SleepingHero - 10-26-2023

[Image: xtql86od8hwb1.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s...f6be1c89f1]

image so nice I had to post it twice.

@MFollowill
To Brian's point below about pace. Of the 14 games played so far this season, the Mavs vs Spurs game was played at the 2nd fastest pace, 107 possessions per team. At 97.2 possessions a game last year, the Mavs were 28th. It's been a point of emphasis and hopefully it continues.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Spurs vs. Mavs on 10/25!| Green signs 3/41 extension! - DanSchwartzgan - 10-26-2023

(10-26-2023, 12:06 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Jason Kidd says starting Maxi Kleber was a defense assignment for tonight and to protect Dereck Lively II from foul trouble.

“As we go forward, we understand that Lively will start at some point… He’s about the team and you saw that tonight and that’s what makes him special.”

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/1717405868898009285

I don’t think you can beat Kidd up for this decision.  It worked.  Even the most optimistic Lively Fan Boys among us didn’t see this coming.  We can’t know if we’d have seen the same thing had he started.

The Maxi minutes were awful.  He had two positive stints (early second and end of third).  Both of those would have been against subs.  All of his minutes against starters were just awful.  But, Lively can’t play 48. I’m actually more shocked at 30 minutes than I am at the scoring.  He’s going to get points off of lobs.  The pleasant surprise (and we saw this in preseason) is the non lob scoring.  There is more to his game than the Duke highlights show.  History tells me we will eventually be fine between Powell and Maxi in the non-Lively minutes once Kidd puts Lively in the starting lineup.

Since this is a Green thread, I’ll mention that the Lively, GWill, Green, Luka and Irving minutes were outstanding last night.  They played together mid-second (+3) and to close the second (+6).  Same thing in the second half.  They were together mid-fourth (-6) and closed the game +9.  That grouping isn’t an issue whether you call Green a starter or not.

What we really need is one more guy who takes the DJJ/Exum/Curry minutes (23 last night).  We essentially ran a playoff-tight 7 man rotation with these three guys sharing an 8th spot.  Each of them has an NBA skill, but not all the skills a rotation player needs.  This kind of points out the beauty of someone like Green.  He does all of the things that are the best skills of those three guys (D, secondary creation and outside shooting) at a fairly high level and is only 22.  We could probably use another Green, not less of the one we have.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Spurs vs. Mavs on 10/25!| Green signs 3/41 extension! - Mavs2021 - 10-26-2023

(10-26-2023, 06:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What we really need is one more guy who takes the DJJ/Exum/Curry minutes (23 last night).  We essentially ran a playoff-tight 7 man rotation with these three guys sharing an 8th spot.  Each of them has an NBA skill, but not all the skills a rotation player needs.  This kind of points out the beauty of someone like Green.  He does all of the things that are the best skills of those three guys (D, secondary creation and outside shooting) at a fairly high level and is only 22.  We could probably use another Green, not less of the one we have.

Hardy is still on the team, right?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Spurs vs. Mavs on 10/25!| Green signs 3/41 extension! - DanSchwartzgan - 10-26-2023

(10-26-2023, 07:04 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Hardy is still on the team, right?

Probably not as long as THJ is getting nearly 30 minutes Sad

But, at this point, I think you lump him in with those other three guys as one-dimensional.  I question whether that dimension is high on the list of needs given the skills of our top seven players right now.