MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - IamDougieFresh - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:15 PM)cow Wrote: DAJ is what broke me.  The sooner everyone realizes that the Dallas Mavericks are one of the worst run organizations in basketball, the better.  We aren't and as long as Cuban is the owner, will not be a destination city.  We've just been lucky enough to be bolstered by two of the best basketball players that have ever drawn a breath.  Flexibility, cap space and powder don't trigger me, it's when we start talking about fit of other stars like we'd be able to get them in the first place.  Beggars can't be choosers or what not.  We are going to have to pay more or offer more years to get the free agents willing to look our way which is why Crowder isn't here and McGee is.

JB's the textbook example of our asset management.  This horse has been kicked to death though.

Nico is another example of Cuban's mismanagement.  And that's not really a knock Nico or saying that he can't succeed, but here we are with another transcendent talent and and asset pool and cap situation in shambles and what does our owner do?  Hires a replacement GM with no experience to try and dig out of the hole.  Kidd was another interesting choice but that's a different story altogether.

If Donnie didn’t hit on two players that we shouldn’t have been available to us we would be a Kings level franchise. Ironically the Kings could have drafted Dirk or Luka. I guess at least we are not the Kings.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - cow - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:27 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: If Donnie didn’t hit on two players that we shouldn’t have been available to us we would be a Kings level franchise. Ironically the Kings could have drafted Dirk or Luka. I guess at least we are not the Kings.

Exactly.  The only thing separating us from the Kings, Magic or Hornets is when we hit big in the draft, we hit BIG which I guess puts us above them...slightly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Hypermav - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:26 PM)cow Wrote: My larger point is everyone is at everyone else's throat over JaVale Fucking McGee who is going to make 5.5m this year.
[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - KillerLeft - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: In my mind, there may be a possibility (again, if this is the set roster) that Nico could be looking at the roster building this way. There is nothing that I saw with Kidd (starting with him not really wanting to name Powell the starting C at the beginning of the season and letting the player's leadership group decide instead) that makes me think he wants to play Powell other than in emergency. Wait, maybe Cuban will force his will on Kidd in that regard...

IF Wood and Powell are played during the same game, I'm right there with you. That is a horrible, horrible plan. I really just see no way that Kidd could possibly think that will help him win games.

So you’re correct. Even this isn’t a done deal. 

I’m just not seeing an alternative on the roster. That’s why I made my post yesterday about how they view Green. I suppose it’s conceivable that they are EXPECTING Green (or Nitilikina, or Hardy, or Dorsey) to be a top 8-9 type guy. This would feel unwise to me, but they know more about those players and their progress than I do.

From a skins-on-the-wall angle, from a salary angle and from a locker room angle, Powell would seem to be squarely ahead of those guys to me. I just have a hard time seeing them treat him like they treated Boban.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - DanSchwartzgan - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: As far as how the current pieces fit together, I disagree that we can’t make the assumptions I’m making. Maybe I’m not doing a good enough job of articulating my concerns, but I feel like I can see problems coming from a mile away.

Before 7/1 you assumed Wood was our starting center.  Now you assume he won't play any center because we are dedicated to minutes for McGee AND Powell.  There is a middle ground that makes much more sense.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - RoyTarpleysGhost - 07-11-2022

Prepare yourselves for a lot of anti Luka propaganda from a certain someone if the Mavs take a step back this season.  I forsee a lot of cherry picked advanced stats about how Luka is the problem.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - cow - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:31 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So you’re correct. Even this isn’t a done deal. 

I’m just not seeing an alternative on the roster. That’s why I made my post yesterday about how they view Green. I suppose it’s conceivable that they are EXPECTING Green (or Nitilikina, or Hardy, or Dorsey) to be a top 8-9 type guy. 

From a skins-on-the-wall angle, from a salary angle and from a locker room angle, Powell would seem to be squarely ahead of those guys to me. I just have a hard time seeing them treat him like they treated Boban.

You are going to feel better when Mecha Michael Jordan drops 35 points tonight.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - dirkfansince1998 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:33 PM)cow Wrote: You are going to feel better when Mecha Michael Jordan drops 35 points tonight.

Depends. If Bingham and Wright are doing another McGee impression and try to foul out in a summer league game that might dampen the mood Big Grin

(07-11-2022, 05:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Depends. If Bingham and Wright are doing another McGee impression and try to foul out in a summer league game that might dampen the mood Big Grin

Who and who?  I only concern myself with apex super stars.  #HardyParty

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - KillerLeft - 07-11-2022

The hard, non-negotiable bottom line for me is this:

If @"Kammrath" is right, and there’s some sort of Powell (+ Green or some other minor asset) trade for a rotation wing or PG coming, my opinion will change, and maybe significantly. 

In lieu of that, I’m going to be extremely disappointed.

(07-11-2022, 05:33 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Before 7/1 you assumed Wood was our starting center.  Now you assume he won't play any center because we are dedicated to minutes for McGee AND Powell.  There is a middle ground that makes much more sense.

Not assuming he won’t play any center. Never once have I written that.

I want his DEFAULT position to be center, and I want MOST of his minutes to be at center, and I want the team to have the FLEXIBILITY to play only he and Kleber at center in a 7-game series if that’s what they need to do.

I feel I’ve been clear.

(07-11-2022, 05:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The hard, non-negotiable bottom line for me is this:

If @"Kammrath" is right, and there’s some sort of Powell (+ Green or some other minor asset) trade for a rotation wing or PG coming, my opinion will change, and maybe significantly. 

In lieu of that, I’m going to be extremely disappointed.

If you have a Waiters jersey in your closet you might be VERY happy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - Kammrath - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 04:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk man. You’ve been saying another move is coming. You say that every summer. If/when it happens, you’ll claim victory. If/when it doesn’t, you’ll say it wasn’t needed. 

Tear my opinions down if it makes you feel better, but I stick by what I think, and I don’t change my narrative later. I admit when I was wrong, but I feel I’ve been right about a lot of what I’ve written these past few years.

Seriously? You think I don't stick to my opinions?

I don't have the same narrative every summer, that's total and unfounded fabrication. 

My opinion on the roster that I have been very clear on:

1) I could SEE them rolling with it as is if they need to (assuming a deal they like doesn't materialize) until the TDL. I don't love it as is, but I think it is manageable as is.

2) I do think they will try very hard to make a deal (and Stein, MacMahon, Skin, etc., all back that up), but it is going to be after the KD dust settles likely. I hope they make a deal because I think there are key ways they could improve things (even though I think the roster as is could easily be an improvement on last year because of fit). But if they don't make a deal before training camp (and that could happen), then see #1. 

And this place is going to shit. I hate being on here these days. It's becoming an abyss of endless negative drivel and lack of listening like the rest of the internet.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - RoyTarpleysGhost - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Seriously? You think I don't stick to my opinions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfAwarewolves/

(07-11-2022, 05:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: And this place is going to shit. I hate being on here these days. It's becoming an abyss of endless negative drivel and lack of listening like the rest of the internet.

Give people time to get past the sting of Brunson.  It will get better during the season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - IamDougieFresh - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:30 PM)cow Wrote: Exactly.  The only thing separating us from the Kings, Magic or Hornets is when we hit big in the draft, we hit BIG which I guess puts us above them...slightly.

Players that get ranked above Dirk consistently above Dirk all got to play with amazing players. In 15+ years of great Dirk, Mark and Donnie got Dirk JET, TC, JJB, old Kidd, let Nash go. I don’t even want to ponder the reality we would be in if Dirk didn’t have the greatest playoff run of all time.

(07-11-2022, 05:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It's becoming an abyss of endless negative drivel and lack of listening like the rest of the internet.

I read and carefully consider every word you write here. I have defended your takes on countless occasions, even when I didn’t fully agree with them, because I felt they were being misrepresented. I stuck up for what I thought was fair in those situations, as I am doing today.

You attacked me with that gif. You’re not “listening” to me. You’re accusing me of being negative. 

Others are straw-manning my nuanced opinion (which isn’t even complicated, yet seems difficult for some of our best to understand) and putting words in my mouth.

I am not being negative. I am being truthful about my reactions to what’s happening. People are free to disagree, obviously. I’m not backing down. Without the move you and I both are hoping for, I’m NOT going to be happy with the off-season. Period. If you are, that’s cool.

Are you saying that I must agree with others’ opinions or risk making this place less fun? If so, I’ll happily go.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - dirkfansince1998 - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: And this place is going to shit. I hate being on here these days. It's becoming an abyss of endless negative drivel and lack of listening like the rest of the internet.

Do you at least realize that other people might have similar thoughts for completly different reasons. One calls it negative drivel. Others just dissenting views. I see it completly differently. This board needs more dissent. Different opinions. More variety. Less herd mentality. And that goes both ways. There is a place for sunshine pumping. There is a place for negativity. And anything in between.

(07-11-2022, 05:46 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Players that get ranked above Dirk consistently above Dirk all got to play with amazing players. In 15+ years of great Dirk, Mark and Donnie got Dirk JET, TC, JJB, old Kidd, let Nash go. I don’t even want to ponder the reality we would be in if Dirk didn’t have the greatest playoff run of all time.

Don't forget Trix.  I know we heap praise on Dirk and a lot of people want Luka to follow suit but I don't.  Dirk left a lot on the table by being loyal to Cuban.  The only thing that could possibly, but certainly not assuredly, make Cuban change his way is for Luka to walk out the door.  I do think there is a real possibility it wouldn't matter and we'd end up with a Dan Gilbert styled letter in the Dallas Morning News.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Hardy signs 3yrs/$4.8M | Kidd: McGee & SD to start | no JB SnT - ItsGoTime - 07-11-2022

(07-11-2022, 05:31 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: From a skins-on-the-wall angle, from a salary angle and from a locker room angle, Powell would seem to be squarely ahead of those guys to me. I just have a hard time seeing them treat him like they treated Boban.
I guess from my point of view, he plays a role for this team that has now been filled by McGee, so to think that Green or Frank is the 9th man is to believe that role is more needed than the role Powell plays (still have the 15th roster spot to fill). Boban was treated worse than an emergency C, so there's that. I just think Kidd is headstrong enough to play his team the way he wants to and not listen to Nico or Mark. We've also seen he doesn't care about salary in the hierarchy of playing guys, see THJ and Bertans.

(07-11-2022, 05:50 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I guess from my point of view, he plays a role for this team that has now been filled by McGee, so to think that Green or Frank is the 9th man is to believe that role is more needed than the role Powell plays (still have the 15th roster spot to fill).

Man, I sure hope you’re right. 

It wouldn’t excuse the lack of improvement over Green or Frank, but it would at least get my status up a couple of defcon levels.