MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - ballsrchr - 10-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 09:26 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I really hope so, but it’s not looking promising for him, IMO. I’d much rather have him looking for a shot than have THJ seeking his.

Damn.  You're right.  I forgot about Hardy.  He's got to play...but he needs to work on shot selection.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - ThisIStheYear - 10-09-2023

Hardy will be in the rotation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Ghost of Podkolzin - 10-10-2023

(10-09-2023, 08:30 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Hardy will be in the rotation.

I have Hardy at 65gms/25mins, 9% of the team's point , 16% of the team's wing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Chicagojk - 10-10-2023

ESPN top 100 (51-100) released today

100- Mitchell Robinson
99- Valaciunas
98- Collin Sexton
97- Grant Williams
96- Harrison Barnes
95- Jalen Williams
94-Russ
93- Mike Conley

90- John Collins
89- Robert Williams
84- Clint Capela
70- Walker Kessler
62- KP

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - SleepingHero - 10-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 01:08 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I have Hardy at 65gms/25mins, 9% of the team's point , 16% of the team's wing.

I also have Hardy with 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Scott41theMavs - 10-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 01:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I also have Hardy with 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain.

Well-played.

NBA GMs pick the Mavs 9th in the west. On who they would build a franchise around they have Luka 4th. Behind Jokic, Wemby and Giannis.

(10-10-2023, 01:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I also have Hardy with 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain.

Alright, that's hilarious!

OK, these numbers make more sense...

Luka - 68gms, 36mins (29point,7wing)
Kyrie - 65gms, 38mins (8point,30wing)
Green - 65gms, 30mins (6point,24wing)
Hardy - 65gms, 25mins (6point,19wing)
Curry - 60gms, 16mins (3point,13wing)
Exum - 50gms, 14mins (11point,3wing)
THJ - 70gms, 15mins (15wing)
DJJ - 60gms, 14mins (7wing,7bigs)
Omax - 30gms, 15mins (2wing,14bigs)
Gwill - 75gms, 30mins (2wing,28bigs)
Maxi - 40gms, 25mins (25bigs)
Morris - 50gms, 16mins (16bigs)
Lively - 60gms, 20mins (20bigs)
Powell - 75gms, 19mins (19bigs)
Holmes - 41gms, 13mins (13bigs)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Mavs2021 - 10-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 01:44 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: NBA GMs pick the Mavs 9th in the west.  On who they would build a franchise around they have Luka 4th.  Behind Jokic, Wemby and Giannis.

If anybody needed a writing on the wall. Here you have it. We talk about the Giannis chase. Here is the race the rest of the NBA GMs really prepare for.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - HoosierDaddyKid - 10-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 04:17 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If anybody needed a writing on the wall. Here you have it. We talk about the Giannis chase. Here is the race the rest of the NBA GMs really prepare for.

Joker and Giannis have won titles. They got it right.

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1711838753868677478?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1711864143207133369?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Thoughts?

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - surfpuckmd - 10-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 08:22 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1711838753868677478?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1711864143207133369?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Thoughts?
I was one of the loudest voices calling for DJJ in free agency.  Jones has been a quality rotation player for years.  Hopefully, Kidd can figure out that he's an ideal backup 4 on this roster.  OMax needs some development and experience in the G-league.  Rookies are rarely prepared to make a positive impact on playoff-caliber teams.  OMax is no exception (but Lively might be).

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - SleepingHero - 10-10-2023

Okay, time for some preseason overreaction takes:

Dereck Lively: WAY more polished than I ever expected. He looks good. The talent is there. Despite that he is not a starting center ready to go....yet. Is this another case of SleepingHero missing on a draft pick, except this time its a positive result? (Yes I did think Justin Anderson and Ricky Ledo had a shot).

Dante Exum: He is going to be the most impactful role player off the bench this season by a long shot. I hope the Mavs put him in a hyperbaric chamber before and after every game to ensure he can last an entire season. 

Maxi Kleber: Looks like he lost more than a step. I always assumed he'd continue to be that versatile switch big who can hit a 3, but it looks like he can barely shuffle his feet. Mavs should sell as high as possible before other teams get wind.

Jaden Hardy: His prolific scoring cannot be questioned. He's got it. Yet there isn't a shot on the court that will make him think "nah better not". It works sometimes, most of the time he looks like a foolish chucker. It's obvious he's worked on his playmaking skills and he's looking for the lob more. I like to see that. Still, can be please not become Melo 2.0 with even worse efficiency? 

Diamond Powell: He is still Diamond Dwight. The oft infuriating, consistent, head bashing Dwight. He needs to play less than 10mpg. Will he this season? Spoiler: He's going to start 41 games @20mpg.

Richaun Holmes: The fact I'm sitting here questioning whether or not Bertans is actually more playable than him should tell you all you need to know. He's cooked. I can see the odd game where he catches fire in the PnR but the defense alone should make him glued to the bench for the entirety of his stay here. 

Grant Williams: He's a lot smaller on the court than I expected, despite knowing he was 6'6 on a good day. But he does definitely play bigger than his size suggests. He gives Luka a run for his money for the slowest mfer out there, but I can see the potential of having him be our mini Draymond. Several times against Madrid I saw Grant push the pace, and more often than not, make a great pass for an easy shot. More of that please. Solid pickup. But I don't know if he's going to be this massive game changer. If we can get 2-3 more quality guys like him then we're cooking with something!

DJJ: Had inconsistent spurts, but he can defend. He can jump. He is 1 dimensional.

Green: Okay you've gotten better. Please continue little Greenie and take us home.

Luka: There is a disturbing trend dating back to the playoffs of 2021 where the Mavs look more engaged/better when Luka is on the bench. I know for a fact Luka can and could play well in a ball movement type of system. So that leads me to...

Kidd: He might be undoubtedly the worst coach in the NBA and I don't say this lightly. After Silas got the boot, I'm struggling to see who might be worse. Okay maybe Billups. I think he is the major cog holding this team back. The sets the Mavs run makes my blood boil at times.

Overall any confidence I had going into this season has been shattered. I do not think this is a very good team, or at least a team that can hold up against the giants in the West/East. I fear another .500 filled with some of the most frustrating basketball to ever grace Mavs history. And when you have a guy like Luka Doncic on your team feeling like this should be incomprehensible. But I don't really see anything new. It feels like teams have scouted the Mavs and the game plan rarely changes. They play uninspired. The mistakes they make remind me of when the Mavs were intentionally trying to lose way back when from 2016-2018. It hurts to see this. I hope I'm wrong.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Jym - 10-11-2023

(10-10-2023, 11:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Okay, time for some preseason overreaction takes:

Dereck Lively: WAY more polished than I ever expected. He looks good. The talent is there. Despite that he is not a starting center ready to go....yet. Is this another case of SleepingHero missing on a draft pick, except this time its a positive result? (Yes I did think Justin Anderson and Ricky Ledo had a shot).

Dante Exum: He is going to be the most impactful role player off the bench this season by a long shot. I hope the Mavs put him in a hyperbaric chamber before and after every game to ensure he can last an entire season. 

Maxi Kleber: Looks like he lost more than a step. I always assumed he'd continue to be that versatile switch big who can hit a 3, but it looks like he can barely shuffle his feet. Mavs should sell as high as possible before other teams get wind.

Jaden Hardy: His prolific scoring cannot be questioned. He's got it. Yet there isn't a shot on the court that will make him think "nah better not". It works sometimes, most of the time he looks like a foolish chucker. It's obvious he's worked on his playmaking skills and he's looking for the lob more. I like to see that. Still, can be please not become Melo 2.0 with even worse efficiency? 

Diamond Powell: He is still Diamond Dwight. The oft infuriating, consistent, head bashing Dwight. He needs to play less than 10mpg. Will he this season? Spoiler: He's going to start 41 games @20mpg.

Richaun Holmes: The fact I'm sitting here questioning whether or not Bertans is actually more playable than him should tell you all you need to know. He's cooked. I can see the odd game where he catches fire in the PnR but the defense alone should make him glued to the bench for the entirety of his stay here. 

Grant Williams: He's a lot smaller on the court than I expected, despite knowing he was 6'6 on a good day. But he does definitely play bigger than his size suggests. He gives Luka a run for his money for the slowest mfer out there, but I can see the potential of having him be our mini Draymond. Several times against Madrid I saw Grant push the pace, and more often than not, make a great pass for an easy shot. More of that please. Solid pickup. But I don't know if he's going to be this massive game changer. If we can get 2-3 more quality guys like him then we're cooking with something!

DJJ: Had inconsistent spurts, but he can defend. He can jump. He is 1 dimensional.

Green: Okay you've gotten better. Please continue little Greenie and take us home.

Luka: There is a disturbing trend dating back to the playoffs of 2021 where the Mavs look more engaged/better when Luka is on the bench. I know for a fact Luka can and could play well in a ball movement type of system. So that leads me to...

Kidd: He might be undoubtedly the worst coach in the NBA and I don't say this lightly. After Silas got the boot, I'm struggling to see who might be worse. Okay maybe Billups. I think he is the major cog holding this team back. The sets the Mavs run makes my blood boil at times.

Overall any confidence I had going into this season has been shattered. I do not think this is a very good team, or at least a team that can hold up against the giants in the West/East. I fear another .500 filled with some of the most frustrating basketball to ever grace Mavs history. And when you have a guy like Luka Doncic on your team feeling like this should be incomprehensible. But I don't really see anything new. It feels like teams have scouted the Mavs and the game plan rarely changes. They play uninspired. The mistakes they make remind me of when the Mavs were intentionally trying to lose way back when from 2016-2018. It hurts to see this. I hope I'm wrong.

Not even a hint of a structured offense and nagging injuries from Luka and Kyrie are killing my optimism
Which sucks since I'm rather happy with the pieces around them.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - ItsGoTime - 10-11-2023

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wnS4H5mejQE

The LAC gameplan against Dallas. Let Luka cook for 3 quarters and get tired. Attack him on the defensive side.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Chicagojk - 10-11-2023

It is tough to determine what is real in preseason. What I am always looking for is a crispness and connection with the team. With such a newer roster, it probably doesn't help that they are traveling across the world. Stein mentioned they haven't had time to practice much. Plus, you have to factor in some tired legs with travel.

Regardless, seeing Kryie and Luka dinged is concerning. Probably both minor but we saw these dings last year as well. It really stresses we need to get off to a good start. Because games will be missed throughout the year. So I imagine we begin with a mostly veteran lineup (minus Lively) to begin the year and try to break the other youngsters in slowly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Nowitzki Way - 10-11-2023

(10-10-2023, 11:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Okay, time for some preseason overreaction takes:

I'm seeing this the same way:

This is not a good team.  We've all questioned their roster building around Luka, but i think last off season (Brunson out / McGee in) was the worst. 

The draft gave us all hope because we maneuvered around and dropped salary while picking up an extra 1st rounder. When was the last time the Mavs did this? We were all excited.  We figured we had a huge plan for free agency. In Nico we trust right?

Well, not really. We added a 19 year old center who may or may not be ready to gives us 15 minutes a game. We added a raw but athletic wing who looks completely lost out there. Get familiar with Frisco OMax.  

Then in free agency we start out by adding Seth Curry? An undersized shooting guard off the bench. Wait, dont we already have two of those in THJ and Hardy?

We follow that up with bringing back the softest "big man" in the league in Powell. To pair him with Maxi Kleber again. Kleber is done folks. The injuries have completely nuked his athleticism. 

Grant Williams. Ok, so there maybe we have something.  But wasnt this a guy who couldnt even get on the court for the Celtics come play off time. He's an undersized 4, on a team that is already criminally undersized. 

We signed Kyrie. I was rooting for this, no doubt. But. But. We are are all still questioning his fit with Luka and this team. Can they co-exist? When will Kyrie start to pull Kyrie things? All stuff that keeps Mavs fans up at night.

At this point in the pre season, Dante Exum looks like the best pick up.  

Guys, we are doomed. This season is over before it even started. We will struggle to win 40 games. And that may not be a bad thing. Team Tank here we come!!!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 10-11-2023

Oh man, we already got a lot of team tankers before we've even seen the team play. Going to be a rough November because of all the travel and not really getting a lot of practice time with the actual rotation because of injuries so I'm expecting team tank to get real loud real early no matter what happens in the second half of the season.

Even with everything falling apart last year we still won 38 games. I think going from literally zero players on the roster being able to defend wings to have a bunch of options to try out has to increase our win total by a handful of games. We'll see though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Next Preseason game Saturday - Ghost of Podkolzin - 10-11-2023

SF...
I still say that the only way to make the Luka/Kyrie starting combo work is with a big and defensive minded SF (OG type). OMax may fulfill this role at some point, but I don't see that point this year. He needs to be looking for a condo in Frisco, not Dallas. I like J.Green, but he is too small for this role and is not a rebounder.
Thoughts on Holmes/27FRP for KPJ/Eason? Start Eason. J.Green as your 6th man.

Center...
We now see why we were given the #24 pick to take on Holmes. Shot. Done. Maxi? Shot. Done. Powell? He didn't have a tremendous amount of talent as a baseline; now age has diminished even that greatly. Lively? He's so raw and foul-troubled. This was a known fact, but out of necessity it seems we're going to run him out there as a starter. This scares me. Most starting centers don't get big minutes. I really think we need a starting caliber C to platoon with Lively.
Thoughts on Zubac, Z.Collins, ???