MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - ItsGoTime - 09-29-2023

For me, the biggest and best news of the presser was Lively bulking up to 240 lbs. That 10 lbs will be HUGE for him IMO. That makes me think he possibly could be ready a bit sooner, as long as he can navigate foul trouble pretty well.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - Jym - 09-29-2023

the Locked on Mavs guys have dropped interviews with Kyrie and Lively. Nothing really new but gotta love the vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/@LockedOnMavericks/videos

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - OBX Maverick - 09-29-2023

(09-29-2023, 05:36 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: For me, the biggest and best news of the presser was Lively bulking up to 240 lbs. That 10 lbs will be HUGE for him IMO. That makes me think he possibly could be ready a bit sooner, as long as he can navigate foul trouble pretty well.

I was a bit surprised to see that Lively is about the same weight that Tyson is/was.   That’s gotta be a good sign that he might be ready to play sooner than later…

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - DanSchwartzgan - 09-30-2023

I don't recall if this was posted during the draft process or not, but I'm suddenly starved for Dereck Lively content.  It is a really nice look at his upbringing.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6SATXJqJk

One analyst I watched recently described him as a higher character Mitchell Robinson.  He ranks Robinson as the 13th best center and thinks Lively could get to about #8 in a few years.  Here is what Robinson posted his rookie year:

Minutes   20.6
Points      7.3
RB's        6.4
BLK         2.4
ORat       140
DRat       106
PER         22.0
TS%       .692
WS          6.1
BPM         2.5
VORP       1.6

Robinson started 19 games as a rookie averaging 25 minutes in those games.  Other NY starting centers that season were Jordan, Kornet and Enes Kantor.  I suspect Lively will get more starts than that, but the 25 minute average in his starts probably holds.  NY was horrible that season, so hopefully the comparison doesn't carry to team success.  But, if Lively can post anything close to what Robinson did as a rookie, I think we'll all be pretty happy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - KillerLeft - 09-30-2023

(09-30-2023, 07:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't recall if this was posted during the draft process or not, but I'm suddenly starved for Dereck Lively content.  It is a really nice look at his upbringing.   

One analyst I watched recently described him as a higher character Mitchell Robinson.  He ranks Robinson as the 13th best center and thinks Lively could get to about #8 in a few years.  Here is what Robinson posted his rookie year:

Minutes   20.6
Points      7.3
RB's        6.4
BLK         2.4
ORat       140
DRat       106
PER         22.0
TS%       .692
WS          6.1
BPM         2.5
VORP       1.6

Robinson started 19 games as a rookie averaging 25 minutes in those games.  Other NY starting centers that season were Jordan, Kornet and Enes Kantor.  I suspect Lively will get more starts than that, but the 25 minute average in his starts probably holds.  NY was horrible that season, so hopefully the comparison doesn't carry to team success.  But, if Lively can post anything close to what Robinson did as a rookie, I think we'll all be pretty happy.

I really don't think it's a stretch to expect Lively to contribute a little this year, IF:

They keep expectations confined to a few, specific, skills that complement the overall team strategy and both he and they work really hard to master that truncated, entry-level skillset. I don't think he'll get them to the finals or anything, and it might even cost them some wins, here and there, but to me, it would save time in the long run if he's up to it.

JamesConway912 - JamesConway912 - 09-30-2023

Marc Stein: „I think we have really reached the point already. Lively would have to play his way OUT of the starting spot in the exhibition games. That’s at least the way it reads to me.“

RE: JamesConway912 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-30-2023

(09-30-2023, 03:34 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Marc Stein: „I think we have really reached the point already. Lively would have to play his way OUT of the starting spot in the exhibition games. That’s at least the way it reads to me.“

@Coopz___

Also said, that he’s been told that Josh Green has looked really good, as well
12:25 PM · Sep 30, 2023
·
Views

Bullock getting bought out.  If he’s as much of a net negative this year as he was last year, here’s hoping he lands with a contender in the west.

Taken from Sefant in Discord:

https://postimg.cc/NLn6KkDm

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 09-30-2023

Where are the Stein quotes coming from? His radio show?

(09-30-2023, 04:55 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Where are the Stein quotes coming from? His radio show?

Yes.  He’ll eventually put out a link or edit it down to a podcast.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - RoyTarpleysGhost - 09-30-2023

(09-30-2023, 07:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't recall if this was posted during the draft process or not, but I'm suddenly starved for Dereck Lively content.  It is a really nice look at his upbringing.   

Minutes   20.6
Points      7.3
RB's        6.4
BLK         2.4
WS          6.1
BPM         2.5
VORP       1.6

I will take the under on pretty much every number.

If he’s going over, the Mavs will be better than I expect. So I guess I hope I’m wrong.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - KillerLeft - 09-30-2023

(09-30-2023, 05:27 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I will take the under on pretty much every number.

If he’s going over, the Mavs will be better than I expect. So I guess I hope I’m wrong.

That's the spirit, my dude!!!!!!!

[Image: 22a0cb27-b60a-40f8-b849-24b1250c9fec_text.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - JamesConway912 - 10-01-2023

(09-30-2023, 04:55 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Where are the Stein quotes coming from? His radio show?

Sry forgot the link, here:

https://x.com/thesteinline/status/1708206545723441192?s=46&t=-bN4oD2OLU_Ue80HIM_CZQ

After the Milwaukee-talk

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - DanSchwartzgan - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 01:00 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Sry forgot the link, here:

https://x.com/thesteinline/status/1708206545723441192?s=46&t=-bN4oD2OLU_Ue80HIM_CZQ

After the Milwaukee-talk

He literally says two things about Dallas (things quoted above).  The show is basically...

Milwaukee Talk
"I hear Josh Green looks really good"
The quote about Lively feeling like the starter 
Powell Interview
Talk about the cancellation of "Winning Time"

RE: MAVS NEWS: Mavs Media Day - DanSchwartzgan - 10-01-2023

(09-30-2023, 05:27 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I will take the under on pretty much every number.

I think the BPM is probably the only one he can't get to.  Below are Powell's numbers in 21-22 compared to Robinson's.  This is the role Lively is stepping into and Lively is a much better rebounder and shot blocker.  I don't think this is crazy talk...

MR         DP
Minutes   20.6        21.9 

Points      7.3           8.7
RB's        6.4           4.9
BLK         2.4           0.5
WS          6.1           8.2
BPM         2.5          0.9
VORP       1.6          1.3

RE: MAVS NEWS: First Preseason game Thursday - surfpuckmd - 10-03-2023

I listened to the player's interviews on Locked on Mavericks and I was really impressed.  It's striking how intelligent so many of our players are.  You get the impression that guys like Grant Williams, Derrick Lively and Kyrie Irving would have been really successful in life even if they weren't athletes.  Jaden Hardy is also smart and super-charismatic.  Josh Green is a bright, likeable guy.  I've listened and watched some OMax interviews as well and that's another extremely intelligent young man.  I think it's remarkable and I believe the Mavericks are prioritizing players who are intelligent on and off the court.  

If Jason Kidd has a type, I think it is high IQ player who works on defense. I don't think Kidd is a very good coach but I am impressed that the organization is accumulating high IQ players.   I believe that's why he hated Christian Wood and Javale McGee.  I don't think they are as intelligent as most of the players on our current roster.  

I think it's notable and something different than the regular Dwight and THJ arguments that dominate this message board.  This is a really high-IQ team.

RE: MAVS NEWS: First Preseason game Thursday - Nowitzki Way - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 04:16 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: If Jason Kidd has a type, I think it is high IQ player who works on defense. I don't think Kidd is a very good coach but I am impressed that the organization is accumulating high IQ players.   I believe that's why he hated Christian Wood and Javale McGee.  I don't think they are as intelligent as most of the players on our current roster.  

I agree the Mavs have a type, and most of our players are very bright and intelligent men.  

I have no idea about CWood, but Javale is often misunderstood. He's had some goofy moments on the court and he gets shed in a bad light. But, he's a very smart guy. He's had a lot of success outside the court, and has many different interests. 

I think Javale the man fits the mold of what they want, but Javale the player did not.

RE: MAVS NEWS: First Preseason game Thursday - SleepingHero - 10-03-2023

[Image: F7hjcJ8WEAARlpM.jpg?width=1804&height=1016]

RE: MAVS NEWS: First Preseason game Thursday - DallasMaverick - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 10:35 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: F7hjcJ8WEAARlpM.jpg?width=1804&height=1016]

Any haters want to rag on Cuban for appearing in the team picture? Or Kidd?

RE: MAVS NEWS: First Preseason game Thursday - ItsGoTime - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:49 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Any haters want to rag on Cuban for appearing in the team picture? Or Kidd?
Huh? What a weird thing to say. I mean, what about Nico or Finley?